JOHN CLEMENT JUSTIN,
JOHN CLEMENT JUSTIN, M.D., of Guttenberg,
N. J., son of Rev. John Justin and Catharine Westerfeld, was
born in the Town of Union, Hudson County, September 26, 1868.
He began his education in the public schools of his native town,
spent a year and a half in the employ of the Equitable Life Assurance
Society, and was graduated from Hasbrouck Institute, Jersey City,
in 1885, and from New York University in the arts and sciences
with the degree of B.A. in 1889. In 1891 he began the study of
medicine at the Medical Department of the University of the City
of New York, from which he was graduated with the degree of M.D.
in 1893. He immediately entered Heidelberg Hospital in Germany,
where he remained one year, and then took special courses in
the Würzburg hospitals. After ward he traveled through the
principal cities of Germany, visiting hospitals, and thence went
to Switzerland, Italy, France, and England.
Returning to America, Dr. Justin
substituted for Dr. Exton, of Arlington, for a period of two
months, and in the fall of 1894 began the practice of his profession
in Guttenberg, and afterward built his present residence in West
New York, Hudson County, where he continues to reside.
Dr. Justin has already achieved
success as a physician and surgeon, and throughout the section
in which he has acquired an extensive practice is highly esteemed
and respected. His ability, integrity, and genial good nature
have won for him the confidence of the community. He is a member
of the Royal Arcanum, of the Knights of Honor, of the Order of
American Mechanics, and of the Foresters of America.
November 26, 1895, Dr. Justin married
Ottilie Katherine Kothe, daughter of William and Ottilie Katherine
(Fuchs) Kothe, of the Town of Union, N. J. They have one son
living, viz.: John Clement Justin, Jr., born October 10, 1897.
History of Hudson and Bergen Counties, New Jersey, Editor,
Cornelius Burnham Harvey, The New Jersey Genealogical Publishing
Company, 1900, pages 200-201.