Genealogy and Local History
Return to home page
Probably the first regular medical practitioner in the Champlain Valley, at least on the west side of the lake, was the subject of this sketch.
Dr. John Miller was born in Dutchess county, New York, March 15th, 1760. He was one of the pioneer settlers of Plattsburgh, coming hither with Judge Zephaniah Platt's family, in 1795.
He purchased large tracts of land in the town, and for more than forty years resided at the head of Broad street, building the house, since enlarged and beautified, which is now the residence of Mr. Geo. W. Hartwell.
His farm extended from the Saranac River on the south to the estate of Judge William Bailey on the north, and west to the Viel Allen place, now owned and occupied by Mr. M. Sowles.
As was the fashion of that early time, he traveled about the country on horseback, and carried his saddle-bags slung across his saddle. In this way, Dr. Miller came and went in the homes of the early inhabitants, riding long distances in the country as well as practicing among the families of the little, but important village. He did this for many years, till poor health forced him to give it up in favor of Dr. Benjamin Mooers, who was a student in his office and a life-long friend.