Genealogy and Local History
Return to home page
Plattsburg, a post-town and port of entry, capital of Clinton co., N.Y., in Plattsburg township, at the mouth of the Saranac River, which here enters Cumberland Bay, a part of Lake Champlain, and on the New York & Canada Railroad. It is about 155 miles N. of Albany, 20 miles N.W. of Burlington, Vt., and 63 miles S. of Montreal. It has a safe and commodious harbor and extensive water-power, and contains a handsome custom-house, a courthouse, a town hall, 2 hotels, 7 churches, the Plattsburg Academy, 2 national banks, 1 other bank, several saw-mills, flouring-mills, machine-shops, and iron-works. Lumber, iron, and grain are the chief articles of export. Three weekly newspapers are published here. Steamboats ply daily between this port and other places on the lake. On the 11th of September, 1814, Commodore McDonough gained a complete victory over the British fleet in Cumberland Bay, near Plattsburg. About the same time the American General Macomb repulsed a superior land force which, under General Prevost, had attacked the place. Pop. 5139; of the township, 8804.