FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
COCHRAN, Frank T, M. D., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in Coxsackie, N. Y., October 10, 1852. His father, Edwin Cochran, was a native of the same place, and through life was a farmer; his mother was Maria, daughter of Jacob P. Clow. The grandfather of Dr. Cochran was Tunis, a native of the North of Ireland, a man of strong character and a leader in the town of Coxsackie. Frank T. Cochran received his non-professional education in the public schools and academies, and began the study of medicine with Drs. Green and Barnet, which reading he supplemented with a course of lectures at Bellevue Hospital Medical College in New York city. Thence he went to Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in 1872. He immediately began practice in Freehold, Greene county, where he remained until 1876, when he came to Hudson. Here he was built up a gratifying practice, and has won the confidence of the people, not only as a physician, but as a public spirited, intelligent citizen. He has served as city physician a number of years, as coroner one term, and as health officer is now filling his second term. In 1872 he was married to Susie Backus, who died July 7, 1884. He was married, second, to Mary Duffy; she died on April 19, 1900, survived by two daughters, Dorothy and Mary K.
Pages 38 & 39:
COFFIN, Charles Coleman, p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Chatham, October 27, 1854, son of William B. and Caroline (Coleman) Coffin. William B. Coffin, was a native of Old Chatham, was a merchant for a time and an employee of the government on the Pawnee Reservation, in Nebraska. He invented a machine for boring wells and was a broadminded, active and intelligent man. He was married to Caroline Coleman, who died in 1858, survived by three children--Charles C., John D., and Joseph R. He afterward was married to Susan F. Robinson, who bore him one daughter, Lucia. He is deceased. Charles C. coffin, after receiving his education in the common schools, was in the employ of the government for three years in Nebraska. He returned to Chatham in 1871 as superintendent of a farm. He was married to Sarah E. Robinson, and they have one son, George H., who is in the employ of the Boston & Albany Railroad.
COLE, Peter Jacob, of Claverack, was born in the town of Claverack, N. Y., near the village of Mellenville, January 26, 1828, a son of Peter and Mary (New) Cole, one of the third generation from and named for Peter Colle, one of the Palatines who were sent to this country by Queen Anne, and who settled in what is now the town of Germantown, N. Y. After the death of Peter Colle 2d, the subject of this sketch was adopted by his brother, Henry Cole, who removed to Cairo, Greene county, N. Y., in 1853. Peter Jacob Cole returned to his native town the last year of the Civil War, and was employed by the heirs of Frederick Mesick as coachman and gardener, which position he held twenty-eight years, when Mrs. Elseffer, owner of the place, desiring to dispose, of it, he purchased it. The house was built in 1750, and was one of the first hotels in Claverack, known as the Traveler's Rest. It was rebuilt some time in the '50's and changed into a private house. On December 4, 1894, Mr. Cole was married to Mrs. S. J. S. Evory, widow of Peter Snyder Evory, of Cairo, N. Y. Mrs. Cole is a daughter of Joseph Woolley and Elizabeth Storey (Bradshaw) Slater. She was the eldest of five children, and is a direct descendant of Berkeley Slater, who was a grandson of Lord Berkeley, of Berkeley Castle, on the Severn river in England, and can trace her genealogy back to Dorland Slater, who was born in the city of London, England, July 19, 1607. Mrs. Cole's mother was descended in a direct line from Sergeant General Bradshaw, who signed the death warrant of a king of England; she was also a grandniece of Governor Young, one of the early governors of this State. Gov. Daniel B. Tompkins was also related to Mrs. Cole, being first cousin of her grandfather, James Roosevelt Slater, great grandson of Governor Fletcher of New York.
Pages 297 & 298:
COLEMAN, Minnie H.--John Cronk, after the Revolution, came from Westchester county, where he was born, and located in the vicinity of Copake in the year 1785. After working around for the settlers, he married Sarah Chrystler and took up some land on a life lease from the Livingston Patent in Taghkanic, near what is now called the New Forge, to distinguish it from the old forge at Ancram. He cleared the land and built his house, the forge being then quite a settlement, having a grist, saw and carding mills and forge. Mr. Cronk lived here some fifty-three years and was a prosperous farmer. He had a family of twelve children, all, with the exception of three, settling in Yates county. Two sons remained in Taghkanic, Samuel being a storekeeper at the forge and Jeremiah remaining on the farm. Farm land was then very fertile, and the only drawback was the distance to market, New York city, or Hartford, Conn., being the nearest to them. Mr. Cronk made many trips each fall to Hartford with pork and other farm products, occupying several weeks on each trip. The land seemed to be well adapted to rye, and the flour made at the forge had a wide reputation. Later in the season, when sleighing was good, New York was the market. In 1840, Mr. Cronk moved to Penn Yan with his children and died there in 1889. Jeremiah, the youngest son, still occupies the farm, and, on the sale of the Livingston patent, purchased the farm. During the anti-rent troubles he remained neutral, though his lands were often occupied by the non-rent-paying neighbors. He managed to pay his rent as usual, which was $50 a year, five bushels of rye and one pig. The forge settlement is now in a decayed condition; the manor house is destroyed and the fine water power not in use; having no railroad facilities, the place is asleep. Charles Harrison, grandson of John Cronk, and Martin L. Cronk are the only male descendants of the family. Charles has one son, Charles, Jr., and one daughter, Minnie, wife of Dr. Henry H. Coleman, of Mount Vernon, N. Y.
Pages 39 & 40:
COLLIER, Casper P., was born in Coxsackie, Greene county, N. Y., on November 21, 1820. The Collier of Collyer, or Kalyer family were early immigrants to New Amsterdam, and a branch of the family afterward settled in Greene county. Theirs was one of the many Huguenot families that were driven from France to Holland by the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. It is said the name of the Collier who left France was spelled Coliere. Descendants of the Collier who went to Holland from France emigrated to the New World in the early days of the Dutch supremacy. One branch of the Huguenot family went from France to England, from whom, it is said, descended the Rev. Robert Collyer, of New York, and others of the same patronymic or surname in this country. The paternal grandfather of Casper P. Collier was Major Collier, who married Anna Bronk, and was a soldier in the War of 1812. His son Philip, father of Casper P., was born in 1795, and married Christina Hallenbeck, daughter of William Hallenbeck, whose wife was a descendant of the old Dutch family of Van Vechten, then of Catskill, Green county, N. Y. They had nine children, seven daughters and two sons, of whom Casper W. was the oldest. Casper P. Collier obtained his education at the academies of Coxsackie and Kinderhook, and was graduated from Union College. He began the study of law in the office of John Gaul, Jr., at Hudson, and completed his legal studies with Bushnell & Bliss in New York city. He was admitted to the bar in 1845, and immediately began practice in Hudson. At this writing, for fifty-five years Mr. Collier has been an active member of the bar of Columbia county, and now at the age of 80 years he can point back to a record unstained and bright with professional honor and personal integrity. After three years of practice alone he formed a partnership with Hon. Henry Hogeboom, which continued until 1854, when Mr. Hogeboom was elected judge of the Supreme Court, and shortly thereafter took into partnership his brother, Isaac N. Collier, which continued until Isaac N. was elected Surrogate. The business of the firm has been general, and its clientage large, including several monetary and manufacturing corporations. In 1872, Mr. Collier was nominated by the Democrats for Congress, but was defeated, his party in the district being largely in the minority. In 1875 he was a prominent candidate for the bench of the Supreme Court, but, while his fitness for the high honor was freely acknowledged, the question of location had a bearing on the appointment, and he did not receive it. In 1848, Mr. Collier was married to Miss Mary, daughter of Coert Du Bois. Their children living are one son, Du Bois Collier, and two daughters, Mary and Anna.
COLLIER, Rev. George Zabriskie, of Claverack, was born in Freehold, N. J., April 9, 1862, a son of Rev. Ezra Warren and Elizabeth (Zabriskie) Collier. His mother was a sister of Rev. F. N. Zabriskie, D. D., who for many years was pastor of the Reformed Church of Claverack. In early life Mr. Collier attended Rutgers Grammar School and after graduating from that institution entered Rutgers College, from which he was graduated in the class of 1883; he then entered New Brunswick Theological Seminary, from which he was graduated in 1886. His first charge was the Reformed Church at Stuyvesant Landing, where he remained from 1886 to 1889, and then removed to the Reformed Church at Alexandria Bay. He stayed there until 1896, then moved to Grand Haven, Mich., as pastor of the Second Reformed Church, and was there until 1900, when he came to Claverack and located in Mellenville. Mr. Collier comes from a family who were all ministers, his uncle, Edward Collier, being located in Kinderhook, where he has been pastor of the Reformed Church for thirty-six years, and his uncle, Joseph, was in the ministry for twelve years, or until his death in 1864. On June 4, 1890, Mr. Collier married Delia Wilson, of Stuyvesant, daughter of Elijah and Eliza (Vought) Wilson; they have four daughters, Elizabeth Zabriskie, born September 27, 1981; Florence Wilson, born April 15, 1894; Delia Wilson, born September 29, 1897, and Katharine Frances, born October 30, 1899.
Pages 42 & 43:
COLLIER, Gerrit Sager, was born in Coxsackie N. Y., July 15, 1843, a son of Jonas Collier and Hannah (Sager) Collier. Mr. Collier was prepared for college at the Hudson River Institute (Claverack), and was graduated from Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., in June, 1868. He read law in the office of C. P. & I. N. Collier, of Hudson, N. Y., and was admitted to the bar of New York in June, 1870. In September, 1872, he entered upon the practice of law in Kinderhook, N. Y., and is still engaged in the practice of his profession at that place. He was elected a director of the National Union Bank of Kinderhook in July 1882, vice-president in 1886, and president in 1892, which position he still holds. On October 4, 1876, Mr. Collier married Miss Lydia M. Bain, of Kinderhook, N. Y. Their children and Guy B., born July 12, 1877, who is now a member of the senior class at Harvard University, and Maude W., born October 16, 1882, who is now a senior at Dana Hall School, Wellesley, Mass. Mrs. Collier died August 31, 1883, and in October, 1886, Mr. Collier married Miss Ella G. Sweet, of Kinderhook, N. Y. Their children are Chester W., born September 21, 1887, and Charles S., born September 21, 1889. Mr. Collier is a member of the Psi Upsilon Fraternity, Theta Chapter, of Union College, and also of the Phi Beta Kappa Society at Union.
Pages 298 & 299
COLLIER, Isaac N., of Hudson, son of Philip and Christina (Hallenbeck) Collier, was born in Coxsackie, Greene county, N. Y., October 19, 1834. His father was also a native of Coxsackie and through life was a farmer. The Collier, or Collyer, or Kalyer, family were early immigrants to New Amsterdam and a branch of the family settled in Greene county. They were one of the many Huguenot families that were driven from France to Holland by the revocation of the Edict of Nantes and who emigrated to the New World in the early days of the Dutch supremacy. One branch of the Huguenot family went to England, whence was derived the American ancestor of the Rev. Robert Collyer, of New York. Major Collier, grandfather of Isaac N., married Anna Bronk and was a soldier in the War of 1812. His son, Philip father of Isaac N., was born in 1795 and married Christina Hallenbeck daughter of William Hallenbeck, a descendant of the Van Vechten family of Albany; they had nine children, seven daughters and two sons, of whom Isaac N. was the youngest of the sons. Isaac N. Collier obtained his early education in the public schools of Coxsackie and pursued his collegiate course at Union College, from which he was graduated in 1850. He took up the study of law in the office of Ten Broeck & Van Order, and was admitted to the bar on May 26, 1857. In 1858 he removed to Hudson and for forty-two years has been in active practice in that city. He has served as recorder of the city of Hudson, and for eighteen years was surrogate of Columbia county. He is vice-president of the First National Bank. Isaac N. has inscribed his life's history upon the scrolls of Hudson city and Columbia county in letters of iron. The record of nearly half a century in the practice of the law, quite one-half of that as a public servant, without a smirch on the escutcheon of his character, is a higher and worthier reward than all the insignia of royal orders can confer--a man of rectitude, sterling integrity, unquestioned ability and comprehensive intelligence, with a love for his profession that has made him one of its brightest lights. Isaac N. Collier may be counted with that body of worthy men who have given to the city of Hudson more than a State reputation.
Pages 299 & 302:
COLLIER, Frederick Joseph, of Hudson, is one of the firm of Collier, Collier & Browning, No. 609 Warren Street, Hudson. They not only have an extensive general law practice, but give special attention to a great amount of corporate and probate business which falls to their share, Mr. F. J. Collier being peculiarly well versed in such matters. On both his father's and mother's side he is descended from professional men, lawyers and preachers predominating in every generation. He belongs to the Huguenot Society of America; and this indicates his pride in his heritage from a refugee who sought these shores in the exile of over two centuries ago, when the grand Edict of Nantes, which had hitherto guaranteed religious toleration, was infamously revoked by Louis XIV, thus paralyzing some of the most prosperous regions of La Belle France by driving out thousands of her best families. The steps of the Collier descent have thus been traced. John Collier came over among the Huguenot immigrants to New England, settled in Cambridge, Mass., and married Hannah Cutter. John Collier had a son James, who was in Framingham, Mass., in 1696, and, seventeen years later, in 1713, became one of the early settlers of the town of Oxford, in the central part of the State, where he died in 1749. About the time of his removal to the new home, James' son Jonas was born, 1713; and there he married Susanna Pratt, 1740, and died in 1795., near the close of the eighteenth century. This Jonas Collier had a son, Jason, born in Oxford in 1744, where he died in 1790. Jason Collier's son Ezra lived in Boylston, near Oxford; was born in 1774, just before the Lexington Massacre; married Fannie Warren in the last year of the century, and died in 1844. This Ezra Collier had a son bearing the same name, who was born near Boylston in 1799, married Mary Shaw Atwood in 1823, became a New York publisher, and died at Williamsburg, L. I., in 1854. This second Ezra had a son, Joseph Avery Collier, the father of the special subject of this sketch, who was born in the Pilgrim town of Plymouth, October 26, 1828, was graduated at Rutgers College in 1849, studied in the Dutch Reformed Theological Seminary at New Brunswick, N. J., was ordained to the ministry over the united churches in Bronxville and Greenville, was afterward settled in Geneva from 1855 to 1859, when he took charge of the Second Reformed church in Kingston, wherewith he was still connected at the time of his death, this sad change occurring in Chatham, August 13, 1864. Though only thirty-six years old, the Rev. Mr. Collier had accomplished a great deal of literary work apart from his pastoral labors, as is shown by this list of his works: "The Right Way, or the Gospel Applied to the Intercourse of Individuals and Nations," 1854; "The Christian Home," 1859; "Young Men of the Bible," 1861; "Little Crowns and How to Gain them," 1862; "Pleasant Paths for Little Feet," 1864; his last book was not published until 1865, the next year after his decease, but bears the appropriated title, "Dawn of Heaven," and is prefaced by a biographical sketch, prepared by his brother, the Rev. Ezra Collier. The wife of the Rev. J. A. Collier, was born September 23, 1856, while his father was preaching in Geneva, and was only three years old when they removed to the Kingston pastorate. His first mental training, apart from home, was in the private schools of that town; but, after his father's death, when Frederick was only eight years old, the widowed mother came to Hudson and there her boy attended the public schools from his ninth to his fourteenth year. He was fitted for college in the Hudson Academy, as it was then called. At seventeen he entered Rutgers College (where his father also had studied) in New Brunswick, N. J., and was the valedictorian of the class of 1878. During his course he won several college prizes, and belonged to two of the Greek letter societies -- the Delta Phi and Phi Beta Kappa. Having decided upon law as his profession, young Collier began its study with Hon. I. N. Collier, of Hudson, the surrogate of Columbia county, for whom he acted as clerk. Two years later, in 1880, he was admitted to the bar, and, serving a while as clerk in the office, became a member of its present firm. Like most college men, he is thoroughly interested in college work, and in June, 1891, was chosen a life trustee of his Alma Mater. In 1886 he was elected a member of the Hudson board of education, and has been its president; and it is partly through his efforts, beginning with his first term of public school service, that the time-honored Hudson Academy, with its valuable property, was transferred to the city as a public high school. His marriage took place in 1884 to Margaret Mulford. Her father was James Mulford, a Hudson lawyer, who, like Mr. Collier's father, died in the prime of his career, and whose wife was Mary, the daughter of Henry A. Du Bois. Though never a partisan politician, Mr. Collier is well known as a Republican, and has often been a delegate to the party conventions. In religion he holds the faith of his fathers, and belongs to the Reformed church. His legal training has naturally led him into various enterprises outside of his regular profession, and, besides being a director in several other corporations, he is vice-president of the Hudson and Chester Granite Company, whose works are in Chester, though the business office is in Hudson. He is attorney of the Firth Carpet Company, and has the over-sight of many shares belonging to English owners.
Pages 302 & 303:
COLLIN, Mrs. Lucy. -- John Bingham Collin was born in the town of Hillsdale, in April, 1840. At the beginning of the Civil War he was the first volunteer in his town to enlist in the army as a private, and served during the war, being mustered out with the rank of brevet major. He married Lucy, daughter of Norton S. Collin. Mr. Collin died October 8, 1894. Mrs. Collin has traveled extensively both at home and abroad and devotes he life to art.
CONKEY, Mrs. Georgiana S., of Coxsackie Station, N. Y. -- Charles Franklin Conkey was born at Amherst, Mass., May 8, 1819. He was a son of John and Eunice Conkey, natives of Massachusetts. When he was four years old his parents removed to Troy, N. Y. Here he attended the public schools, and being of a studious nature and ready perceptive faculties, he perfected himself in several advanced studies, particularly in music, to which during his whole life he was ardently devoted; he was organist at St. John's Episcopal Church in Troy for many years. He was a man of naturally broad intelligence, of a kindly nature, sympathetic and of high moral character. He was well and widely known for his charitable work, which he carried on without ostentation, actuated solely by his innate sympathies and desire to better the condition of his less fortunate fellow men. When a young man he engaged in banking, which he followed a number of years. Later he became interested in malting and owned one of the larges malt houses in the State. In all his business relations his honorable methods and strict integrity were marked characteristics. On the 31st of March, 1868, he was married to Georgiana S., daughter of John and Mary C. Stockman, of Boston, Mass. They became residents of Troy, but had a summer residence in Stuyvesant. They had three children: Georgiana, Charles F. (deceased), and Mary R. (deceased). Mr. Conkey died February 28, 1891, and his loss was keenly felt in Troy and throughout Columbia county, where he had a wide acquaintance.
CONKLIN, Adelbert, of Copake, was born in the eastern part of the town of Taghkanic, N. Y., a son of Jacob and Polly (Link) Conklin, who had ten children, as follows: Mary, Jacob, Walter, James Henry, Allen, Morgan, Minnie, Adelbert, Adella, and Emma, all born in the town of Taghkanic. Jacob Conklin was a son of James and Patty (Covert) Conklin, and was a farmer and dealer in sheep and cattle. Adelbert was educated in the common schools of Taghkanic, and was associated with his father in farming until the latter's death in 1887, with the exception of two years spent in Philmont in mercantile trade. At the age of twenty-seven he removed with his father to the town of Copake and settled on the old Conklin homestead, where he remained four years, and went thence to Craryville, where he remained till 1891, when he purchased his present property, known as the Beach House, on the shore of Copake Lake, and the finest summer resort in this section of the State. He is a member of Hillsdale Lodge No. 615, F. & A. M. He is a progressive man, and awake to measures benefiting the general good.
COOK, Alonzo, born in Amenia, June 16, 1816, died at his residence in Ancram, November 23, 1899, was twice married, his first wife being Mary Ann Northup, who died May 9, 1848; they had one daughter, born December 12, 1846, who became the wife of Orville A. Wheeler, and died in November, 1885, leaving children: Mary Almeda (died October 3, 1872), Orville A., Ruth M., and Lena L. His second wife was Cornelia Carscaden; they had five children, as follows: Elizabeth, born March 10, 1851, died November 16, 1856; Cornelia M., born March 27, 1853, married Myres Vosburg, and has children: Ina M., Edna M., and Eva K.; Almeda, born December 17, 1857, married Henry Cook; Lydia A., born September 1, 1861, died December 21, 1885; and Alonzo, Jr., born April 6, 1863, who was associated with his father until the latter's death. When fourteen years old he began speculating in produce and live stock, which he still carries on in connection with his farming. He owns 260 acres of land.
COOK, Collins, of Copake, was born September 16, 1847, son of Collins and Angeline (Wolcott) Cook, who had seven children, as follows: Selina, Lot, Collins, Jr., Sidney, Franklin, Jerdon, and Annie, all born on the farm where Collins, Jr., now lives. Collins Cook, Sr., was a native of Dutchess county, and a son of Lot Collins: he was a very public-spirited man and gave much of his time for the general improvement of his fellow townsmen; he purchased a large tract of land, divided into three farms, upon one of which Collins, Jr., now lives. The latter remained with his parents, after receiving a common school education, until the death of his father in 1871, when he purchased of the other heirs that portion of the estate he now owns, and carries on general farming. He attends the Methodist Episcopal church at Copake Flats. In 1891 he was married to Sarah, daughter of David Pulver, and they have one daughter, Blanche.
COOK, Sidney, of Copake, was born April 15, 1852, son of Collins and Angeline (Wolcott) Cook, whose children were Selina, Lot, Newton, Collins, Jr., Sidney, Franklin, Jared, and Annie, all born on the homestead in the southern part of Copake, where Collins now lives. The latter was a son of Lot Cook, who came from Amenia, N. Y., to Copake. Sidney Cook received a common school education and remained with his father until the latter's death in 1871, when, with his brother Newton, he purchased a part of the homestead farm; this they operated in partnership for a year, when Sidney sold his interest and located in the southern part of the town, where he lived three years. He then purchased the hotel at Copake Iron Works, known as the Taghkanic Inn, which he conducted for five years. The following two years were spent at different pursuits, and in 1883 he bought the farm where he now resides, and has since been engaged in general farming. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Copake. In 1881 he was married to Mary, daughter of William Wright; they have one daughter, Lola.
Pages 43 & 44:
COOK, Abijah Perkins, M. D., of Hudson, was born in Hyde Park, Dutchess county, N. Y., December 2, 1808, and was a son of Dr. George Whitfield Cook. After pursuing his studies in English he, during the early years of his life, entered the Hudson Academy, from which he was graduated with credit. In 1832 he began medical study with his brother, Dr. George W. Cook, in Hudson, and in 1835 was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Fairfield, Herkimer county, N. Y. His practice began in Chatham, Columbia county, N. Y., where he remained four years, removing to Kinderhook in April, 1839. In May, of the following year, he located in Hudson. Here he investigated the merits of homeopathy and finally became a convert to that school of medicine. Previous to this change in his life's work he was honored with the presidency of the Columbia County Medical Society. At a meeting held in Boston in June, 1847, he was elected a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy. In 1865 he was chosen president of the New York State Medical Society, and was elected a permanent member of that body in 1866. At the beginning of the Civil War he was appointed one of the United States pension examining surgeons, and held the position many years. He also filled the office of physician on the board of health in Hudson, and other local positions of honor and responsibility. Dr. Cook achieved a marked degree of success in his profession, and, as a citizen, was respected by the entire community.
Pages 44 & 46:
COOK, Charles Perkins, M. D., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in that city March 17, 1845. He is son of Dr. Abijah Perkins Cook, of Hudson, a sketch of whose life accompanies this notice. His grandfather was Dr. George Whitfield Cook, and his great-grandfather was Col. Ellis Cook, of Hanover, N. J., who was a distinguished soldier of the Revolutionary War. Having completed his early education, Dr. Cook entered Williston Seminary, at East Hampton, Mass., where he graduated with honor. Following the traditions of his immediate ancestors he studied medicine with his father, beginning in 1864. Later he entered the office of Dr. H. M. Paine, of Albany, N. Y., and subsequently studied with Dr. Jacob Beakley, formerly professor of surgery in the Homeopathic Medical College of New York. Dr. Cook's studies extended over a period of four years. He attended lectures in the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Albany, and graduated with distinction from the Homeopathic Medical College in the spring of 1868. Dr. Cook's long period of practice in his native city has been one of continuous and marked success. His attributes as a man and his good citizenship have brought him a large circle of friends, while in his profession he has been repeatedly honored. For thirty years, from 1868 to 1898, he was physician to the Orphan Asylum in Hudson; he has been a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy, and is now a permanent member of the New York State Homeopathic Society. He was appointed Assistant Surgeon-General of the State by Governor Morton, and at the same time became a member of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States. He served several years as health officer of the city, and has received other evidences of the confidence of the community. He now enjoys a large practice and the respect of his fellow citizens.
COOKINGHAM, Frederick Albert, of Claverack, was born in Claverack, October 19, 1854, a son of Peter F. and Elizabeth (Wheeler) Cookingham, one of a family of eleven children, of whom nine are living at this writing. In early life Mr. Cookingham attended the district school, at the same time helping his father with the work on the farm. He remained at home until nearly twenty-one years of age, when he was employed for a time by Walter W. Merrifield. On January 19, 1876, he married Emilie Shufelt, daughter of John I. and Henrietta (Jacobie) Shufelt. Mr. Cookingham then worked for Andrew Hallenbeck, of Greenport, for a season. In the spring of 1877, moved to Mellenville and worked the farm he is now on, on shares for eleven years, and upon the death of John I. Shufelt purchased the farm, which consists of 150 acres. In the spring of 1880 Mr. Cookingham adopted a girl named Jennie Smith, who resided with them until her marriage with George Shafer in 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Cookingham have two children, Mary E., born July 1, 1887, and Thomas A., born November 10, 1890.
Pages 304 & 305:
COON, Henry L, of Hillsdale, was born in Taghkanic, August 24, 1851, a son of Levi (born in 1816), and Mary House, his wife (born in 1822). He was educated in the common schools in Brooklyn, and afterwards came to Hillsdale with his parents, locating on the farm where he now resides. April 13, 1871, he married Almira A., daughter of Ira J. Winchell, who bore him three children: Emma L., born July 25, 1872, married Clinton E. Gibson of Grand Rapids, Mich.; Frederick L., born December 25, 1875, and Henry H., born September 27, 1888. Levi Coon was engaged in the produce and commission business in New York for several years, then came to Hillsdale, where he died, May 21, 1889; his widow died October 20, 1894; he was a member of the Presbyterian church. They were the parents of three children: Catherine, born 1844, married Warren G. Karner of Pittsfield, Mass.; Emma H., born 1846, married S. W. Strahan, now living at Grand Rapids, Mich., and Henry L. Levi Coon's father, Peter S. Coon, was born in Taghkanic in 1784, and his mother, Catherine Decker, was born in Copake in 1790; he was a member of the old State Militia. Mrs. Coon's brother, Henry House, was a grocer in Hudson for fifty years. He removed to Hillsdale and purchased the farm on which Henry L. Coon now resides.
COON, Lewis, p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Red Hook, N. Y., September 7, 1849, son of Robert and Elizabeth Coon, a farmer; they died in 1857 and 1852, respectively. Lewis Coon attended the common schools and learned the carpenter's trade. He settled in Chatham in 1872, and is now engaged as a contracting builder. He has served as assessor nine years, trustee of the village, assessor of the town of Ghent six yeas, and excise commissioner two terms, and was a member of the Odd Fellows eleven years. He was married to Lucy, daughter of William Martin, of Ghent, who died May 20, 1900.
Page 46 & 48:
COONS, Charles H., of Germantown, was born in the town of Germantown, a son of William H. and Maria (Miller) Coons, whose children were Marilla, Margaret, Philip, Mary, Charles H., George, Janette, William, Catherine, all natives of Columbia county. William H. was a son of Henry and Maria Coons, and their children were Henry, Philip, William, Betsey, Margaret, Saucher, and Lina. Charles H. Coons, the subject, was educated in the common schools of the county. When twenty-four years of age he purchased the farm where he now resides and now owns about 225 acres of land. He make a specialty of fruit-farming, and each year puts up about 2,000 barrels of fruits and from 70 to 75 tons of grapes, and is said to be one of the largest fruit growers in the State. On September 8, 1879, Mr. Coons married Augusta M., daughter of William Tompkins, and they have five children: Clara M., Sanford H., Parker W., Gussie May, and Tompkins Co., who married Beulah M., daughter of Cornelius Bathrick. Charles H. take an interest in town and county affairs and is active in school and educational work, having served as trustee of the school many terms. His family are active in church work and are members of the Lutheran church located near his residence, and of which Mr. Coons has been an officer for the past twenty-five years and at the present time one of its trustees.
CORWIN, Allen W., of Hudson, was born in Anderson, Ind., June 18, 1870, son of John E. Corwin, who was a native of Orange county, N. Y. The family trace their descent from Matthias Corwin, who settled at Ipswich, Mass., in 1634. John E. Corwin was married to Alvira, daughter of Allen Makepeace, member of a New England family, who went to Indiana in early days, where he became a prominent trader with the Indians, and also a merchant. Allen W. Corwin was graduated from Princeton College in 1895, and form Harvard Law School in 1898. He then entered the office of Hon. J. Rider Cady, and was admitted as a partner in the firm of Cady & Corwin in 1899, which became Cady, De Lamater & Corwin in 1900, by the admission of E. D. De Lamater. Mr. Corwin has his life's work before him, and, judging from his natural abilities and excellent attainments, there need be no fear that his record will not be a clean and successful one.
CRANDELL, Edwin A., p. o. Chatham Center, N. Y., was born in the town of Chatham, N. Y., November 27, 1835. His father, Jesse Crandell, was born in the town of Ghent, N. Y., in 1800, and was a prominent farmer and a man of influence in the town, holding the offices of supervisor, assessor, and justice of the peace. His wife was Harriet Hall, and their children were James J., died in January, 1848, and Edwin A. Mr. Crandell died in 1888, and his wife in 1882. Edwin A. Crandell received his education in the district schools and Chatham Academy. He has always followed farming, and was commissioner of highways for nine years. He has been twice married. His first wife was Sarah M. Davis, who died in August, 1872, survived by one son, James A. Crandell. His second wife was Emogene, daughter of Jason L. Gifford; she has borne him one daughter, Frances B. Crandell.
Pages 305 & 306:
CRANDELL, Homer, p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Chatham, June 14, 1836. He is a son of Solomon Crandell, a native of the town of Ghent, N. Y., who removed to Chatham in 1829, and was one of the pioneer merchants of the village, was justice of the peace eight years and postmaster twelve years. His wife was Mary E. Wheeler; their children were Homer, and Frank, a resident of Detroit, Mich. Solomon Crandell died in 1879, and his wife in 1878. Homer Crandell attended the common schools and closed his schooling at the Albany Academy. He was eight years bookkeeper with the Wheeler & Melick Company. In 1864 he returned to Chatham and engaged in mercantile trade in the village, which he carried on for twenty-eight years. He is serving his second term as justice of the peace, and is a member of Columbia Lodge No. 98, F. & A. M., and of Chatham Lodge No. 211, I. O. G. T. He was united in marriage with mary, daughter of Ezra Hawley, who has borne him children: Mrs. May (Crandell) Page, Fred H., and Walter S.
Pages 48 & 49:
CREGO, Charles Sackett, of Claverack, was born May 28, 1858, a son of David and Ann H. (Sackett) Crego. In his early life he attended the public schools and the Hudson River Institute. He remained at home until twenty-six years of age, when he bought the place he now occupies. On December 21, 1881, Mr. Crego was married to Mary Burroughs Nelson, daughter of Cornelius and Susan (Burroughs) Nelson, who bore him seven children, as follows: David N., Stanley M., Ernest, Percy D., Charles B., Arthur Van B., and Ralph.
CURE, Charles B., of Hudson, senior member of the building and contracting firm of Cure, Mont Ross & Fitz Gerald, was born in Hudson, N. Y., October 24, 1845, son of Walter G. and Mary E. (Foster) Cure, and grandson of Walter G. and Lucretia Cure. His father was a native of Nantucket, and removed to Hudson with his parents in 1827; he was a mechanic and for many years was connected with the Gifford foundry; his death took place in 1898. Charles B. Cure was educated in Hudson, and for twelve years was steward of the State House of Refuge in Hudson. He has, however, been more widely known as a contractor and builder, among his large contracts being the original county armory and some of the better private residences of the city. The firm with which he is now connected is the contractor for the new county courthouse, which will be completed the present year (1900). Mr. Cure served as alderman in 1876-79, and has been a member of the board of police commissioners and the board of excise; he is a trustee of the Universalist Church, and in every respect a worthy, enterprising and respected citizen. In 1865 he was married to Emily L., daughter of Gorham Winslow
CURTIS, Joel G., was born in North Hillsdale, May 12, 1845, a son of Alfred (born December 26, 1822), and Mary Charlotte (Palmer) (born August 20, 1814) Curtis. His father was engaged in farming and was supervisor of Hillsdale for two years; also commissioner of highways for two years. He died in December, 1884, and his wife on April 10, 1864. Joel G. Curtis was educated in the common schools and Hudson River Institute. After leaving school he engaged in farming and stock raising until 1876, when he engaged in the hay, straw and live stock business. In 1897 he opened a wholesale commission business in live stock at New York city. He was supervisor of Hillsdale in 1881, serving eight years in succession and was chairman of the board three terms. He is a member of Hillsdale Lodge, No. 612, F. & A. M. Mr. Curtis married Philena Althea Downing, daughter of George W. and Betsey Downing; they have one son, Alfred Downing Curtis, who is a member of the firm of J. G. Curtis & Son, wholesale commission dealers in live stock at Union Stock Yards, Sixtieth Street, North River, New York city.