FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
FABYAN, William De Forest, p. o. Philmont, was born in Lancaster, N. H., January 8, 1858, a son of Horace G. and Luella (Cargill) Fabyan, and grandson of Horace G. Fabyan, a native of New Hampshire, and owner of the Fabyan Farm, on which is now the popular summer hotel, known as the Fabyan House, at Fabyan's N. H., in the White Mountains. In early life Dr. Fabyan attended the public schools of his native village and in 1870 he went to Nebraska with his father and stayed on a ranch with him until 1874, when he returned to Brooklyn and took up the study of dentistry in the office of James H. Race. Here he remained twelve years, then removed to Philmont, where he opened an office for himself, and, with the exception of about fourteen months, which he spend in the West, he has been in active business ever since. Dr. Fabyan is a member of Hillsdale Lodge, No. 612, F. & Am. M., Cascade Lodge No. 197, K. P., and K. O. T. M. No. 553.
FARDY, William P., of Hudson, was born in Wexford, Ireland, February 12, 1862, and came to America in 1878. At that time his father, William A. Fardy, was located in Hudson. He was superintendent of the Hudson Gas Works from 1878 until his death in March, 1879. William P. Fardy was appointed superintendent in 1887 and holds the position to the present day. He had learned the gas business of his father, also in Wexford of his grandfather, William. Mr. Fardy has served on term as alderman, is a member of the board of trade, and is one of Hudson's conservative, public-spirited, self-made man.
Pages 74 & 75:
FASSETT, Jacob Potts, of Claverack, was born in Castleton, June 17, 1850, a son of John and Adelia (Potts) Fassett, and can trace his ancestry on his father's side back to the Revolution. He was educated in the district schools, and after leaving school worked for George Eckes, in East Schodack, learning the harness-making and saddlery business. He remained with him three years and then went to Mellenville, where he was engaged in the same line of business with John Eckes for ten years. He next started in business for himself in the block now owned by Mrs. Catherine Anderson, and was there for nineteen years, and then moved to his present location, where he has been for two years. Mr. Fassett was appointed postmaster in 1884, by President Cleveland, and served four years, then retired and was reappointed in 1892, serving until the present administration, when he was deputized as assistant postmaster. He is a member of Hudson Chapter No. 7, F. & A. M., of Hudson. He married Emma Phillips, of Philmont, daughter of Aaron and Ann (Fowler) Phillips; they have three children: Grace Adelia, Laura Phillips, and Emma Gertrude.
FELLER, George W., of Clermont, was born on the farm where he now resides, December 15, 1832, a son of William and Catherine (Fraleigh) Feller, the parents of two children, George W., and Mary, wife of Alfred R. Westfall. Mr. Feller is a grandson of Jacob and Annie (Dillamater) Feller, who had five children: Rachel, wife of Caleb Washburn; Catherine, wife of Samuel Hoyt; William, Sarah, wife of Peter Stickles, and Philip, all born at Copake Flats. Mr. Feller's early life was spent on the farm with his parents; he was educated in the common schools of Clermont and Hudson Academy. His father died December 28, 1869, and his mother August 15, 1881. In 1862 Mr. Feller assumed charge of the home farm, which contains 171 acres, and follows general farming. On October 2, 1855, he married Barbara A. (deceased), daughter of Henry Younghans, and on June 8, 1869, he married Sarah E., (deceased), daughter of John I. Salspaugh. Mr. Feller is active in town and county affairs and has been inspector of elections, assessor, and also represented his town on the board of supervisors. He is also interested in school and educational work and has been connected with his school in an official capacity, as trustee and district clerk, many terms. He has been trustee and elder of the Germantown Lutheran Church many years.
Page 75 & 76:
FEROE, Henry A., of Hudson, was born in Dutchess county, N. Y., May 19, 1845. His father was Peter, and his grandfather was Henry Feroe, one of the early residents of Dutchess county. Peter was an undertaker and dealer in furniture at Tivoli, where he was married to Catherine Wilsey. Henry A. Feroe, after obtaining his education in the public schools of Tivoli, came to Hudson and entered the employ of Peter A. Miller. In 1864 he removed to New York city, where he was eight years engaged in the wholesaling of gentlemen's furnishing goods. In 1872 he returned to Hudson and again was employed by Mr. Miller, with whom he remained until 1882, when he established his present business of men's furnishing goods, hats, caps, etc. Mr. Feroe is one of Hudson's most substantial business men, and has won a position of prominence among his fellow citizens by sheer force of character and progressive intelligence. He has served the city two terms on the board of health, two terms on the plumbing board, and as recorder of the city in 1894-95. He is not a seeker for office, and has accepted it only as a matter of duty. In 1869 he was united in marriage with Mary A., daughter of Rennselaer Grandy. They have one son, Robert H., and two daughters, Mrs. F. B. Lasher, and Miss Jessie.
Pages 308 & 309:
FINCH, George H., was born in the town of Ancram, May 29, 1863, son of George W. and Olive (Hayes) Finch, who had six children, as follows: Obed, Lebbeus, George H., May, wife of Fred B. Keller Augusta V., and Hugh, deceased. Mr. Finch was educated in the common schools of his town, and when eighteen years of age started in life for himself as a clerk in the general mercantile store of J. E. Strever and later entered the employ of A. C. Niver, of Ancram Lead Mines. In 1882 his father died and the three brothers, Obed, Lebbeus, and George H., formed a copartnership and purchased the general store at Ancram, which is now owned by W. J. Edelman. In 1890 Mr. Finch disposed of his interest and purchased the store at Taghkanic, where he is now located, and deals in general merchandise, farm implements, wagons, etc. He owns two farms, which contain about 350 acres, and makes a specialty of dairy farming. On April 29, 1886, he married Bertha, daughter of Henry and Caroline (Sheldon) Bashford. He has been active in town and county affairs and when twenty-one years of age was elected town clerk of the town of Ancram and is now serving his third term as supervisor of the town of Taghkanic. Mr. Finch is a member of Hudson Lodge No. 7, F. & A. M., and a liberal contributor and supporter of the Lutheran church at Taghkanic.
FINCH, Obed, of Ancram, was born at Nassau, N. Y., February 18, 1852, son of George W. and Olive (Hayes) Finch, who were the parents of six children, namely: Obed, Hugh (deceased), Lebbeus B., George H., May (wife of Fred B. Keller), and Augusta Virginia, all born in Columbia county except Obed. George W. Finch was a millwright and machinist, and for twenty years before his death was employed as superintendent of the paper mills at Ancram. Obed Finch attended the common schools of Ancram and completed his studies at Sand Lake Collegiate Institute; he also is a graduate of the Lowell Business College. His entry into business life was as a clerk in the paper mill at Ancram, where he was employed from 1873 to 1883, when he purchased the general store at Ancram village; in this business he remained until 1895, when he bought the farm of 207 acres where he now lives, and carries on dairying. He has performed the good citizen's part in public duty, having been elected town clerk for 1873-1874, supervisor for 1888-1889, and for 1899, 1990-1901. He has always been an ardent adherent of the Republican party. He is a member of Stissing Lodge N. 615, F. & A. M., of Pine Plains, N. Y.; of the Masonic Club of Hudson, and the Masonic Veterans' Association of Troy, N. Y., and is a licensee of the State Board of Pharmacy sine 1884. July 11, 1883, he was married to Hannah, daughter of William S. Thompson; they have two children: Susan and Thompson.
FINGAR, Griffin, of Livingston, N. Y., was born in the town of Germantown, N. Y., November 3, 1847, son of Adam and Maria (Moore) Fingar, who had seven children: Silas, Griffin, William B., Christiana, wife of Charles Lynk, Emma Jane (deceased), Rosetta, wife of Charles Stickles, and Lewis, all native of Columbia county. Adam Fingar was a son of Elias, he a son of Peter, who was one of three brothers who came from Holland. Griffin Fingar was brought to Red Hook by his parents when he was but a year old, and thence to Livingston in 1856, and has been since a resident of this town. He was educated in the common schools. At the age of twenty-six he purchased the farm where he now resides, and where he follows general farming and fruit culture. In 1873 he was married to Mary E., daughter of Edward and Mary E. (Rossman) Stickles; they have had six children: Mary, wife of John J. Tinklepaugh, Jr., Frank, Rossman G., Edith, and Edward and Jessie (deceased). All were born on the farm where Mr. Fingar now lives. Mr. Fingar has served as excise commissioner, and as school trustee many years, and has been a deacon in the Manor Church nine years, and a trustee for three years.
Page 76 & 77:
FINGAR, Henry, of Germantown was born on the farm where he now resides, September 5, 1858, a son of Horace and Albertina (Weaver) Fingar, she a daughter of Harry Weaver. Horace and Albertina had four children, as follows: Henry, Annie, wife of Frank Rockefeller, Thomas C., and Franklin H., all born on the farm where Henry now resides. Horace Fingar was a son of Thomas and Julia Ann (Shultis) Fingar, and their children were Horace, James C., Margaret, and Sarah. Henry Fingar, the subject, was educated in the common schools of the town of Germantown and in a private school conducted by Erastus Coons. In 1800 the family moved to the town of Clermont, where they remained until 1883, when Henry's grandfather died, and soon after Henry purchased the old homestead, where he now resides and carries on general farming, making a specialty of fruit-growing and speculating in cattle and live stock. On January 16, 1881, he married Annie, daughter of Jacob I. and Amelia Moore; they have had three children, two living, Eva Maud and Hazel M., and one deceased, Floyd, who died September 4, 1899, at seventeen yeas of age. Mr. Fingar has been active in town and county affairs and has served as assessor of his town. He is also active in educational work, having been connected with his school in an official way for seven years in succession. He is a contributing and supporting member of the Reformed Church of Germantown. His father was supervisor of the town of Clermont several terms and represented the town of Clermont on the board of supervisors at the time of his death in 1899.
FINGAR, Jacob, of Ghent, was born March 22, 1843, a son of Elisha and Elizabeth (Statts) Fingar, who had five children: Charles, Mary Elizabeth, Jacob, Martha A., and Henrietta, all natives of the town of Germantown. Elisha was a son of Elias and Margaret (Clum) Fingar, whose children were Thomas, Catherine, Hannah, Peter, Elisha, Adam, Valentine, and German. Jacob Fingar was educated in the schools of Germantown, and assisted his father with the farm work until his father's death in 1871, when he purchased the home farm in the town of Ghent, which he has since conducted. September 11, 1882, Mr. Fingar married Emily F., daughter of William G. and Catherine Kittle, who bore him one son, Herbert S., at home on the farm with his father. Mr. Fingar is active in town and county affairs.
Pages 77 & 78:
FINGARR, Frank, of Madalin, N. Y. -- Horace Fingarr was born in the town of Germantown, N. Y., July 9, 1836, a son of Thomas and Julia Ann (Shultis) Fingarr, the parents of four children, as follows: Sarah J., James C., Margaret E., and Horace. Horace Fingarr spent his early life in Germantown; he received part of his education in the district school and graduated at Claverack College. His occupation was farming, and he was a good practical, up-to-date farmer, doing everything in a very systematic manner. On February 11, 1880, he moved to the town of Clermont, and, in connection with his farm there, he had the freight dock in Germantown for a number of years. He was identified with all the public enterprises, and there he died on September 13, 1899. He held many positions of trust and represented his town in the board of supervisors for several terms, holding that office at the time of his death. He was also a very active worker in the Reformed church of Germantown; in early life he was superintendent of the Sunday-school for a number of years and later on he served as elder for a term of eighteen years, taking the place of his father, who had served officially for nearly half a century, when the Lord saw fit to take him to his rich rewards. Mr. Fingarr married Albertina, daughter of Harry Weaver; they had four children: Henry, who married Annie Moore; Annie, wife of Frank Rockefeller; Thomas C., married Anna Fraleigh; Franklin H., married Carrie Smith. Peaceful, uneventful lives like his leave but little for the chronicler to record; but to have achieved a character like his is surely a virtue worth living for and a heritage of inestimable value to his descendants.
Pages 309 & 310:
FINNEY, James, p. o. East Chatham, N. Y., was born in Phillipstown, Putnam county, N. Y., in 1833, a son of George and Nancy (Kehoe) Finney, whose other children were Cornelia, George, Mary, and Harriet. George Finney, 1st, was born in Sharon, Conn., July 4, 1810, and came to the town of Canaan in 1844 and engaged in farming. He enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-eighth New York Volunteers, was wounded, and was honorably discharged in 1864; he died in February, 1890, and his wife in 1849. James Finney was educated in the common schools, and followed teaching for several years, and farming. In 1873 he was appointed agent for the New York and New Haven Railroad. He is a member of the Grange. He married Ellen, daughter of Chandler Smith, and they have had these children: George H., Jame K., Edwin C., Sylvester, Frederick, Mabel, and Chandler S. (died in 1885).
FISH, Hugh I., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., is a native of Chatham, born October 29, 1867. He is the son of I. A. Fish, who was born at Richfield Springs, N. Y., and was a carpenter and builder. He removed to Chicago, where he was engaged in building, and was one of the first to enlist in the Union army at the breaking out of the Civil War. After the closed of his military service he came to Chatham and established himself as a manufacturer and dealer in furniture. His wife was Margaret, daughter of Capt. Cornelius Shoefelt (sic). Besides Hugh I., they had one other son, Pierre A., now a professor of anatomy at Cornell University. Hugh I. Fish attended the common schools and Harwick Seminary, near Cooperstown, N. Y. After leaving school for five years he followed teaching, and then engaged in the lumber trade in Mobile, Ala. In 1894 he returned to Chatham and established an insurance business, which he is conducting at present. In November, 1899, he was elected school commissioner for the second district of Columbia county. He is a member of Arcadia Lodge No. 777, I. O. O. F., at Philmont. He was married to Minerva, daughter of Pratt Tompkins, of Canaan, N. Y. They have four children: Alice N., Helen E., Hamilton M., and Robert H.
FISHER, Frank, of Germantown, N. Y. Among the old and distinguished families of the county are the Fishers. Frank Fisher, the subject, was born on the farm where he now resides, March 25, 1851, a son of Alexander and Eva (Clum) Fisher, the parents of two children, Frank, and Julia, wife of Ansell Walker, of New York city. Alexander Fisher was a son of Mathew and Helen (Clum) Fisher, whose children were Helen, Sturtevant, Xemenia, wife of Minard V. Clum; Helen, wife of Albert Sturtevant; Catherine, and Alexander. Alexander followed farming, making a specialty of fruit-growing, also speculating and exported fruit, and at one time was one of the largest exporters of apples in the country. Frank Fisher was educated in the schools of Germantown and by private tutor. When sixteen years of age he engaged in the fruit and produce business in New York, where he was located until 1885, when he returned to the town of Germantown to take cahrge of his father's business. His father died March 19, 1887, age sixty-five years. Since that time Mr. Fisher has taken charge of his large estate, making a specialty of fruit-farming, and has thousands of fruit trees. October 11, 1871, he married Elizabeth Louise, daughter of Dr. Rivas, who was one of the leading men of Bogotá, South America. They have eight living children: Helen Eva Louise, Alexander Frederick, who married Emily Barber de Silva; Irwin Franklin, Lillie Evelin, wife of Albert W. Frost; Blas Rivas, Arthur Chester, Mildred May, and Fayette Gordon. Mr. Fisher takes an active interest in all public-spirited enterprises and has now in project the building of a large dock, ice and cold-storage warehouse at Cheviot. He also takes an interest in town and county affairs, though he has never aspired to political honors in the way of holding office. He takes an active interest in school and educational work and has given his children the advantages of an advanced education. His family are contributing and supporting members of the different churches.
pages 79 & 80:
FITZ GERALD, James, was born in Ireland in 1832, and came to America in 1851, settling in Charleston S. C. He was a stone mason and did a large amount of work for the United States Government on Fort Sumter and other public buildings. He also did work on the old Cathedral at Charleston, S. C. About 1855 he settled in Hudson, and became a contractor and builder. He built the Hudson city reservoir, and the Farmer's National Bank, and many prominent buildings in Hudson and neighboring cities. In 1881 he engaged in the manufacture of brick at Hudson, in which business he continued until his death. Mr. Fitz Gerald's death, January 20, 1890, was a loss to the community as well as to his family. He was highly respected by all who knew hi. He was survived by his wife, Catherine, daughter of Michael Conry, whom he married in 1871 and eight children.
FITZ GERALD, John, of Hudson, is a native of Ireland, where he was born May 13, 1838. He emigrated to the United State, and in July, 1868, came to Hudson, where, for thirty-two years, he has been engaged as a contracting mason and builder. His sound reputation as a conscientious workman is based upon the structures the mason work of which he has erected or superintended, among the more prominent of which may be cited the residence of Hon. Levi P. Morton at Rhinebeck, the Aspinwall building at Barrytown, the Oneonta Normal School building, the Sixth Street School building of Hudson, the State Volunteer Firemen's Home, all the buildings of the State House of Refuge at Hudson, the engine-house at Tivoli, St. Mary's Academy, and Columbia County Courthouse at Hudson. This long list of prominent buildings is a testimonial to Mr. Fitz Gerald stronger than written phrases, however truthful and complimentary. In 1861 Mr. Fitz Gerald was married to Maria A. O'Donovan. Their children comprise two sons and three daughters: James, John, Agnes, Ellen, and Catherine.
Pages 80 & 81:
FLANAGAN, Francis J., of Ghent, N. Y., was born in Pittsfield, Mass., July 17, 1857, son of P. J. and C. E. (Ford) Flanagan. He was educated in the public schools of Pittsfield, and when eighteen years of age entered the employ of S. N. & C. Russell, of Pittsfield, to learn the woolen business. After four years he moved to Monson, Mass., to take charge of weaving, where he remained for three years, then entered the employ of Ellis, Converse & Co., of Stafford Springs, Conn., as superintendent; here he remained one year, then entered the employ of Hinsdale Bros., of Hinsdale, Mass., where he had charge of the weaving department for several years. In 1894 he moved to his present residence and purchased the Cutler farm. Although still managing his farm, Mr. Flanagan is a special agent for the Berkshire Life Insurance Company, of Pittsfield, Mass. On January 24, 1883, Mr. Flanagan married Miss Belle C., daughter of Samuel and Sabrina Russell; they have six children: Eleanor, Maud, Russell, Walter, Francis, and Paul. Mr. Flanagan is active in public affairs; has served as trustee of his district for several years; is a member of the board of registration, and is also a member of the Ghent cornet ban, which he helped to organize.
FLANAGAN, Philip Richard, M. D., p. o. Lebanon Springs, N. Y., was born in the town of Ghent, N. Y., June 12, 1866, son of John and Margaret (Riley) Flanagan, whose children were Dr. Philip R., Frank, Christopher, Mary, Margaret, and Sarah. John Flanagan was born in Ireland, came to Columbia county in 1837, and was always a farmer; is now living at Chatham, N. Y. Dr. P. R. Flanagan received his education at Columbia College, from which he was graduated in 1889. He served as interne at the New York Hospital, and as house surgeon of the French Hospital. He came to Lebanon Springs in 1891 and practiced one year, returning to New York, where he was instructor in surgery in the New York Polyclinic for a year, and then came again to Lebanon Springs and practiced till October, 1894, when he went to Washington, D. C., and was in practice six months. He went thence to Tennessee, where he was in practice until 1896. He was appointed contract surgeon in the United States Army in Cuba, and was wounded in the shoulder at San Juan Hill. He is now successfully practicing his profession at Lebanon Springs.
FOLAND, Wellington J., was born on the farm where he now resides, in the town of Livingston, N. Y. He is the only son of Zachariah J. and Susanna G. (daughter of Philip Clum) Foland. Zachariah J. is a son of Zachariah P. and Mary (Proper) Foland; they had children: Jane, Eliza, Philip, Augustus, Zachariah J., and Jane H. Wellington J. Foland was married to Ada, daughter of Walter and Sarah (Haynor) Moore; they have one daughter, Gertrude G. Wellington J. and his father, who is still living, are supporting members of the Lutheran church, and take an active part in the public affairs of the town.
FOLAND, William G., of Ghent, was born at West Lebanon in 1826, a son of Henry and Elizabeth Ann (Finkle) Foland, who had two children, William G., and John Henry (deceased). Henry Foland was an only son of George Foland, both natives of the town of Ghent. William G. Foland was associated on the farm with his father until his father's death in 1880, at the age of eighty-two years. In 1852 Mr. Foland married Eliza S., daughter of Valentine and Sally Stupplebeen; they have two daughters; Virginia, wife of Lafayette Winn, and Ida, wife of Andrew Kittle. Both daughters were born on the homestead, which consists of 150 acres, and has always been owned by the Foland family. Mr. Foland has always taken an active part in town and county affairs and in education work.
FOLGER, Frederick Fitch [Click for Photo] (deceased), was born in Kortright, Delaware county, N. Y., on December 24, 1812, son of Obed Worth Folger and Mary Mayhew Fitch [Click for Photo], his wife. Both his paternal and maternal American ancestors were of excellent English stock, and down through the several generations to the subject of this article were substantial honorable people. The first of the family to emigrate from England was John Foulger, who came to America, with his son Peter, from Norwich, England, in 1635. On his mother's side he was descended from Rev. James Fitch, who traced his descent from John Fytche, of Fytche Castle, in the parish of Widdington, Eng. His mother was born in Horton, Nova Scotia, January 22, 1784, and was married to his father on December 13, 1801. She died in Hudson, December 21, 1884. About 1819 Obed W. Folger returned with his wife, fours sons and three daughters, from Delaware county to Hudson. Here the early life of Frederick was spent. He received his education at the old Hudson Academy, then a noted institution of learning, among his instructors being the late Amasa Parker. After leaving school he evinced a remarkable predilection for business, which was gratified by his filling several mercantile clerkships, advancing all the time in the duties and responsibilities intrusted to him. While still a young man, scarce twenty-five years of age, he was offered a position in a mercantile house in New Orleans with liberal pay and an opportunity for advancement. The commercial crisis of 1837, which, a year after his arrival in New Orleans, caused a contraction in all business enterprises, compelled his employers to reduce their force of clerks; but Mr. Folger, having proved his ability and made himself of special value to his employers, was retained with increased salary. About this time an attack of yellow fever paralyzed his efforts, but, by the aid of a naturally strong constitution and a temperate life, he survived the dread disease. In 1842, through a reorganization of the house with which he was connected, an interest therein was offered him; but his keen foresight led him to decline the offer, whereupon a high position with a munificent salary was created and given him, in order that the firm might retain his services. However, the effects of the recent financial crisis were more than the house could overcome, and in 1842 it went into liquidation and all its interests were purchased by Mr. Folger. Thus he entered the hardware and ship chandlery trade, taking as a partner his brother, under the style of Frederick F. Folger & Co. In 1853, having acquired a satisfactory fortune, he returned to Hudson, purchased the "Bronson Place," which he named Glenwood, and sought the rest of retirement from active business, still retaining, however, a large interest in the New Orleans business. The Civil War nearly wrecked the business of the house and at its close he felt forced to leave the quiet of his Northern home and again put on the harness of active business life in New Orleans. In 1869 he finally gave up the cares of business and returned to Hudson. Mr. Folger, by nature, was not a man who could remain entirely inactive. He at once became interested in various public matters in Hudson, giving freely of his time, means and counsel for the improvement and development of public institutions. He was the main mover in advancing the old academy to a high grade school; in improving and perfecting the city cemetery to its present beautiful condition; and, above all, in advocating and laboring for the establishment of the city water works system. For twenty years he was a director of the Farmers' National Bank, and, declining after insistent pressure the presidency, served as vice-president of that institution until the time of his death. Mr. Folger was a Democrat in politics, but in 1896 found himself not in accord with the element that, being in the majority, he believed would disrupt the party, and therefore, came near to supporting the measures of the Republican party; his keen financial knowledge made him a firm adherent to the gold standard, and when that wing of his party made its nomination for president and vice-president, he cast his influence and vote in its favor. He never held any political office. He was a philanthropist and carried his generosity in an open hand; but modest, not given to demonstration, his beneficences were more often than otherwise unknown to all but himself and the recipient. In the brief space here available a full characterization of Mr. Folger's virtues cannot be enumerated and discussed. Those who knew him only by report will find nothing in the record of his life at which to point the finger of reproach. Mr. Folger died at Hudson, on March 26, 1899, in his eighty-seventh year, survived by his widow, three daughters and two sons. Mrs. Folger was Harriette A., youngest daughter of the late Col. Elisha Camp, of Sackets Harbor, Jefferson county, New York.
FORD, Ellis J., p. o. East Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Canaan in 1844, son of Joseph and Deborah (Fowler) Ford. Joseph Ford was a native of Columbia county, was a farmer, and held the office of supervisor a number of terms; he was very active in his support of the Government during the Civil War. Ellis J. Ford was educated in the common schools, and has always been a farmer. He was married to Ellen, daughter of Rufus House, and their children have been Harry, J., who died in September, 1899, and Martin L.
Pages 310 & 312:
FORSHEW, Frank, of Hudson, N. Y., was born in that city, March 1, 1827. His father was John Forshew, who came to Hudson in 1810. He had been a sea captain, sailing from Stonington, Conn. His vessel was wrecked, causing the loss of all he possessed. After coming to Hudson he taught school, and many of the prominent men of the city were his pupils. Frank Forshew received his education in Hudson, and in 1849 engaged in the daguerreotype business, in which he was a pioneer and of which he made a success. In 1865 he erected the brick block in Hudson that bears his name, and in every way has been a valuable resident of the city, taking an interest in all public undertakings that have conduced to the benefit of the people at large. In 1850 he was married to Mary J., daughter of Benjamin and Mary Hildreth. Of this union there have been born the following children: John H., Charles A., Robert P., Francis L., and Mrs. Harriet F. Gage. They also have an adopted daughter, Mary F. Browne.
FOWLER, D. Niles, of Spencertown, N. Y., was born in the town of Austerlitz, N. Y., where he now resides, June18, 1872, the son of W. S. and Lucy M. N. Fowler, who were married in December, 1870. Dan Niles, father of Mrs. Fowler, was a native of Austerlitz, born February 2, 1801. He married Cynthia Dean, also a native of Austerlitz; they had five children. Mrs. Flowler's grandfather, Thomas Niles, originally came from Lyme, Conn., and took up the land whereon Mr. and Mrs. Fowler now reside.
Pages 83 & 84:
FOX, George Philip, was born in Ashland, Greene county, N. Y., April 26, 1860, a son of Otto and Jane A. (Philips) Fox. His father was a professor of music and a native of Metz, Germany; he came to this country about 1855 and located in Ashland, N. Y., where he remained about six years, then removed to Brooklyn. Here he followed his profession and was organist in St. John's M. E. Church, which position he held until his death. George Philip Fox received his early education in the public schools and at the age of fifteen was sent to Peekskill Military Academy, where he remained for two years, then came to the Hudson River Institute and completed his education. At this time he went to Philmont and was employed by his grandfather, George W. Philip, who built the first knitting mill in his town, and was with him up to the time of his grandfather's death. He then assumed charge of the mill, as superintendent, for A. B. Scott and his son-in-law, G. W. Mosely, which position he held until 1900, when he resigned. In 1897 Mr. Fox was trustee of the village, and in 1899 president; during that year he succeeded in having the building built for the fire department and the village hall; he also has been a member of the board of health for three years and was a charter member and first commander of the K. O. T. M. Tent 553. In June, 1881, Mr. Fox married Carrie H., daughter of Lorenzo and Jane (Hallenbeck) Nichols, and they have two children: Jennie M., born April 16, 1884, and George Otto, born May 27, 1897.
FOX, James J., was born in Hudson, March 8, 1857. His father was James Fox, a native of Ireland, who came to Hudson in 1850 and took up farming as an occupation. His mother's maiden name was Mary J. King. James Fox died in the prime of life, in the fall of 1856. James J. Fox was educated in the Hudson public schools. In 1896 he established the business of the Columbia Wine and Liquor Co., making a specialty of pure liquors for family use. In 1900 a branch store was established at No. 611 Warren street. Mr. Fox has served two years as supervisors, two years as water commissioner, three years as State marshal for the House of Refuge for Women. He was manger of the opera house and for many years has been identified with the growth and life of Hudson. In 1884 he married Ella Benzie. They have three sons and one daughter: James W., Paul, Ward J., and Anna Ruth.
Pages 312 & 313:
FRALEIGH, William H., was born July 5, 1848, in the town of Clermont, N. Y., where he has always resided, son of Peter P. and Mary M. (Lasher) Fraleigh, whose children were ten, namely: Peter F., Jonas L. (deceased), William H., Martin E. (deceased), Edward E., Helen, Anna A., Emma E., Catherine Barbara, and Mary A. (deceased). Peter P. and his wife are both living. William H. Fraleigh was educated in the district schools, and began farming in Clermont. In 1883 he took charge of the hotel at Clermont and in 1885, with his brother-in-law, Charles W. Moore, he bought the hotel of Mrs. Helen Fingar. In 1892 he bought Moore's interest and has conducted the hotel alone since then. His house is situated six miles from Germantown, six miles from Tivoli and the nearest railroad station is at Elizaville, on the New England Railroad. The Fraleigh family is of German descent, and from the first immigrant they have lived in this locality, and were chiefly farmers. Mr. Fraleigh was married to Addie Vanhorn; they have five children: Floyd F., Kenneth G., William P., Cecil E., and Ruth M.
FRANK, Willis, was born in Mellenville, Columbia county, N. Y., on June 11, 1862. His father, James Frank, was a millwright and was married to Catherine Ham. Willis Frank was educated in the district schools and at Troy Business College. After leaving school he was engaged two years as assistant postmaster at East Kingston, N. Y., following which he engaged in farming in Greenport, N. Y., where he is one of the largest producers of hay and grain. Mr. Frank is looked upon as a man of worth and has the esteem of the community in which he resides. In 1892 he was married to Elizabeth Kipp, daughter of John Wessel Kipp. They have one son, Wesley Kipp Frank, and one daughter, Anna Marietta Frank.
FRISBEE, Henry D,. p. o. Canaan, N. Y., was born in the town of Canaan, December 25, 1865, a son of Luther and Catherine (Van Valkenburgh) Frisbee, whose other children were Frank F., Victor A., Philip L., and Lizzie V. Henry D. Frisbee was educated in the public schools, and is a farmer; he has been collector one year, justice of the peace one term, and was elected town clerk in 1896, 1897, 1898 and 1899. His wife was Nellie Pierson, daughter of Samuel D. Pierson.