FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
GANLEY, George J., was born in Hudson, October 7, 1868. His parents, James and Ann (Lilly) Ganley, were natives of Ireland, coming to America when very young, being later married in Pittsfield, Mass. They had ten children, four of whom are deceased, the oldest son, Michael, Having died July 15, 1893, leaving one son. the six living are George J., Thomas F., James J., John P., Elizabeth, and Anna L. Thomas F. and James J. are both partners of the subject of this sketch; John, for the past ten years, has been inspector of plumbing in the city of Hudson; Elizabeth married James Hayes, junior member of the firm of John Hayes & Co., knit goods manufacturers of Philmont; Anna L. lives at home with her mother. James, the father, was by profession a horticulturist. He died at his home on Worth avenue, Hudson, surrounded by his family, March 19, 1898. George J. Ganley obtained his education at the public schools of his native city, and upon leaving school obtained a position in the Hudson Gazette office, where, by strict attention to business and native ability, he learned every branch of the newspaper publishing business. On account of ill health he resigned his position with the Gazette in 1890, and, with two of his brothers, embarked in the book and stationery business. In 1896 the Register and Gazette became the property of the Record Printing and Publishing Company, and Mr. Ganley was invited to the management of the plant, being elected secretary and treasurer of the corporation at the same time. These positions he successfully filled during a period of four and one-half years, when he resigned that he might have more time to devote, with his two brothers, to their book business, which had become one of the principal mercantile houses in the city. Mr. Ganley is a member of St. Mary's Church, the Knights of Columbus, and the Royal Arcanum, and for the past eight years has been a member of the Hudson board of health. On the 3d of January, 1895, he married Julia, daughter of Edmund Barton, a life-long resident of Hudson. They have two children: Mary and James.
Pages 85 & 86:
GANTLEY, Thomas H., of Hudson, was born in New York city, January 7, 1820, son of Daniel W. Gantley, a dry goods merchant, and grandson of Prosper Hosmer, who was one of the early settlers of the city of Hudson. Thomas H. Gantley came to Hudson in 1840, and has been engaged in farming and in railroading in the West. He served three terms as alderman in Hudson. For sixty years Mr. Gantley has been identified with the growth and progress of Hudson, and has always maintained a reputation for enterprise, integrity, and excellent common sense, and now, in the ripeness of years, can look back upon a life of honorable effort and worthy accomplishment. He was married to Martha A., daughter of John Weir, of Hudson, in 1844. He is a member of Lodge No. 7, F. & A. M.
GARDENIER, Aaron B., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., is a native of Kinderhook, N. Y., where he was born September 26, 1848. He is a son of David Gardenier, also born in Kinderhook, and who there spent his life engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was married to Elizabeth A. Benedict, and their children were Aaron B., Sarah (deceased), and Mary R., wife of John Holland. Aaron B. Gardenier was educated in the public schools, and pursued his legal studies at the Yale Law School. After his admission to the bar he began the practice of his profession in Valatie, whence he removed to Chatham in 1890, where he is the senior member of the law firm of Gardenier & Smith. Mr. Gardenier was elected district attorney in 1880 and held the office three terms. In 1890, 1891 and 1895 he served as member of Assembly, establishing an excellent record and receiving the unqualified approval of his constituents. He is a member of Valatie Lodge, No. 362, F. & A. M., is a knight Templar and a Knight of Pythias. He was married to Elizabeth G. Rathborn, their children being Holland R. (died in 1897), and David W.
GARDNER, Eugene, was born in Kingston, Ulster County, N. Y., June 11, 1846, a son of Andrew and Elizabeth D. (Moore) Gardner. He received his early education in the public schools of Claverack, as his father moved to this town in 1853, and took the Samuel Rowley farm to work on shares. Eugene at this time being but seven years old. They lived on this place for three years, then moved to the Andrew Miller place, where they remained nine years and then went to Ghent for a short time. They moved back to Claverack and were on different farms until 1872, when he moved to Philmont and has lived here since that time. On November 4, 1874, Mr. Gardner married Effie Decker, and at this time left home and engaged in the butcher's business, which he followed two years. In 1883 he started a general store for himself, which he continued until 1899, then engaged in the grain and feed business, which he continues at the present time. Mr. Gardner has served one term as justice of the town and two terms as town clerk; at present he is postmaster of the village of Philmont, being appointed under President Cleveland for four years; he took the office March 1, 1897.
Pages 86 & 87:
GARDNER, William Sinn, M. D., of Claverack, was born in the city of Philadelphia, Pa., on August 28, 1865, son of William H. and Mary Jane (Guest) Gardner, of New York city. His education was begun at a private school known as Potter Hall (named after Bishop Potter and under his patronage), at Cornwell Station, Pa., and he was afterward prepared for college at Shortlidge's Academy at Media, Pa. In 1885 he matriculated at Columbia College, and in 1889 was graduated therefrom with the degree of M. D. The following year he spent abroad in completing his education. Returning to this country in 1890, he began the practice of medicine and surgery in New York city. He practiced there for six years, and in August, 1896, removed to Claverack, where he has since been in active practice. While in New York Dr. Gardner was a member of the County Medical Society, and after coming to Claverack was vice-president of the Columbia County Medical Society during the years 1897 and 1898. Not alone as a physician has Dr. Gardner earned an enviable standing in the community where he resides, but as an active advocate of every measure calculated to benefit his fellow men and the institutions of his town and county, he has always been found prepared and willing. He is in the front rank of estimable citizens, and is worthy of the place. On October 21, 1890, he was married to Anna Laura Goodwin, of Claverack, daughter of Manning Augustus and Jane Christina (Miller) Goodwin. They have one son, William Henry Philip Gardner, born September 3, 1891.
Pages 313 & 314:
GARRITY, Patrick H., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Ireland, September 22, 1839, son of John and Margaret (Kane) Garrity. John Garrity is one of Spencertown's respected citizens. He was a native of Ireland, and came to Columbia county about 1848, and is a farmer; he was ninety-eight years of age on June 24, 1900, and went three miles to vote for President on November 6th. Patrick H. Garrity was educated in the public schools and Spencertown Academy. In 1861 he enlisted in the Ninety-first New York Volunteers, served three years, and re-enlisted in the field with his regiment, serving to the end of the war; was color sergeant of his regiment, and promoted to first sergeant. He has been recommended by the officers and members of his regiment for a Congress medal of honor for conspicuous acts of bravery on the battlefield. He was wounded three times. Upon his return home he was employed five years as engineer in a paper mill. In 1871 he was appointed to the United States railway mail service between Boston, Mass., and Albany, N. Y., in which he still continues, and is one of the pioneers in that branch of the government service. He was elected collector of the town for one year, and was a member of the board of education eight years, and was commander of G. A. R. Post No. 539 four years. He was married to Ellen Ringwood, daughter of Gilber (sic) Ringwood; they are the parents of Elizabeth, a graduated of the Albany Normal School, a teacher in the Plattsburgh State Normal School; and is the wife of George K. Hawkins, principal of the Plattsburgh Normal; Anna A., also a graduate of the Albany Normal, was a teacher in Chatham Union School a number of years, and was appointed principal of the intermediate departments of Jamaica Normal School, at Jamaica, L. I.; Margaret M., a graduate of the Crane Conservatory of Music, Potsdam, N. Y., taught music in Chatham Schools three years, and was appointed director of music at Plattsburgh Normal School.
GARVEY, Peter Stalker, D. D. S, of Hudson, N. Y., was born in Chatham, Columbia county, N. Y., on November 4, 1850. His father, Allen Garvey, was also a native of Chatham, of which town his grandfather, Cornelius, was an early settler. Allen Garvey was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Jesse Stalker. His lifework was devoted to paper manufacturing and farming. Dr. Peter S. Garvey was educated in the public schools. He studied dentistry and received from the State Dental Society the degree of Master of Dental Surgery. He first practiced his profession in Lebanon, N. Y., but in 1883 removed to Hudson, where he occupies a prominent position in the ranks of the dental profession, his experience of nearly a quarter of a century making him a skillful and thorough practitioner. He is a member of the Third District Dental Society of New York State, of the New York State Dental Society, and of Masonic Lodge No. 7, and past master of Unity Lodge No. 9, of Lebanon Springs. In 1878 he was married to Cynthia A., daughter of Ripley and Hila Hunt, of East Nassau, Rensselaer county, N. Y.
Pages 87 to 89:
GIFFORD, Elihu, was a native of Greenfield, Saratoga county, N. Y., and was descended from Jonathan Gifford, who, with his brother William, came from the north of England in 1630, and settled at Falmouth, Mass. He married in 1817, at the age of twenty-one years, Eliza Robinson Starbuck, whose ancestor, Edward Starbuck, emigrated from Devonshire, England, in 1640, to Dover, Mass., and, in 1622, removed to Nantucket, being associated with Tristram Coffin and others in the purchase of that island from the Indians and the Crown. Tristram's daughter, Mary, married Nathaniel, son of Edward Starbuck, and was a woman of great force of character, becoming a power in Church and State, and familiarly called "Governor of Nantucket." Elihu Gifford came to Hudson in 1823, and entered the employment of N. Starbuck & Co., iron founders, whose business had been established in 1814. Three years later he became a member of the firm, under the title of Starbuck, Gifford & Co., and, in 1831, he assumed the sole ownership, under the name of E. Gifford. In 1856 his sons, William H. and James, were taken into partnership, the firm name being changed to E. Gifford & Sons. In 1863 Mr. Gifford retired from business. He was an active participator in various other business enterprises, entered into for the benefit of Hudson, being engaged in the transportation business between this city and New York, in the construction of the Hudson and Berkshire Railroad Company in 1836, the organization of the Farmers' National Bank in 1839 (of which he was president for twenty-five years, when he resigned), and the establishment here of the Hudson Iron Works. His qualities impressed all who knew him. Possessing a resolute and vigorous spirit, he was gentleness and goodness, leading a kindly life, and endearing himself by unusual ties to his friends. He died in 1889, at the age of ninety-two years and ten months. His family was large -- six sons and five daughters. Mrs. Gifford was one of the founders of the Hudson Orphan Asylum. Their son, Sanford R., became distinguished as an artist, his reputation as such becoming national. James Gifford, the only surviving son of Elihu Gifford, was born in Hudson, N. Y., in 1829. He was married to Almira S., daughter to Thomas S. Beadle, of Easton, N. Y., in 1855, and had four sons: Malcolm, Paul (who died in 1887), Arthur, and J. Edward. After four years' business experience in Boston, Mass., and three years' travel in Europe, Australia, and East Indies, he, in 1856, joined his father and brother William in the foundry and machinery business until 1863, when Elihu Gifford retired. The firm of Gifford Bros. (Wm. H. and James) was then formed, and continued until 1899, when Malcom and Arthur, sons of James, purchased the business. He served as alderman for one term, 1861-62, and was largely instrumental in the organization of the Young Men's Christian Association in 1866. Mr. Gifford's long business career in Hudson won for him the highest esteem of the community as an upright, conservative citizen, a man of sound judgment and unflinching integrity. Malcolm Gifford was born in Hudson, N. Y., November 9, 1856, son of James and grandson of Elihu Gifford. At the age of twenty yeas (April 9, 1877), he left home and went West, where he spent six years, mostly in St. Paul, Minn., Dakota, and Montana. Returning home in 1883, he entered the employ of Gifford Bros. (his father and uncle). In 1889 he joined, with his brother Arthur, in purchasing the business of the firm of Gifford Bros., and continued it under the same name. Mr. Gifford was married in Paris, France, August 12, 1885, to Marion F., daughter of John Howard Welles, of New York. They have had seven children, but three of whom are living: Benedict, Malcolm, Jr., and Flora Tevis. Mr. Gifford served as alderman from the Fifth ward of Hudson in 1888-89, declining a renomination. Arthur Gifford, son of James and Almira S., and grandson of Elihu Gifford, was born in Hudson, N. Y., March 9, 1860, and educated in the public schools and at Hudson Academy. In 1877 he entered the employ of Gifford Bros., and in 1889, with his brother Malcolm, purchased the business from James and Wm. H. Gifford, which firm retains the name under which the business has been conducted by three generations of the family, having been established in 1814. In 1888 Mr. Gifford was appointed a member of the board of education, and in 1893, while president, was chiefly instrumental in obtaining the funds for, and erecting, the City High School at State and Fourth streets. On February 1, 1893, he married Grace, daughter of Hon. I. N. Collier, and they have three children: Isaac Collier, Edith, and Helen. Gifford Bros. conduct a large business at their extensive plant on Columbia, Green, and State streets, which plant includes foundry, machinery, forging, boiler, and pattern-making departments, and employ a large force of skilled mechanics. Their products are shipped to all parts of the United States, including Hawaii and the Philippines, as well as to Canada and Norway. The firm, since 1889, has been composed of Malcolm and Arthur Gifford, who purchased the plant from their father James, and uncle Wm. H. Gifford, who succeeded their father, Elihu Gifford. The establishment dates from 1814, being the third oldest foundry in New York State. The firm offers an example of what energy, persistence, and business integrity may accomplish.
Page 89 & 90:
GILDERSLEEVE, Charles E., p. o. Niverville, N. Y., was born in Hillsdale, N. Y., September 15, 1838. His father was Allen Gildersleeve, a native of Dutchess county, who came to Columbia county in 1835, was a farmer, and married Lois Hart; their children were John P., Allen H. and Charles E. The father died May 3, 1881, and the mother August 22, 1866. Charles E. Gildersleeve secured his education in the district schools and at Claverack Seminary, and since leaving school has followed the vocation of farming. He has been collector of his town, and in 1885 was elected supervisor. He is a member of Lodge No. 362, F. & A. M. His wife was Annie L. Champion, who has borne him one daughter, Lovina
Pages 90 to 93:
GILLETTE, Hon. John E., was born in Colchester, Conn., October 4, 1828, of staunch Puritan ancestry. His ancestor, Jonathan, was one of a company of about 140 Puritans from the counties of Devonshire, Dorsetshire, and Somersetshire, England, who, with Rev. John Warham and John Maverick, as pastors, sailed in the ship "Mary and John," March 20, 1630, and arrived at Nantasket May 30th following. Afterward Jonathan settled in Winsor (sic), Conn.; his daughter, Mary, married Peter Brown, from whom descended, in the fourth generation, John Brown, whose "soul goes marching on." Mr. Gillette's early life was spent on his father's farm, working in the summer and attending Bacon Academy in his native town in the winter. When seventeen years old he taught district school and fitted himself for college, intending to take the course at Yale. After four years' teaching, weakness of the eyes prevented this, and for a year he was in charge of a select school in Harlem, which, however, he resigned at the close of the year, as his taste and inclination led him to prefer a business career. In 1850 he moved to Philadelphia and began the publication of county maps, making maps of Dutchess and Columbia counties, which are yet seen hanging in may of the offices in both counties. After this, for ten years he made many maps in New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, and had in his employ as surveyors, draughtsmen, engravers, map mounters, and agents, more than fifty persons. Soon after the Civil War broke out, Mr. Gillette closed out his map business and for two years was not actively engaged in business. When oil was discovered in western Pennsylvania, he interested himself in developing territory there and aided in the formation of some of the largest companies that were organized for that purpose. He was made president of two--the Dalzell, capital $2,000,000, and the McElhenny, capital $1,000,000--which position he retained as long as he continued to reside in Philadelphia. In the spring of 1867 he resigned his business connection in Philadelphia and removed to the place he now occupies at Catskill Station, which he had purchased several years previous. Here for several years he devoted himself to various improvements on his place, erecting new buildings, putting in drains, and setting out fruit trees. In 1873 the American Paper Car Wheel Manufacturing Company was organized, in which Mr. Gillette took stock. After running about two years it failed and went into the hands of a receiver; the property was sold at public sale and Mr. Gillette bought it and organized the Hudson Paper Car Wheel Co. The business prospered from the first and the company was merged into the Allen Paper Car Wheel Co. in 1880, with capital sufficient to take care of its greatly enlarged business, with works at Hudson, and Pullman, Ill. Mr. Gillette retained his connection with the various companies as president, vice-president, and director until the Allen Co. was taken over by the Steel Tired Wheel Co. three years ago (1897), since which time his connection with the company, except as a stockholder, has ceased. Mr. Gillette was supervisor of his town, Greenport, in 1875, 1876, and 1878. In the fall of 1879 he was nominated by the Republican party of Columbia county as their candidate for member of Assembly and elected by a majority of 1,000; he was again nominated in 1880 and elected by 755 majority. It was during this second term that, by reason of the resignation of Messrs. Conklin and Platt from the United States Senate, it became the duty of the Legislature to elect their successors. Mr. Gillette had been made a member of the House caucus committee, and with the other members of the committee united in a request to the Senate caucus committee to join in a call for a Republican caucus to nominate candidates. This the Senate committee declined to do, thus leaving every man free to vote for any candidate he pleased; a large number were voted for, but for several weeks no election was reached. During this time Mr. Gillette voted for the return of Messrs. Conklin and Platt, exercising his right so to do in absence of party caucus action. It soon became impossible for him to change his vote had he so desired, for the use of money to influence votes was freely charged, and when a change of a vote was announced, instantly the query was, "How much did he get?" No one approached Mr. Gillette, however, until but two votes were necessary to secure the election of one of the leading candidates. Mr. Gillette was then told, he had but to name the sum to have it placed to his order. He did not change his vote and this candidate was not elected. During his first term in the Legislature he served on the railroad and insurance committees of the House, and during his second term on the same committees and as chairman of the committee of public instruction. In 1870 Mr. Gillette was elected a director of the Hudson Iron Co., was vice-president for a number of years, and on the death of General Hoysradt was made president, and continued to hold the office till the company retired from business. He was elected trustee of the Hudson City Savings Institution in 1874 and is now the oldest member in service but two. He has been for years a director of the National Hudson River Bank and for several years its vice-president. Mr. Gillette was married, in 1854, to Sarah A., daughter of the late John Westfield, of Hudson. His only living child is John W. Gillette, of Hudson.
GILLETTE, John W., of Hudson, only son of John E., has lived in Columbia county the greater part of his life. He fitted for college at the Hudson Academy, and was graduated from Williams College in 1882. He then began a course of study for the degree of mining engineer at Columbia School of Mines, but, after a few months, sickness obliged him to relinquish his aims, and life on the farm was his for the next five years. Farming not being profitable, he went to New York city, and for a number of years was engaged with school-book publishers. An opening occurring in the Allen Paper Car Wheel Co., he returned to Hudson and was identified with that concern until it was merged into The Steel Tired Wheel Co. At the present time (1900) he holds a position with that company.
Pages 314 & 315:
GOODRICH, Frederick C, p. o. East Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Chatham, N. Y., November 7, 1858. He is the son of Lorenzo J. Goodrich, born in the town of Canaan, N. Y., October 2, 1823, and Laura Ann Starks, born in the same town on the 3d of June, 1825, and died march 14, 1898. Frederick C. Goodrich was educated in the public schools and at the Chatham Academy and has followed the pursuit of farming. He was married December 17, 1878, to Ida F. Carpenter-Acker (who was born in the city of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., December 20, 1859, the daughter of Theodore Acker of Stuyvesant, N. Y., and Jane Manning, of Poughkeepsie). They have had the following children: Frederick L., born December 25, 1879; Lucy B., born March 2, 1881; Lester C., born December 22, 1882; James E., born August 8, 1884; William S., born February 5, 1886, Gordon E., born November 20, 1887; Sarah L., born February 6, 1890; Jesse C., born November 17, 1891; Grace E., born January 1, 1894; Elmer R., born January 5, 1896; Raymond W., born December 30, 1898; all of whom are now living, November 20, 1900.
Pages 93 & 94:
GOODWIN, Manning Augustus, late of Claverack, was born in Hartford, Conn., in August, 1833, son of Erastus and Ann (Seaman) Goodwin. His mother was a daughter of Captain Seaman of Revolutionary memory and a direct descendant of the Seamans of Hempstead, L. I. Mr. Goodwin was a descendant of the Allyns and Mannings of Connecticut, and a lineal and collateral descendant of Cotton and Increase Mather, and a direct descendant of Governor Treat, the second governor of Massachusetts. Manning A. Goodwin received his education in the public schools and the academy at Hartford, and at the close of his school days he went to New York and engaged as a clerk in the mercantile house of Ball & McNamee, where he remained some time, leaving them to become a member of the firm of Rice, Goodwin, Walker & Co. in the dry goods trade. About 1880 he closed up the affairs of this firm, and became associated with the firm of Tefft, Weller & Co., with whom he remained until the time of his death, January 14, 1897. Mr. Goodwin was an exemplary business man, a faithful husband and kind father, and in all the relations of life fulfilled to the utmost the duties that devolved upon him. On June 10, 1863, he was married to Jane Christina Miller, daughter of Franklin Ray and Jane (Philip) Miller of Claverack. Mrs. Goodwin's father was the son of Hon. John I. Miller, the first judge of Columbia county, and was also State Senator for a number of terms; and her mother was a granddaughter of Capt. George Philip, who was a commissary of subsistence in the Revolutionary army. Mr. Goodwin was survived by five children, as follows: Anna Laurie, wife of Dr. William S. Gardner; Jennie Miller Goodwin, Mary Katherine Goodwin, Augustus Franklin Goodwin and Nellie Seaman Brown.
Pages 315 & 316:
GOOLD, William H. p. o. Chatham Center, N. Y., was born in Stephentown, N. Y., August 9, 1832. He is a son of Newton and Eleanor Almira (Carr) Goold, whose children were Edmund, William H., Walter and James. Newton was the youngest of the six children of David and Rebekah (Granger) Goold. David was a son of James and Elizabeth (Chappell) Goold. James was a son of John Goold, who came from England, and, with two brothers, settled at Nantucket, near Boston. James (great-grandfather of William H.), was born January 27, 1722, and removed to Lebanon, Conn., where he was married. David (grandfather of the subject), was born at Lyme, Conn., March 16, 1757, and was married in 1784. After his marriage he settled in Canandaigua, N. Y., where he owned a large tract of land, but on account of troublous Indians they returned to Connecticut, and later removed to Stephentown, N. Y. David was a blacksmith, and made all the nails by hand that were used in building the house he occupied. Newton Goold, father of William H. was commonly known as Captain Goold; his wife, Eleanor Almira Carr, of New Lebanon, was a descendant of Caleb Carr, who came from England in 1624, was treasurer of Rhode Island, assistant governor, and governor in 1695, and died while in office. William H. Goold attended the district school, and later a select school taught by E. M. Rollo and Dr. Lewis. He was an industrious boy, and while yet quite young accumulated $69, earned chiefly in assisting in driving live stock to market at thirty-seven and one-half cents per day. He began his railroad connection with his uncle, who was station agent at Niverville, where he earned ten cents a cord wheeling wood to be sawed for the locomotives. In March, 1857, he was appointed agent at Chatham Center, and for forty-three years he has been in the employ of the Boston and Albany Railroad Co. In 1863 he married Harriet E. Pulver who died in 1879, leaving three children: Mrs. Fred L. Tripp, of Dutchess county, and W. Newton, now on the home farm; Dora, the second daughter, died in 1895. In 1890 Mr. Goold married Ellen F. O'Connor, who bore him one son, James W. H., who died in June, 1900. Mr. Goold has held positions of trust in this town, being chosen town clerk in 1863, and in 1869 he was elected supervisor and was known in the board as "Old Honesty" Goold.
GOTT, Harvey C., p. o. Spencertown, N. Y., was born in the town of Austerlitz, N. Y., April 10, 1848, and was educated in the district schools and at Spencertown Academy. He was married on December 24, 1874, to Ella H. Shepardson; they have the following children: John S., born November 12, 1879; Welcome L., born August 2, 1882. He has been quite prominent in local politics, and has held the offices of justice of the peace, collector and commissioner of excise two terms. He has always been engaged in farming. His father was Harvey W. Gott, born in the town of Austerlitz, March 8, 1800; in 1836 married to Polly M. Howes, and to whom were born the following named children: Storey W., born in 1838; Adelaide L., in 1840; Sarah M., in 1842; Eliza J., in 1844; Mary M., in 1846; Harvey C., in 1848; John R., in 1850; and Anna M., in 1853. He took considerable interest in politics, and was supervisor of Austerlitz and served his district as member of Assembly. He was a farmer, in conjunction with which for many years he was a stock drover, buying and driving stock to the New York market. He was a man with a wide acquaintance, and was greatly respected wherever known. The farm at present occupied by H. C. Gott was taken up originally on land warrants issued to Sovey Gott, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and has always remained in possession of his descendants.
GOULD, John Stanton, of Hudson, was a native of Newport, R. I. He was born March 14, 1812, of Quaker parentage, and it may be said here that the simple faith of that unassuming people was the guiding principle of his life. He came to Stockport, Columbia county, in 1827, as chemist in the print works of Benjamin and Joseph Marshall. In later life he became interested in scientific dairying, in which he became an expert and high authority and for a number of years was a lecturer upon that subject at Cornell University. In politics he was an old line Whig and an intimate friend of Horace Greeley. Mr. Gould was twice married; his first wife was Mary Ashby, of Stockport, who died in 1843; his second was Hannah, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Wright, natives of England, who settled in Claverack, N. Y., in 1822.
Pages 94 & 95:
GRISWOLD, Rev. Sheldon, M., D. D., of Hudson, was born in Delhi, Delaware county, N. Y., January 8, 1861. He is a grandson of Col. Sheldon Griswold, who was commandant of the One Hundred and Thirty-first Regiment of New York Militia, and who during the '60's was interested in business in Stuyvesant. His father was Walter Hanford Griswold, for thirty-eight years cashier of the Delhi National Bank. His mother was Ann Elizabeth, daughter of Hon. John Munson Betts, the first sheriff of Delaware county, and a member of the State Senate in 1848-49. Rev. Sheldon M. Griswold obtained his preparatory education at Delaware Academy, and was graduated from Union College in 1882, and from the General Theological Seminary in 1885. In the latter year he was called to Ilion, N. Y., and later to Little Falls, N. Y. In 1890 he came to Hudson as pastor of Christ Protestant Episcopal Church. Under his ministration this church has thrived, as its history in another part of this work will show. Rev. Dr. Griswold has won the hearts of his people by his enthusiasm, good judgment and earnest labor. Apart from his acknowledged ability as a preacher, he possesses those faculties of management and discrimination which go so far in making the pastor of a large congregation successful. The highest praise that can be awarded him is his record while pastor of Christ Church. In 1885 he was united in marriage with Kate M. Van De Bogart, daughter of Joseph Yates Van De Bogart, of Schenectady, N. Y.
Pages 316 & 317:
GROVES, John F. p. o. Old Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Chatham, N. Y., July 25, 1856, son of John and Mary A. (Hooper) Groves. John Groves was a native of England and emigrated to America in 1840, where for a time he labored as a carpenter and later engaged in farming; he was also a local preacher. There were born to Mr. and Mrs. Groves these children: Mrs. Sarah E. Burnett, Mrs. Ruth E. Haywood, Carrie M., Mrs. Susan Davis, William R. (died in 1882), John, the subject of this sketch; Daniel, of Old Chatham. John Groves died January 3, 1897, and his wife in August, 1881. John F. Groves obtained his education in the common schools. He began his lifework as a millwright, but is now engaged in farming. He was united in marriage with Mary A., daughter of John Finch. They are the parents of Clarence J., William L., Harry M., and George R.