FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
HADSELL, Stephen, p. o. Lebanon Springs, N. Y., was born in the town of New Lebanon, N. Y., December 4, 1844, son of M. K. and Laura B. (Palmer) Hadsell, whose children were John, Mary, Louisa, Mary (2), Stephen, Hannah, Emmet, Emma, and George. M. K. Hadsell died in 1883, and his widow in 1890. Stephen Hadsell was educated in public and private schools. For twenty years he carried on a meat business, but is now engaged in farming. In 1898 he was appointed railroad commissioner. He is a member of the Dutchess and Columbia County Grange. His wife was Susan A. Morey, who has borne him one son, Morey K. Hadsell. Hazard and Susanna Collins Morey, his wife, came to New Lebanon in 1808; their children were Susan A., Robert, Amos, Amos Collins (2d), Julia A., and Hannah F. Amos Collins Morey was the father of Susan Morey Hadsell. Hazard Morey died 1842, and his widow died 1867.
Pages 95 & 96:
HAIGH, Benjamin F., p. o. Stockport, N. Y., was born in Philadelphia Pa., September 4, 1856, son of Samuel and Lydia (Dunkersley) Haigh. He attended the common schools of Milford, Pa., until eleven years of age, when he began work in the cassimere mills of James Irving, at Shoemakersville, Pa. Here he remained five years and then for about a year worked as a farm laborer at thirty-five cents a day. At seventeen years of age he entered the employ of Thomas Dolan & Co., as assistant carder, under the instruction of his father, where he remained six years. On leaving this situation he engaged with M. A. Furbush & Co., manufacturers of card building machinery, for two years, following which he was employed by the James Smith Wool Machinery Co. of Philadelphia, at setting up their machinery. While with this corporation he superintended the equipping of a factory in the Missouri State Prison for the manufacture of cloth, and, in the execution of his duties, traveled over a greater part of the United States. He was sent to Hudson to reconstruct the Harder mill, and while there completed an arrangement with Mr. Harder by which he was made superintendent of carders in his mill. This business relation existed four years and in 1886 he removed to Stockport and, with L. J. Rossman, erected a knitting mill and has since been its superintendent. In 1899 he with others organized a stock company for the manufacture of wire fencing; their mill has a capacity of ten miles a day. In the various enterprises in which he has been engaged, Mr. Haigh has exhibited noteworthy enterprise, foresight and excellent business ability, and the success he has achieved is due to these elements of character, coupled with untiring industry and inflexible integrity. On December 23, 1888, he was married to Carrie Van Wirt; they have two children, Madge and Earl.
HAINES, Hon. Charles D., p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y., was born in Medusa, Albany county, N. Y., June 9, 1856, the son of David Tompkins and Emma A. (De Maugh) Haines. Several generations of the Haines family have lived in Albany county, where the name has been prominent in the records of local history. A number of the early members of the family were participants in the Revolutionary struggle, and the name has always been the synonym of patriotism, integrity and progress. Ex-Vice-President and Gov. Daniel Tompkins was of this family. Charles D. Haines at the age of fourteen years, became a telegraph operator in the office of the N. Y. C. & H. R. Railroad at Hudson, which position he filled for four years, when he was promoted to dispatcher on the Eastern Railroad. At nineteen years of age he was made assistant superintendent, and in 1879 was elected to the superintendency. In 1880 he turned his attention to the construction of street and steam railroads, associating with him in business his four brothers, David S., John D., Elmer T. and Andrew G., under the firm name of Haines Bros., with offices at Kinderhook and New York city. In 1898 he held a controlling interest in the Kinderhook & Hudson Railroad, owned the St. Catherine's and Niagara Central Railroad, the Lebanon Springs Railroad and the great Columbian Hall at Lebanon Springs, and the Hannibal Cave and the electric railways at Hannibal, Mo. He is president of the American Kaolin Co. and of the Rockaway Valley Railroad Co., and has been president of the Burlington and Winooski Railroad (Vt.), Rutland (Vt.), Street railway, Orlando and Winter Park Railway (Fla.), The Macon City and Suburban Railway (Ga.), Danbury and Bethel Street Railway Co. (Conn.), Hoosac Valley Railway (Mass.), Newburgh Street Railway, Rome Street Railway, Ogdensburg Street Railway, Seneca Falls and Cayuga Lake Railroad, Seneca Falls and Waterloo Railroad, Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti Railroad, (Mich.), Port Jervis, Monticello and New York Railroad, Jamestown and Lake Erie Railroad, Janesville Electric Railway Co., (Wis.), Fond du Lac Electric Railway Co. (Wis.), The Ithaca Street Railway Co., etc., etc. In 1896 he was Presidential elector, and has been a delegate to State and National conventions. In 1892 he received the Democratic nomination for representative in Congress from the Nineteenth N. Y. District, was elected and served through the Fifty-third Congress. Mr. Haines was married on April 14, 1875, to Lida, daughter of Judson Kingsley of Sandy Hill, N. Y.
HALL, Frank S., of Canaan, p. o. East Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Canaan, N. Y., in 1857, son of Ralph and Emeline (Barrett) Hall, whose other children were Jerusha and William. Ralph Hall was born in Canaan in 1821, and was always a farmer; he served as commissioner of highways two terms, and was secretary of the Town Sunday-School Association; he died in 1892, and his wife, Emeline in 1884. Frank S. Hall was educated in the public schools and at Albany Normal School. He followed teaching for seven years, and is now engaged in farming. He was married to Eva H., daughter of Sylvester E. Lovejoy, and they have had two children: Lena G. and Harold R.
HALL, Francis (deceased), was born in the town of Greenport, N. Y., December 19, 1847. His father, John Hall, was a native of England, and came to Greenport with his parents, Isaac Hall and wife, about 1818. Francis Hall was educated in the district schools and at Hudson Academy. After leaving school he engaged in business with his father in the manufacture of glue, which occupation he followed until his death, August 27, 1892. Mr. Hall was a thoroughly good man in all ways, and his loss was sincerely deplored by all his acquaintances. In 1874 he was married to Carrie L. Van Rensselaer, daughter of Alexander H. Van Rensselaer and Maria Everts, of Claverack, one of the oldest families in Columbia county. Mr. and Mrs. Hall had two daughters and one son, Jennie Hamilton Hall and Frank R. Hall, Elsie Van Rensselaer Hall dying in infancy.
HALL, Milton M., of Hudson, was born in Greenport, N. Y., January 24, 1865, a son of Martin Hall, a native of Germany, who came to Columbia county in 1852. Milton M. Hall was educated in the public schools of the city of Hudson. At the early age of fifteen he entered the law office of Willard Peck, and afterward studied with Gaul, Esselstyn & Whitbeck and W. F. Holsapple. He was admitted to the bar in 1889, and was associated with Mr. Holsapple until 1893, when he began the practice of his profession alone. During the years 1893-94-95 he served the city of Hudson as police justice, and at the city election of 1898 he was elected city judge. In these official capacities Mr. Hall has proved himself a consistent officer and it is but just to say of him that his knowledge of the law as well as his clean citizenship entitle him to the honor conferred upon him by his election. Mr. Hall was married in 1888 to Lilly V., daughter of Joseph Hiscox. They are the parents of two daughters: Mabel D. and Helen M.
HALL, Edward L., p. o. Tivoli, N. Y., was born in New York, March 17, 1872, son of Valentine G. and Mary (Ludlow) Hall. Both of his parents were born in New York; his father died at Oak Terrace, on the Hudson, and his mother lives in New York, spending her summers at Oak Terrace. This property was bought by Mrs. V. G. Hall's father, E. H. Ludlow, and bequeathed to her, and consists of 160 acres. The children of Valentine G. and Mary L. Hall were Valentine G., Edward L., Anna R. (deceased), Elizabeth L., Edith L., Maud L., and Mary L. (deceased). Edward L. Hall's maternal grandmother was a direct descendant of Chancellor Livingston and bore the family name. Mr. Hall was married in New York to Josephine Zabriskie; they have one child, Mary L. Hall. Mr. Hall is a young man of straightforward nature and is regarded as an excellent business man; he attends to the management of his mother's estate, spending his summers, with his wife and child, at Oak Terrace.
Pages 99 & 100:
HALLENBECK, Peter A. and Charles W., are the sons of Charles A. Hallenbeck, and were born in the town of Greenport -- Peter A. on January 6, 1846, and Charles on August 3, 1857. Peter Hallenbeck, their grandfather, was one of the early settlers of Columbia county, being one of the first to operated the Catskill ferry. Charles A. Hallenbeck was married to Almira, daughter of Elijah Van Hosen, and devoted his life to hotel keeping, ferrying and farming, and was a prominent man in Greenport for many years. Peter A., one of the subjects of this sketch has served as justice of the peace, highway commissioner and town clerk; he was married to Margaret, daughter of Martin Smith. Charles W. was married to Kate, daughter of Andrew Hallenbeck. The brothers are numbered among the leading farmers of the county, devoting considerable attention to fruit culture, and in every was are worthy, upright men and valuable citizens.
Pages 96 & 97:
HALLENBECK, William S., was born in Ghent, on January 11, 1839, and is a son of Richard and Sally (Holsapple) Hallenbeck. His father was a farmer by occupation, born in 1811, and died in 1883. The subject was one of four children and passed his boyhood on the farm. At the age of fourteen he removed to Hudson, and there obtained his education. At the age of eighteen years he began teaching school at Stottville, and subsequently followed the same occupation in Ghent and Stuyvesant Falls. After four years of this experience he went to Kinderhook, where he taught seventeen successive years, achieving a high degree of success as an educator. In 1861 his brother, who had remained at home until that time, enlisted in the army, and Mr. Hallenbeck was called home to take charge of the farm, following teaching in the winter seasons. In the fall of 1882 he was elected county clerk on the Democratic ticket and was re-elected in 1885. During a short period he had an interest in a shoe store in Hudson, which he sold out in 1893. In September, 1889, he began a period of service as superintendent of the city schools, a position which he filled to the entire satisfaction of the community. He was chosen president of the Columbia County Teacher's Association, and also held the office of treasurer of the Hudson Building and Loan Association. In 1895 he was appointed to the office of city clerk, a position which he has ever since filled with marked ability. As a man and a citizen Mr. Hallenbeck enjoys the confidence and respect of the community in which he has so long lived. His public spirit and progressive ideas have rendered him a useful factor in public affairs in Hudson, while his high ideals of citizenship have given him a wide circle of loyal friends. Mr. Hallenbeck married first Margaret H. Hermance, daughter of Dr. Henry Hermance, of Stockport; she died in 1878, leaving four children. He married in 1880, Emily G. Van Alstyne, who died in 1895.
HALSTEAD, Charles E., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Hillsdale, N. Y., July 28, 1850. His father, Isaac Halstead, was a native of Green county and a farmer; he was married to Harriet, daughter of Elizur Lacey, who bore him the following children, namely: Joshua L, Sarah A., Elizabeth (died in 1869), Emma G., Charles E., and Kate (died in 1875). Isaac Halstead died in 1886, and his wife in 1871. Charles E. Halstead was educated in the common schools. His first business experience was as a clerk in the Internal Revenue office in New York city. Thence he went to New Orleans, La., where he served as a clerk in the post-office. In 1868 he was chief enrolling clerk in the Louisiana House of Representatives, following which he served as chief enrolling clerk of the State Senate for three years. In 1870 he was supervisor of registration and elector for the county of Iberville, La., and the same fall was appointed State and county tax collector. He assisted in organizing the first free schools and was the first president of the board of education. For two years he owned and published a newspaper, and was a member of the Republican State Committee and Presidential elector of the State at large in 1872. In all these positions of responsibility, some of them trying and exacting in their duties, Mr. Halstead proved his ability, integrity, and broad intellect. In 1875 he returned to the North and settled upon a farm in Chatham. He is now engaged in agriculture, and the carriage and coal business. He is a charter member of the K. of P., and a member of the board of education, of which body he has been president two years. He was married to Carrie E. Westover. They have the following named children: Leroy W., Frank J., Harry C., George B., and Harriet H. A.
Pages 100 & 101:
HAM, James W., p. o. Glenco Mills, town of Livingston, was born in that town, September 23, 1834, son of Philip T. and Sarah (Wilson) Ham, who were the parents of four children: Nelson, Martha J., Deborah and James W., the first two natives of Dutchess county, and the others of Livingston. Philip T. Ham was a son of Teal Ham, who was a native of Germany and a soldier in the Revolutionary War. James W. Ham was given a common school education and at the age of twenty-two purchased the farm of 206 acres where he now resides, and follows general farming. In 1854 he was married to Jane Frances, daughter of Harry and Hannah Decker, of Livingston; they have had three children: Sarah F., wife of Frank Bashford; Frank D., and Stanley, who died at the age of twenty-four. Mr. Ham has represented his town on the board of supervisors, and, with his family, is an active worker in the Lutheran Church at Churchtown, of which he has been trustee. He owns a half section of land in Lamour county, North Dakota, on the line of the Northern Pacific Railroad.
HAM, Peter P., of Claverack, was born in Livingston, February 20, 1824, a son of Peter T. and Mary (Wentworth) Ham, and was educated in the district schools. He helped his father on the farm until twenty-two years of age, when he took up the carpenter's trade and followed it for five years. In 1852 he built a grist mill at West Taghkanic and bought grain and ground it and shipped flour to New York. This he followed until 1870, when he engaged in the manufacture of wagon hubs for nine years, then came to Claverack. He bought the old Akin mill property and built a feed mill and cider mill, which he has run as a custom and merchant mill ever since. On May 23, 1850, Mr. Ham married Caroline B. Herrmance of Claverack, and they have had five children, four now living: Sarah, Augustus, William and Anna Maria.
Pages 101 & 102:
HAM, Reuben, p. o. Claverack, N. Y., was born in the town of Livingston, N. Y., April 29, 1844, son of Zechariah and Charity (Decker) Ham, one of a family of twelve children, of whom but three are deceased. He was educated in the district schools and until he was thirty-one years of age remained at home, assisting his father in his farm work. Upon leaving home he engaged in the butchering business in Livingston, which he carried on for eight years, when he removed to Claverack in 1883. He has continued in the same business since. In 1899 Mr. Ham was elected supervisor of the town of Claverack for a term of two years, and is interested in all measures conducive to the welfare of the town and its people. He is a member of St. John Lodge No. 7, F. & A. M. He married on January 22, 1874, to Helen A., daughter of Robert and Mary C. (Best) Rockefeller. They have no children.
HAM, Sion, of Livingston.--Teal Ham was the first of the family to settle in this county. He came from Nova Scotia, and was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and settled here about 1780. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and they had children: Henry, Wandell, Philip, Peter T., Jacob and Elizabeth, wife of John Decker. Peter T. was married to Mary, daughter of Isaac Wentworth, and their children were John, Rachel, Reuben, Peter P., Sion, Jacob, Eve, Abraham and Cornelius. Sion Ham, born July 16, 1826, was given a common school education, and at the age of twenty-five years began working for himself as a farmer, and when about forty years of age he bought the farm adjoining the one he now owns, which he owned twelve years, when he purchased the farm where he now lives, and follows general farming and dairying. November 13, 1851, he was married to Catherine, daughter of Henry I. Rowe, and they have one son, Orville S., who has been associated with his father on the farm. Orville S. was born in Berkshire county, Mass., April 13, 1856, and on December 16, 1885, he was married to Kate, daughter of George and Gertrude (Rouse) Best; they have had two children: Clara (deceased), and Florence B. With the exception of Orville the members of the family are all natives of Columbia county.
HAM, Wesley, of the town of Livingston, N. Y., was born in Taghkanic, N. Y., November 26, 1852, son of Leonard W. and Eleanor (Plass) Ham, whose children were Charles W., Elizabeth, Leonard, Mary (deceased), Wesley, Ellen (deceased), and Ella; his grandparents were Wandell T. and Hannah (Gardner) Ham, whose children were James, John, Leonard W., Jacob, Robert, Peter, Walter, Elizabeth and Emiline, all of whom lived on the farm where Wesley now resides, and which is known as the old Ham homestead. Wesley came with his parents to Livingston when about a year old. He received a common school education, and when about twenty-one years of age began as a farm laborer, which employment he followed until 1889, when he purchased the old homestead and is now engaged in general farming and fruit growing. In 1878 he was married to Maggie, daughter of Robert Van Deusen; she died, survived by one son, Harry, and Mr. Ham married, second, Mary, sister of his firs wife. He has been trustee, and assessor for the past five years.
Pages 102 & 103:
HAMBLIN, Myron, was born in the town of Ancram, N. Y., in which he now resides, on July 7, 1868, son of James and Frances (Collier) Hamblin, whose children were Myron and Marion, the latter born March 10, 1882. James Hamblin was born at Pine Plains, N. Y., May 27, 1841, and came to Columbia county with his parents when he was but three years old, and has always been a farmer. His parents were Myron and Rachel (Tripp) Hamblin, who had four children: James, David, Maryette, and Hiram. Myron Hamblin was educated in the common schools of Ancram and at the Seymour Smith Institute at Pine Plains. He remained at home until he attained his majority, when he became a clerk in a general store at Ancram Lead Mines, where he remained for six years. He then purchased the farm where he now resides, which adjoins the old homestead. He conducts a dairy farm, having a herd of thirty of the finest cows in the vicinity, and owns about 200 acres of land. In 1892 he was married to Aletta, daughter of Eason and Mary Jane (Moore) Card; they have one daughter, Ruth. Mr. Hamblin is a member of Millerton Grange, of which he has been secretary, and is a member of the Presbyterian church at Ancram Lead Mines.
HAND, John H., of Austerlitz, was born in the town of Austerlitz, February 21, 1826, a son of Sylvanus Hand (born in Hartford, Conn., in April, 1796, died in 1864), and Nancy Vincent, his wife (born in Dutchess county, N. Y., died in 1863). Mr. Hand was educated in the common schools and Spencertown Academy. After leaving school he taught for about three years, then took up the study of law in the city of New York, at No. 49 Wall street, and was admitted to the bar before the Supreme Court at a session presided over by Judge Edmonds, a former resident of Columbia county. Mr. Hand was closely identified with the building of the Galveston, Houston and Henderson railroad, one of the first of any magnitude to be constructed in the Southwest; and was a director and treasurer of said company from the time of its charter until it was finished and running from Galveston to Houston, and until the War of the Rebellion. On April 29, 1872, Mr. Hand married Helen Augusta Hendrickson, of Albany.
HAND, Miss Olive R., p. o. Lebanon Springs, N. Y., Franklin Hand was a native of New Lebanon, N. Y., where he was born June 20, 1825, and was a farmer through life. He served as supervisor eight years. He was married to Lucy Jane Green, of Cayuga county, N. Y., on February 27, 1850, who died in April, 1852. He was married, second, to Mary M., daughter of John Spaulding, of Cayuga county. Their children were two daughters: Minnie Amanda and Olive Rose. Franklin Hand died July 9, 1892. He was highly esteemed for his intelligence, moral worth and energy of character.
HANER, Martin L., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Rensselaer county, N. Y., August 23, 1824, son of Jeremiah M. (a farmer) and Lena (Carver) Haner. Jeremiah M. Haner died in 1875, and his widow survived until 1896. After receiving his education in the district and select schools, Martin L. Haner engaged in farming, but for the last twenty years has devoted his attention to the manufacture of paper as well as farming. While yet a resident of Rensselaer county he held the office of town clerk, and was appointed to take the census for the draft during the Civil War. In 1869 he removed to Kinderhook, where he has been supervisor fourteen consecutive terms, was nominated every time by acclamation, and at the last election received his largest majority--a remarkable record, seldom if ever paralleled. He has been twice married. His first wife was Mary Hudson, who bore him four children, viz.: Sanford C., Norman L., Emily R. and Caroline, who died in 1872. Mrs. Haner died in 1869, and he later married Harriet, daughter of Jeremiah Hess; their children were Lillie S. and Freddie M., who died in 1878.
Pages 103 & 104:
HARDER, Charles N., of Claverack, was born in the town of Ghent, November 20, 1854, a son of Philip M. and Caroline (Nash) Harder, and was educated in the public schools and Huson Academy. After his school days were over he came to the village of Philmont and went to work for his father and brother, William A., Jr., in the knitting mill; he applied himself diligently to the work which was assigned him, and in due course of time was admitted to the firm as junior partner, the firm being changed to P. M. Harder & Sons. A few years ago the firm name was changed to the High Rock Knitting Co. and Mr. Harder was elected vice-president and treasurer, and his brother William went to Hudson, where he is at the head of the Harder Knitting Co. At the time of Mr. Harder's death, which occurred March 21, 1898, he was president and treasurer of the board of water commissioners of the village, president of the Y. M. C. A, a director in the Hudson Savings Institution, and was engaged in several business enterprises in other places. He was an earnest worker in the Reformed Church, of which he was elder from its organization, and for seventeen years was superintendent of the Sunday-school. He took an active interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the townsmen and town and village in which he lived, and also was an active worker in the cause of temperance. On April 15, 1880, Mr. Harder married Ida Frances Sagendorph, daughter of George Adam and Sarah Frances (Greene) Sagendorph. They had four children, as follows: Edward Lewis, born January 30, 1881, Sara Frances, born June 14, 1883; Clara Hash, born April 8, 1887, and Isabel Richmond, born April 27, 1889.
HARDER, Edson R., p. o. Valatie, N. Y., a prominent lawyer of Kinderhook, N. Y., was born in that town in 1848, a son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Mynderse) (daughter of John Mynderse) Harder. Abraham Harder was a farmer, and died in 1890. Peter Harder, grandfather of Edson R., was also a native of Kinderhook, as were all of his paternal ancestors since 1750.
Pages 104 & 105:
HARDER, Edward B., p. o. Stockport, N. Y., was born in the town of Stuyvesant, Columbia county, N. Y., December 15, 1859, son of Robert and Catherine (Shufelt) Harder. Robert Harder is the son of Robert Harder, who was the first of the family of that name to settle in Columbia county. Robert had three sons, as follows: Richard, now living in New Jersey at the age of eighty-six years; William, of Springfield, Mass., aged eighty-four years, and Robert, seventy-six years of age, who has carried on blacksmithing and wagon-making at Stockport for many years. Robert was the father of four children, viz.: Frank, George (deceased), Edward B. and Gertrude, wife of Edward Tinker. He is a member of Stuyvesant Falls Lodge, F. & A. M. Edward B. Harder was educated in the common schools of the town of Ghent and when about eighteen years old began the trade of blacksmithing and wagon-making with his father. This vocation he followed about fifteen years, when he purchased of L. J. Rossman what was known as the Brookside property and carried on a general store, under the style of E. B. Harder & Co. In 1898 he retired from business. He has served several terms as town clerk of Stockport, and in other ways has been a useful man in his town and county. He is esteemed as a citizen of integrity, modern ideas and general worth.
HARDER, Frank Bradley, of Claverack, was born in Kinderhook, July 22, 1861, a son of George M. and Mary E. (Tobias) Harder. He received his early training in the public schools of Philmont and Wesleyan Academy at Wilbraham, Mass., receiving his diploma from that institution. On his return to Philmont he engaged with his father, who at that time was conducting a general store; here he remained but a short time, when he operated the Valley Mill until 1882, then the Spring Needle and Machine business until 1884, and then went with the firm of P. M. Harder & Sons as superintendent of the finishing department. In 1885 he was made general superintendent of the entire mill, which position he held until 1899. In 1889 he began traveling for the company as selling agent and has continued in that capacity until the date of his sketch. Upon the death of Mr. F. J. Harder, in February, 1890, he was elected secretary of the High Rock Knitting Co., who were the successors of the old firm of P. M. Harder & Sons, and upon the death of Charles N. Harder, in March, 1898, was elected to the office of vice-president, which position he now holds. Mr. Harder has been elected one of the village trustees and was secretary of the water commissioners from the time of their organization to the time he was elected president, two years ago; he is also president of the Y. M. C. A. and an elder in the Reformed Church. On April 24, 1884, Mr. Harder married Fannie E., daughter of Philip M. and Sarah M. (Pulver) Harder; they have four children: Philip M., Jr., born January 3, 1885; Laura Mary, born March 30, 1887; Lewis Frank, born June 4, 1891, and George Harold, born September 6, 1892.
Pages 105 & 106:
HARDER, George Latten, was born in Claverack, July 5, 1832, a son of John and Gertrude Maria (Becker) Harder, and was educated in the district school and a select school in Mellenville and Valatie. He assisted his father on the farm until he was eighteen years of age, and then went to West Troy. He returned home for a short time, then went to Churchtown for a season and back home again, where he stayed four years. He sold out all his interest in the estate to his brother and was with Cornelius Clum on his farm for two years. In 1876 he bought the farm he now occupies of the heirs of Philip Clum and operates a farm of 110 acres, carrying on general farming and stock raising. In 1858 Mr. Harder married Mary Clum, daughter of Philip and Jane Clum; they have three children: Jennie, Frank L., and Philip T. Frank L. married Loda Pulver, and have one son, George Albert. Philip T. married Winifred Blake and have one son, Philip.
HARDER, George Mandeville, was born in Kinderhook, July 14, 1833, a son of William N. and Jane Eliza (Horton) Harder. He received his early education in the district schools and the Charlotteville Academy. He remained on the farm with his father until 1856, when he bought the homestead in Kinderhook of 180 acres, where he remained until 1865. In 1866 he came to Philmont and engaged in the manufacture of straw paper machinery with his brother, where he continued a year, and afterward with George Tobias for three years, then dissolved partnership. A little later Mr. Harder started a general store in Philmont, which business he continued for ten years, then bought the place he now occupies of 280 acres; he also has 130 acres in Philmont. Mr. Harder has been twice married; first, to Mary E. Tobias, in 1855; they had four children. Mrs. Harder died in 1888 and in 1890 Mr. Harder married Ellen Elizabeth McHugh, of Claverack; they have no children. Abby Reed married Perry C. Miller, and have two children, Clinton and Bertha; William G. married Mary Glover, and has two children, Mabel L. and Charles Nicholas; Frank B. married Fannie Harder and has four children, Philip M., Laura, Louis and Harold; Bertram G. married Iola Wymbs and has three children, Mary Elizabeth, Raymond and Kenneth.
Pages 106 & 107:
HARDER, John, of Claverack, was born in Hollowville, November 18, 1857, a son of Allen and Jane Sophia (Clum) Harder, one of five children, of whom three are now living. In early life he attended the public schools of his native village and in a select school at Philmont, where he completed his education. He helped his father on the home farm for a while, then rented a farm of P. M. Harder, which he operated for two seasons and in 1883, in partnership with Mr. Charles N. Harder, engaged in stock raising on the farm he now occupies. After the death of his father, September 2, 1890, he purchased the old homestead, which had been owned by his father and grandfather, the late John Harder, for many years, which farm he still owns. This they followed with varying success until 1897, when they closed out all horses and engaged in raising fancy poultry and general farming, which he follows at the present time, operating 207 acres. In January, 1880, Mr. Harder married Mary Ella Sagendorph, of Mellenville, daughter of Harmon D. and Derinda (Kettle) Sagendorph; they have two children, Harmon D., born September 22, 1883, and Mary Etta, born October 22, 1891. Mr. Harder and his family are members of the Reformed Church, of which he has been an elder and deacon for the past twenty years.
HARDER, Nicholas W., p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y., was born in Ghent, N. Y., on February 14, 1821. His father, William N. Harder, was a native of Ghent and through life was a farmer. His wife was Jane Eliza Horton, who bore him these children: Nicholas W., Horton, Tunis S., George M., William W., John, James E., Margaret A. and Sarah J. Both parents are dead, Mrs. Harder dying in 1882. Nicholas W. Harder, after the usual period of study in the common schools, completed his education at the Kinderhook Academy. He has been engaged at farming since beginning his business career. He married Mary A., daughter of Ryer Hermance of Nassau. They have had the following named children: Hermance, Willis H. (deceased), Ezra G. (deceased), and Mary A.
Pages 107 & 108:
HARDER, William A., manufacturer of Hudson, N. Y., was born in the town of Ghent, N. Y., the son of P. M. and grandson of Jacob M. Harder. The latter was an early settler in Ghent, a charter member of the Farmers' National Bank, and a prominent man in the town and county. His son, P. M. Harder, a native of Ghent, was married to Caroline, daughter of Isaac (grandson of Sir Thomas Nash, who came to the United States in 1742), and Calista Nash. His life was devoted to farming and to manufacturing interests at Philmont. William A. Harder received his education in the district schools and at Claverack Academy and Hudson River Institute. In 1873 he became connected with his father at Philmont, where they conducted a factory for the manufacture of underwear. This factory was burned in 1874, when William A. engaged in business alone at Mellenville until a new factory was erected and equipped at Philmont, when he again became associated with his father and brother, the firm name being P. M. Harder & Sons. In 1883 William A. withdrew from the partnership and erected the mill in Hudson which bears his name. Here he has done a successful business, employing 300 workmen, and his trademark is well known and is a thorough business man, upright in his dealings, of unimpeachable integrity and a progressive, patriotic and substantial citizen. He has been director of the Farmers' National Bank for several years, and in 1899 was elected vice-president of that institution. In 1873 he was married to Sarah E., daughter of Friend and Sarah Miller; she died in 1884, and for his second wife he married Claudine S., daughter of H. C. and Mary A. Sherman. They are the parents of one son, William Sherman, and two daughters, Carolyn M. and Helen S.
Pages 108 & 109:
HARDER, William G., of Claverack, was born in Kinderhook, August 26, 1859, a son of George M. and Mary E. (Tobias) Harder. He was educated in the district schools and the academy at Lansingburgh, N. Y. In 1874 he left school and went to work for his father, who was then keeping a general store in Philmont. He remained with him six years and for a few months was engaged in the gent's furnishing business for himself, but finally sold out to go to Valley Mills to learn the trade of knitter; here he stayed for some time, then went to Cohoes and finished his trade in the Globe Mills at that place. His father at this time was engaged in the manufacture of straw paper machinery, and Mr. Harder went in business with him and was with him for three years, then went to Chicago and sold goods for a firm who manufactured steam specialties. He remained west one year and then returned to take charge of the finishing room of the P. M. Harder & Sons' mill and has remained with this concern ever since. Since Mr. Harder came with the firm, in 1885, it has been changed to the High Rock Knitting co., and upon the death of the vice-president, Charles N. Harder, in 1898, he was elected secretary. In September, 1880, Mr. Harder married Mary E. Glover of Philmont, a daughter of William and Marcella (Kelly) Glover; they had three children: Bessie A., born in 1881 and died in 1883; Mabel L., born in 1890, and Charles Nicholas, born in 1900.
HARDER, Wilson L., p. o. Ghent, N. Y., was born in the town of Ghent, March 31, 1859, a son of Jacob W. and Catherine Amanda (Kittle) Harder, who were the parents of five children, as follows: Sarah Jane, wife of Delmer Kisselburgh; Wilson L.; Elizabeth, wife of Lester Miller; Albert and Frank, all natives of Ghent. Wilson L. was educated in the common schools and assisted his father on the farm until twenty-two years of age, when he started out in life for himself as a farmer. In 1898 he received the appointment of assistant superintendent of the poor under John H. Rivenburgh, which position he now holds in 1900. In 1882 Mr. Harder married Cintha Louise, daughter of Aaron C. Garner, who bore him two children: Sarah and Catherine. Mrs. Harder died May 12, 1892, and Mr. Harder married second, Margaret, daughter of Michael Grady, a resident of the town of Copake.
Pages 109 & 110:
HARRIGAN, Rev. Patrick F.---As a rule the Catholic laity cherish a strong regard for their clergy, and this is especially true where the pastor is so well fitted for his place and profession as the priest whose name stands at the head of this article ( a fine looking and compactly built man, who keeps himself in the best of health by frequent outdoor excursions). Rev. Mr. Harrington was named for his father, Patrick F. Harrigan, for many years a grocer in Albany, where this son was born and where the father died in the prime of a successfully business career. Patrick F. Harrigan, Sr., was born in 1829, in County Cork, and came to America while yet a boy of eighteen. He had a little money and he readily found employment in the car shops of the New York Central Railroad. In Albany, in 1855, he married Catherine Moore, who also came to this country in her girlhood. Mr. Harrigan soon after his marriage entered the business in which he passed the remainder of his life; two sons were born of this marriage: Rev. Father Harrigan, and James Harrigan, connected with the Knickerbocker Press in Albany. He is married and has one child, and with them the widowed mother makes her home. Rev. Patrick F. Harrigan attended the public schools in Albany and the Albany Academy, after which he studied in the Theological Seminary at Troy, form which he was graduated in 1883. His first ecclesiastic charge was in West Troy, with the parish of St. Patrick, but after a while he was transferred to his present parish in Philmont, where he has the pastoral care of 200 families, including a thousand souls. Father Harrigan's paternal grandmother was Hannah Dean; her husband was a carpenter in County Cork, where they were married, and where their five sons and three daughters were born. One of the sons, Michael, uncle of Rev. Patrick F., was a volunteer in the Albany Artillery and, serving in the War of the Rebellion, had the misfortune to be taken prisoner, and finally died in 1867 as a result of exposure during his service. In concluding this sketch, necessarily brief, because the Rev. Father Harrigan's work has been with the invisible things of the spirit, it can only be said that he is respected by Protestants as well as Catholics, as a clergyman who, in the poet's words, "Allures to brighter worlds and leads the way." His cheerful face may be seen wherever duty calls, and is a perpetual benediction in the sickroom; and the parish under his administration has grown rapidly in strength and vitality.
HARRISON, William Henry, p. o. Lebanon Springs, N. Y., was born at Lebanon Springs, July 24, 1840, son of Noah and Susan (Morey) Harrison, whose children were William H., Edmond H., Hannah L., Abram C., Frances C., John J., Mary L. and Sarah C. Noah Harrison died September 18, 1863, and his widow on July 5, 1876. William H. Harrison received a common school and academic education, an has been engaged in farming and nursery business. He has been commissioner of highways, justice of the peace, and in January, 1900, was appointed supervisor. He was married to Marietta, daughter of John H. Kenyon. Their children are Walter H., Arthur K. and Annie E.
Pages 110 & 111:
HART, William H., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in South Egremont, Berkshire county, Mass., January 25, 1836. His parents, Newtown and Martha (Winchell) Hart were also natives of the same town, where his grandparents were early settlers, and all of English ancestry. His grandmother, Sarah (Adams) Winchell, was a first cousin of President John Adams. His father served in the War of 1812, doing garrison duty at Forts Trumbull and Griswold, New London, Conn. William H. Hart was educated in the public schools, Sheffield High School, and St. James School in Winsted, Conn. In October, 1850, he went to New Jersey where he taught school until May, 1859, when he went to Philadelphia to learn dentistry, which he has continued to practice from that time. He located in Hudson May 1, 1866. September 14, 1864, Dr. Hart was married at Millerton, N. Y., to Mary E. Brown, who died February 18, 1868. He was married second, at Hudson to Maritta W. Cheney, June 8, 1870, who has borne him two children, viz.: Richard Cheney Hart, D. D. S., of New York city, and Mabel L. Hart. Dr. Hart has been a prominent figure in the municipal affairs of Hudson, in which he has been a factor of unquestioned benefit to the city. While not a politician or an office-seeker in the generally accepted meaning of the terms, he has accepted positions of trust and responsibility in consonance with his patriotic sense of the duty of all good citizens who seek the welfare of the community in which they dwell. In 1887 and 1888 he served as alderman, and in that body was chairman of the finance committee, where he opposed extravagance and reckless expenditure. He was a member of the board of education for five years, 1881-85, in which he labored zealously in the organization and establishment upon a secure basis of the public school system. In 1894 he was nominated for mayor, but declined the nomination. His public service throughout has been characterized by honesty, intelligence, and an earnest desire for the public good.
Pages 111 & 112:
HARVEY, Hon. Charles S., mayor of the city of Hudson, N. Y., was born in that city on October 28,1855. His father was Capt. Asahel Harvey, who came to Hudson form Taunton, Mass., where he was born, and from that time forward was connected in one way and another with river transportation. His wife was Rhoda Rossman, who was born at Cairo, N. Y. Charles S. Havery received his education in the public schools and the Hudson Academy. He began his business life as a manufacturer of cigars, which vocation he followed for nine years. Mr. Harvey has been, since arriving at his majority, an active factor in local politics, by his consistent and honorable methods therein, winning the confidence and respect of his party. In 1888-1889 he was elected a member of the board of supervisors of Columbia county, his last election to that office, and without opposition, and in 1889 was appointed postmaster of the city of Hudson by President Cleveland, discharging the duties of that office to the complete satisfaction of all citizens. From 1890 to 1896, inclusive, he served as office deputy sheriff under Sheriff Rockefeller and Sheriff Conner. He was elected mayor of the city in 1899 and 1900, and it is no flattery to say that his administration of the office meets with the hearty and unqualified approval of the people. He is progressive, energetic, with clear ideas on public questions, and possesses the manly courage to stand by his convictions. He has proved himself a thoroughly competent and faithful official.
HARVEY, Henry C., of Burden, N. Y., was born in the town of Livingston, N. Y., wherein he now resides, on January 9, 1844, son of John and Mary C. (Hover) Harvey, who were the parents of eight children, as follows: Henry C, Jeremiah J., William E., Aletta (deceased), Alvira, Amos W. (deceased), Elenor A., and Fred H., all born in the town of Livingston. John, Father of Henry C., was a son of John, who was a native of Germantown and a blacksmith, whose father migrated from Germany; the former was a farmer, and removed from Germantown to the town of Livingston when about twenty-one years of age. Henry C. Harvey was educated in the public schools and at Eastman's Poughkeepsie Business College. At about the age of twenty-three he began life for himself as a farm laborer, and two years later purchased a farm near where he now lives, following general farming and dealing in live stock. In 1883 he bought the farm where he now lives. In 1870 he was married to S. Amelia, daughter of Robert and Susan (Jordan) Morrison. they have five children, as follows: Mary, Alma, Benjamin C., Laura A., and Cleveland M., all born in Livingston. Mr Harvey has served as poormaster of Livingston two terms; was justice of the peace many years, and has been supervisor for the past three years.
HATCH, Daniel, the founder of the family in the town of Canaan, was born April 9, 1741, in New London, in the then Colony of Connecticut. He was descended from William Hatch, who settled in New London about the year 1690. He came to Canaan, N. Y., about the year 1766 and purchased Lots Nos. 10 and 11 of one Samuel Brown, who was the agent of a company who had purchased a large tract of land of the Indian Sachem Ephraim. The old deed from Samuel Brown to Daniel Hatch is now in the possession of John M. Hatch, and the lots are therein described as in the town of Richmond, Berkshire county, Mass. When the line between New York and Massachusetts was run, the agreement was that Massachusetts should not claim any land nearer than twenty miles from the course of the Hudson river. The line, as finally adjusted, threw these lots into the town of Canaan, N. Y. Daniel Hatch married, for his second wife, Hannah Nims, of Canaan, N. Y. Of this union there were nine children. After the death of Daniel, John N., the second child of this union, born in 1777, became the owner of these lots and remained in Canaan. He married Hannah Brown, by whom he had four children. Upon his death Henry B., the youngest child, born in 1819, succeeded to the ownership of the above lots. He married Mary E. Marks. Of this union there two children: Mary A. and John M. Hatch. The former died without issue, and John M. Hatch, born March 18, 1858, became, upon the death of his father, the owner of the lots above described and where he now resides. Henry B. Hatch, besides farming, carried on a mercantile business, and served the town for a number of years as justice of the peace. John M. Hatch was united in marriage to De Etta, daughter of John W. and Candace (Sherman) Spier, the 23d day of February, 1887. Mr. Hatch is chiefly concerned in farming, but upon quite a large scale, owning not only the farm where he now resides, but also a large farm in another part of the town.
Pages 318 & 319:
HATCH, John M., p. o. East Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Canaan, N. Y., March 18, 1858, son of Henry B. and Mary E. (Marks) Hatch, whose children were Mary A. and John M. Henry B. Hatch was born in Canaan in 1819, and carried on mercantile business and farming; he was justice of the peace a number of years. Mr. and Mrs. Hatch died in 1875. John M. Hatch was given a common school education, and has always been a farmer, and is a member of the Grange. He was married to De Etta, daughter of John Spier.
Pages 112 & 113:
HAVILAND, F. Carroll, cashier of the Farmers' Bank of Hudson, was born in Hudson, N. Y., on November 2, 1842, son of John T. and Caroline (daughter of Philip and Ann Clarke) (White) Haviland, and grandson of John T., who was one of three brothers: John T., James and Benjamin. John T. Haviland (2) was born in Athens, N. Y., and crossed the river to make his home in Hudson in 1825. He was a founder and promoter of steamboat and transportation interest, and died in 1878. F. Carroll Haviland secured his education in the public schools of Hudson and at the well known Hudson Academy. When eighteen years of age, on June 2, 1860, he entered the employ of the Farmers' Bank as clerk, in which capacity he served until 1866, when he was appointed teller. He performed the duties of this responsible position until September 4, 1888, when he was made cashier of the bank, and now fills that office. During his long connection with this prominent financial institution, Mr. Haviland has devoted himself to the development and prosperity of the bank, and while so earning the confidence and friendship of his superiors in the institution, has at the same time won the esteem and respect of the patrons of the bank, and made for himself a worthy reputation among financiers as a careful, conservative and trustworthy manager. It is not often that one is found who has for forty years served in one institution, with the commendation and confidence of his employers. It is a record of which Mr. Haviland pardonably may be proud. In 1865 Mr. Haviland was married to Mary G., daughter of Robert H. and Martha Burns. They are the parents of two daughters: Mrs. F. D. B. Stott, of Stottsville, and Mrs. Lucien E. Torrey, of Grand Rapids, Mich.
HAYES, John, of Claverack, was born in Ireland, in September, 1833, a son of Cornelius and Honora (Bluet) Hayes, and was educated in a private school. His mother died while he was yet a boy, in 1848, and he, with his brothers and sisters, came to America, all coming direct to Philmont. He secured employment with George P. Philip, who was running a small woolen mill on the site that is now occupied by the High Rock Co., and remained with him until 1862, when Mr. Philip failed and went out of business. Mr. Hayes continued at the old place until the plant was bought by Mr. A. L. Clark, and he continued with him until 1868. Mr. Clark sold the property to W. A. Harder, and, upon the failure of Mr. Harder, Mr. Hayes branched out for himself and conducted the Valley Mill for five years for P. M. Harder. In 1876 he engaged with James Aken, remaining with him until 1886, when he once more started in for himself in the same location that he is to-day, and in the same line, the manufacture of cotton and woolen underwear; the product of his mill is carried to nearly all parts of this country. On September 30, 1854, Mr. Hayes married Catherine, daughter of Harry Quinn, of Hudson, and they have had a family of ten children.
HAYWOOD, John, of Claverack, was born in Taghkanic, January 1, 1827, the eldest son of Stephen and Jane (Burdick) Haywood, who had a family of three children: John, William, and Saloma. Mr. Haywood lost his father when he was but eleven years of age, and his mother depended upon her own efforts, with what help she could get from the boys, to run the place. John and his sister remained on the old home farm with their mother, who lived to the advanced age of ninety-four years. When the sister became of age they divided the property, and William left home and bought the place now owned by David Lane Nash. He married Martha D. Lane, of Otsego county, and they had seven children, of which only one is living, the wife of Frend (sic) Michael. William died in his seventy-first year.
HAYWOOD, Wallington, of Hillsdale, was born in the town of Hillsdale, June 20, 1858, son of Martin (born in Hillsdale, October 18, 1817), and Zilpha M. (Phelps) Haywood (born August 17, 1822), the parents of Alvine, who died May 4, 1858; Amelia, died December 18, 1871; Aberdeen, born February 28, 1846, and Wallington. Martin Haywood died February 21, 1888, and his widow November 22, 1898. Wallington Haywood received a common school education and after leaving school engaged in farming. He married Jennie M. (born March 7, 1863), daughter of John S. White of Hillsdale. Mrs. Haywood died in 1889.