FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
Pages 329 & 330:
KEATING, Thomas, of Copake, ws born in the town of Copake, N. Y., June 2, 1860, son of Richard and Johanna (Barry) Keating, who were the parents of seven children, as follows: Thomas B., William, hotel-keeper at Matteawan, N. Y.; James (deceased October 28, 1898), was a member of the New York police; Richard, resides in Connecticut; Dennis, manager of the Mansion House, Albany; John, died at the age of twenty-five in 1869; and Mary, who died about the same time. Richard Keating was born in Ireland in 1810, and came to the United States, at the age of thirty-four, with his wife and two children; he resided for a few years in Pittsfield, Mass., and came thence to Copake, where he followed teaming until his death in 1873. His widow survives. Thomas B. Keating was employed in the office of the Copake Iron Works, attending school part of the year; in time he became assistant bookkeeper, remaining four years, when he went to Philadelphia to secure treatment for a lameness, the result of an accident. In this he was successful, returning cured in 1878, and was employed as a salesman. Two years later he opened a store, which he carries on at present, doing a successful business, and is the owner of a farm of 225 acres and several houses and lots. In 1883 he was married to Cora, daughter of John H. Pulver, of Connecticut; they have one daughter, Mabel, born August 16, 1884. He is a Republican and since 1880 has been postmaster. He attends the Catholic church, and his wife is an Episcopalian. Mr. Keating is an excellent example of the successful man.
KENNEDY, Bernard H., was born in Hudson, September 14, 1859. His father was Bernard Kennedy, a native of Ireland, who came to Hudson in 1858, and was a railroad contractor and builder; his wife was Rachel, daughter of John Harlowe. Bernard H. was educated in the public schools and Hudson Academy. With his brother Mathew, he has been engaged in the catching and wholesaling of shad and herring for twenty-five years, supplying the trade in Western Massachusetts. In 1895 they erected a large brick building for cold-storage purposes. In addition to the fish business, the Kennedy Brothers handle thousands of barrels of fruit yearly for the New York and Boston markets. Mr. B. H. Kennedy has given much of his time and labor to public duties, in all cases winning the approbation of the public. He has served as president of the board of civil service commissioners, and for eight years -- 1893-1901 -- has been a member of the board of education, of which he was president several terms. He was a member of the Twenty-third Separate Company for fifteen years, serving as quartermaster, and at his retirement in 1899 was the ranking quartermaster in the National Guard of the State. He is a grand knight of Hudson Council, No. 316, Knights of Columbus.
KENNEDY, Dennis H., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in the town of Ancram, N. Y., on November 15, 1856. He is a son of Bernard Kennedy, who came to the United States from Ireland in 1850. The latter for a number of years was engaged in railroad building, filling contracts on the Boston and Maine, Harlem and New York Central Railroads. In 1858 he came to Hudson and engaged in the grocery trade, from which he retired in 1875. Dennis H. Kennedy obtained a good English education in the public schools of Hudson, and in the Hudson Business College. He began his business life in the grocery trade and is now engaged in a general mercantile, produce shipping and ice business. He is a man of energy and excellent business ability, and has been reasonably successful in his business undertakings. He early took an active interest in local politics, and soon acquired a large degree of influence in the councils of the Democratic party. His general knowledge of local public affairs, his recognized business capacity, and his well-known integrity, led to his election or appointment to several positions of responsibility. He served five years as supervisor of the First Ward of the city, and during nine years was a member of the excise commission of Hudson, in which positions he has proved himself worthy of the honor conferred upon him and the trust and confidence placed in him. Mr. Kennedy for several years past has been at the head of the company which publishes the Gazette and Register, the leading Democratic newspaper of Columbia county. In 1885 he was married to Alice, daughter of Patrick Clark. They are the parents of two sons and one daughter, Raymond, Harold, and Anna.
Pages 134 & 135:
KETNER, Frank W., D. D. S., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in the town of Cherrytree, Venango county, Pa., October 23, 1865. He is a son of D. A. Ketner, a native of Center county, Pa. In the year 1830 the family moved to Venango county, Pa., where he assisted in clearing the land purchased by his father, William Ketner. D. A. Ketner was married to Harried Cauvel, and during his life was a farmer; he died in 1897. Dr. Frank W. Ketner received his education in the public and high schools of Saegerstown, Pa. After leaving school he was for two years engaged in the drug trade. In 1889 he began the study of dentistry with Dr. T. J. Thomas, and in 1892 was graduated from the Philadelphia Dental College. The same year he settled in Hudson, N. Y., and began the practice of his profession associated with Dr. W. H. Trabaud; this association terminated in 1893, since which date he has practiced alone. In 1899 he erected his present home and offices. He is a member of the Third District Dental Society of New York, and has received special diplomas for papers on anatomy, anaesthesia and anaesthetics; he is also a member of the Garretsonian Philosophial Society of Philadelphia. In October, 1896, he was married to Carrie, daughter of Oscar Vincent. In the few years that Dr. Ketner has been a resident of Hudson he has established a worthy reputation, not only as a skillful dentist, but as a valuable member of society.
KILMER, Alfred C, p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y., was born in the town of Milan, Dutchess county, N. Y., July 21, 1845, son of William I. and Anna Maria (Duntz) Kilmer, natives of Dutchess county, and parents of three children: Angelina E., who died at twelve years of age, Alfred C. and William H. About 1850 the family removed from Dutchess to Albany county, and in 1867 to Columbia county, where they have since resided. Alfred C. Kilmer was educated in the common schools and at Hudson River Institute at Claverack. He is actively interested in the welfare of his town and has the full confidence of his townsmen. He is at present one of the assessors of the town and performs the duties of the office to the satisfaction of the people. He is a member of the Kinderhook M. E. Church and participates in its work. When he was twenty-two years of age he was married to Martha, daughter of Jasper and Mary Ann Whitbeck. They have five children, as follows: Ida, wife of Asa J. Gage, Charles W., Anne E., wife of George B. Merwin, William J. and Edward E.
KIPP, Edward, is a native of the town of Greenport, of which he has always been a resident, and was born June 16, 1843. His father, John P. Kipp, also a native of Greenport, was married to Caroline Smith, and all his life was a farmer, dying January 1, 1892. His grandfather, Peter Kipp, was a pioneer of Greenport. Edward Kipp received his education in the district schools, and began farming in Greenport, which occupation he has successfully followed through life. He is a well-esteemed citizen, worthy of all respect and confidence, and for many years has been a deacon in the Dutch Reformed Church. In 1876 he was married to Cornelia L., daughter of Mathew and Mary L. Marshall. Their children are one son, Horton J. Kipp, and two daughters, Mrs. Minnie M. Hallenbeck and Miss Almira Kipp.
KIRBY, Edward P., p. o. East Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Canaan, N. Y., October 22, 1853, a son of William P. and Sally (Campbell) Kirby, parents of Edward P. and William S. William P. Kirby was a native of Canaan, and was a farmer all his life; he died in 1880. Edward P. Kirby was educated in the public schools and at Claverack Academy, and with his brother is engaged in the commission and meat business in East Chatham, and also in farming. He is a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 98, F. & A. M. He was married to Leta, daughter of O. B. Pratt; she died January 20, 1895, leaving one son, Perry W.
KISSELBRACK, Peter of Gallatin, was born in the eastern part of the town of Ancram, September 22, 1816, son of George and Elsie (Blass) Kisselbrack, who had eight children, as follows: Jacob, Betsey, George, Maria, Zachariah, John, Michael, and Peter. George Kisselbrack was born in Dutchess county and settled in the town of Ancram. Peter Kisselbrack received his education in the common schools and was associated with his parents until their death, when he took up part of the estate and carried on farming until 1848. At that date he moved to Dutchess county, where he remained twenty-one years, and then purchased the farm where he now resides. On December 27, 1845, he married Catherine, daughter of Samuel Frayer, and have children: Henrietta, Ward, Elizabeth, Annie, Frank, Ella, and Steward (deceased). Mr. Kisselbrack takes an active part in town and county affairs and represented the town of Milan, Dutchess county, on the board of supervisors. He is also active in school and educational work, and has been connected with his school in an official capacity many terms. He is a liberal contributing and supporting member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Pine Plains.
KISSELBURGH, George A., p. o. Ghent, N. Y., was born December 11, 1829, son of William H., born in Germantown, N. Y. His great-grandfather was a native of Holland. Mr. Kisselburgh always has been prominently connected with public affairs of his town and county. For sixteen years he served as justice of the peace, two years of which he was justice of sessions; was supervisor one term and was census taker in 1890; in 1876 he was postmaster of the Assembly at Albany; and for twelve years was the secretary of the Ghent Mutual Fire Insurance Company. In all these positions he has manifested his ability, integrity and broad intelligence. Mr. Kisselburgh was born and has resided upon his present farm of 135 acres of fertile land, whereon he has been rewarded with the success due the industrious and skillful farmer of seventy years. Mr. Kisselburgh has been twice married. His first wife, whom he married in 1856, ws Jennie E. Shaver; she died three years after marriage, survived by one son. He married, in 1866, Josephine Gardiner, who has borne him three children, two daughters and one son.
KITTELL, Martin M., M. D., was born in Ghent, in October, 1866, a son of George H. Kittell and Mary Jane Mesick, his wife, their children being Thomas M., Martin M., Minnie, John I., Nellie E. and Grace. He spent his boyhood days on the farm. Dr. Kittell was graduated from the University Medical College, New York city, and settled at Kinderhook in 1891, where he began his practice. He is president of the board of health and village treasurer of the village of Kinderhook, president of the Columbia County Medical Society, has three times been elected coroner, and in 1899 was elected member of the Assembly. In 1894 Dr. Kittell married Eleanor Southard, who died May 8, 1898, and on October 25, 1899, he married Carrie O. Davenport. He has two children, Harold S. and Donald.
Pages 136 & 137:
KITTLE, Clarence, p. o. Stottville, was born in the town of Ghent, August 9, 1865, a son of Nicholas and Catherine (Stickles) Kittle, who were the parents of four children: Andrew, Ina (deceased), Clarence and John E., all born on the old homestead near Omi, where six generations of the Kittle family have lived. Nicholas was a son of Andrew and Margaret (Philip) Kittle, a son of John and Margaret Kittle, a son of John and Margaret (Duyker) Kittle, whose children were John, Henry, Andrew, John I. and Nicholas. Clarence Kittle attended the common schools and assisted his father on the farm. When nineteen years of age he purchased the farm where he now resides and started out in life for himself. October 24, 1884, he married Ada, daughter of Harmon D. Sagendorph. Mr. Kittle is a member of Hudson Lodge No. 7. F. & A. M., and takes an active part in the Reformed Church, of which he is treasurer and elder.
Page 330 & 331:
KITTLE, Andrew, p. o. Stottville, was born in 1857 and educated at the "Kittle School." In 1875 he was married to Ida, daughter of William George and Eliza (Stupplebeen) Foland. They have one daughter, Iola C., born in 1880. Mr. Kittle is a member of the Reformed (Dutch) church, in which he has held official positions, and is one of the progressive and intelligent farmers of the county. Clarence was born in 1864. John E. Kittle was born in 1867. He attended the "Kittle School," and through life has been a successful farmer. He was married in 1885 to Minnie, daughter of George Kittle, and they have two children: Ina and Elbert. Mr. Kittle is a member of the Reformed church. The Kittle family is one of the older ones of the county, and its members have always sustained the reputation of upright and energetic people.
Pages 331 & 332:
KITTLE, Nicholas, born in 1816 and is a son of Andrew and Margaret (Philip) Kittle, and grandson of John Kittle and Margaret (Duyker) Kittle. John Kittle was the son of Captain Andrew Kittle, who, with Henry Duyker, were among the first settlers in West Ghent. Their tombstones are found in the private burial plot on the farm owned by Henry Duyker in that day. Andrew Kittle, father of Nicholas, was a prominent man in his day, and the owner of valuable farm property; he held the office of justice of the peace for a number of years, was captain in the army during the War of 1812, and was a member of the Reformed (Dutch) church; he was the father of six children, as follows: Sophia, John A., Magdalene (wife of George S. Snyder), William, Nicholas, and Ann M. (wife of Jeremiah Fredenburgh). Nicholas Kittle was married in 1855 to Catherine Sickles, daughter of Garret Z. and Elizabeth (Sharp) Sickles. He was a prosperous farmer, leaving at his death three large farms. His death was the result of injuries sustained in falling forma reaper in 1893. His children were Andrew, Ina E. (who died in 1877 in her eighteenth year), Clarence, and John E.
Pages 137 & 138:
KLINE, Evander, was born in the town of Germantown, September 15, 1852, a son of Sylvester and Catherine (Lasher) Kline, who had nine children, as follows: Alice, Evander, Arthur, Ida, Wilber, Carrie, Luther, Frank and Fred, all born in the town of Germantown. Sylvester was a son of Peter and Gittie (Coons) Kline, and their children were Thomas, Walter, William, Maggie, Mary, Gittie and Sylvester. Evander Kline, the subject, was educated in the common schools of his town and was associated with his father until twenty-four years of age, when he started in the commission and fruit business in New York city. In 1896 he returned to the town of Germantown and engaged in farming, making a specialty of fruit growing; he also speculates in fruit. He raises about 2,000 barrels of apples and pears, also carries on a cooper shop for the manufacture of barrels for packing his fruit. On December 31, 1879, he married Lillie, daughter of C. W. Fisk, of Kingston, N. Y., and they have had seven children, six living: Charles S., Raymond E., Harold B., Bennie L., Foster Morgan, Alice E., and one deceased, Ernest. Mr. Kline is interested in town and county affairs, though not an aspirant to political office, and is a contributing and supporting member of the M. E. church of Germantown.
KLINE, Ephraim M., p. o. Valatie, N. Y., was born in Columbia county, Pa., January 2, 1841. His father was Elijah Kline, a native of Pennsylvania, and was a farmer and lumberman. His wife was Mary Styles, who bore him these children: John, Martha, Josiah, Ephraim and Alinus, who was shot on the picket line in front of Petersburg in the Civil War. Ephraim M. Kline attended the common schools and was graduated from Starkey (N. Y.) Seminary, and was valedictorian of his class. For fifteen years he taught school, succeeded by five years as a traveling salesman. In 1862 he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, and after the expiration of his service in that regiment he enlisted in Company I, Eighth New York Heavy Artillery, from which he was honorably discharged on account of wounds received at the battle of Cold Harbor. He located in Kinderhook and has since been engaged in farming. He married Pauline L. Seeley, and they have one son, Roscoe C.
Pages 138 & 139:
KLINE BROS. -- Both of these brothers were born in North Germantown, N. Y., W. S. in 1859, and F. H. in 1872, sons of Sylvester and Catherine (Lasher) Kline, both of whom are living in North Germantown. They had nine children, as follows: Evander, Arthur E., Wilbur S., Luther V., Frank W., Fred H., Alice, Ida and Carried (who died in 1888). They all live in the county, with the exception of Arthur E., who has been a commission merchant in New York for the last twenty-two years. The subjects of this sketch were both educated in the district schools of North Germantown. After his school days, Wilbur S. went to New York, taking an interest in the business of his brother, Arthur E., under the firm name of E. & A. Kline. Fred H. remained on the home farm until he was twenty-one, and was then with his brothers in New York until 1897, when, returning to North Germantown, he formed a partnership with his brother Luther, and they engaged in general merchandising. From this business Luther retired in 1899 and was succeeded by Wilbur S., thus constituting the firm of Kline Bros. They carry a large stock in their store near the North Germantown docks. Fred H. is chief clerk of the post-office; Wilbur S. is a member of the Royal Arcanum. They are pushing business men, stand high in commercial circles and fully deserve the confidence and good-will of their townsmen.