FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
"Ma - Me" SURNAMES
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
Pages 336 & 337:
MACDONALD, John Meinell, of Hillsdale, was born at Rockaway Beach, L. I., June 26, 1855, of Scotch ancestry, his great-grandfather, James Macdonald, having been born among the Highlands of Scotland in the town of Inverness. He came to America during Colonial times and became a permanent resident of New York city, identifying himself with its business, educational and religious interests. For many years he was vestryman of Trinity church; his remains and those of his wife are buried in the Trinity church graveyard. A son of James Macdonald settled in the town of Hillsdale at an early day and enlisted in the service of his country during the War of 1812. He served during many battles and unfortunately lost his eyesight; for this he received a liberal pension. He was one of the many who armed and equipped themselves at their own expense, but were never repaid. At the close of the war he returned to Hillsdale and remained upon his farm at Green River until his death in 1867, at the age of seventy-one years, survived by his widow, three sons: James M., Washington, and John, and one daughter, Magdella, all now deceased. John, father of John M., the subject of this sketch, and his brother Washington, formed a copartnership and for forty years carried on the drug business in Brooklyn, N. Y. James M. remained upon the old homestead, which he cultivated until his death; Magdella married Dr. Charles Bull, a well-known physician, and is survived by their only child, Charles Bull, who resides with his wife upon the old farm. John M. Macdonald, the subject of this sketch, received his early education in a private school and Public School No. 15, under the instructions of Augusta J. Evans Wilson, author of "St. Elmo," "Vashti," and numerous other works of fiction. Mr. Macdonald read law in the University of New York, from which he was graduated with the degree of LL. B. in 1879, and was admitted to practice at the General Term of the Supreme Court in the Second Judicial District, May 13, 1879. He served as vice-president of the Democratic general committee of Kings county. In 1893 he moved to Hillsdale. May 17, 1888, he was married to Mattie E., daughter of John R. and Sarah A. Winn, who bore him three sons: John W., born October 26, 1889; James G., born September 19, 1890, and Donald J., born November 7, 1892. Mr. Macdonald is one of the magistrates of his town, now serving the last half of his second term as justice of the peace.
Pages 335 & 336:
MACK, Henry Quincy, of Dome Farm, Livingston, N. Y., was born in the town of Tunkhannock, Pa., son of Enoch and Phoebe L. Mack, who were the parents of two children: Henry Q. and Narrie, wife of the late Prof. Edward Howe of New York. When about six years old his parents removed to New Hampshire, where he received his education. At the age of twenty-one he went to New York city, where he entered the employ of Rushton, Clarke & Co., druggists, with whom he remained two years, and then engaged with Hazard & Caswell in Newport, R. I., where he remained another two years. Upon their establishment of a store in New York, he formed a partnership with them, under the firm name of Caswell, Mack & Co. He continued in this capacity six years and retired, soon after removing to Catskill Station, in the town of Livingston, where he has since resided. In 1872 he was married to Miss Mary E. Janes, of New York, and they have one child, Arthur Carlyle, now engaged with the publishing house of Funk & Wagnalls. Mr. Mack is actively interested in educational matters and is at present a school trustee, serving his fourth term; is independent in politics and religion, and deeply interested in literature, social reforms, horticulture, etc. He has a library of between 2,000 and 3,000 volumes, and keeps in touch with the topics of the day.
Pages 152 & 153:
MACY, Aaron C., (deceased), was a native of the town of Ghent, N. Y., where he was born, December 12, 1801, a son of Abraham and grandson of one of the pioneers of the town of Ghent. He early in life entered mercantile business in Ghent; but his ambition urged him to seek broader spheres, and in 1822 he removed to Hudson, at that period when the city was experiencing its most rapid and promising growth, and engaged in the dry goods trade, which he carried on for many years, building up a reputation for commercial integrity and manly honor not surpassed by any. He was a man fitted by nature to be trusted -- to be selected to assume the care of estates of deceased persons, and perform duties of that character which only men of scrupulous honesty, conservative judgment and shrewd foresight can conscientiously and adequately fill. His long life of seventy-eight years was marked by deeds and duties of unselfishness and kindness, and his memory is cherished, not only by those of his family who survive him, but by the business community of Hudson in general. The lives of such men as Mr. Macy do not close when the mortal remains are consigned to the tomb; long after, kind words and respectful praise of the good man gone testify stronger than marble shaft of the esteem and love which he had earned in life. Mr. Macy was a member and acknowledge minister of the religious Society of Friends, and through life did honor to the humble faith of that society. He was one of the founders of the Hudson Orphan and Relief Association, and served as president of its board of trustees for many years, and was always personally active in promoting and carrying out the charitable work of the body. Mr. Macy was three times married; first to Sarah Clapp; second, to Jane Williamson; and third, to Eunice Browning.
Pages 153 & 154:
MACY, Charles W., was born in Hudson, N. Y., where he resides, December 23, 1840. His family is of Quaker antecedents. Robert C. Macy, his grandfather, was a pioneer of Ghent, and built the stone house near the tollgate on the Columbia turnpike, where he had a quarry and limekiln. Hiram Macy, father of Charles W., also a native of Hudson, established a lumber business in that city in 1832, and was also a builder and contractor. He was a director of the Farmers' National Bank, and a member of the board of trustees of the Hudson Orphan and Relief Association. He gave much of his time to public service. In 1843, 1845, 1846, 1848, 1852 and 1853 he was a member of the board of aldermen of the city; in 1849-50 he was assessor and in 1873 was one of the board of water commissioners; in all these positions his devotion to the best interests of the city was unfailing. His wife was Ann, daughter of Isaac Hall. He died on July 5, 1884, and his loss was memorialized by resolutions expressive of worth and sympathy for his family, passed by the various bodies of which he was a member. Charles W. Macy was educated at the Hudson Academy, and entered the employ of the Morgan Iron Works in New York city, where he was engaged as a mechanical engineer from 1858 to 1862. He then returned to Hudson and entered into partnership with his father under the firm name of H. Macy & Son. In 1883, owing to his father's failing health, he assumed control of the business, making a specialty of building materials and insurance, and still continues the same. He has been president of the Hudson Building and Loan Association since its organization, president of the Electric Light and Power Company, secretary of the Columbia Agricultural Association, member of the common council one term, and was elected president of the First National Bank in 1898, which position he now holds; also vice-president of the Gold Coin Stove Co. of Troy. In 1865 he was married to Sarah A., daughter of James Van Deusen. They are the parents of one daughter, the wife of Esek Bussey, Jr., secretary and treasurer of the Gold Coin Stove Company of Troy, N. Y.
MACY, Frank A., was born in Hudson, N. Y., where he has always resided, on September 18, 1839. He is the son of Alexander W. Macy, a native of Hudson, born in 1803, and grandson of William R. Macy, who came to Hudson from Nantucket in 1798. Alexander W. Macy was a manufacturer of tobacco; he married Mary Jessup, and died August 4, 1863. Frank A. Macy was educated in the public schools of his native city. He began his business life in 1866, in partnership with his brother, under the firm name of F. A. & G. H. Macy, dealers in tobacco. This partnership existed until 1894, when it was dissolved. In 1895 the Hudson Stove Works was established, of which organization Mr. Macy was made president. Also, in the same year, he organized the firm of Macy & Redlinghouse, dealers in stoves, furnaces and hardware. Mr. Macy has taken an active part in local politics, although not a politician in the ordinary sense of the word. He served as an alderman for two terms, and has been supervisor of the town one term. He is a director in the Building and Loan Association. In 1867 he was married to Margaret, daughter of Montcrief L. Ten Eyck. Five children have been born of this union, viz., three sons, Alexander W., Frank R. and Harold G., and two daughters, Eleanor Ten Eyck and Mary Jessup.
MACY, George H., a well-known citizen of Hudson, was born there on May 27, 1841. The Macy family is one of the oldest and most respected in Columbia county. Thomas Macy, a native of England, came to America about 1635 and settled at Salisbury, Mass., where he lived until 1659, when he removed to Nantucket, and was one of the ten men who bought that ocean-swept island; some of his descendants still reside there. He had a son John, who was born in Salisbury, July 14, 1635, married Deborah Gardner, and died at Nantucket, October 14, 1691. His son Thomas was born at Nantucket in 1687, married Deborah Coffin, and died on the island in 1759. They had a son Robert, who was born there November 20, 1710, and died November 23, 1771; his wife was Abigail Barnard. Robert, Jr., a son of Robert, was born March 18, 1746, removed to New York and passed the last years of his life in the town of Ghent; he died September 28, 1828, having married first Anna Jones, and second Phoebe Jenkins. William R. Macy was a son of Robert, Jr., who was born at Nantucket, August 21, 1779, and became one of the early settlers of Hudson. He was a tobacconist and for many years pursued that business among the industries and trade of the infant city. He married Eunice Bunker, and died January 15, 1867. He was succeeded in his business by his son, Alexander W. Macy, who was born in Hudson, December 5, 1804, and died August 4, 1863, after a long and reputable business career. His wife was Mary Jessup. They had four children: William A., Cornelia, Frank A., and George H. Macy, who was born in Hudson, May 27, 1841. The boyhood of the latter was passed in obtaining his education and aiding in the tobacco manufacturing business, which had descended through the family from its early foundation in Hudson. Very soon after the beginning of the Civil War he joined with many young men of Hudson in enlisting in Company K, Fourteenth Regiment of Infantry, and served with credit in the Peninsular campaign, at Malvern Hill, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg and other important engagements. He was honorably discharged May 25, 1863, returned home, and in turn succeeded to his father's business, which he still carries on. This is, perhaps, the oldest continuous industry in Hudson. Two years after his return from the army he took his brother Frank A. as a partner. Mr. Macy is a thoroughly respected citizen, public spirited, honorable in business, and has a host of friends. A Republican in politics, he was elected city treasurer of the city of Hudson in 1892 for two years, county treasurer for three years in 1894, re-elected at the termination of that period, and recently re-elected for a third term to the same office. He has long been a member of R. D. Lathrop Post of the G. A. R., and has held the office of quartermaster for several years. He is also a Mason and a member of Hudson Lodge, No. 7, and Hudson Chapter, No. 6. Mr. Macy married, in November, 1886, Alice B. Little, daughter of the late George L. and Cornelia Rose Little.
MAGLEY, John, of Claverack, was born January 13, 1842, a son of George G. and Catherine Magley, one of a family of five children, four now living. He attended the district school and at the same time helped his father with the work on his place until he was twenty-one years of age, when he commenced in life for himself. In 1881 he came to the town of Claverack and located in Philmont. Mr. Magley was elected town clerk in 1898 and served with so much satisfaction that he was re-elected in 1899 for two years. In politics he has always been a Republican. In January, 1863, Mr. Magley married Catharine Van Tassel, daughter of Philip H. and Maria Van Tassel. They have six children.
MALLERY, William A., of Hillsdale, was born in Troy, N. Y., June 9, 1844, son of Anson U. and Sarah A. (Sawyer) Mallery. Anson U. and his brother were engaged in the grocery business in Troy until 1851, when Anson U. returned to Austerlitz and bought the old homestead; he died in 1866. William A. Mallery was educated in the common schools and Spencertown Academy. He was engaged as a clerk in Troy for several years and moved to Austerlitz with his parents and was engaged in the farm work with his father until the latter's death. In 1872 Mr. Mallery moved to Hillsdale and in 1880 bought the old Hillsdale foundry; in 1887 his furnace was destroyed by high water and after that he moved to the village and rebuilt the furnace and grist and saw-mill. Mr. Mallery married Mary A., daughter of Col. Ambrose Lockwood, who bore him children as follows: William A., Jr., now serving as town clerk; Charles L., and Mabel. William A. Mallery, Jr., was born in Hillsdale in 1875; after leaving school he engaged in the manufacture of plows and the coal business. In 1898 he was elected town clerk and re-elected in 1899. He married Clara E., daughter of George B. Sweet.
Page 381- 383:
MALLERY, William A., was born in Troy, N. Y., June 9, 1844, son of Anson U. and Sarah A. (Sawyer) Mallery. Anson U. and his brother were engaged in the grocery business in Troy until 1851, when Anson U. returned to Austerlitz and bought the old homestead; he died in 1846. William A. Mallery was educated in the common schools and Spencertown Academy. He was engaged as a clerk in Troy for several years. In 1872 Mr. W. A. Mallery moved to Hillsdale, and in 1880 bought the old Hillsdale Foundry; in 1887 his furnace was destroyed by high water, and after that he moved to the village and rebuilt the furnace and grist and saw-mill. Mr. Mallery married Mary A., daughter of Col. Ambrose Lockwood, who bore him children as follows: William A., Jr. now serving as town clerk; Charles L., and Mabel. William A. Mallery, Jr., was born in Hillsdale in 1875; after leaving school he engaged in the manufacture of plows and the coal business. In 1898 he was elected town clerk and re-elected in 1899. He married Clara E., daughter of George B. Sweet. The second son, Charles L., who works and lives on the home farm at Hillsdale, married Clara E., daughter of Wm. Miller, East Chatham, N. Y. Mabel, the daughter, married Geo. N. Morrow, of Montgomery, Orange county, N. Y., where she now lives. In the early history of England, mention is made of Sir Thomas Malory, born about the year 1430, on the authority of Le Land, the antiquary. He is believed to have been a Welshman. The name appears in a variety of forms, including those of Mallorie and Maleore. Sir Thomas was the author and complier of the "Morte D'Arthur." He translated, from French into English, the five romances of the Round Table; he finished the work in the ninth year of Edward IV. (1470), and it was printed by William Caxton; he is known to have been a knight, and the description of himself as a servant of Jesus both day and night would lead one to infer he was also a priest. In 1628, Peter Mallery arrived in Boston from England. It is a matter of history that in 1644 one or more of the name came from Yorkshire, England, to Boston, Mass., and afterward followed Roger Williams to Rhode Island, but, not liking the country, removed to Connecticut, their children subsequently settling in different parts of the State. Maj. Samuel Mallery was a descendant of one of the Mallerys; there were seven sons: Major Samuel, Oliver, William, Peter, Uriah, Eli, and Ebenezer. Major Samuel was born in Saybrook, Conn., 1744. William removed to the then far West, to some point now unknown, probably to some place in the western part of the State. He had a son, William, who was a judge many years in Cortland county, N. Y. Samuel and Oliver were in the latter part of the French and English War, the former driving a team during the time through the Mohawk valley. Both served in the Revolutionary War, and were held in high esteem by General Washington, who intrusted them with some important commissions. June, 1777, when General Burgoyne occupied Crown Point, Washington sent them out as spies, disguised as drovers. They went through the country, ostensibly to buy cattle, but really to ascertain as much as possible of the plans and movements of the British. They arrived at Crown Point just at nightfall and found the British officers were going to have a ball at the tavern where they stopped. The country drovers found the barroom full of them and appeared much awed by the presence of these uniformed men and kept in a dark corner, with eyes and ears open, thereby gaining and obtaining much valuable information. After the dancing had commenced they went to the room above, but were refused admittance, because they were not in uniform. In vain were their protestations that they were farmers' sons and had never seen anything of the kind, were fond of music and dancing, would keep very quiet, and would stay in the background. Two or three officers came to the door and ordered them to leave at once; angry words ensured when Oliver picked up one of them, " a light-built man," who had made himself particularly offensive, and threw him down the stairs. In the confusion which followed, both made their escape from the house and concealed themselves in the woods by day and traveled by night until they reached Washington's headquarters. They were in the battle of Saratoga, and were present at the surrender of Burgoyne to Gates. Samuel was called Major Mallery; he was given the rank by brevet in the Revolutionary War. In 1767 he married Mary Caley, and in 1775 he built a log house in what is now called the town of Austerlitz. In 1795 he built a frame house two stories high, the materials for which were all prepared by hand; the nails were made by the blacksmith of wrought iron; the brick for the chimney were made from clay dug from the swamp; kilns were made for burning them; as they were made by hand, they are all sizes. Major Samuel died December 19, 1827.
MALLORY, Langdon, p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in the State of Connecticut in 1839, son of David and Maria (Johnson) Mallory, whose children were Langdon and Ellen Mallory. David Mallory was a furnaceman, and died in 1875. Langdon Mallory was educated in the common schools. After leaving school, he taught for two years, and then for three years was engaged as a clerk. He came to Chatham in 1880, where he is superintendent of the Chatham furnace. He was united in marriage with Loran Handley. Their children are David, Nora, Harriet, Margaret, Edna, Mabel and Ruth. Mr. Mallory is one of Chatham's thorough business men ,and an excellent citizen.
MALONE, William H., was born in Philmont, N. Y., November 27, 1858. His father was Roger Malone, who was born on Compass Hill, County Tyrone, Ireland, and came to America about 1835. He settled in Canada, and from there moved, first, to New Hampshire, and then to Columbia county, N. Y., where he settled in 1852. Throughout his business life he was a contractor for canal and railroad companies. After taking up his residence in this county, at Philmont, he became interested in the building of the Harlem railroad. He married Ann, daughter of Thomas Connor. William H. Malone was educated in Hudson and then learned the molder's trade, having been for fifteen years in the employ of Gifford Brothers. In 1891 he went into the hotel business and in 1899 established the Fifth Ward Hotel. Mr. Malone has acceptably served as supervisor for eleven years, one year of which he was president of the board. In 1880 he married Mary E. Molloy. They have three sons: Roger F., William Emmett, and John H.
Pages 157 & 158:
MARSHALL, Theron R., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., is a native of Columbia county, where he was born, December 20, 1832. His father, Samuel Marshall, came from Dutchess county, where he was born, to Columbia county, where he was a farmer, served as commissioner of highways, and was a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 98, F. & A. M.; his wife was Sarah Wagoner, and their children were James W. (deceased), Anna Eliza, Julia M. (deceased, 1899), Theron R., and Samuel. Theron R. Marshall, after obtaining his education in the public schools, followed farming until 1858, when he went to California and was connected with a water company for six and a half years. In 1865 he returned to Chatham and entered the employ of the Boston and Albany Railroad as yardmaster, in which capacity he served thirty-three years. His wife was Ella, daughter of Herman Knickerbocker. They have three children: Fred A., Charles H., and Louise G.
Pages 158 -160:
McCORMICK, Edward F., of Hudson, is a former district attorney of Columbia county, N. Y., and a young lawyer of marked ability. He was born in Sheffield, Berkshire county, Mass., April 3, 1864, a son of Edward and Betsey (Condon) McCormick. He has one brother, who is a railroad man and resides in Great Barrington, Mass. The father is now seventy-one years old and is engaged in farming, and was formerly employed as superintendent of roadbeds on the railway. His mother is now sixty-nine years old and a woman possessing fine qualities of mind and heart. Edward F. McCormick obtained his elementary education in the common schools, which was supplemented by a course of study in the Sheffield High School, from which he was graduated, standing well in his class. He then engaged as bookkeeper in the flouring and feed mills of Sheffield, known as the "Marble Mills," and continued thus occupied for about three years, being next engaged in teaching school in the village of Sheffield and later in Ashley Falls, a suburb of Sheffield. He did not expect to follow any of these avocations as the business of life, having for years been determined to study law, and was only awaiting the opportunity to make a suitable beginning. An excellent chance was afforded him through the interposition and effort of H. Hadley Smith, M. D., a resident physician of Hudson, Columbia county, N. Y., who secured him a place in the office of Andrews & Edwards, the leading attorneys in this city, in February, 1886. He remained under their excellent instruction for one year, when the firm was dissolved, Mr. Edwards having been appointed to the Supreme Court bench of the Third Judicial District. Mr. McCormick then became clerk of the Surrogate's Court, continuing his law studies under Isaac N. Collier, the surrogate, where he remained until November, 1892, when he was elected district attorney. He was admitted to the bar in the city of Albany, N. Y., November 30, 1889. He has been secretary and treasurer of the Columbia, Dutchess and Rensselaer Fire Insurance Company of Hudson, N. Y., since 1892. Politically Mr. McCormick is a Democrat, and one of the bright young men of that party, interested in the best government and the most faithful administration and enactment of wholesome laws. He has been a member of the Cowles Guard, the Twenty-third Separate Company of the National Guard of the State of New York, in which company he served eight years. Religiously he adheres to the Roman Catholic faith; and socially he stands well in the community, having the esteem and confidence of those who know him best. He did not consider his legal education finished when he commenced the practice of his profession, but from day to day still adds to his knowledge, thus following the path of sure success, of higher and higher achievement. He is a member of Hudson Club; charter member of Hudson Council, No. 316, Knights of Columbus; First Grand Knight of Council; a member of C. H. Evans Hook and Ladder Company. In the fall of 1900 Mr. McCormick was nominated for Congress in the Nineteenth Congressional District of New York on the Democratic ticket.
McGRATH, John H., p. o. New Lebanon, N. Y., was born in New Lebanon, August 25, 1862, son of Patrick and Mary (Donnelly) McGrath, who had children: John H., Mary (died in 1892), Bridget, Helen, Richard (died 1893), Frank, Rose, Peter, Elizabeth Barthole, and Agnes. Patrick McGrath was born in Ireland in 1842, and early in life came to New Lebanon, where he was educated and was a farmer; he died in 1877. John H. McGrath attended the common schools and business college, taught school for a time, and was in a store at Lebanon springs for nine years, and a traveling salesman for two years. He returned to New Lebanon and engaged in mercantile trade. He was collector of the town, deputy sheriff, and was appointed postmaster February 4, 1899.
McKITTRICK, Thomas Alexander, of Claverack, was born in Greenport, Columbia county, April 2, 1856, a son of William and Isabella (Wasson) McKittrick, and was educated in the district school. He remained at home and helped with the farm work until his father's death, which occurred November 13, 1898. Mr. McKittrick lives in one of the most historical places in the town; it was built by Isaac Van Hoesen in 1700. On June 26, 1889, Mr. McKittrick married Elizabeth Van Buskirk, a native of Saugerties, N. Y., and a daughter of John and Eliza Ann (Miller) Van Buskirk.
McNULTY, William B., of Hudson, was born in Dalton, Berkshire county, Mass., April 8, 1866. He is a son of Bernard McNulty, a native of Ireland, who came to Canada in 1837, where he worked as a tanner and currier; he died in Owego, N. Y., in 1890. William B. McNulty was educated in the public schools of Adams, Mass., and at the age of eighteen years entered the employ of the Boston and Albany Railroad Company, since which beginning he has striven successfully to master the science of railroad transportation. For sixteen years Mr. McNulty has been the trusted employee of this great corporation, which is known to be exacting in the character and ability of its agents, and has continually advanced from on position of trust to another -- sufficient evidence of his fitness for the confidence placed in him. In 1893 he was appointed the company's agent at Hudson, in which position he is still serving, to the satisfaction of his employers and the business public.
McSHANE, James, was born in the city of Hudson, April 9, 1861. He is a son of Peter McShane, a native of Ireland, who came to Hudson in 1845, where his life was spent as a blacksmith. James McShane was educated in the public schools of his native city, and was graduated from the Hudson Business College in 1877. He began his business career at once as a clerk in the employ of J. C. Rogerson, dealer in hardware, iron, steel and builders' supplies, and in September, 1899, became a member of the firm. He has been quite a prominent figure in local politics, having held the office of city clerk and clerk of the council from 1890 to 1896, and was a member of the board of health in 1897-99. He is fraternally a member of the Knights of Columbus and the C. B. L., and also the Twenty-third Separate Company, N. G. N. Y. Mr. McShane is a public-spirited, patriotic man, foremost in all movements promising progress, and whose record is that of an upright, useful citizen.
MEEKLE, James, p. o. Ancram Lead Mines, was born in Canada, of Scotch parents, January 16, 1843, the only son of James and Janet (Fallow) Meekle. He attended the schools of Canada, and at the age of fourteen years began working as a farm laborer, locating in Lewis county, N. Y., where he also attended school. In 1862 he removed to Columbia county, and in 1878 purchased the farm he now occupies. In 1871 he was married to Esther, daughter of John and Tammy (Strever) Silvernail. The have two children: Cora, and Grace, wife of Strever Pool. Mr. Meekle has served as assessor three years, and as highway commissioner two terms, and has taken an active interest in school and church matters.
Page 160 & 161:
MELIOUS, Allen. -- The first of the Melious family to settle in Columbia county was Anthony and his wife, Maria (Hydorn) Melious. They were of Holland descent and settled in the central part of the town of Ghent, taking up 245 acres of land. Their children were Adam, Polly, Elizabeth, Attie and Henry. Anthony willed the farm to his two sons, Adam and John A. Adam married Sally Waltermire, and John A. married Hannah Teal, and had children as follows: Elizabeth, Maria, Catherine and David. David's children were John H., Ellen, wife of William Adams; Mary Jane, wife of John Holsapple; Cyrus, Allen and Alden, all born on the homestead. Allen Melious was born December 8, 1853. He lived at home with his parents until his marriage October 19, 1887, to Georgiana, daughter of George and Marilla White, of Philmont. They have two children: Ethel Augusta, born August 8, 1888, and Alfred John, born March 27, 1897.
MELIOUS, John H., of Ghent -- The first of the Melious family to settle in Columbia county was Anthony and his wife, Maria (Hydorn) Melious. They were of Holland descent and settled in the central part of the town of Ghent, taking up 245 acres of land, which is known as the upper and lower farm. Their children were John, Adam, Polly, Elizabeth, Attie and Henry. When Anthony died, he willed the upper farm to Adam, who married Sally Waltermire, and the lower farm to John A., who married Hannah Teal; their children were Eliza, Maria, Catherine and David. David's children were John H., Ellen, wife of William Adams; Mary Jane, wife of John H. Holsapple; Cyrus, Allen and Alden. John H. Melious was born December 18, 1838, and educated in the common schools of Ghent and William Snyder's private school at Hudson. He was associated with his father on the farm until his father's death in 1895, at eighty-one years of age. His father willed the farm to John H. and Allen, and in 1899, John H. purchased his brother's interest and is conducting the farm alone. Mr. Melious is interested in town and county affairs and takes an active part in school and educational work; he is a liberal contributor to the different churches in the vicinity.
Pages 161 & 162:
MELIOUS, Luther, of Ghent. -- The first of the family of Melious to settle in Columbia county was Anthony L. and his wife, Maria (Hydorn) Melious. They were of Holland descent and settled in the central part of the town of Ghent, taking up about 245 acres of land, which is designated as the upper and lower farm. Their children were John, Adam, Polly, Elizabeth, Attie and Henry (who died when a young man). After the death of Anthony the two sons took up the property, Adam taking the upper farm and John the lower. Adam's children were Sylvester, Sarah Maria, Michael Anthony and Catherine Elizabeth. John's children were Maria, Catherine, Eliza and David. Sylvester married Millena, daughter of Chilon Howard and had children as follows: Luther, Sarah, Virginia, Eva, Minerva and Mary Jane, all deceased. Luther Melious was born in the western part of the town of Ghent, September 21, 1840. He was educated in the common schools of the town of Ghent and Hudson Academy. He was associated on the farm with his father until his father's death, in February, 1893, at the age of seventy-seven years. November 18, 1862, he married Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of Richard D. and Catherine Maria (Harder) Link; they had two sons, Myron L. and Milton P., who died at the age of twelve years. Myron L. lives in the town of Copake. He married Jennie, daughter of Alfred Curtis; they have one daughter, Mable, who is the sixth generation to live on the homestead. Luther Melious died October 4, 1900.
MELIUS, William H., p. o. Claverack, N. Y., was born in the town of Claverack, December 10, 1835, son of John W. and Clarissa (Turner) Melius. He attended the district school and for a time was a student at the academy, which he left for a situation as clerk in the general store of Erastus Stannard, where he spent some time in learning the methods of business, when he returned to the academy and completed his studies. On finally leaving school he engaged in the business of painting, with his father, continuing until about 1865, when he and his brother Charles as partners opened a general store in Claverack. They carried on the business until 1871, when they disposed of the business to Mr. Hermance, with whom William H. remained as clerk for a period of seventeen years. He always has been quite prominently connected with town affairs, having held several town offices. Under President Arthur's administration he was appointed postmaster, to fill the unexpired term of George Neefus. At present he is one of the justice of the peace in the town of Claverack, which position he has held six years.
MENBERT, Henry L., p. o. Malden Bridge, N. Y., was born at Chatham Center, N. Y., May 7, 1855. His father, Walter Menbert, was a native of Columbia county, born in 1822, and was a farmer. He was married to Anna Van Slyck, and their children are Henry L., Mary and Alice. Henry L. Menbert was educated in the common schools, and since leaving school has been engaged in farming. He is one of Chatham's substantial citizens.
Pages 162 & 163:
MENICK, Sebastian, late of Hudson, was born in 1823 in Bavaria, Germany, and came to the United States in 1842. He first engaged in the dry goods trade in Ghent, and later removed to Chatham, whence he came to Hudson in 1856, where he was engaged in the dry goods business for thirty-six years. In 1859 he was married to Mary, daughter of Jacob Falk, of Albany, who, in 1874, engaged in the millinery business in connection with the firm of Menick & Falk. Mr. Menick died July 3, 1893, and his loss was sincerely felt in the community where he was so long known, and regarded as a conscientious, upright man. In 1893, Mrs. Menick established her present millinery business, which is considered the leading establishment in the city.
Page 338 & 339:
MERCER, Edwin G., of Hillsdale, was born in the town of Austerlitz, October 11, 1860. His father, George C. Mercer, was born in Canaan in 1828 and was a farmer and a large dealer in sheep; he served as supervisor of the town of Austerlitz for a number of years. He married Carrie Hull, who bore him children as follows: George A. (deceased), Edwin G., Frank, Harry D. (deceased), Mary V., Mercer Gilbert, of Hillsdale and Idella V. Edwin G. was was educated in the common schools and is now engaged in farming. He has served as assessor for nine years. Mr. Mercer married Minnie M., daughter of Martin J. Sweet; their children are Frank M., William D., and John H.
MERRIFIELD, Peter W., p. o. Claverack, N. Y., was born June 10, 1843, son of Walter W. and Ann Eliza (Pulver) Merrifield. He was educated in the public schools. He always has been a farmer, and at present conducts one of the best farms in Columbia county, containing in all about 400 acres of land, on which he keeps a large quantity of live stock. He is recognized as one of the progressive agriculturists of the county, employing modern and advanced methods of cultivation and stock raising. He is a man of good repute and well known in town affairs. He held the office of assessor from 1886 to 1893. In September, 1868, he was married to Augusta Mooney, daughter of Davis P. and Magina (Philip) Mooney. They have three children, as follows: Chester W., born in 1877; Louis, born in 1879, and Clara Louise, born in 1882.
MERWIN, Eugene, p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y., was born in Valatie, N. Y., June 14, 1838. His father, Daniel E. Merwin, was a native of Kinderhook; he was a dentist and jeweler, and served his town as poormaster for a number of years. He was married to Mary Ann Shufelt, and they were the parents of the subject of this notice, John W. of Valatie and Mary W. (Merwin) Keeler of Brooklyn. The father died in 1865. Eugene Merwin was educated in the district schools and at Binghamton, N. Y. His first business enterprise was in the jewelry trade; later he was bookkeeper in a sutler's store in Washington, D. C., for eighteen months, and then came to Columbia county and was engaged at farming for a year and a half. He next went to Sand Lake, N. Y., where he was engaged in paper manufacture for eleven years. In 1876 he came to Kinderhook and began farming, which he has followed since. He has been ballot clerk since the establishment of the office. He is a member of Greenbush Lodge No. 337, F. & A. M., and a member of the Knights of Pythias. He married Augusta C. Proseus, who bore him four children, as follows: Henry C., Mary, Sarah P. (deceased, 1877), and Charles E. Mrs. Merwin died December 29, 1898.
Pages 163 & 164:
MESICK, Benjamin S., is a son of Abram Jordan Mesick and Margaret Christina Shultz Mesick, his wife, and in early life attended the district schools of his native village and finished his education in the Rhinebeck Academy. In 1868 he came to Claverack and remained with his parents until he was thirty years of age, when he bought the Andrew Miller place and engaged in farming for himself. In 1888 he bought the place he now owns. Mr. Mesick is a member of Hudson Lodge No. 7, F. & A. M. On February 21, 1877, he married Caroline Livingston Lockwood, a daughter of Ambrose and Julia Frances (Van Rensselaer) Lockwood: they have seven children: Francis I., Margaret S., Frederic N., Mary (deceased), Peter, Harriet Louise and John.
MESICK, Edgar Eugene, of Claverack, was born in Hudson, January 2, 1847, a son of Peter H. and Magdaline (Truax) Mesick. He attended the district school in his younger days and at the same time helped in his brother's cigar factory. He soon learned to make cigars and prepare the tobacco for that purpose and he remained with them until he was twenty-one, when he removed to Mellenville, on to a part of the old Mesick farm, and has been there ever since. Mr. Mesick manufactures a medium grade cigar and always has more orders than he can fill. Just before the Raines Law went into effect he was elected one of the excise commissioners, but served only two months. On February 25, 1869, Mr. Mesick married Mary Jane Graham, daughter of Christopher and Sarah (Ewart) Graham; they have two sons: Frank E. and George G.
Pages 164 & 165:
MESICK, Jacob P., of Hudson, was born in Claverack, August 26, 1848. His father, John, and his grandfather, Jacob P., were also natives of Claverack, where his great-grandfather, John, settled about 1740. For four generations the family have been farmers. John Mesick, father of the subject of this notice, was married to Jane E., daughter of Peter Sagendorph; he was well known as an upright man of unimpeachable character; he died in 1897. Jacob P. Mesick secured his education at the Claverack Academy. He is known as one of the progressive and successful farmers of Columbia county, is a director of the Farmers' National Bank and a trustee of Claverack Academy and Hudson River Institute. In 1869 he was married to Jane E. Miller, who passed away in 1890, and who bore him the following named children: Mrs. Anna Myer and Misses Maude, J. Louisa, Bessie and Catherine N. He was married, second, to Ella Fritts.
MESICK, Nelson H., M. D., of Livingston, N. Y., was born in Valatie, N. Y., October 8, 1845, son of James and Martha J. (Ham) Mesick (she a daughter of Philip T. and Sarah (Wilson) Ham), who had four children: Sarah, Nelson H., Ophelia and Willie, all natives of Columbia county. Dr. Nelson H. Mesick obtained his preparatory education in the public schools of Valatie and at Kinderhook Academy. When about eighteen years of age he began the study of medicine with Dr. Stephen H. Talmadge, of Valatie, and later on took two courses of lectures at Albany Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1868. Soon after his graduation he located at West Taghkanic, where he remained five years, removing thence to Glenco Mills, where he since has practiced his profession. He is a member of the County Medical Society. In 1871 he was married to Annie S., daughter of Whiting and Caroline Sheldon.
MESICK, Thomas, p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y., was born in the town of Chatham, N. Y., January 23, 1821. His father, Martin Mesick, was a farmer and served his town as poormaster a number of years; he was married to Chrisnah Van Valkenburgh, who bore him the following named children: Fiet, Barnt, Martin, James, Thomas, John A., Edward D. and Catherine M. He died in 1847, and his wife the year following. After obtaining his education in the public schools, Thomas Mesick learned the carpenter's trade, afterward removing to Ghent and engaging in farming. In 1861 he removed to Kinderhook, where he has continued farming to the present time. He was married to Helen Shults, and they have had the following children: Mary F., Catherine (deceased), Martin T., and John W. Mary F. was married to Dr. Frank C. Maxon, practicing physician of Chatham, Columbia county. They have two children: Frank C. and Fay Irving. Catherine married Daniel H. Angell, of Chatham; her children were Amy (deceased), John Manton and Ethel Birdie (John Manton married Elenora Kipp. Ethel Birdie married William Diefendorf; they have two children: Evelin and Helen). Martin T. married Elizabeth McDowell, of Valatie; their children are Thomas H., Isabell, Paul and Charles. John W. married Evanah Ham; they have two children: Catherine Irene and Clarence. Martin T. is now living in Syracuse, N. Y., having moved there four years ago to educate his children.