FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
"Mi - Mo" SURNAMES
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
MICHAEL, Frank L., of Hudson, was born in the town of Claverack, N. Y., November 14, 1860. His great-grandfather, Anthony Michael was one of the pioneers of the town, holding a lease of land from the proprietor of the Livingston Manor. His father, Anthony C. Michael, was a farmer, and closely identified with the church history of Martindale Depot; he was married to Charlotte Ham. Frank L. Michael was educated in the district schools and at the Hudson River Institute at Claverack. He studied law in the office of Smith & Wellington, of Troy, N. Y., and was graduated from the Albany Law School and admitted to the bar in 1885. After his admission he spent five years in Lockport, N. Y., and then came to Hudson, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession and in conducting a real estate business. Mr. Michael is an energetic man, keenly alive to his opportunities, ranks well at the bar, and is a worthy citizen.
MICKLE, John P., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Canaan, N. Y., September 20, 1845. He is a son of Daniel J. Mickle and grandson of John Mickle, who was born April 27, 1773, died December 10, 1848, and was one of the pioneer farmers of Columbia county. Daniel J. Mickle was a native of Columbia county, born March 12, 1819, and was a farmer. He came to Chatham April 1, 1859, where he served as deputy sheriff. His wife was Malinda M. Clarke, who bore him two children: John P. and Anna E., who died in 1859. D. J. Mickle died November 6, 1883, and his wife in 1873. John P. Mickle attended the common schools and finished his schooling at Chatham Academy. Since March 1, 1863, he has been connected with railroading, and is now a conductor on the Harlem Division of the New York Central Railroad. He has been president of the village of Chatham one year, and a trustee for five years, president of the Columbia County Agricultural Society, member of school board nine years, and is now president of the Chatham Water-Works Company. He has been a member of Columbia Lodge No. 98, F. & A. M., for twenty-eight years, and is a member of Friendship Lodge No. 95, K. of P. He was united in marriage with Minnie Deleyer, and they have had the following children: John D., Theodore B. (died in 1876), Harry (died in 1876), Minnie T., Anna E., and Mary A.
Pages 166 & 167:
MICKLE, William A., p. o. Valatie, N. Y., was born in the town of Chatham, N. Y., on January 1, 1840, son of Simeon A. and Catherine (Simmons) Mickle, whose children were, besides the subject of this notice, Mary, Caroline, Sylvester, Simeon and Ida. Simeon A. Mickle was a blacksmith, born in Hillsdale, N. Y., and died October 15, 1882; his widow's death occured on March 16, 1883. William A. Mickle's education was obtained in the district schools; after leaving school he worked at blacksmithing for a time and then learned the carpenter and wagonmaker's trade. He came to Valatie in 1892, and is now conducting a general store. He held the office of excise commissioner for three years. His wife was Ermina Westfall.
MILLER, Adam, p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y., son of Philip and Anna Van Valkenburgh Miller, was born in Greene county, N. Y., in 1829. His father, who was a farmer, was born in Germantown, Columbia county, but was long a resident of Greene county, where he served as collector and poormaster. His children were as follows: Helen, Cynthia, Catharine, Lydia, Jane, Martha and Henry (died in 1870). Philip Miller died in 1890 and his wife in 1880. Adam Miller's education was obtained in the common schools; he has always been a farmer. His wife was Catherine Hollenbeck, who has borne him the following children: Anna (died in 1884), Dwight, Maggie, Herbert, Eliza, and Philip (died in 1862).
MILLER, Arthur, of Ancram, was born in the town of Ancram, N. Y., near the village of Boston Corners, April 14, 1845, son of John I. and Eliza (Randall) Miller. John I. Miller was twice married; his first wife was Miss Silvernail, who died survived by one son, Nicholas. His second wife, Eliza Randall, bore him three children: Maria, Abbie, and Arthur. John I. was a farmer and a son of John, of German descent. Arthur Miller was educated in the common schools of Ancram, and was associated with his father until 1873, when he purchased the farm where he now lives and follows dairying. He owns about 460 acres of land. For about twenty years he followed threshing and pressing, during the fall, and at one time operated two machines. This business for the past few years was under the charge of his son, Willie J. Mr. Miller has served as school trustee, town clerk, and at present is one of the assessors of the town, and is a member, trustee and treasurer of the Lutheran church. He has been twice married; his first wife was Kate, daughter of Strever Tanner; she bore him one child, Strever, who died when eight months old. His second wife was Almeda, daughter of Abram A. Vosburgh; they had three children: Willie J., who married Julia, daughter of Henry Lasher, and died in 1899, aged twenty-four years; Lillie May, and Chester A.
MILLER, Cornelius E., p. o. Ghent, N. Y., was born in Ghent, where he has always lived, on December 14, 1845. His ancestors were from Holland, and his father was a native of the town of Claverack, N. Y., but died in Ghent, where he had lived for forty years, October 1, 1898. Mr. Miller resides on the farm of 170 acres which was bequeathed to his wife, Sarah Crapser (born January 31, 1849), daughter of David and Elizabeth A. (Harder) Crapser. David Crapser was of Holland descent; he died October 30, 1899, and his wife in 1892. Mr. Miller pursues general farming, is prosperous in his business and thoroughly respected in the community in which he dwells. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have four children, three daughters and one son.
Pages 339 & 340:
MILLER, Egbert, of Ancram, was born on the farm where he now resides in the town of Ancram, N. Y., December 24, 1838, a son of Benjamin B. and Annie (Kiefer) Miller, who were the parents of nine children as follows: Jacob, Maria, Sarah, Margaret, Henry, Benjamin, Herman, Egbert, and Maryette, all born in Columbia county. Receiving his education in the district school, Egbert Miller began his lifework by purchasing the homestead farm, containing 180 acres, where he has since lived and carried on general farming. He has been quite active in the public affairs of the town, and at present is serving his second term as assessor; he is a member of the Presbyterian church at Ancram Lead Mines, and is a member of its board of session. In January, 1859, he was married to Sarah, daughter of Duncan and Nancy (McArthur) Smith. She died, having borne him four children, namely: Homer, married Stella Matthews, and is station agent at Ancram Lead Mines; Egbert, station agent at Pleasant Valley; Annie L., living at home, and Lodia (deceased). His second wife is Elizabeth, daughter of Seth Turpin.
MILLER, Emmett A., of Copake, was born in the town of Copake, N. Y., September 21, 1861, son of James E. and Elizabeth (Robinson) Miller, who were the parents of three children, Emmett A., Floyd and Blanche, who were all born in Copake. James E. Miller was a son of Adam I. and Charity (Niver) Miller, and grandson of John Miller. Emmett A. Miller attended the schools of Copake and Hillsdale, and remained at home until twenty-one years old, when he began farming on his own account, which occupation he still follows, having charge of a farm of 275 acres and making a specialty of dairying. On January 18, 1882, he was married to Emma J. Cronk, who died May 16, 1882. On January 31, 1884, he was married to Annie, daughter of Calvin and Eliza (Christy) Conklin; they have two children, Harry and Fred, born in Copake.
Pages 167 & 168:
MILLER, Gordon S., p. o. Claverack, N. Y., was born in Claverack, October 14, 1861. He is a son of Obadiah and Mary (Stickles) Miller, who were the parents of eight children. At the age of fourteen years Gordon S. left home and ws employed on the farm of Friend Miller for two years. at the expiration of which time he engaged with Reuben S. Miller with whom he remained six years. In 1883 he was married to Frederica A. (Pultz) Decker, and began farming on his own account. Mrs. Miller bore him one daughter, Beulah, and died in 1895. He afterward was married to Mary Bennett, daughter of Robert and Phoebe (Miller) Bennett. They have two children, Ethel, born in 1897, and Clarence, born in 1899.
MILLER, Granville, was born in Claverack, June 24, 1857, a son of Obadiah and Mary (Stickles) Miller, and was educated in the district school. He helped his father about the farm until twenty years of age, when he learned the wagon maker's trade with Fred Habener. He remained with him four years, then tried farming again in the town of Livingston; from Livingston he went to Roxbury and from Roxbury to Martindale, where he took the Mary Jacobia farm, which he has operated for the last ten years; he now has 275 acres in addition to that and carries on a successful business in wagon making and carriage blacksmithing as well. On January 19, 1879, Mr. Miller married Fannie Ham, daughter of Zachariah and Charity (Decker) Ham; they have two children.
MILLER, Harry C., was born in Hudson, N. Y., September 25, 1856, son of Cornelius H. Miller, born in Hudson in 1821, and grandson of Harry C. Miller, at one time sheriff of Columbia county, and born in Claverack in 1801. The family of Muller or Miller, came from Nantucket and acquired lands west of the Livingston Manor, and were prominent in the early days of the county. Cornelius H. Miller was married to Mary Van Wagenen, and was a hotelkeeper through life; he purchased the Worth House in Hudson in 1858, and died in 1870 in his forty-ninth year. Harry C. Miller, the subject of this sketch, was educated in Hudson, at Poughkeepsie Military Academy and at Williston Seminary, graduating from the latter in 1875. For twenty-five years he has been connected with the hotel business and has been manager of the Worth House for twenty years. In 1887 he was married to Elvah, daughter of Byron Parker. They have one son, Harry Parker Miller. Mr. Miller has always taken an active interest in the city's fire department, and served four years as chief engineer.
MILLER, Herman, of Ancram, was born in the town of Ancram, N. Y., May 24, 1835, son of Benjamin B. and Annie (Kiefer) Miller, who had nine children, namely: Jacob, Maria, Sarah, Margaret, Henry, Benjamin B., Jr., Herman, Egbert, and Maryette, all natives of Columbia county. Herman Miller was educated in the common schools of Ancram, and remained on the farm with his parents until he was twenty-three years of age, when he began for himself by purchasing the farm of 248 acres where he now resides and carries on general farming. Mr. Miller has served his town as assessor for two years, is an elder and trustee of the Lutheran church, and in all ways an esteemed citizen. In 1858 he was married to Emily D., daughter of Enoch Snyder.
Pages 169 & 170:
MILLER, Homer J., p. o. Claverack, N. Y., was born in the town of Claverack, October 22, 1855, the son of Friend and Sarah Ann (Bain) Miller. He attended the public schools of Claverack and completed his studies at the Claverack Academy. He has always resided at one place, on the farm purchased by his grandfather, Jacob M. Miller, upon whose decease it passed to his son Friend, father of Homer J., from whom the latter inherited it. Mr Miller's farm gives visible evidence of his skill as an agriculturist and of his thrifty habits and persistent industry. He has made a success of his vocation, and stands high in the estimation of his community. Mr. Miller has been twice married. His first wife was Henrietta, daughter of William and Sarah (Fellows) Smith, who bore him one son, Carroll S., born September 16, 1880. Mrs. Miller died November 13, 1889. On January 15, 1891, he was married to Mary Etta Fellows, a daughter of Lewis E. and Maria (Smith Fellows. They have no children.
Pages 340 & 341:
MILLER, James E., of Copake, was born in the town of Copake, November 13, 1835, a son of Adam I. and Charity (Niver) Miller, whose children were Mary, wife of Peter Carroll; Catherine, widow of the late Daniel Calkins; James E., Amelia, deceased wife of John H. Wilkinson; Elizabeth, Lester, Augusta, and Eudora, wife of Charles Boice, all natives of the town of Copake. Adam I. Miller was a son of John, and by occupation a farmer. James E. Miller received a common school education and remained on the home farm until he was twenty-two years old, when he took a farm of his father and operated it eight years, and then purchased the farm of 204 acres where he now lives and operates a dairy. At the age of twenty-one he was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Reuben and Eleanor (Decker) Robinson. They have three children: Emmett, Floyd, and Blanche, wife of Homer Magley. Mr. Miller is public-spirited man and a citizen useful and valuable to his town.
MILLER, John Henry, of Taghkanic, was born on the farm where he now resides, September 2, 1840, son of Benjamin and Sally (Link) Miller, who had seven children, as follows: John Henry, Susan, wife of John Wesley Waldorph; Mary, wife of Sylvester Holsapple; Benjamin Jordan, who married Fannie Sheldon; Adam E., who married Augusta Knickerbocker; Hannah S., wife of James Waldorph, and Ward, who married Della Sheldon, all born on the homestead, with the exception of Ward, who was born in the town of Copake. Benjamin Miller was a native of the town of Copake and moved on to the homestead where John Henry now lives, when he was nine years of age, with his father, John B., who purchased the homestead in 1816. John H. Miller was educated in the common schools of Taghkanic and was associated with his parents until twenty-one years of age, when he started in life for himself as a farmer, locating in the town of Copake, where he remained two years, then moved to the homestead, which contains 175 acres; he now owns 1,400 acres of land and speculates largely in sheep and cattle. On April 3, 1889, he married Annie, daughter of Aaron and Hannah (Carl) Rowe, who bore him one child, Ruth. Mr. Miller has represented his town on the board of supervisors three terms and justice of the peace four years. He is interested in school and educational work and has been connected with the school in an official capacity as trustee, etc., many years; he is also one of the directors of the Town Insurance Company.
Pages 341 & 342:
MILLER, Lester, of Copake, was born in the town of Copake, N. Y., April 28, 1843, son of Adam I. and Charity (Niver) Miller, who were the parents of nine children, namely: Mary Jane, Catherine, James E., Amelia H., Elizabeth A., Lester, Augusta V., Emily, and Udora. Adam I. Miller was a son of John B. and a farmer; he died in 1871. Lester Miller, after receiving a common school education, labored on the homestead farm on the banks of Miller pond in the southern part of the town until he was twenty-five years of age, when he rented the farm he now owns for two years, and in 1873 purchased it. He follows dairying and cattle raising. In 1868 he was married to Martha A., daughter of William I. and Eliza Holsapple. They have had eight children, namely: Carrie, Ettie, John, Annie, George, Frank, Elsie, Nina, living, and William, deceased.
MILLER, Madison, of Hudson, was born in the town of Claverack, N. Y., October 9, 1841. His grandfather was Samuel Miller, a descendant of one of the earliest settlers of the town, and his father was George L., who was married to Lavina Michael, and was through life engaged in merchandising and dealing in live stock; he was a prominent and useful man in Claverack, and died in 1893. Madison Miller was educated in the district schools, and in 1858 came to Hudson, where he became connected with mercantile trade, with which he was identified for thirty-five years. In 1893 he entered the service of the Hudson Light and Power Company as secretary and treasurer. In this capacity, as well as that of former merchant, Mr. Miller commands the confidence of the business public. His long residence in the city, supported by a life of integrity, manliness and good works, has drawn around him a host of friends, not one of whom has aught to say but commendation. He is a trustee of the Universalist church. In 1867 he was married to Catherine Bartle, who has borne him one daughter, Miss Albertine B. Miller.
MILLER, Perry, of Ancram, was born in the town of Ancram, on the farm where he now resides, son of Jacob and Elsie (Blass) Miller, who were the parents of eight children, as follows: Sarah, Perry, Frank, Alice, Fred, Carrie, Annie, and Herman, all natives of Ancram. Jacob's wife, Elsie, was a daughter of Zachariah M. Blass. Jacob Miller was a son of Benjamin and Annie (Kiefer) Miller, and their children numbered nine, as follows: Jacob, Maria, Margaret, Sarah, Maryett, Herman, Benjamin, Henry and Egbert, all born in Columbia county. Perry Miller attended the common schools of Ancram, and assisted in the farm work at home until he was twenty years of age, when he purchased the farm where he now resides, which contains 159 acres; he follows general farming. November 25, 1874, he was married to Mary, daughter of Ward McArthur; they have one daughter, Cora, wife of Charles Barton. Mr. Miller is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at East Ancram.
MILLER, Peyton Farrell, the only son of Theodore Mill, was born in Hudson, March 21, 1846. He was graduated from Williams College in 1867, and was admitted to the Columbia county bar in 1869. He practiced law at Hudson until 1872, when he moved to Albany, where he continued the practice of his profession until in 1895, when, upon the death of his father, he returned to Hudson, having retired from active practice. He now resides in Hudson, spending a good part of his time in travel and literary work.
MILLER, Reuben S., of Livingston, N. Y., was born in the town of Claverack, N. Y., February 4, 1833, son of Samuel M. and Elizabeth (Bachman) Miller, who were the parents of eight children: Allen S., Catherine, Eliza, Emeline, Harmon, Reuben S., Jacob F., lawyer of New York, Peter, and Chester, all born in the town of Claverack. Samuel M. Miller was a son of Mathias, and a farmer. Reuben S. Miller was educated in the common schools, and when thirty-one years of age purchased the farm of 215 acres where he now lives. In 1859 he was married to Laura, daughter of Whiting and Caroline Sheldon; they have two children: Mary L., wife of Elmer Myres, and Harry W. Mr. Miller has served as supervisor two terms, and is an active worker in the Lutheran church at Churchtown, of which he has been treasurer and a trustee for a long time.
Pages 170 & 171:
MILLER, Hon. Theodore. -- A man whose life and memory call for greater reverence, perhaps, than those of any other member of the bar and judiciary of this county, was Theodore Miller, who rose to a position on the bench of the highest court in the State. He was born in Hudson, May 16, 1816, a son of Cornelius Miller, who was an eminent lawyer of his time and for a period in partnership with Martin Van Buren, but died at an early age. After Theodore Miller was educated, he studied law and was admitted to the bar when twenty-one years of age, and immediately entered upon an active practice of his profession. In 1843 he was appointed district attorney for this county, and during his administration was compelled to face and dispose of many serious difficulties connected with the anti-rent movement. So well did he perform his duties during this stormy and trying time in the criminal history of the county that he came out of the ordeal with unlimited approbation. From that date he followed his profession with the most gratifying success until 1861, when he was chosen one of the justices of the Supreme Court in the Third Judicial District. For this lofty position he was eminently fitted by his long period of active practice and his rare qualifications as a lawyer. Although this county had gone Republican by 1,000 majority the previous year, Judge Miller received 2,500 majority as a Democrat. On the bench he won the same high estimate of his ability, integrity, and thoroughness that was placed upon his career as a lawyer. After eight years of service in this capacity, Judge Miller was re-elected in 1869 without opposition, and in 1870 was appointed presiding justice of the General Term of the Third Judicial Department, including twenty-eight counties. In this broader field he gained the universal approval of the public and of his brethren. In the fall of 1874 he was placed in nomination by the Democrats for associate judge of the Court of Appeals, the highest judicial position in the State. His nomination called out favorable editorial notice from Democratic and Republican journals alike, and he was elected by a majority of about 50,000. His career on the Court of Appeals bench was brilliant, and his labor unremitting. His opinions are very numerous and are considered by the profession as remarkable for clearness and simplicity of style, deep research and profound knowledge. At the breaking out of the Rebellion Judge Miller espoused the cause of the Union, and delivered the first speech in this county in favor of the war. He was a devoted Democrat all his life and until his elevation to the bench an active participant in politics. He established a reputation as an orator of great popularity and convincing eloquence in the many campaigns in which he participated, and of which he was active in politics he exercised a potent influence in the councils of his party, and his advice was sought by the Democratic leaders in the State and Nation. Although wielding political power he never sought office, and although frequently solicited to accept places on the ticket he refused all such nominations except those in the line of the profession in which by his talents and industry he attained such eminence. Having on May 16, 1886, attained the age of seventy, he retired from the bench December 31 of that year, under the limitation as to age fixed by the Constitution. He survived until August 18, 1895, spending most of the time after his retirement at Hudson, in the county to which he had added honor, and among the people by whom he was held in such great respect. Until the very end he retained an active interest in the affairs of the day, and spent his time in reading and informing himself in regard to public matters, looking after his estate and in corresponding and associating with the members of his family and a large circle of friends.
MILLER, William R., p. o. East Chatham, N. Y., was born in West Nassau, N. Y., in 1848, a son of Reuben and Catherine (Cary) Miller, whose children were William R. and Sanford E. Reuben Miller was born in Greenbush, N. Y.; came to Columbia county in 1868, and followed farming; his wife Catherine died in 1897. William R. Miller was given a common school education, and is a carpenter and joiner by trade, but a present is engaged in farming. He has served as commissioner of highways and excise commissioner for years, and is a member of the Grange. His wife is Catherine, daughter of Henry and Mary Elsworth, and their children are Mrs. Minnie Conklin and Clara E. Miller.
Pages 171 & 172:
MONT ROSS, James A., of Hudson, of the firm of Cure & Mont Ross, of Hudson, was born in Saugerties, N. Y., January 3, 1850, a son of Robert and Hannah Mont Ross. Robert Mont Ross was a native of Sullivan county and was a descendant of John Mont Ross, who emigrated from Scotland about 1700; the former was a millwright and mechanical engineer, and was well known in Ulster county and vicinity as a skillful mechanic and a man of unblemished reputation. James A. Mont Ross received his education at Saugerties and followed his father in his business, being the fourth generation identified as builders, millwrights and engineers. Mr. Mont Ross can point to many of the prominent buildings in Saugerties as examples of his handiwork, including the principal public buildings, the opera-house and paper-mills. In 1898 he came to Hudson, where the present firm of which he is a member was formed. This firm in 1899, were awarded the contract to erect the new Columbia County Courthouse, which at this date (1900) is nearing completion. He also erected many of the public buildings at Catskill; he was connected with the construction of the draw-bridge. Planned and built Thomas Bell's mill at Castleton. Planned and erected the opera-house and Fort Orange Paper Mills; has also served the State in several institutions as chief engineer for a number of years. In 1871 he was married to Evlena, daughter of W. C. Niblette, superintendent of water-works; they have two sons: Sanford and J. Walter.
MOORE, Alvin, p. o. Stuyvesant Falls, N. Y., was born at Germantown, January 13, 1856, a son of Edward and Lucinda (Smith) Moore, who had six children, as follows: Alvin, Laton, Violetta (wife of Charles Tipple), Foster, Lizzie (wife of Edward Lyke) and Edward B. Edward Moore was a native of Columbia county and moved to the town of Ghent about 1867; he was a son of Sebastian Moore, who was of Holland descent. Alvin Moore spent his early life on the farm with his father, working summer and attending school winters. He was associated with his father until his father's death, November 16, 1881, when with his brother Laton, he took charge of the estate and in 1884, purchased the farm of the heirs, where he has since lived and carried on general farming; his farm consists of 218 acres. December 16, 1885, Mr. Moore married Annie, daughter of Soloman and Christiana Sharp; they have three children: Warner A, Harvey S. and Edna S. Mr. Moore is a public spirited man, taking an active part in educational work and town and county affairs. He is at present (1900), serving as school trustee and has taken an active part in the development and growth of the Stuyvesant Falls creamery.
MOORE, Charles Nelson, was born in the town of Livingston, July 18, 1848, a son of Philip H. and Mary Ann (Van Wagoner) Moore. He received a common school education and began when quite young to learn farming, which he has followed all his life. In 1880 he bought the place he now occupies, and it is one of the best located farms in the county. On September 20, 1871, Mr. Moore married Mary Van Dusen, daughter of George and Hannah (Baringer) Van Dusen; they have four children: Lula May, born September 6, 1875; Jessie, born November, 1878, Augustus P., born September, 1881, and Benjamin C., born January, 1884.
MOORE, Laton, p. o. Stottville, N. Y., was born in the town of Germantown, N. Y., March 4, 1857, a son of Edward and Lucinda (Smith) Moore, who had six children: Alvin, Laton, Violetta (wife of Charles Tipple), Foster, Lizzie (wife of Edward Lyke), and Edward B., all natives of Columbia county and by occupation farmers. Edward Moore was born in the town of Clermont, a son of Sebastian Moore, who was of German descent. Sebastian's children were Jeremiah B., Walter, Edward, Catherine (wife of Reuben Fingar), Maria (wife of Adam Fingar), and Lewis. Laton Moore was educated in the common schools and was associated with his father on the farm until his father's death in 1881, when he and his brother Alvin took charge of the estate, which they conducted in partnership until 1889. At that date Laton purchased the farm where he now resides, which consists of 151 acres, and carries on general farming and stock raising. March 25, 1886, Mr. Moore Married Annie, daughter of Peter and Catherine Philip; they have two children: Florence and Homer. Mr. Moore is interested in town and county affairs and active in education work. He is a member of the Second Reformed church, of which he has been deacon and elder for several years.
MOORE, Lucius, of Hudson, N. Y., was born in Leverett, Mass. on February 1, 1827. The progenitor of the Moore family was an early settler of Leverett. Lewis Moore, father of the subject of this notice, was a miller and wheelwright; he died in 1847 in his fifty-fifth year. Lucius Moore left his Massachusetts home when a boy and came to Hudson, where he began his business career as a clerk in a dry goods store. For forty-five years he has been actively engaged in business in Hudson, achieving success and establishing a reputation for integrity, sound sense, progressive methods and honorable dealing. He has been twice married. His first wife was Phoebe A. Jenkins, and his second was Harriet F. Clark. His children are two sons, James C. and Lewis H., and two daughters, Sarah A. and T. Grace.
MOORE, Reuben, p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Chatham, September 14, 1843. He is named after his grandfather, Reuben Moore, and is the son of William R. Moore, who was a farmer, born in Chatham and died in 1844. William R. was married, in 1839, to Jane P. Traver, sister of James Traver of Chatham village; she died in 1841, leaving on child, a daughter, Sarah J., who died in 1855. William R.'s second wife was Eliza H. Howard, of New Lebanon, who was the mother of two sons: William R., Jr., who died in 1856, and Reuben Moore, the subject of this sketch. Reuben was a close student in the common and academic schools of Chatham and Spencertown. He taught school two terms, has served as assessor of his town, and is recognized as a good business man and honored citizen. Mr. Moore is a frequent writer for the agricultural press. He devotes his time at present to agricultural pursuits, including special fruit culture. He was married to Mary Isabelle Brown, of Painesville, O., in 1893. Reuben Moore (grandfather of Reuben, whose sketch is given above), was born in Great Barrington, Mass., February 8, 1768, the son of Noadiah Moore, who was one of the early settlers of the town of Chatham, N. Y., during the Revolution; he was one of the active, successful farmers of Columbia county during the first half of the last century. He was appointed coroner by Gov. John Jay, February 28, 1799, and again February 11, 1810; March 19, 1813, he was appointed a master in chancery by Gov. Daniel D. Tompkins, and served in these official positions with ability and honor. He died at the advanced age of ninety-one, December 27, 1858.
Pages 173 & 174:
MOORE, Robison, of Clermont, was born in the northern part of the town of Clermont, November 26, 1851, the only son of John H. and Catherine (Robison) Moore. John H. was a son of Christian and Catherine (Miller) Moore, who had seven children, as follows: Christian, John H., Margaret, Betsey, Jacob, Serena and Adaline, all born in the town of Clermont. Mr. Moore's early life was spent with his parents on the farm and he was educated in the schools of Clermont, Hudson Academy and Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie. He was associated with his father until his father's death in 1891, since which time he has carried on the farm alone making a specialty of fruit growing. On January 21, 1880, Mr. Moore married Mary, daughter of German Fingar, and they have two children, Elizabeth and Floyd. Mr. Moore is interested in town and county affairs, and takes an active part in school and educational work. He has held the position of truant officer since the office was created and also has served as clerk of the district many terms. He is one of the supporting members of the Lutheran church, and at one time held the position of deacon.
MOREY, Robert H., M. D., p. o. Old Chatham, N. Y., is a native of Rhode Island, and was born March 3, 1835. His father was Robert Morey, a farmer, born in Connecticut in 1798, and his mother was Hannah Gardner, born in Rhode Island in 1798. Mr. and Mrs. Morey's children were Gardner P., Hannah (deceased), and Dr. Robert H. Robert Morey died in 1889 and his wife Hannah in 1866. Dr. Robert H. Morey was educated in the common schools and Williams College, and pursued his medical studies at the Berkshire Medical Institute. He practiced for a number of years in New Jersey, removing thence to Old Chatham in 1870, where he has successfully pursued his profession. In 1863 he was married to Frances Harrison, and their son is R. W. Morey, who is connected with the Chatham & Lebanon Valley Railroad. Mrs. Morey died in 1888, and he afterward was married to Sarah, daughter of Hitchin Holland, who died in 1896.
MORIN, William A., p. o. New Lebanon, N. Y., was born in New Lebanon, February 24, 1850, son of Lewis and Maria (Gates) Morin. Lewis Morin was a native of Canada, and removed to Columbia county in 1847, and was an engineer for a number of years. He enlisted during the Civil War in Company A, One Hundred and Fifty-ninth New York Volunteers, and was killed in battle at Cedar Creek, Va. His widow died in 1892. William A. Morin was educated in the public schools, and at Fort Edward and Lenoxville. He has been in the drug business for twenty-five years. He was married to Mary, daughter of Erastus Haynes, and they are the parents of one daughter, Mae. Mr. Morin is past master of Unity Lodge, No. 9, F. & A. M., and past high priest of Lebanon Chapter, No. 13, R. A. M., and a member of Consistory No. 1.
MORRELL, George, p. o. Stuyvesant, N. Y., son of Edward and Annie (Lloyd) Morrell, was born July 19, 1843, one of a family of eight children, named as follows: Mary E., deceased wife of Joseph C. Jones; Edward, Jane, wife of Thomas Wiley. George Morrell was educated in the district schools and Ballston (N. Y.) Academy, which latter institution he attended two years. After leaving school he was employed two years as a clerk in a general store in Cohoes. In 1862, at the age of nineteen, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Twenty-eighth N. Y. Volunteer Infantry, and served three years and was discharged as first lieutenant. His record in the military service proves him to have been a faithful, brave and active solider. Returning from the army, he purchased the hotel property at North Chatham, which he conducted for two years. In 1869 he removed to Kinderhook, where he established a general merchandise business, which he conducted for five years, disposing of the same in 1874. He then located in Stuyvesant, where he opened a general store, which was destroyed by the disastrous fire of May 13, 1880, together with his entire stock of goods. He then engaged in the livery business and also dealt in wagons, sleighs, carriages, horses, agricultural implements, etc., up to 1899, when he disposed of his interests and at the present time (1900) is living as a retired farmer on the farm formerly occupied by Jacob G. Sickles -- one of the finest locations and best farms on the river -- half a mile south of Stuyvesant village. Mr. Morrell is considered one of the best business men of the town and since coming to Stuyvesant has won the good will and respect of the entire community. He was married to Kate, daughter of Isaac and Sarah A. (Pickett) Acker of Stuyvesant. She is deceased. Mr. Morrell is a member of Lindenwald Lodge No. 509, F. & A. M., and Kinderhook Chapter No. 264, R. A. M.
Pages 176 & 177:
MOSSMAN, Phillip, of Hudson, was born in the town of Copake on September 21, 1861. His father was Jacob Mossman, a native of Germany, born July 24, 1824, who came to Copake in 1846, where he was engaged in the farming business. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Philip Young, born September 25, 1828, and died October 4, 1877. Phillip Mossman obtained his education in the district school. In 1885 he learned the carpenter's trade. In 1892 he purchased the Worth House livery, which he still conducts. Mr. Mossman is what the world calls self-made man, highly respected by all who know him -- the class who are the bone and sinew of the nation. In 1886 he married Belle, daughter of Jacob Miller; they have one daughter, Ethel B., born February 22, 1893.
MOUL, Henry S., of Hudson, was born in Victor, N. Y., April 7, 1857. He is a great-grandson of John Moul, one of the pioneers of the town of Ghent, Columbia county, N. Y., grandson of Richard Moul, and son of Cornelius Moul, all of Ghent. The latter was a contracting mason, and was married to Lydia Skinner. Henry S. Moul received his education in the public schools. In 1875 he came to Hudson and served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade with James E. McClure, devoting his evenings to the study of architecture, and having charge of his employer's business for five years, which he purchased at the latter's death. In 1896 he disposed of the contracting branch and since has devoted his attention to architecture. The new courthouse erected in Hudson in 1900 was designed by him, as well as some of the finest residences in the city. Mr. Moul has served as supervisor for the Third ward of Hudson for five years, and as chairman of the board one year. He has been steward of the Methodist Episcopal church for fifteen years. In 1880 Mr. Moul was married to Anna M., daughter of Asel Harvey. They are the parents of two sons, James E. and Cornelius M., and two daughters, Rhoda L. and Marion K. In an unobtrusive way Mr. Moul has exercised a lasting influence in Hudson in many ways. In all his public and private life his aim has been to elevate the minds and aspirations of those with whom he has been associated, and to set an example upright living and pure character worthy to be followed by both young and old.