FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
PACKMAN, Charles, E., p. o. Valatie, N. Y., son of Jacob P. and Caroline (Dakin) Packman, was born in the town of Kinderhook, N. Y., January 1, 1857. His father was a lifelong farmer and served his town nine years as assessor. He was the father of two children, the subject of this sketch, and Mary Packman Smith, of Schodack. Mr. Packman died in 1880 and his widow survived until 1896. The district schools and Kinderhook Academy furnished Charles E. Packman his education; he has always been a farmer and had filled the office of assessor for six years; he is a Mason, a member of Lodge No. 362. His wife was Anna, daughter of Albert Demyer, who has borne him two children, Carrie and J. Jay.
PAGE, Frank E., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Albany, N. Y., July 9, 1862, son of Lawrence and Sarah J. (Clarke) Page, whose children were William L., Martha W., and Frank E. Lawrence Page was also a native of Albany, and a foundryman; he died in 1881. Frank E. Page was educated in the schools of Yonkers, N. Y., and for a time was engaged in railroading, followed by a period of service in a foundry in Scranton, Pa. In 1882 he came to Chatham, N. Y. He was village clerk five years, town clerk two terms, justice of the peace four years, and justice of sessions three years. He is a member of Friendship Lodge, No. 95, K. of P. He was married to Esther Reynolds, and they are the parents of Florence M., Emma H., Irene C., Edmond R., and William R. Page.
PALMER, E. G., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in East Chatham, N. Y., January 18, 1840. His father, Obadiah Palmer, was engaged in mercantile and farming business at East Chatham, and was postmaster there for thirty-five years; he was married to Loreta Gifford, and they were the parents of William H. Palmer, who is supervisor of Canaan; Emily F., Catherine L., who died July 5, 1899, and the subject of this notice. Mr. Palmer and his wife are both deceased. E. G. Palmer was educated in the common schools and at the Pennsylvania Institute. At the age of twenty-one years he entered into mercantile business with his father at East Chatham, and still continues to hold a half interest in that establishment. Also, under the firm name of Palmer & Johnson, he engaged in the coal, hay and the millinery business at that place. In 1885 he began dealing in hay and straw, flour and feed, green and evaporated fruits and also engaged in farming at Chatham. On February 22, 1865, he was married to Elvira P., daughter of Lewis and Evelina Frisbee.
Pages 346 & 347:
PALMER, Milton T., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Chatham, January 14, 1856, son of William H. Palmer, a native of New Baltimore, Greene county, N. Y., who was a farmer, married Miranda Smith, and who had the following named children: Charles F., Alvin S. (deceased), Milton T., William H., Jr., (deceased), Edward C. (deceased), Smith A., (deceased), and Ella J., a school teacher in South Schodack. Mr. Palmer died January 14, 1884. Milton T. Palmer was educated in the district schools. He is a farmer, and is also agent for the Osborne agricultural machinery. He was married to Hattie S. Parson, daughter of Hosea B. Parson, of Austerlitz.
PANIGOT, Charles G., of Hudson, was born in New Orleans, La., in May, 1837, son of Pierre, who was a native of France; he became in many ways a leading man in New Orleans, where he spent his active life, returning to France in later years, where he died in 1862. Charles G. Panigot received his education in St. Louis, Mo., and in 1860 took up his residence in Hudson, where, in 1868, he embarked as a contractor and builder, in which occupation he still continues, meeting with appreciation and success. Examples of his skill and the character of his workmanship may be seen in the residences of Col. C. S. Rogers, W. S. Hallenbeck and many other of the finer homes in the city. Mr. Panigot may well be proud of the high reputation he has earned, for he has sought it only through the channels of industry, perseverance and strict probity. In 1868 he was married to Anna M. Phillips. The fruits of this union are three sons and two daughters, namely, Charles W., Julius, Lamont, Mrs. Grace Harding, and Mrs. Mary B. Traver.
Pages 183 & 184:
PARK, the Rev. Charles, of Hudson, is of Scotch and Dutch ancestry in the maternal line, being a descendant of Teunis Jans Covert, who was an elder in the First Reformed Dutch church of Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1690. Charles Park was born in Pittsburg, Pa., December 16, 1862, son of William Park and Harriet Morgan covert. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and was for many years a Presbyterian elder. The Rev. Mr. Park was graduated from Hamilton College, Clinton, N. Y., in 1885. His theological studies were pursued at Union Theological Seminary, and he was graduated therefrom in 1888. His first charge was the Presbyterian church of Astoria, Long Island. In 1898 he came to Hudson as pastor of the Dutch Reformed church of that city. During his residence in Hudson Mr. Park has not only won the respect and esteem of his parishioners, but in all circles of the city where he has become acquainted he is spoken of approvingly and has won the high regard of all. In 1891 he was married to Emeline Ivison Hollister, daughter of John Buel Hollister and Eleanor Crane, of Rutherford, N. J. They are the parents of three daughters: Eleanor Hollister, Katrina and Gratia Buell Park.
PARKER, Byron, of Hudson, N. Y., was born in Coxsackie, N. Y., on August 28, 1830. His father was Jonas Parker, a native of Vermont; he was married to Hannah, daughter of Allen Breed, whose ancestor came to America from England in 1630. Byron Parker secured his education in the public schools, and after leaving school he devoted his attention to river navigation in various capacities until 1865, when he settled in Hudson and established a plumbing, gas and steam-fitting business, which he has since continued. He has been successful in his efforts, and sustains the reputation of an honest, industrious, and in every way valuable citizen. He was a charter member of the Hudson Building and Loan Association. In 1854 he was married to Mary L. Hollenbeck, who has borne him five sons and four daughters, all worthy children of worthy parents. The first Breeds in this country came from England in 1630 with Winthrop and landed in Massachusetts. This family of Breeds are the same whose ancestor owned the land called Breed's Hill (Ebenezer Breed). Allen Breed and father took active part in our American Revolution, Allen rising to rank of lieutenant.
Pages 184 & 185:
PARTON, George, was born in England, in 1812. In 1833 he emigrated to Hudson, where he established himself as a cabinet-maker, and where, in 1834, he was married to Elizabeth, daughter of John and Lois Woodbridge, of Mystic, Conn. Mr. Parton was a man of action, progressive in his ideas and methods, ready to seize and develop opportunities for the betterment of himself and the public welfare, and never backward in lending an assisting hand to any object that met the approval of his convictions. In 1849 he joined the throng of adventurous gold-seekers who that year left home and civilization for the wilds of California; in 1851 he returned to his home, only to go back to the western Eldorado again in 1852, this time remaining three years. In 1855, he returned to Hudson and purchased the bookstore of Charles P. Nash. In this business he continued until his retirement in 1870. During his business life in Hudson he won the respect and confidence of those with whom he had trade relations, and socially none had a larger circle of friends. Unassuming and free from ostentation, he lived a gentle life and left behind him an unsullied record. He died October 26, 1872, and his widow survived him until September 6, 1896. Mr. and Mrs. Parton were the parents of twelve children, six of whom survive: three sons, Arthur and Ernest, both artists of note, and Henry Woodbridge, of Yonkers, N. Y., an artist and designer; and three daughters, Mrs. Joseph Gibbons Hill and Misses Gertrude and Elizabeth Parton.
PATRIE, Thomas A., of Greenport, was born in the town of Livingston, N. Y., July 3, 1845. He is a son of Alexander Patrie, and grandson of Christian Patrie, of French Huguenot ancestry. The latter was one of the early settlers of Livingston, where his son Alexander was born. He married Clarissa, daughter of Thomas Benham, who was a practitioner in medicine in the town of Ashland, Green county, N. Y. He was a farmer all his life. Thomas A. Patrie was educated in private schools in Hudson and was graduated from Rutgers College. He is one of the leading farmers of Greenport, devoting his land and attention chiefly to berries and fruit. In this undertaking he has been remarkably successful, and his skill and industry are subjects of common remark. Withal he is a citizen of estimable and untarnished reputation, benevolent, intelligent and trustworthy. In 1875 he was united in marriage with Emma, daughter of Philip H. and Eliza (Gardner) Lambert. They have two daughters, Misses Grace L. and Emma Clara.
Pages 185 -188:
PAUL, Fulton, was born in Hudson, on the 17th of April, 1841. He was the son of the late Charles Paul, who traced his genealogy to Richard Paul, a Puritan settler who came to this country in 1636. futon Paul came by his rather uncommon first name by being named for his mother, whose maiden name was Catherine Fulton. She died in 1850. After receiving a liberal education in the schools of the city he was sent to Williston Seminary, Easthampton, Mass., where he finally fitted for college, but being threatened with consumption, and by advice of his physician, he started when twenty years of age on an East Indian voyage, and after a trip of seven months landed at Hong King, China, where he remained several years, and returned home very much benefited in health. After attending to business affairs for a year with his father, he went to the front when the Civil War broke out as provisional paymaster for the re-enlisted soldiers then at Harper's Ferry, Va., thence to Cedar Creek. While with the One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Regiment of New York Volunteers there was a delay of orders and he was compelled to remain until just prior to the battle of Winchester, when he, with the other paymasters, were recalled to Washington. In 1865 Mr. Paul was elected alderman of the Third Ward of this city on the Republican ticket, being the youngest alderman ever elected up to that time. In 1870 he was aboard the first train through to California from ocean to ocean in company with the Union Pacific Railway officers and representatives of the Boston board of trade. In 1872 he became connected with the State Department at Albany, and the next year Hon. John A. Dix, then Governor of New York, appointed Mr. Paul Deputy State Treasurer. In 1875 Mr. Paul received from President Grant an appointment as consul to Trinidad, in the West Indies. In 1882 he was transferred by President Arthur as consul to Odessa, in Southern Russia, and so well did he attend to his important duties that in 1884 President Arthur again honored Mr. Paul by appointing him consul-general to Roumania (sic). He remained there until the consolidation of Roumania (sic) into one district with Servia and Greece, when the office of consul-general was abolished. Mr. Paul returned home and resumed the care of his personal affairs, remaining most of the time in New York city. At the time of his retirement he was one of the oldest consular officers in length of service, having served under five Presidents -- Grant, Hayes, Garfield, Arthur and Cleveland. During his lifetime Mr. Paul took many extensive trips to the West and South and made many European and other sea voyages. His career was one of rare activity, varied experience and patriotic service in every position he was called upon to fill. His public spirit was self-sacrificing and his reputation was unblemished. Hudson was proud to class among her native citizens a man of such distinguished and widely-used talents, and his death is generally deplored. During the five years Mr. Paul served as a cemetery commissioner he was untiring in his efforts to give to the city one of the finest cemeteries to be found along the Hudson river, and the new Cedar Park cemetery, which adorns the hillside east of the city proper, attests to what he did, as he laid out, fostered and cared for it, and with a judicious use of the public moneys, more than anyone else made it what it is to-day. He died at his home in Hudson on June 16, 1900.
PAYNE, Richard Clark, eldest son of Horace Payne and Harriet Hall Macy, was born in the city of Hudson, November 26, 1860. His early education was obtained at the famous public school, "Old No. 3," under Professor Wilcox, and later at the Hudson Academy. At the completion of his school life, he entered the employ of his father, who was engaged in the grocery business, but soon resigned to make a business connection with S. C. & G. P. MacArthur, dealers in mill supplies. In this line of trade he is still engaged, at the present time being a member of the firm of E. W. Murphey & Co. In August, 1884, he enlisted in the Twenty-third Separate Company, N. G. N. Y., and has served successively as private, corporal, sergeant, second lieutenant, first lieutenant and captain, which office he holds at the present time. During the Spanish-American War he was in command of Company I, Two Hundred and Third Regiment, New York Volunteers, and was stationed at Camp Black, N. Y., Middletown, Pa., Conewango, Pa., Greenville, S. C. He was mustered out at the latter place on the 25th of March, 1899. Mr. Payne is a member of No. 700, F. & A. M., and is a past eminent commander of Lafayette Commandery, K. T., having been elected in May, 1899.
Pages 188 & 189:
PECK, Horace Robinson, attorney-at-law of Hudson, N. Y., was born in that city on December 9, 1839. He is descended in the ninth generation from William Peck, one of the founders of the New Haven Colony in 1638. Darius Peck, father of Horace R., was born June 5, 1802, in Norwich, Chenango county, N. Y. He was graduated from Hamilton College in 1825, and took up his residence in Hudson, where he read law with Ambrose L. Jordan, and later with William Slosson, of New York city. He was admitted to the bar in 1828, and in 1829 opened an office in Hudson, where he began a practice that extended over a period of more than fifty years. In February, 1833, he was appointed by the Governor and Senate of the State of New York to the office of recorder of the city of Hudson -- then a judicial office -- which he filled until 1843. In the latter year he was appointed judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Columbia county by the Governor and Senate, and in November, 1855, was elected county judge, and re-elected in 1863 and again in 1867. In 1836 he was married to Harriet M., daughter of Horace and Sarah (Robinson) Hudson, of Troy, N. Y. Judge Peck was also for several years superintendent of schools and a master in chancery. Horace R. Peck received his preliminary education in the public schools of Hudson and in Rev. Elbridge Bradbury's private classical school, and was graduated from Hamilton College with the class of 1859. He took up the study of law under his father's instruction and was admitted to the bar in 1863. He has practiced for thirty-seven years in the office opened by his father in 1829. His life record needs no comment here. His standing among his professional brethren and in the community where he has so long resided requires no written support to enhance its high character. On November 14, 1867, Horace R. Peck was married to Anna, daughter of the late Peter Van Deusen, of Greenport, N. Y.; they are the parents of one son, Bayard L. Peck, who is a practicing attorney in New York city, and who graduated from Hamilton College with the class of 1891. Horace R. Peck has two brothers who are lawyers, viz.: John Hudson Peck, of Troy, N. Y., and Willard Peck, of Hudson, N. Y.
PECK, William H., of Ancram, was born in the town of Ancram, on the farm where he now resides, February 10, 1840, son of Hiram and Romelia (Williams) Peck, who were the parents of nine children, namely: Sarah, Edwin, Julia, Herbert, Annie, James, Charles, Mary and William H., all born on the farm where the latter now lives. Hiram Peck was a son of Noah and Eunice Peck, and was a farmer. William H. Peck was educated in the common schools of Ancram and at Claverack Academy. He was associated with his father in farming until the latter's death in 1872, when he purchased the homestead, and at present conducts it as a dairy farm, and also is a dealer in farm products and live stock. Mr. Peck has served as school trustee, and was supervisor in 1889, and is a member of the Lutheran church, which his family attends. In 1872 he was married to Albertie, daughter of Jacob and Jane Wilsey; they have two sons, William W., and Charles W.
Pages 189 & 190:
PECK, Hon. Willard, was born in the city of Hudson, N. Y., where he has always resided, on March 2, 1844. He is a son of Hon. Darius Peck, a sketch of whose career is given with that of his son, Horace R. Peck, in this work. Willard Peck's preparatory education was received in private schools. He was graduated from Hamilton College in 1864, and, following in the footsteps of his father, selected the law for his lifework. He studied law under his father's instruction, and was admitted to the bar in 1867. He has held the offices of police justice, postmaster and school trustee. He made an enviable record as a member of the board of education, where his efforts were zealously exerted in reforming the school system of his native city. In 1888 he became a member of the legal firm of Cadman & Peck, which has been in successful practice since that date, and is to-day recognized as one of the strong legal firms of the county. In 1869 Mr. Peck was married to Mary Langford, daughter of Edward Curran, of Utica, N. Y. Their children are two sons, Philip C., an attorney practicing in New York city, and Darius E., now attending the Albany Law School, both graduates of Yale College, and one daughter, Mary L., Peck, a student at Smith College.
PELLS, Frank E., was born in the town of Copake, on the farm where he now lives, on March 16, 1867, son of Peter and Phoebe Ann (Link) Pells; she a native of Taghkanic, N. Y., and he of Milan, Dutchess county, who had two children, John H. and Frank, both born on the homestead where Frank and his mother reside, which contains 325 acres. Frank received a common school education and was associated with his father until the latter's death, on October 21, 1892, when he purchased the homestead farm. He is an enterprising man and public-spirited; has been school trustee many years, and is now collector; he and his family attend the West Copake Reformed church, of which his mother is a member. February 27, 1895, he was married to Emily, daughter of Cortez and Mary (Conklin) Shutts; they have three children, Eula A., Cortez J., and Martha E., all born on the homestead.
PELLS, John H., of Copake, was born in the town of Copake, N. Y., May 16, 1864, son of Peter and Phoebe Ann (Link) Pells, who had two son, John H. and Frank E. Peter Pells was son of John, and was a native of Dutchess county, where he was connected with cloth manufacturing, and came to Columbia county in 1850. John H. Pells attended the commons schools of Copake, and remained with his parents until he was twenty-four years of age, when he purchased the farm of 200 acres where he now lives and carries on general farming. He is a man of prominence in his town, has held town offices, and in every way is an enterprising and useful citizen, worthy of the esteem in which he is held. In 1886 he was married to Belle, daughter of Ambrose L. and Catherine Jane (Shadic) Tanner; they have one child, Florence B. The family belong to the Reformed church at West Copake.
PETERSON, Benjamin, of Austerlitz, was born in the town of Ghent, March 5, 1837, a son of James B. and Catherine (Van de Carr) Peterson and grandson of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Gaul) Peterson. He received a common school education and has always followed farming. September 1, 1858, he married Gertrude M., daughter of Jacob Rivenburg, and they are the parents of Edward B., born November 21, 1859; Agnes M., born August 24, 1861; Ida C., born on November 17, 1863; Morgan R., born on April 22, 1867, and Mary J., born on May 3, 1877. Mr. Peterson's father took an active interest in politics and was one of the prominent men of his town, holding several important town offices.
PHILIP, Jordan, of Hudson, was born near Mellenville, Columbia county, N. Y., January 2, 1866. His grandfather, James Philip, was an early settler in the town of Claverack, and for him the village of Philmont was named. He was one of the first carpet manufacturers in the country. His father, Jordan Philip, was born in Claverack, and married, first, Emily Alling, and second, Helen Pitcher. He was an agriculturist, and also conducted an extensive insurance business; he died in 1892. Jordan Philip, the subject of this notice, was educated in Hudson, and in 1881 entered the employ of the First National Bank, and is now bookkeeper in that institution, continuing his father's insurance business. Mr. Philip is a descendant of a prominent family of Claverack, who did much in building up the manufactures of the town, and inherits from them those strains of character which raise men above the common level.