FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
SAGENDORPH, Frank J., was born in the town of Ghent on June 23, 1866, on the homestead of his father, William E. Sagendorph, which has been owned in the family through four generations. His mother is Lydia (Miller) Sagendorph, of Coxsackie. The son was fortunate in the enjoyment of opportunity to obtain a liberal education, which his natural tastes and inclination led him to improve to the utmost. After regular attendance at the district school until he was eleven years of age, he entered the old Claverack College and Hudson River Institute, where he completed the classical course in 1882, at the age of fifteen years. In the following year he entered Rutgers College, from which he graduated with the degree of A. B. in 1887. In that educational institution he was one of the most active and enthusiastic members of his class; he was a member of the Peithesophian Society and twice its president. He was appointed junior orator; was class president in 1886, and class prophet on class day program. In his senior year he was made a member of the Phi Beta Kappa society, and graduated with honor and in enjoyment of the respect and warm friendship of his instructors and class. Leaving college Mr. Sagendorph accepted a position as instructor of Latin and Greek in the "Kemper Family School," at Boonville, Mo., where he remained three years, gaining the commendation of the managers of the institution. He continued a persistent student and in 1890 was given the degree of A. M. for special work in pedagogy and the science of teaching. The natural qualifications of all teachers who have attained eminence in their profession are peculiar and somewhat rare; but Professor Sagendorph seems to possess them to a marked degree. This fact is appreciated by those who know him best, as shown by his appointment, in June, 1890, to the responsible post of principal of the high school in Hudson. Here his efforts to elevate the character and improve the efficiency of the institution met with prompt and clearly decided success. Some of his enthusiasm was soon infused into the city authorities and liberal appropriations have been made from time to time to improve school buildings and their equipment. As a result of his work in the Hudson High School, there was a development from a membership of about fifty, with a three years' course of study, a faculty of two teachers and almost no equipment, to a membership of 150, a four years' course admitting to any of the colleges and technical schools, a faculty of five instructors and an equipment above the average high schools in the State. With the city officials at large, with the entire corps of teachers, and with parents and scholars, Professor Sagendorph has made himself respected and loved. In 1896 he was appointed city superintendent of schools, in which position his efforts for the cause of education have had a still broader scope and have been rewarded with a still fuller appreciation of his usefulness as an educator. Mr. Sagendorph is a member of the National Educational Association, of the Superintendents' Council of the State of New York, Associated Academic Principals of the State of New York, first vice-president of the New York State Teachers' Association, and president of the Hudson River Teachers' Association. Professor Sagendorph married, in 1890, Miss Alice Johnson, of Boonville, Mo.
SAGENDORPH, Nelson, of Claverack, was born on the farm now occupied by his widow, January 21, 1831, a son of Adam and Catherine (Leggett) Sagendorph, who had a family of seven children, as follows: Harmon, George, Peter, John, Nelson, Mary Ann and Catherine. Mr. Sagendorph was educated in the public schools and after completing his course took up farming with his father, which he followed for the rest of his life. He assisted his father in clearing the farm his widow now resides on, and upon his father's death the farm became his and his widow is now carrying it on, a farm of 133 acres. On May 17, 1853, Mr. Sagendorph married Helen, daughter of Jacob P. and Maria (Delemater) Ham. Mr. Sagendorph died February 15, 1899.
SAGENDORPH, Wilson.---There is in Claverack an old landmark that is known all through the country as the Brick Tavern, and but few can tell where it derived its name, or when it was built; it was formerly the home of Wilson Sagendorph, who occupied it until his death, which occurred November 6, 1890. Mr. Sagendorph was born July 28, 1836, a son of Jeremiah H. and Ann (New) Sagendorph, and grandson of Harmon S., who built the Brick Tavern in 1812 for his son Jeremiah. He occupied it for seven years, when it was let for a hotel and remained as such until 1856; it was then used by a private family until 1860, when Wilson came and took possession and lived there until his death; since that time it has been occupied by his widow and her family. The farm, consisting of 167 acres, was bought by the grandfather Harmon from the old Van Rensselaer Grant in about 1800, and has always been in the family. October 28, 1860, Mr. Sagendorph married Caroline M. New of Claverack, and they had a family of four children: Elmer J., born April 28, 1861; Marsena, born May 10, 1867; Clarence, born January 4, 1869, and Winfield, born May 31, 1870.
Pages 211 & 212:
SALMON, George P., M. D., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in Richmond, Mass., on November 12, 1832, and died in Hudson, April 11, 1891. His preparatory education was obtained at the high schools of Richmond and Nassau, and his professional studies were pursued at the Berkshire Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1856. He settled for the practice of his profession in New Lebanon, where he remained until 1872, when he removed to Hudson, where he became prominent in his profession. Dr. Salmon was not only a useful member of the medial profession, but was possessed of those attributes which go to make a man of elevated moral character, firm integrity, well-directed industry, and broad charity. All who had the pleasure of knowing him intimately never failed to discover in him elements of character that endeared him to them by ties of respect and esteem, unalloyed by ulterior or selfish motives. His loss was not his family's alone, but was keenly felt by a wide circle of friends and associates. He was the first health officer appointed in Hudson under the State law, and enthusiastically performed his thankless duties. In 1858, he was married to Cynthia S., daughter of Josiah Wait, who survives him.
SAUNDERS, Benjamin, p. o. Claverack, N. Y., was born in the town of Coxsackie, N. Y., April 23, 1841, one of a family of seventeen children (of whom seven survive), of Randall and Ann (Turner) Saunders, he a native of Rhode Island and she of New York State. Benjamin Saunders attended the public schools in his earlier years, and later on acquired much valuable knowledge by judicious study alone. At the same time, which he was storing his mind with useful information, he was learning the details of market gardening, at which he continued in Greene county until 1868, when he removed to Claverack, where he is now engaged in the same business. Mr. Saunders is an industrious, intelligent and worthy citizen, and by his consistent course in life is entitled to the respect and confidence which he received from the community where he dwells. In 1879 he was elected a member of the board of assessors of Claverack, and with the exception of one term has served continuously ever since his first election. He was married on February 13, 1868, to Ann, daughter of Robert H. and Rachel R. (Richmond) Neefus, of Claverack. They have one son, Randall Neefus Saunders, who was born December 26, 1868; since completing his education he has been employed mainly in newspaper work.
Pages 212 & 213:
SCHERMERHORN, Hon. Abraham L., p. o. Muitzeskill, N. Y., was born in Stuyvesant, N. Y., October 22, 1838. He is descended from one of the oldest families of the section. In 1636 three Schermerhorn brothers came from Holland to what is now New York State; Simon settled in New Amsterdam (New York), Jacob in Schodack and Ryer in Schenectady. Abraham L. is a descendant of Jacob, who was the great-great-great-grandfather of the former. Abraham L.'s great-grandfather was named Lucas and spent his life in Schodack. His grandparents were Ryer L. and Lucinda (Van Valkenburgh) Schermerhorn, who were farmers of Schodack. Lucas R. Schermerhorn, father of Abraham L., was born in Schodack in 1804 and was a shoemaker and farmer. In 1830 he sold his property in Schodack and removed with his family to Stuyvesant, where he continued farming during his life. He was a man of much prominence in his town, serving as supervisor in 1847-48 and 1852-53, and also as assessor. His wife was Albertine M., daughter of Philip Schermerhorn, of Schodack, who bore him four children, namely: Philip L., Hettie M., John L. and Abraham L. Mr. Schermerhorn died in 1877. Abraham L. Schermerhorn was educated in the district school and at Kinderhook Academy. He has always followed the vocation of farming, making a specialty of fruit raising and breeding fine stock. Like his father, he has been prominent in public affairs, serving as supervisor of Stuyvesant several years, and in 1881 was elected as representative of his district in the Assembly and re-elected in 1882. He is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Dutch Reformed Church. Fraternally, he is a member of Castleton Lodge, No. 731, F. & A. M., of Kinderhook Chapter, R. A. M., and of the Knights Templar. In all the walks of life Mr. Schermerhorn has a record of industry, integrity and modern enterprise. In 1868 he was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Jeremiah and Attie (Shoefelt) Niver of Kinderhook. They have one daughter, Nellie.
SCOVILL, William H., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in Waterbury, Conn., son of William H. Scovill and Rebecca H., daughter of Hon. Nathan Smith, United States Senator from Connecticut. The family are descendants of John Scovill, who settled in Haddam, Conn., about 1666. William H. Scovill, Jr., was educated in private schools and in Switzerland. In 1863 he was married to Elizabeth, daughter of John L. Whiting, of Kinderhook, and granddaughter of Hon. Robert a. Barnard of Hudson, and in 1871 took up his residence in Hudson. they are the parents of four children -- two sons, W. H. and Edward Washburn, and two daughters, Edith Cornelia and Ruth Althea.
SEIPEL, Henry, p. o. Claverack, N. Y., is a native of Germany, born April 9, 1850. His education was obtained in the schools of his native land. At the age of seventeen he emigrated to the United States, arriving on May 28, 1867, making his home with an uncle at Livingston, with whom he began an apprenticeship at the blacksmithing trade. After two years he went to Johnstown and entered the employ of Daniel Edelman, with whom he remained three years. He then engaged in business for himself in Harlemville, where he worked but one year and returned to Livingston, and was with his uncle, John Krick, until 1879. The latter year he went to Hudson and after two years removed to Claverack, where he has since carried on blacksmithing. He is a substantial, worthy citizen, and served his town as collector in 1889. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum, No. 1, 221. On November 24, 1874, Mr. Seipel was married to Catherine, daughter of Charles and Barbara (Engle) Kline, of Ghent. They have had seven children, as follows: Charles H., John M., Clarence E., George F. (deceased), Florence B., Louisa May and Claude Kline.
SEYMOUR, Ellis H. p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Van Deusenville, Mass., January 29, 1845, son of John and Mercy (Ashley) Seymour. His father was a tailor by trade, and his children were Ellis H., Harvey H., Frances M., Chester J., Herbert M., Edward S., Reuben W., Hattie M., and Louisa H. Ellis H. Seymour was educated in the public schools. For twenty-five years he was employed as an iron molder. He has been chief of police fifteen years, and deputy twelve years, and as an officer and man he stands above reproach.
SEYMOUR, William, is a native of Hudson. His father, George E. Seymour, was a native of Vergennes, Vt., and a graduate of Montreal College. Before coming to Hudson in 1825 he was interested in lake navigation and transportation, later entering mercantile trade. He was married to Julia, daughter of Uriah Roraback, a member of one of the early families of Hudson, and who about 1800 built the house now occupied by the subject of this sketch. William Seymour was educated at the Hudson Academy. In 1862 he entered the service of the Hudson River Bank, and in 1868 resigned his place to accept the appointment of teller in the First National Bank. In 1877 he was elected cashier, which position he since has filled. He was one of the organizers, and for a time president and treasurer, of the Union Knitting Company, of which corporation he is now one of the trustees. Mr. Seymour is too well known to the business world of Hudson to need commendation here. His long connection with financial institutions in Hudson is a higher testimonial to his ability, integrity and financial skill than anything that could be said of him without seeming flattery. As a citizen he has the respect and confidence of all.
SHARP, Solomon, p. o. Stuyvesant Falls, N. Y., was born in Coxsackie, N. Y., January 20, 1836, a son of Henry S. and Angelica (Whitbeck) Sharp, whose other children were Henry S., of Michigan; Andrew, Catherine, wife of Tunis Link, formerly of Ghent, and now of Michigan, and Mary J., wife of John A. Van Bramer. Solomon Sharp is one of the largest farmers in Columbia county, having under his control 500 acres of land. He has been quite active in public matters, serving the town of Ghent on the board of supervisors for four years, and has also been assessor five years and town auditor. He is a man of unimpeachable character, a progressive agriculturist and in every way a valuable citizen. In 1855 he was married to Christiana, daughter of Bartholomew Van Aukenburgh. They have two children, Angelica (Mrs. Alvin Moore), and Jennie (Mrs. Charles C. New).
SHAW, William, p. o. Claverack, N. Y., was born in Liverpool, England, March 3, 1841. His parents, John and Mary (Taylor) Shaw, both died when he was a small child, and at the age of three years he was sent by an uncle to this country, and placed in the care of another uncle, James Curtis. He made the voyage unattended, in the care of the captain of the sailing vessel "Henry Clay," and landed in New York in 1844. There he attended the public schools until he reached the age of twelve years, when he was put to work under the direction of his uncle on the docks in New York as a stevedore. At this employment he continued until he was eighteen years old, when he joined his uncle in the partnership of Curtis & Shaw, stevedores. In 1873 Mr. Curtis died, and the business which he had assisted in building up passed into his hands. He continued it until April 8, 1885, when he removed to a farm in Claverack, which he had purchased some years before. Mr. Shaw, by industry, prudence, and hard labor, has made a success of life, and, in view of the circumstances under which he began, he may be called emphatically a self-made man. He was married on December 14, 1876, to Ida Baker, a daughter of Colvin and Rachel Ann (Philip) Baker. They have had a family of ten children, of whom six survive at this time. Mr. Shaw is a member of Hudson Lodge No. 147, I. O. O. F.
Pages 215 & 216:
SHEFFER, Henry.---Among the largest fruit growers of New York State is Henry Sheffer, who was born on the Sheffer homestead in the town of Germantown, March 8, 1847, a son of Henry and Caroline (Snyder) Sheffer, who were the parents of thirteen children. Mr. Sheffer was educated in the common schools of the town of Germantown and when fifteen years of age started in life for himself as a boatman on the Hudson River and later as a seafaring man. He was visited many of the foreign countries, and has made a trip around the world, during which time he served in the United States Navy. His life was one of adventure and sight-seeing until 1884, when he returned to Germantown, where he has since lived and devoted his time and energy to fruit growing. He was associated with his father in the fruit growing while he was away. His father died in 1873 and in 1892 his estate was divided between the heirs, and Henry received the farm where he now resides, which consists of about twenty-five acres, on which he raises yearly about 5,000 barrels of pears, 2,200 pounds of currants, 1, 000 bushels of raspberries and apples and grapes. On September 11, 1894, Mr. Sheffer married Annie Gertrude, daughter of Thomas Ash of Boston, Mass.; they have one daughter, Margerie Helen Sheffer. Mr. Sheffer is a public spirited man, interested in town and county affairs, also school and educational work, and is a contributor and supporting member of the church.
SHEFFER, Samuel S., was born on the farm where he now resides, March 14, 1841, a son of Henry and Caroline (Snyder) Sheffer, who had thirteen children, as follows: Orin, George, Mary Jane, Wesley, Lucy, Samuel, Henry, Harriet, Lydia, and two who died in infancy, all born on the farm where Samuel now lives. Henry Sheffer was a son of John and Sarah (Bogardus) Sheffer, whose children were Robert, Henry, Lettie, Sarah and Mary. Samuel S. Sheffer was educated in the common schools and when about sixteen yeas of age he started in life for himself as a mechanical engineer on a steamship running between New Orleans, Galveston, and New York, which he followed for twenty-two years. During the Rebellion he served as an engineer on a government transport three and one-half years. In 1876 he returned to the town of Germantown, where he was associated with his father in farming on the old homestead. His father died in 1878 and he purchased the homestead from the heirs, where he has since lived, and carries on farming, making a specialty of fruit growing. He is interested in the well drilling business, being one of the firm of Sheffer & Snyder, who operate in New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut. On September 5, 1878, Mr. Sheffer married Penelope, daughter of William Green of Rhode Island, and they have two children: Mary H. and Caroline S. Mr. Sheffer takes an active interest in town and county affairs and was assessor four years, highway commissioner three years, justice of the peace four years. He is active in school and educational work, and is a contributing and supporting member of different churches.
SHELDON, Benjamin F., of Livingston, N. Y., was born in the town of Taghkanic, N. Y., July 29, 1836, son of Peter and Eliza (Kelts) Sheldon, who were the parents of fourteen children, as follows: Abraham, Mary, Jane, Zuba, Catherine, Benjamin F., Caroline (deceased), Amy (deceased), Isaac (deceased), Friend (deceased), Sarah, Philip (deceased), Elihu, Jacob and Fannie, wife of Jordan Miller, all born in the town of Taghkanic. Peter Sheldon was a native of Taghkanic and a son of Friend, who had children: Job, Elihu, Benjamin, Isaac, Whiting, Henry, Fannie, Sylva, Manda, Phoebe, and Peter, all natives of Columbia county. Benjamin F. Sheldon was educated in the common schools of Taghkanic, and when about fourteen years of age began his life work as a farm laborer, which occupation he followed until he was twenty-two, when he purchased the farm in the town of Taghkanic where he now lives and follows general farming and sheep raising; he has 190 acres. In 1868 he was married to Matilda, daughter of Milton and Lucinda Bryant, and are the parents of three children: Lulu, wife of Fred C. Decker; Edgar, married to Jennie Coons; Horton, married to Nellie Stickles; all natives of the county. Mr. Sheldon has been highway commissioner, is school trustee at the present time and trustee of the Lutheran church at Churchtown.
SHELDON, Wilson, of Hillsdale, was born in Copake, August 16, 1841. His father, Henry Sheldon, was born in Connecticut, July 27, 1812, and was engaged in farming. In 1818 he came to Copake and settled on the farm south of the village known as the Empire Stock Farm. Henry Sheldon married Salina Cook in 1835, who bore him children as follows: Eveline, Collins, Wilson, Allen, Minnie, Otis, Frank Fanny, and George W. Mr. Sheldon died November 27, 1865, and his widow May 13, 1891. Wilson Sheldon was educated in the public schools and taught school for twenty-six years. In 1880 he came to Hillsdale and engaged in farming. On July 7, 1877, Mr. Sheldon married Helen, daughter of Elisha Moore, of Ancram; they have one daughter, Myrtle, born August 7, 1879.
Pages 217 & 218:
SHEPARD, Robert Mellen, of Hudson, N. Y., was born May 17, 1851, in New Orleans, La., where his father, Robert Blanchard Shepard, was in mercantile trade. In 1853 the latter removed to Hudson, and became a prominent factor in financial circles, where he was recognized as a sagacious yet conservative financier. For many years he filled the presidency of the First National Bank of Hudson. He was married to Mary Warren Mellen. Robert M. Shepard secured his education at the Hudson Academy, and his introduction to business life was in the employ of Stephen B. Miller in a book store. He spend three years in Albany, and, returning to Hudson, established his present business, in which he has succeeded in building up a substantial trade. In 1882 Mr. Shepard was married to Mary Van Kleeck, who has borne him three sons and one daughter, viz.: Mary Warren, William V. K., Robert B., Raymond D.
SHOOK, John M., of Hudson, was born in the town of Ancram, N. Y., on July 28, 1860, the son of Jacob J. and Josephine (Lee) Shook. Jacob J. was the son of a pioneer of Ancram and was engaged through life at farming and school teaching, and in various ways was a prominent man in his town. He died in 1874. John M. Shook received his education in the common schools and until 1890 he was engaged in farming. In that year he came to Hudson and embarked in the mercantile trade. In 1895 he organized the firm of Shook & Roraback, and are acknowledged as the leading grocers of the city. Mr. Shook is a deacon in the Lutheran church and president of its Sunday-school, and is one of the trustees of the Y. M. C. A. During the ten years that Mr. Shook has been in business in Hudson he has established a reputation of honesty, industry and good citizenship. He is an earnest Christian man, and practices his Christianity in his dealings with the world, upholding a high moral standard and exercising charity and conscientiousness in his "daily walk and conversation." In his business affairs he is prompt, obliging and strictly just, and has the confidence in a large degree of those with whom he has dealings.
SHUFELT, Almond, of Copake, was born in the town of Copake, N. Y., near the village of Craryville, July 21, 1837, son of Jacob and Hannah (Niver) Shufelt, who had nine children, as follows: Almond, Edward, Emily, Sidney, Henrietta, Edith, Annieletta, and two who died in infancy. Jacob Shufelt was a son of Jeremiah and Hannah Shufelt, and was a farmer. When Almond was about one year old his parents removed to the town of Livingston, where they lived about five years, returning thence to Copake, where Almond received his education. He remained with his father until the latter's death in 1854, and was then associated with his mother until 1886, when he purchased the homestead and follows dairy and stock farming. Mr. Shufelt has been town clerk two terms, assessor two terms, inspector one term, and was supervisor in 1889, 1899 and 1900; has served as school trustee, clerk, etc. In 1858 he was married to Catherine M., daughter of Peleg P. and Betsey (Miller) Niver, and they have three children: James, who married Frances Tripp: Frank and Jay, who married Libbie Vosburgh; they have two children, May and Willard.
SHUFELT, George H., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Ghent, N. Y., in 1828. He is a son of Cornelius Shufelt, also born in Ghent, a farmer. The latter served in the War of 1812, was a captain in the militia, and commissioner of highways. His wife was Margaret Searing, who bore him the following named children: Harriet M., Mary, Delia, A. (deceased in 1897), George H., Elizabeth J., Margaret B., Catherine A., Susan M., and Julia A. Mr. Shufelt died in 1878, and Mrs. Shufelt in 1867. Henry Shufelt, father of Cornelius and grandfather of George H., was born in Holland, and came to this country with his parents, who settled in Dutchess county, and when a boy was pressed on Board an English man of war, where he was forced to serve for a time before he escaped. After his attendance a the common schools, George H. Shufelt was engaged in farming for seven years, was in Chicago for a time, and returned and engaged in milling. In 1861 he settled in Chatham village, and in 1870 engaged in the insurance and real estate business, and still continues the same. He was a justice of the peace in Ghent for twenty years, and was police justice of the village of Chatham sixteen years, recorder two years, and postmaster five years. He has given eminent satisfaction in all these positions. He is a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 98, F. & A. M. He married Caroline Van Valkenburgh of Ghent. They have had two children, James V., who died in 1880, and Cornelius, born in 1869.
SHUMWAY, John B., p. o. Lebanon Springs, N. Y., was born in Lebanon Springs, November 5, 1822, son of Paul and Mercy (Gates) Shumway. Paul Shumway was also a native of Lebanon Springs, and was a carpenter by trade. He died in 1849. John B. Shumway was educated in the public schools, and has always been employed as a carpenter and contractor. He has been twice married. His first wife was Jane Rich, who died, leaving one son, Charles T. (sic) His second wife was Caroline E. Wolcott, born October 13, 1831, and daughter of Thomas Wolcott. They had children: Clara E., Julia E., George T. and Mabel J. E. Mrs. Caroline Shumway died December 9, 1884. [see below]
Pages 383 & 384.:
SHUMWAY, John B., was born at Lebanon Springs, November 5, 1822, and has always resided at that place. He was educated at the public school, and until within three years of this writing has been employed as a carpenter and contractor. At the age of fifty he united with the Baptist church, with which he has ever since been identified, officiating as deacon for the last seventeen years. Though never actively engaged in politics, Mr. Shumway has always been in sympathy with the Republican party since its formation. The subject of our sketch has been twice married. His first wife, Jane M. Rich, to whom he was married October 13, 1850, was born April 18, 1829, and died May 29, 1853. In 1856 he married Mrs. Caroline Elizabeth Williams, daughter of Thomas Eliza (Gillet) Wolcott, who was born in Litchfield, Pa., October 13, 1831, and died December 9, 1884. Mr. Shumway has had born to him five children; by his firs wife, one son, Charles Frederick, born May 30, 1852, and married to Olive R. Goodrich, of New Lebanon, June 23, 1880; he died April 9, 1889, leaving two children: Jennie Ethel, born April 30, 1882; and Cora Orcelia, born August 18, 1884, died March 25, 1895; and by his second wife, three daughters and one son, viz.: Clara Eliza, born August 13, 1862; Julia Edith, born August 21, 1870; George Thomas, born July 26, 1874, and Mabel Jane Elizabeth, born January 25, 1878. George Thomas was married June 27, 1900, to Julia Marjorie Stillman, of Pittsfield, Mass., and resides at Great Barrington, Mass. John B., son of Paul, of Lebanon Springs, born 1781, died 1849 (married, 1804, Mercy Gates); son of Abner, of Lebanon Springs, born 1748, came from Oxford, Mass.; son of Oliver, of Lebanon Springs, born 1724 (married Elizabeth Holman); son of Oliver, of Oxford, born 1701 (married, 1724, Sarah Pratt); son of Peter, of Oxford, born 1678 (married Maria Smith); son of Peter Shumway. Peter Shumway, the ancestor of the above-mentioned six generations, and his wife, Frances, were settled at Oxford, Mass. He was born about 1635, and, serving in the Indian War, was present at the taking of Fort Narraganset, 1675. He was of Huguenot descent, and the original names was probably Chamois, a family of this name being mentioned in a list of fugitives form the neighborhood of Saint Maixent, France, before the revocation of the Edict of Nantes.
SHUPHELT, Rollo E. p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Chatham, April 2, 1860. His father was Sylvester Shuphelt, a native of Columbia county, and a farmer. He was married to Phoebe Northrup, and they had the following named children: Euphemia, Orpha (deceased), Eva (deceased), Rollo E., and Cora (deceased). Mr. Shuphelt died in August, 1865. R. E. Shuphelt began his education in private schools and completed it at the Hudson River Institute at Claverack. After leaving school he spent a time in Boston, and returned to Chatham and engaged in fruit culture; he is now conducting extensive greenhouses, devoted specially to the production of violets and carnations for the wholesale trade. He is a member of the L. W. W., and local consul of the body.
SHUTTS, Cortz, was born in the town of Claverack, July 2, 1833, son of John (died January, 1873) and Eleanor (died April, 1875) (Van Deusen) Shutts, who were the parents of Josephus, Mary (deceased), Sophia, Garner, Alfred (died in 1867), Chester, Jane Ann (died in May, 1900), and Cortez. Cortez Shutts received a common school education, after which he engaged in farming, still following that vocation. Mr. Shutts married Mary, daughter of Jacob Conklin, who bore him eight children: Conklin (died August, 1863), Lester, Carrie, Emily, Altie, May, Edith, and Freddie (died February, 1876).
SHUTTS, Samuel, of Livingston, N. Y., was born in the town of Greenport, N. Y., a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Sisson) Shutts, whose children were John (deceased), Maria (deceased), Peter, Walter, Elizabeth, Stephen H., Samuel and Joanna, wife of Joseph Miller, all natives of Columbia county. Samuel Shutts was born March 19, 1828. His early life was spent on the farm and attending the district schools. Upon attaining his majority he and a brother operated the homestead farm for a year, and for the next four years continued the same employment for his father, when he purchased it and occupied it until 1866, when he bought the place where he now lives. In 1863 he was married to Louisa Hartman, who died, survived by one daughter, Mary, wife of Peter W. Moore. He was married, second to Annie, daughter of John G. Rossman; they had one son, Henry, deceased. Samuel Shutts has been active in town affairs, having been supervisor two terms, assessor nine years, superintendent of the poor three years, and justice of the peace twelve years. He is a member of Widow's Son Lodge, No. 335, F. & A. M., and a member of the Dutch Reformed church at Livingston.
SHUTTS, Walter, p. o. Livingston, N. Y., was born April 13, 1820, son of Henry and Catherine (Sisson) Shutts, whose children were John, Peter, Walter, Samuel, Johannah, wife of Joseph Miller, and Stephen, all natives of Columbia county. Walter Shutts was reared on a farm, and attended the common schools. In 1842 he began his business life as a farmer. At the age of twenty-two he was married to Delia, daughter of Michael Miller; they have four children: Joseph, Stephen, Margaret, wife of Chester Miller, and Reuben M. Mr. Shutts has represented his town on the board of supervisors two terms, and was member of Assembly in 1865. He is a member of the Dutch Reformed Church, and formerly took an active part in educational measures.
SILVERNAIL, Philip, was born in the town of Copake, N. Y., June 16, 1857, son of Spencer and Betsey (Silvernail) Silvernail, who had two children: Abbie, wife of Charles Roberts, and Philip. The latter was educated in the common schools of his native town, and was associated with his father in framing until the death of the latter in 1889 at the age of sixty-eight. Since that date he has managed the homestead farm, which was formerly owned by his mother's father, Philip C. Silvernail. His mother resides with him. When he was twenty-two years of age he was married to Christiana, daughter of James and Jennette (Young) Morgan. They have two children: Jennette and Charles.
Pages 219 & 220:
SINCLAIR, John B., of Chatham, N. Y., was born in Freehold, Greene county, N. Y., in February, 1848, a son of John and Ann Jane (Buchanan) Sinclair. The father was a native of England, and was a woolen manufacturer. He died in 1860, and was survived by his widow until 1886. John B. Sinclair, after attending the common schools, for a time was engaged in the woolen trade, following which, in 1880, he embarked in hotel keeping, having successfully managed the Nassau House, at Nassau, N. Y., for several years, and also the Winsor Hotel and opera house at Seymour, Conn. In 1896 he came to Chatham, and became proprietor of the Chatham House, which, under his management, is a credit to the village and guaranty of its proprietor's ability as an innkeeper. His house is well and favorably known in the eastern tier of counties.