FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
SMITH, Abram, of Gallatin, was born in the central part of the town of Gallatin, June 16, 1853, son of Wilson and Catherine (Smith) Smith, who had eight children: Linus R., Abram, Edwin, Ezbon A., George W., William A., Ellsworth J. and Hattie C., wife of Carl Tripp, and three deceased: Frederick, Sarah Maria and Isaac, all born in the town of Gallatin. Abram Smith was educated in the schools of Gallatin, and when fifteen years of age started in life for himself as a farm laborer, working on a farm summers and attending school winters. He taught school for many terms and in March, 1875, entered the Albany Normal School, from which he was graduated on June 28, 1877, with honors, being among the twelve highest in his class who were selected to take part in the commencement exercises. He has always taken an active part in town and county affairs and is at the present time school commissioner of the first district of Columbia county. He is a contributing and supporting member of the Gallatin Reformed church, and takes an interest in all public spirited enterprises.
SMITH, Alexander, p. o. Lebanon Springs, N. Y., was born in Hancock, Mass., December 16, 1828, son of Enos and Charlotte (Shumway) Smith, whose children were Jane, Maria, Angeline, Louisa, Lydia, and Alexander. Enos Smith was a native of Hancock, Mass., was a farmer, and died in 1870, and his wife in 1868. Alexander Smith, after securing his education in the common schools, engaged in carpentering. He came to New Lebanon, where he has since been a farmer. He was married to Martha, daughter of Elijah Bagg and Esther (Wadhams) Bagg.
Pages 220 & 221:
SMITH, Eugene D., of Hudson, was born in Freehold, Greene county, N. Y., September 4, 1841. He is descended from Daniel Smith, a native of Long Island, who was one of the pioneers of Greene county. His father was Charles L. Smith, who was of the third generation of farmers in the family in Greene county. Eugene D. Smith was educated in the district and select schools and in Hudson city. In 1860 he began his business life in the mercantile trade in Hudson, which he left in 1864 to become bookkeeper in the National Hudson River Bank, in which capacity he was employed twenty-six years. In 1886 he established his present insurance and real estate business, for which his long banking experience eminently fitted him, and in which he has won merited success. He has served as recorder, and for thirty years has been the secretary of St. John's Lutheran Sunday-school, and trustee and secretary of the church board. For thirty years he has been a leading member of the Odd Fellows' fraternity in this county. In 1866 he was married to Kate, adopted daughter of John Friss. They have one son, Clifford Lyle, and three daughters, Mary Agnes, Edith L. and Katherine E.
SMITH, H. Hadley, M. D., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in Salisbury, Conn., on August 18, 1848, son of Lyman A. Smith, a carriage maker. Dr. Smith secured his preliminary education at the Pittsfield and Canaan high schools. He studied medicine with Dr. Richard Beebe, and in the medical colleges of Burlington and Albany, graduating from the latter in 1874. He practiced ten years in Sheffield. In 1884 he went aboard, continuing his studies in London, Berlin, and Vienna. In 1886 he settled in Hudson to practice his profession, making a specialty of throat, lung and eye diseases. He has built up a successful and lucrative practice, and has won not only the esteem of his professional brethren, but is held in high regard as a man of strong common sense and progressive ideas by his townsmen at large. In 1875 he was married to J. Luella Dowd.
Pages 221 & 222:
SMITH, H. Lyle, M. D., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in New York city, June 28, 1843. His father, Simeon P. Smith, was a native of Connecticut and a prominent merchant of New York city; he married Eliza Van Ness, daughter of Henry Lyle, a member of one of the oldest and most distinguished families in the State. Dr. Smith pursued a course of preparatory study at Easthampton, Mass., and entered Williams College in 1860. Having determined to adopt the medical profession as his life's work, he began study in Hudson in 1861, to which city his mother had removed upon the death of his father in 1848. He matriculated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York city, receiving his diploma in 1864. During the interval between the courses of medical lectures in 1863 and that of 1864, Dr. Smith was actively employed under the auspices of the sanitary commission in rendering medical and surgical aid to those of our troops who were sacrificing their lives in the malaria of the Peninsula. Subsequently he was appointed resident physician and surgeon at Bellevue Hospital, serving there and in the hospitals on Blackwell's Island during a period of two years. In 1867 he settled in Hudson and began practice, soon taking a position in the front rank of the profession. He was twice elected president of the Columbia Count Medical Society (1867 and 1892), and served as delegate from that society to the New York State Medical Society, of which he is now a permanent member, and at the time of the organization of the New York State Medical Association was an original member. The confidence of his fellow citizens in his professional ability was shown in his being elected county physician, and for several years he held the position of health officer of the city, filling it with marked efficiency. Dr. Smith's professional experience in the great New York hospitals and with the army, as before noticed, gave him an education equipment of exceptional character, and enabled him to advance rapidly and surely to a high station as a practitioner. His ideals of citizenship are lofty and to them he has given close adherence. Dr. Smith is, and always has been, a persistent reader and student. He has written voluminously for the medical press and public prints., his literary productions commanding respect among intelligent readers. He has twice visited Europe and traveled among the important capitals of other nations, enriching his store of knowledge by study and observation. One result of his first European journey was the writing and final publication of a rather unique book ("Mary and I Go to Europe"), detailing in a humorous manner the story of the trip. The manuscript of this work was donated by him to the Hendrick Hudson Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution, and constituted the foundation step toward the establishment of the present beautiful home of the chapter in Hudson and of a free library, as elsewhere described in these pages. In the social, professional and business life of Hudson, Dr. Smith now occupies an enviable position.
Pages 358 & 359:
SMITH, John L., of Taghkanic, was born on the farm where he now resides in the town of Taghkanic, January 12, 1837, son of Killian and Polly (Lampman) Smith, who had five children, as follows: Catherine, Charity, Hannah, Maria and John L., all born on the homestead where John L. now resides. Killian was a son of Adam K. and Charity (Dinehart) Smith, who had three children: Jacob, Killian, and Hannah. Jacob had one son, Jacob. Adam K. Smith was a son of John, who was of German descent and was the first of the family to come to Columbia county. He took up the farm now occupied by John L., which has been in possession of the family up to the present time. John L. Smith was educated in the schools of Taghkanic and Claverack Academy. He was associated with his father on the home farm until the latter's death in 1881, at the age of eighty-two years, when he came into possession of the homestead, which contains 260 acres; he has added more to the farm and now carries on general farming on a farm of 460 acres. In 1864 Mr. Smith married Annie, daughter of Edward and Hannah Culver; they have two children: Killian, who married Grace, daughter of Daniel Van Deusen; they have two children, John L. and Russell; and Annie, wife of Lewis Smith; they have two children, Lewis, Jr., and Thelma. The family are liberal contributing and supporting members to the different denominations.
SMITH, Lester S. and Jesse, of Ancram.---Morris Smith was born in the town of Ancram, N. Y.; he was married to Elizabeth, daughter of David H. Lown, of Copake, N. Y., and they had three children: Lester S., Jesse, and Mary, who became the wife of William Yates. Morris Smith was the son of Abram and Polly Smith, who had the following named children: William H., Milton, Edward, Jennie, wife of John King; Morris, Polly and Eliza Ann, wife of John Washburn -- all born in the town of Ancram and farmers. Lester S. and Jesse Smith were educated in the common schools of Ancram, and were associated with their father until 1888, when they came into possession of the farm of 154 acres where they now live. On November 5, 1899, Jesse was married to Annie, daughter of Philip Berger. Lester S. is unmarried. They a public spirited and worthy citizens.
SMITH, Lewis, p. o. North Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Chatham, N. Y., December 25, 1832. His father was John A. Smith, born August 31, 1801, who came to Chatham about 1827 and followed the occupation of farming; he was married to Mary Smith, October 21, 1824 (born April 14, 1799), who bore him the following children: Abraham, Henry and Catherine (deceased), Christina and Lewis. Mr. John A. Smith, died May 31, 1865, and his wife May 13, 1881. Lewis Smith was educated in the common schools, and has always been a farmer. His wife was Elizabeth A. Pulver (born June 18, 1833), who died May 12, 1900, survived by one son, George L. (born May 14, 1862), who was married to Mary A. Skinkle, November 6, 1884 (born September 2, 1862), who died January 8, 1900, leaving two children, Elmer G., born November 19, 1885, and Florence E., born April 5, 1893.
Pages 224 & 225:
SMITH, Sanford W., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Kinderhook, N. Y., August 19, 1869. His father was Henry Smith, a native of Chatham, and a carpenter and millwright and later a merchant in Chatham. His wife was Rachel Shaw, and, beside the subject of this sketch, their children were Ellen C., Mary L., Robert H., Mona, and Jennie, the latter two of whom died in infancy. Henry Smith died in 1895. Sanford W. Smith received his preparatory education in the district schools and at Chatham High School, and pursued his legal studies at the Cornell University Law School. He was admitted to the bar in 1890, and since then has been in practice in Chatham. For four years he was town clerk of Chatham, and in 1895 served as clerk for the judiciary committee of the State Assembly; was deputy clerk of the Assembly in 1896, and assistant journal clerk in 1898-1900. At the general election held in November, 1900, he was elected member of Assembly for Columbia county. He is well known as a prominent Mason. He became a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 98, in 1893, and was master thereof in 1898-99; district deputy grand master for the fourteenth district of the State in 1899-1900; is a member of the Scottish Rite bodies at Albany, having taken the thirty-second degree at the Albany Sovereign Consistory, and is a member of Cyprus Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. of Albany. He is also a member of Friendship Lodge, No. 95, Knights of Pythias, of Chatham, and during the years 1898-99 was deputy grand chancellor for the twenty-fourth district of the State. He is at present a member of the law firm of Gardenier & Smith. He was married to Maude P., daughter of Albert G. Harding. They have two daughters, Doris H. and Helen Mary.
SMITH, Staunton B., p. o. East Chatham, N. Y., was born in Zumbrota, Goodhue county, Minn., February 5, 1862. He is a son of Jesse H. Smith, who, before he removed West, was one of Hudson's representative men, a teacher of many years' experience. In 1862 he enlisted form Minnesota and served till the close of the Civil War as second lieutenant; his wife was Maria Buckbee; he died at Cape Girardeau, Mo., August 14, 1866. Staunton B. Smith was educated in the public schools, at Claverack Academy, and in 1888 was graduated from the New Paltz State Normal School. He is now principal of the East Chatham graded school, where he has been successfully engaged for the past twelve years. In 1889 he was united in marriage with Katharine Du Bois, daughter of Abner Du Bois, who is descended from the original Huguenot settlers of New Paltz, N. Y.; she is a graduate of the New Paltz Normal School class of 1888. They have three children: Franklin D. B., Jesse B. and Donald E.
Pages 359 & 360:
SMITH, Ward C., was born in the town of Ancram, N. Y., August 5, 1853, son of John M. and Betsey (Tanner) Smith (the latter a daughter of General Tanner), who were the parents of four children, namely: Mary, wife of Charles Cook; Sarah, wife of Lewis M. Hoysradt; William N. and Ward C., all born in Ancram. John M. Smith was a native of Ancram, a son of Nicholas and Polly (McArthur) Smith, and a prominent member and worker of the Presbyterian church of Ancram Lead Mines. Ward C. Smith was educated in the common schools of Ancram and at Amenia Seminary. When twenty-two years of age he began life for himself on the farm where he now lives, which he rented and at the death of his father in 1895 came into possession of it. He makes a specialty of dairying and also is a dealer in flour and feed, and buys hay, straw, apples and other farm products for shipment. He was formerly interested in the ice business. He is an elder in the Presbyterian church at Ancram Lead Mines, and is interested in the educational affairs of his town. When twenty-five years of age he was married to Elsie, daughter of William H. and Maryette (Rhoda) Tripp; they have one son, Allen C., who is now attending school at Pine Plains.
SMITH, Webster, was born August 23, 1845, a son of Robert and Sally C. (Rockefeller) Smith. He received his early education in the public schools of his native town and the Hudson River Institute. He assisted in the work on the farm and stayed at home until nineteen years of age, when he went to New York and attended the Cooper Institute for a year. On his return home he located in Philmont and learned the machinist's trade in the shop of Harder & Ellsworth, and in 1873 engaged in business for himself in the same location he now occupies. In March, 1867, Mr. Smith married Sarah J. Mead, daughter of Richard and Catherine (Stupplebeen) Mead; they have three children: Luella, born in January, 1868; Richard S., born in August, 1869, and Mineola, born in April, 1872. Luella has married twice, first, to Frank J. Harder, who died in a little over a year after their marriage, and second, to Dr. Richard A. Woodruff.
Pages 225 & 226;
SMITH, William, p. o. Mellenville, N. Y., was born in the town of Ghent, on what is known as the post road, September 28, 1820, a son of Leonard and Mary (Potts) Smith, who had six children, as follows: Robert, Christiana, Catherine, Henry, William and Maria, all born in the town of Ghent. In his early life Leonard worked different farms on the post road on shares, and in 1832 purchased the farm where William now resides, where he carried on general farming until his death in 1842. William assisted his father on the farm summers and attended the schools in winter. After his father's death he and his brother Henry purchased the estate from the heirs and worked the farm in partnership until 1887, when William purchased his brother's interest, and has since carried on general farming, with the assistance of his son. In June, 1848, Mr. Smith married Sarah, daughter of William Fellows. Mrs. Smith died December 29, 1886. They had two children: Henrietta (deceased), who married Homer Miller, and Wilber, who married Lida, daughter of Alfred R. Westfall. They have one daughter, Louise. Mr. Smith is one of the largest landowners in the county, being the owner of 526 acres of land. He is a public-spirited man, and a man who is looked up to by all his friends.
SMITH, William, of Hillsdale, was born in the town of Taghkanic, September 26, 1862, son of Christian (born in Hamburgh, Germany) and Wilhelmina Smith, who had children as follows: Mamie, Hannah, William, Catherine, and Lewis. In 1888 William Smith came to Hillsdale, where he is engaged in farming and in the hay and straw business. Mr. Smith married Mary E. Shook, who bore him John, Ola, Clara, and Etta.
SMITH, William N., was born in the town of Ancram, N. Y., March 5, 1851, son of John M. and Betsey (Tanner) Smith, who were the parents of four children: Sarah, wife of Lewis M. Hoysradt; William N., Ward C., and Mary, wife of Charles H. Cook, all natives of Ancram. John M. Smith was born in Ancram, the son of Nicholas and Polly (McArthur) Smith, and through life was a farmer. William N. Smith was educated in the common schools of Ancram, and was associated with his father in farming until the death of the latter in 1895, when he came into possession of the farm where he now resides and follows general farming. On November 18, 1874, he was married to Alice, daughter of William Howland; they had one child, Willard, who was married to Mary, daughter of William Dean, and Clara Belle, a daughter by second marriage with Anna Porter. Mr. Smith is an active member of the Presbyterian church at Ancram Lead Mines, of which he is at present, and has been for many years, a trustee.
SMOCK, Prof. John Conover, of Hudson, was born in Holmdel, N. J., September 21, 1842, a son of Isaac G., who was a native of Somerset county, N. J. The family settled in Monmouth county in 1712. Prof. Smock was graduated from Rutgers College in 1862, and has devoted his life to geological studies in the State of New Jersey, holding the position of State Geologist for the past ten years. From 1885 to 1890 he was assistant-in-charge of the State Museum under Prof. James Hall, being a resident of Hudson from 1886 to 1890. In 1890 he removed to New Jersey, and in 1897 chose Hudson as his summer home. Prof. Smock is the author of several works on the geology of New Jersey.
Pages 226 & 227:
SNYDER, Brogan C., was born in the town of Germantown, November 14, 1855, a son of Chester and Belinda (Hover) Snyder, and grandson of Samuel and Lydia Bissel Snyder, who had fourteen children, as follows: Chauncey, George, Robert, Walter, Margaret, Genette, Harriet, Caroline, Mary, Chester, Fannie, Catherine and two who died in infancy. Samuel Snyder was a son of Samuel and Regina (Conrad) Snyder, he a soldier of the War of 1812 and a son of Conrad, son of Hendrick, who was a resident of Germantown as early as 1726. Chester Snyder made a specialty of fruit-growing for foreign countries and New York market; was also a contractor, building docks along the Hudson river and ice and cold-storage houses. Brogan C. Snyder was associated with his father until his father's death in 1885, when he assumed complete charge of the home farm. September 14, 1880, Mr. Snyder married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Barringer. Mr. Snyder is active in all interest pertaining to the welfare of his town, and he and his family are contributing and supporting members of the M. E. Church. He is a manufacturer of staves in Essex county, which is known as the Crown Point Stave Company of Crown Point, N. Y.; also artesian well-digging in New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut.
SNYDER, Condit B., of Claverack, was born May 27, 1859, a son of Frederick Ham (born April 4, 1836), and Mary (Van Deusen) Snyder. Mr. Snyder is a graduate of the New England Conservatory of Boston, and is a director in the Claverack College Conservatory of Music. He married Katrina Pierson Fink, a descendant of Abram Pierson, founder and first president of Yale College. Mr. Snyder's father is a practical, up-to-date fruit grower and farmer, whose advice is often sought. He has been executor in settling several estates and served in public office. He was a son of Tunis G. Snyder (born March 23, 1781, died March 2, 1878) and Rebecca Ham, his wife. Tunis G. Snyder was a farmer in Ghent and recognized as one of the leading men in the town. He was captain of a military company and was called out in the War of 1812, just a few days before the close. He was blessed with a remarkable voice from the age of twelve to ninety-five years, leading choirs much of the time. Tunis G. was a son of Capt. George T. (born October 16, 1760) and Catherine (Loup) Snyder. Capt. George Snyder was a very active farmer and was member of Assembly two terms. In 1785 he, with several others, applied to the Governor as wanting better title to the manor land and being dissatisfied with the rent law, but not succeeding in getting it righted many left, and he went to Ghent and purchased land with a clear title. Capt. George Snyder was a son of Tunis (born January 26, 1739) and Catharine (Hoysradt) Snyder. Tunis was a farmer and carpenter. He had sworn allegiance to the Crown and was put in the gaol because he would not fight to free the colony. Tunis was a son of George Snyder and Greetye Holsapple, his wife, who, no doubt, were born in Germany and came to America about 1710.
Pages 227 & 228:
SNYDER, Lorenzo L., p. o. Churchtown, N. Y., was born in the town of Claverack, May 19, 1851, son of Levi and Eliza (Miller) Snyder, who had a family of seven children, of whom six survive at the present time. Mr. Snyder remained at home with his parents until he was twenty-four years of age, when he engaged in farming himself. He has been twice married. His first wife was Libbie Cookingham, daughter of John H. and Emmaline (Miller) Cookingham, to whom he was married in 1876. They took up their residence with her parents. Mrs. Snyder died in 1881, and Mr. Snyder continued to live with his father-in-law until 1886, he was married to Miss Alice Simmons, of Hudson. they have two children, Harry J., born July 25, 1888, and George L., born May 12, 1896. Mr. Snyder is a member of Hudson Lodge, No. 1,221, Royal Arcanum.
SNYDER, Washington.---Among the early settlers of Germantown was Hendrick Snyder, who was a resident of Germantown as early as 1726. He had a son named Conrad and he a son named Samuel, who married Regina Conrad, and was a soldier in the War of 1812. Samuel Snyder settled on the farm where Washington and Clarence Snyder now live and where five generations of the family have lived. Samuel, the first settler, had a son whose name was Samuel, who married Elizabeth Bissel; they had fourteen children, as follows: Chauncey, George, Robert, Walter, Margaret, Genette, Harriet, Caroline, Mary, Chester, Fannie, Catherine and two who died in infancy. Chauncey married Matilda Lasher, who bore him three children: Mary, Washington and Clarence; Chauncey died in 1873, and his wife one year previous. The children were brought up by their aunt, Rachel Lasher, and were educated in the schools of the town of Germantown. After the boys became of age they took possession of the old homestead and carried on successful farming and fruit-growing. They have on their farm about 5,000 fruit trees and make a specialty of apples, having the reputation of raising the finest apples in the State. On September 19, 1894, Washington Snyder married Ettie, daughter of Edward Rifenburgh; they have one son, Edward C. On January 1, 1896, Clarence Snyder married Mable, daughter of Wellington Rockefeller, and they have one daughter, Cecile. Both the Snyders take an active interest in town and county affairs, as well as all public-spirited enterprise. The house where they now live is over one hundred years old.
SOUTHARD, Stanley, Y., of Hudson, was born in Peekskill, N. Y., January 19, 1865, son of Charles F. and Emma (Wells) Southard. Charles F., a native of Westchester county, N. Y., was one of the most extensive brick manufacturers on the Hudson river. Stanley Y. Southard, after attending private schools, entered Peekskill Military Academy, from which he was graduated in 1881, and in 1883 was graduated from Packard's Business College. He was connected with his father's business until the death of the latter in 1885, when he received the appointment of assistant accountant to the State Board of Railroad Commissioners. In this capacity he remained until 1893. In 1890 he took up his residence in Hudson, and in 1895 he accepted the position of teller in the National Hudson River Bank, which office he holds at the present time; also acting during 1897-98 as assistant treasurer of the Hudson Street Railway Company. Mr. Southard in his ten years' residence in Hudson has established himself firmly in the high regard of the business people of the city, as well as in social circles. Still on the sunny side of the meridian of life, he has achieved a reputation of unquestioned ability, foresight and financial acumen, and has before him a career of usefulness and honor. In 1890 he was married to Minnie, daughter of Samuel Moffat. They have one daughter, Marjorie.
SPEED, Harry S., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in West Ghent, N. Y., August 26, 1864. His father was Sylvanus Speed, who was a carpenter and builder, and who died in 1879. His mother was Jane H. (Leggett) Speed, daughter of William Leggett, one of whose brothers, Rev. William J. Leggett, was one of the pastors of the Dutch Reformed church of Claverack. Harry S. Speed was educated in the district schools, and in 1882 entered the employ of Leggett & Milham, general merchants, as clerk. In 1887 he purchased the business, which he ever since has carried on, and at the present time has the leading mercantile house in Hudson. He is a thorough business man, with an intuitive knowledge of the wants of the public, and the ability and enterprise to supply them. He has been successful in his undertakings and stands high in the estimation of the people of his city. He is a member of the Dutch Reformed Church, and active in its interests. In 1888 he was married to Emma Bagley, and they have one son, Sherwood B.
Pages 229 & 230:
SPENCER, Edmund, is a native of Hudson. He was born March 22, 1848, son of W. H. and Emily (Fosdick) Spencer, and grandson of Elijah Spencer, who settled in Hudson in 1800. W. H. Spencer was born in Hudson in 1806, and was chiefly engaged in mercantile trade and shipping of hay; he was one of the first to practice the daguerreotype art in Columbia county. He died in Hudson in 1887. Edmund Spencer obtained his education at the Hudson Academy and learned the trade of engraver on metals of his father, and in 1869 established his present jewelry business. In 1871 he was married to Amanda L., daughter of William H. Lynk. They have one son, Frederick W., who made a study of ophthalmology under Dr. King, of New York city, and is now associated with his father in the jewelry business, devoting special attention to optical work. Edmund Spencer has been a factor in the growth and development of Hudson, and is considered one of its most successful and conscientious business men, and as a citizen has never been backward in the promotion of worthy objects.
STARK, Valentine, was born in Germany, October 28, 1840, a son of Lawrence Stark and Dorothy Power, his wife. Mr. Stark came to America in 1870, locating in Claverack, where he worked for Loring Pullman, and stayed with him a year. He next engaged with Edward Best, and after a short time was employed by Smith Bros., remaining with them five years. In 1882 he bought the place he now occupies and makes a specialty of fruit-raising and vegetables. He was married in Germany, in 1867, to Barbara Dopel; they have nine children: John, Mary, Valentine, Jr., Barbara, Louisa, Jacob, Margaret, Frederic and Kathryn.
Pages 230 & 231:
STARKE, Willard R., M. D., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Chatham, November 8, 1865. He obtained his preparatory education at the Chatham Academy, and was graduated from the medical department of the University of Michigan. In 1891 he settled in Chatham for the practice of his profession, and is considered one of the leading physicians of the place. He has been health officer of the village and town of Chatham, and treasurer of the village and of the union free school. He is physician to the Columbia county almshouse, and is a member of Columbia County Medical society. He is a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 98, F. & A. M., and of the Knights of Pythias. He was married to Isadore C., daughter of Samuel N. Hand, of Malden Bridge. His father, Amos H. Starke, a merchant, was a native of Columbia county, born in 1814. His first wife, Anastasia, died in 1883, survived by one daughter, Leora A. Pratt. He afterward was married to Elvira Reed, who bore him four children: John, died in 1882; Ervin, Willard R. and Ada.
STEVENS, Henry Grinnell, was born in Hudson, February 2, 1846. His father was A. C. Stevens, a native of Charlestown, Mass., and his grandfather, John Stevens, was in the Revolutionary War. A. C. Stevens came to Hudson in 1836 and engaged in the manufacture of guns. It was through his genius that the first Remington rifle was made. He gave to Leonard Geiger one-half interest for services, and through their combined efforts was made the Remington rifle, adopted by the United States Government. Mr. Stevens also manufactured rifles which made his name well known from Maine to California. He was a conservative, public-spirited citizen. He married Sarah F., daughter of Eliza Grinnell, wife of Francis Smith. The Grinnells of New Bedford were a famous family. Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Stevens were the parents of seven children, three of whom are now living: Mrs. Helen S. Brown of Brooklyn, Albert A. Stevens of Brooklyn, and Henry G. Stevens of Hudson.
Pages 360 & 361:
STICKLES, Charles L., of Ancram, was born in the town of Hillsdale, N. Y., January 31, 1856, son of Jacob and Elizabeth M. (Lown) Stickles, who had six children, namely: John J., Orlando H., Charles L., Carrie B., wife of Charles W. Niver, Oren J., and William B., all born in Hillsdale. Jacob Stickles was a son of Hawley P. and Dorothy B. Stickles, and early in life was a speculator in produce, but during the latter part of his life was engaged in farming. When Charles L. Stickles was about four years old his parents removed from Hillsdale to Gallatinville, where he attended the district school. When he was twelve years of age they came to Ancram, and he remained with his parents until he was twenty-four years old, when he worked for a year as a farmer, and then moved to the farm where he now lives, and which was formerly owned by his father-in-law; it contains 174 acres and is devoted to dairying. When about twenty-five he was interested in a threshing machine, during the fall and winter, doing threshing for different farmers. At the age of twenty-three Mr. Stickles was married to Bernice, daughter of Henry and Catherine Hoysradt, and they have one daughter, Nina H.
STICKLES, Henry H., of Gallatin, was born on the farm where he now resides, April 4, 1841, son of John P. and Catherine (Stall) Stickles, whose children were Catherine, Maria, William (deceased), John, Daniel, Peter, Antonette, Henry H., Julia, Isaac (deceased), Eliza Ann (deceased), and Platt (deceased), all natives of the town of Gallatin. Henry H. Stickles was educated in the common schools and in a private school. He was associated with his father until his father's death, with the exception of one year which he spent in the town of Livingston. At the time of his father's death, he purchased the homestead and follows general farming. When twenty-three years of age, he married Helena, daughter of John Weaver, of Manerton, (sic) who bore him three children: Catherine, Lena May, wife of Fred Sherwood, and Henry J., who died in 1877. Mr. Stickles married, second, Fannie, daughter of Jacob A. Stall; they have one daughter, Marion J. Mr. Stickles is interested in town and county affairs, though he has never aspired to political honors in the way of holding office. He is also interested in school and educational work and has been connected with his school in an official capacity many terms and is a liberal contributor to the different churches. Lena May Sherwood has one son, Henry D. Sherwood, born 1900.
STICKLES, Hiram, of Taghkanic, was born in the town of Livingston, near Churchtown, February 1, 1818, son of Frederick F. and Elizabeth (Snyder) Stickles, who had nine children, as follows: Harry, Jane, wife of Rufus Patrie; Edward, Hiram, Betsey (deceased), John, Herman (deceased), Serene and Margaret, wife of Henry Wagoner, all born in the town of Livingston. Mr. Stickles spent his early life on the home farm in the town of Livingston, where he received a common school education. When twenty-three years of age he started in life for himself as a farmer, and purchased a farm in the town of Livingston about one mile north of Glenco Mills, where he remained six years, then traded for the farm where he now resides, which contains about 200 acres. Mr. Stickles married Mary C. Myers, who bore him six children: Laura, wife of Edward Lasher; Cornelia, wife of Charles R. Decker; Mervin, who married Mary E. Bush, daughter of David Bush; Kate E., wife of Courtney B. Post; Jennie, and H. H., who married Carrie Cookingham, daughter of John H. Cookingham. Mr. Stickles has been active in school and educational work, having been connected with his school in an official capacity as trustee, etc., many terms. Mrs. Stickles' parents were Abram and Kate (Decker) Myers. Samuel Myers, her grandfather, served in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.
STUDLEY, Albert Lincoln, was born in Claverack, June 14, 1855, a son of James Judson and Elizabeth Jane (Boardman) Studley. He received his early education in the public schools of Claverack and had private instruction in the higher branches of mathematics. In 1873 he began work with the Hudson branch of the B. & A. R. R. as brakeman, which position he held for about three years, when he went into the station to help his father, who had been station-master since September, 1855. His father resigned in 1895, after serving forty years, and he was succeeded by his son Albert, who has filled the position since. On July 18, 1888, Mr. Studley married Viola Lincoln Poole, of Rockland, Mass., a daughter of Ludo Augustus and Jane Russell (Merriam) Poole; they had six children: Arthur M., Lincoln H., Elizabeth R., Ralph J., Mary A. and Gerry Poole.
STUPPLEBEEN, Fayette A., of Hudson, N. Y., was born in the town of Ghent, N. Y., December 11, 1855. His grandfather, George A., was a native of Ghent, and was captain of the militia company on "training days." His father, Jacob H., also born in Ghent, was a farmer, and was married to Fannie L., daughter of William Stupplebeen. F. A. Stupplebeen was educated in a private school under the instruction of Rev. Dr. Hartman, and in 1872 came to Hudson, where he engaged in mercantile business. In 1876 he purchased the interest of Peter Jacobin in the firm of Benjamin Jacobin, shoe dealers. In 1883 the firm dissolved partnership, and in May of the same year he started his present business. In 1895 he established the Hudson Carriage Repository, erecting his present quarter in 1899. Mr. Stupplebeen has served as alderman three terms, and as loan commissioner two terms. He is a director of the Columbia and Dutchess Insurance Company, and a trustee of the Universalist church. In Masonry he is a member of Hudson Lodge, No. 7, of Hudson Chapter, No. 6, of Lafayette Commandery, No. 7, and of Mecca Temple, N. M. S. of New York. On December 11, 1883, he was married to Judith L., only child of Hon. C. P. Lapham, of Hancock, Mass. They are the parents of one son, William Lapham, and two daughters, Marguerite and Sally.
Pages 361 & 362:
SWEET, H. P., of Hillsdale, was born in Austerlitz, June 30, 1859, son of Gay P. (born in Connecticut in 1827) and Emily (Palmater) Sweet, the parents of Emma G. (Sweet) Slater; Elizabeth (Sweet) Varney; Jennie L. (Sweet) Holmes, and Nellie M., who died in 1884. Gay P. is a painter by trade and has been town clerk and justice of the peace for a number of years. H . P. Sweet is a member of Hillsdale Lodge No. 612, F. & A. M. He was educated in the common schools and after leaving school engaged in the painting and paper business. For two years he served as clerk in the custom house in New York city and in 1894 came to Hillsdale and bought the Hillsdale House, were he is now engaged in the hotel business. He served as town clerk for one year. Mr. Sweet married Charlotte L. Dexheimer and they are the parents of Raymond E. and Doris L.