FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
Click on the Photo to see the person.
VAN ALSTYNE, Abram H., p. o. Old Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Stuyvesant , N. Y., July 14, 1841. His father was Hugh Van Alstyne, also a native of Stuyvesant, where he was a farmer and supervisor for six years; he was married to Catherine Van Alstyne, who bore him Edward P., Jennie J., A. Morrell and Abram H. Mr. Van Alstyne died May 8, 1884, and his wife in September, 1870. Abram H. Van Alstyne was educated in the common schools, Kinderhook and White Plain Academies, and at Glendale, Mass. He has always followed the occupation of farming, and for two years was vice-president of the First National Bank of Kinderhook (of which his father was president eight years) and a director for fifteen years. His wife was Sarah Alice Philip, who was born April 20, 1846, and who has borne him two children: Hugh and Katy Rossman.
Pages 241 & 242:
VAN ALSTYNE, Mrs. Barent, p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y. --- Barent Van Alstyne was born in Stuyvesant. He was always a farmer, a man much respected by his acquaintances and a worthy citizen in every respect. He was vice-president of the Union Bank. He married Mary C. Sudam, of Kinderhook, N. Y., and died May 7, 1886. Jacob F. Sudam, father of Mrs. Van Alstyne, was a farmer. His wife was Sally Decker, who died in Kinderhook on April 6, 1900. Mr. Sudam died on May 19, 1888. Mrs. Van Alstyne's grandfather, Charles Sudam, was born August 15, 1776, and died August 1, 1823; his wife was Annie Miller, born June 17, 1780, and died March 2, 1859.
VAN ALSTYNE, Charles G., p. o. North Chatham, N. Y., was born in the town of Chatham, N. Y., in October, 1845, son of Leonard and Christina (Clough) Van Alstyne. His father was born in Chatham and was a farmer. Charles G. Van Alstyne was educated in the commons schools, and learned the printing trade. In 1878 he was appointed postmaster and has held the position continuously since that date; he has been a justice of the peace twelve years, six of which he has served as justice of sessions. He is a member of Gratitude Lodge, No. 674, F. & A. M., and also of the Knights of Pythias. He was married to Rachel, daughter of John Q. Huyck. They are the parents of Henry A. Van Alstyne, Jess H., Mrs. Edith L. Sheldon, and Misses Eleanor N. and Mabel H. Van Alstyne.
Pages 242 & 243:
VAN ALSTYNE, Edward, p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y. --- The first member of this family to settle in Columbia county was Abraham Van Alstyne a native of Holland, who, about 1680, located on land near where Edward now lives. He had been a brewer in his native country, but after coming here followed farming. He was the father of six sons and three daughters, as follows: Isaac, Martin, Matthew, John, Abraham, Alexander, Durkie, Catherine and Lany. (2) Martin, the second son of Abraham (1) was married to Catherine, daughter of Johannes Van Allen. They had four children, namely: Abraham, John, Maria and Sarah, who all lived near the present residence of Edward, and John was buried on his farm. Durkie, daughter of Abraham (1) and sister of Martin (2), was married to Martin Van Buren, grandfather of President Van Buren. (3) John, son of Martin, was married to Durkie Winnie, who bore him three children, Abraham, Adam and Churacie. (4) Adam was married to Maria Bain and they had children: John, who died unmarried, Hugh, married to Catherine Van Alstyne; and James, who was married to Ann Van Alstyne, and had two children: Isaac, who died unmarried, and Maria, who married J. Spencer Hosford; and (5) Peter Edward, whose first wife was Elizabeth, daughter of William R. Mesick. They had one child, who died in infancy. His second wife, was Harriet Van Vranken Mynderse, who bore him four children, viz.: Annie (6) Edward, Mary Mynderse and Albertina. The oldest and youngest died infants. Peter Edwards's third wife was Margaret Pruyn, who had one child, Harriet. Edward Van Alstyne (6) was educated in the common schools, Kinderhook Academy and Union College Preparatory, where he pursued the scientific course. His father died when he was nineteen years old, and he then began farming on his own account, which he has followed to the present time. Mr. Van Alstyne has made a study of agriculture and pursues his calling upon scientific principles, testing and adopting modern methods that prove of practical value and verifying the advance theory that agriculture is a science, and that, to be successful, must be the subject of scientific research and experiment. He has lectured before the New York State Agricultural Department and also in Maryland, establishing a reputation as an advanced and intelligent agriculturist. He has always taken the intelligent citizen's interest in town and county affairs, and also in church work. He is the present supervisor of Stuyvesant and was Sunday school superintendent for twelve years of the Reformed Church school, Kinderhook. In March, 1879, he was married to Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of Capt. Bartholomew and Caroline (Thomas) Pruyn. The (sic) have seven children, viz.: (7) James Edward, Elizabeth Pruyn, Annie Mynderse, Jean Pruyn, Mary Kathrine, Lewis Morrell and Pruyn. Abraham Van Alstyne, son of Martin (2), was a colonel in the Revolutionary army, and his son Lawrence was in the ranks. Adam, son of John (3) was collector of Internal Revenue for the Eighth District in 1814, and Peter Edward (6) was Internal Revenue collector for the Twelfth District in 1867-68, and represented his district in the Assembly in 1860.
VAN ALSTYNE, F. B., moved from New York to Kinderhook in 1867 and was engaged in the drug business until 1888. In 1882 he helped to organize the Kinderhook Knitting Co., and from 1888 gave it his entire attention. For a number of years he was treasurer of the village and from 1895 to 1898 was president of the village; was vestryman and treasurer of St. Paul's Episcopal Church for many years; high priest of Kinderhook Chapter of R. A. M. for seven years, also two years school trustee.
VAN BENSCHOTEN, F., was born May 30, 1847. His father, Egbert Van Benschoten, was a native of Gallatin, and his grandfather was superintendent of the Livingston farm in Livingston. Egbert Van B. married Hanna Pulver, of Cobleskill, Schoharie county. He was a shoe manufacturer in Hudson. F. Van Benschoten was educated in the Hudson public school, and in 1863 he learned the mechanical engineering business, with which he has been identified for thirty-seven years, serving as engineer on different boats on the river, also in government service on hospital boats in the latter part of the Rebellion. In 1876 he became engineer for the Hudson Water Works, and has had charge since that date. In 1870 he married Maggie Miller, who died in 1873, leaving one daughter, Maggie. He afterwards, in 1881, married Kate D. Browere, of Catskill. They have two sons, Ray and Frank.
Pages 364 & 365:
VAN BENSCHOTEN, William M., of Ancram, was born in the town of Gallatin, N. Y., September 17, 1823, and died July 20, 1886. He was a son of Tunis Van Benschoten, whose other children were Egbert, John, Henry, Emeline, Jane, Martha, Maria, and Harmon. Tunis was a shoemaker. William M. received the common school education and remained home with his parents until he reached manhood, when he began business life as a clerk at Hillsdale, in a general store, and later went to Copake as clerk in a store. In 1851 he purchased a store property there and engaged in mercantile business for himself on the cash system. Disposing of his business at Copake, he located at Boston Corners, where he carried on the only store. In 1854 he purchased a farm at Boston Corners, turning his attention to farming, which occupation he successfully pursued for fourteen years. For thirteen years thereafter he was station agent at Boston corners, his services with the Harlem railroad dating from 1868 to 1881; with the Poughkeepsie, Hartford and Boston (now called the Poughkeepsie and Eastern Railroad), and the Rhinebeck and Connecticut (now called Central New England Railroad), from the time they commenced operation in 1851. At the time of his death was assistant station agent for the different railroads centering at Boston Corners. He held the office of postmaster at different times. The latter part of his life he lived mostly retired from active business, devoting his attention to his landed property, which was quite extensive. He was a man of domestic taste and his leisure hours were always spent at his home. He was a prominent actor in town and county affairs, never aspiring, however, to political office. He was active in the interest of the schools and served them in an official capacity many years. He was a working member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a member of the order of Odd Fellows. November 8,1845, he was married to Maria Langdon, who died August 11, 1871, and who bore him two sons: William B. and Charles. William B. Died December 15, 1870, aged twenty-four years; he was a graduate of Eastman's National Business College; had been ticket agent at Fordham upward to four years, from which place he was transferred to Twenty-sixth Street, occupying that position at the time of his death. Charles married Gertrude, January 1, 1872, daughter of Henry Wilber, and has two daughters; Blanche, born at Boston Corners, January 4, 1873, now the wife of Landon Ostrom, and Grace, born at Boston Corners, March 23, 1876, now the wife of William Schryver, of Rhinebeck. Charles died October 25, 1876, aged twenty-six years. Mr. and Mrs. Ostrom have two daughters: Grace, born at Rhinecliff, May 16, 1895, and Helen, born at Rhinebeck, February 22, 1897. On September 16, 1874, he was married to Carrie L. (born at Boston Corners, April 20, 1844), daughter of Chauncey and Fanny (Bissell) Vosburgh. Mrs. Van Benschoten now lives at Boston Corners.
VAN BUREN, Bartley, L., M. D., p. o. Lebanon Springs, N. Y., was born in the town of Ghent, N. Y., in 1840, son of Mathew and Catherine (Phillips) Van Buren, whose children were John H., Peter J., George M., Sarah C., Bartley L., and Barent S. The father died in Kinderhook in 1886, and the mother in 1866. Dr. B. L. Van Buren was educated at Kinderhook Academy and Claverack Institute. He studied for the ministry and was ordained October 1, 1861. He later took up the study of medicine under private tutors, and began practice in 1880 in New Lebanon. He has been twice married. His first wife was Maggie J. Williams, to whom he was married in 1860; she died in 1896, leaving one daughter, Hattie C., and one son, Frank B., who died in 1866. His second wife was Augusta C. Clark, of Lebanon Springs, to whom he was married in 1898.
VAN de BOE, Jacob, was born on the farm adjoining the one he now occupies, on the 7th of April, 1822, a son of Peter and Ann (Trafford) Van de Boe. At the time his grandfather, Jacob Van de Boe, came to this country, he could have purchased the land in Claverack village at ten shillings an acre, but thinking he could get better results from the land in Martindale, bought 300 acres and settled there; he was colonel in a regiment in the Revolutionary War. Jacob Van de Boe received a common school education, and as his father followed general farming and cattle raising, he succeeded his father and has followed the business up to the present time. For nearly thirteen years Mr. Van de Boe made weekly trips to New York city to attend to business he had there. He married Elizabeth Shutts, daughter of John Shutts, who died March 7, 1883, leaving a family of three children: Frank Anna and Harry.
VAN du BOE, Myron, was born in Claverack, N.Y., July 26, 1861, son of the late Edward Lansing and Julia A. (Steever) Van du Boe. His early education was secured in the public schools of Claverack, and he completed his studies at the Hudson River Institute. He was married on June 23, 1897, to Kate Hamilton, daughter of Abel I. and Catherine Wood (Hamilton) Bristol. They have one son, Lewis Bristol Van du Boe, born June 8, 1898.
Pages 365 & 366:
VAN DE BOGART, Albert R., p. o. Canaan Four Corners, N. Y., was born in the town of Livingston, N. Y., February 1, 1833, son of John and Eliza (Raynor) Van De Bogart, whose children were Jacob, Maria, John, Albert (deceased), and Albert R. John Van De Bogart, the father, was a native of Livingston, born in 1789, and was a farmer; he died October 20, 1832, and his widow in 1884. Albert R. Van De Bogart was educated in the common schools. He was in the boot and shoe trade in Hudson for eight years, and came to Canaan in 1872, where he has been engaged in farming. He was married to Harriet House, and they have had the following children: Jacob, Mary A., and Hattie, who died November 7, 1892.
Pages 244 & 245:
VAN DEUSEN, Augustus N., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., is a native of the town of Claverack, N. Y., and was born October 5, 1845. His father, William T. Van Deusen, was born in the same town, was a blacksmith and a member of Allen Lodge, I. O. O. F., of Hudson; his wife was Catherine Ten Broeck. He died in 1884 and his wife in 1874. Augustus N. Van Deusen received a common school education. He worked for a time as a carpenter and joiner, also a while at farming. In 1871 he removed to Chatham, where he is now engaged in the undertaking business. He has served his town as assessor, and is a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 98, F. & A. M., of the K. of P., and Eastern Star Lodge, No. 47. His wife was Georgiana, daughter of John Crosby. They have two sons, Ellsworth W. and Hezekiah L.
VAN DEUSEN, Fred, of Copake, was born in the town of Copake, N. Y., on the farm where he now resides, on April 17, 1868, son of Freelen and Catherine (Williams) Van Deusen, who had two children, Frank and Fred, both born on the homestead where Fred resides. Freelen Van Deusen was a son of Jacob I. and Catherine Wolcott Van Deusen, and was a farmer and speculator in live stock, buying in northern and western New York and in Vermont, and driving to the New York market. He held the office of town superintendent, town clerk and was also assessor for a number of years. Fred Van Deusen attended the common schools and assisted his father in his business until the latter's death, and has since been associated with his mother in the conduct of the farm of 306 acres, devoting their attention to dairying. Frank Van Deusen was married to the daughter of Jacob Makeley, and has been superintendent of different large farms in New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts. He was also a conductor on the West Shore Railroad one year.
VAN HOESEN, D. Taylor, p. o. Niverville, N. Y., son of Henry P. and Anna C. (Sprinsteen) Van Hoesen, was born in the town of Schodack, N. Y., in 1849. Henry P. Van Hoesen was also a native of Schodack, where he was a merchant, and held the offices of justice of the peace and supervisor for a number of years; he was a member of Schodack Lodge, F. & A. M. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Van Hoesen were Benjamin S., D. Taylor, Mary L., Henry R., and Anna M. Mr. Van Hoesen died March, 1882, and his widow on May 5, 1896. After the usual period of study in the district schools, D. Taylor Van Hoesen attended the State Normal School at Albany and the Albany Business College. In 1871 he came to Niverville, where he has since been engaged in mercantile trade and hotel keeping. He is a justice of the peace; in 1887 was appointed postmaster, and has been a school trustee for years. He has been twice married. His first wife was Libbie Pultz, who bore him one son, Frank T., and died on February 5, 1880. He married, second, Anna H., daughter of Philip H. Mead of Niverville.
Pages 245 & 246:
VAN HOESEN, Henry, is a native of the town of Stockport, N. Y., and was born March 25, 1855, son of William and Abigail Jane (daughter of Artemus and Salome Swift (Stewart) Bowdy) Van Hoesen. His grandfather, Henry Van Hoesen, with his father, George Van Hoesen, and his mother, Jan Hallenbeck Van Hoesen, removed from Greenport, south of Hudson, to Stockport in the early part of the nineteenth century. The Van Hoesen family trace their descent direct from Jans Franz Van Hoesen, who arrived at Beaverwick (now Albany), from Holland, about 1650. In 1662 he was granted a patent of a tract of land which included the site of the present city of Hudson, by Governor Nicholl, the first English Colonial Governor. Mr. Van Hoesen's family, on his mother's side, descends from Solomon Wallace Stewart, who came to America as an officer in the English army during the Revolution; was captured at Saratoga and exchanged at Danbury, Ct., where he married Abigail Booth. Artemus Bowdy was the son of Artemus Bowdy and Jane Hawley; his father, Artemus, with his brother, Moses Bowdy, came to America from England in the latter part of the eighteenth century. For more than 200 years the Van Hoesen family has been prominent in the towns of Greenport, Stockport and the city of Hudson. After attending the primary and public schools, Henry Van Hoesen completed his studies at the Hudson Academy and took up the study of law in the office of Hon. Samuel Edwards, and later in the office of J. Rider Cady, from whose office he was admitted to the bar on January 11, 1878, and has been in continuous practice at the city of Hudson since. In 1889 he served as police justice of the city, and has been attorney for the finance committee of the city government since 1898. Mr. Van Hoesen has been and is a credit to the bar of Columbia county. He is well versed in knowledge of the law, and has demonstrated judicial faculties of more than ordinary force. He is a keen observer of men, and in his intercourse with people leaves the impression of a man of broad understanding, high character, and intellectual attainments.
VAN HOESEN, Henry R., p. o. Niverville, N. Y., is a native of Schodack, N. Y., born November 19, 1857. He was educated at Poultney, Vt. His first business engagement was in the mercantile line at Niverville; he is now in the hotel business and is one of the representative men of his town. He is prominent in Masonry, being a member of Valatie Lodge, No. 362, of Kinderhook chapter, Hudson Commandery, No. 7, and of Cyprus Temple of Albany. He served as collector one term. Mr. Van Hoesen was married to Carrie E., daughter of John Kipp, of Troy, N. Y., Their children are Claude A. and Henry R.
Pages 246 & 247:
VAN HOESEN, Marshall, of Hudson, was born in Greenport, Columbia county, in November, 1833. His father, Henry Van Hosen, was a native of the same place, his grandfather, George Van Hoesen, having settled there earlier than 1800. Henry Van Hoesen married Eliza Shaw, and throughout his life followed farming. He died in 1837. Marshall Van Hoesen was educated in Hudson, and in 1850 came to that city and learned carriage blacksmithing, in which trade he has been engaged for fifty years. He has served as deacon in the Baptist Church for twelve years, and is one of Hudson's conservative, public spirited, self-made men. In 1855 he married Jane H., daughter of Alfonso Ford, of Austerlitz, Columbia county, and they have had one daughter, Mrs. Frank L. Westfall, and one son, Charles E. Van Hoesen (deceased).
VAN HOESEN, Mary E. Dakin, p. o. Niverville, N. Y., is the daughter of Levi and Delia E. (Best) Dakin. Mr. Dakin was born in the town of Kinderhook, February 27, 1827; his wife was the daughter of Jeremiah I. Best, and they were the parents of Mary E., the subject of this sketch, Harriet G. Dakin Drew, and Aretha A. Reader. Mr. Dakin died March 17, 1900. Mary E. Dakin became the wife of Smith B. Van Hoesen, who is a farmer on the old homestead. Their children are Mabel D., and Howard Levi.
VAN NESS, Sherman, M. D., p. o. Chatham Center, N. Y., was born in the town of Chatham, N. Y., March 13, 1859. His father was Sherman Van Ness, born at Malden Bridge, N. Y., in 1817; he was sheriff of Columbia county three years, city engineer of Hudson fifteen years, and supervisor twenty-five years; his wife was Clarissa Rich, daughter of Henry Rich, and their children were Mary, Anna, De Lamater, Lucinda and the subject of this notice. Mr. Van Ness died March 26, 1885. Dr. Sherman Van Ness received his education in the public schools and at Rutgers College, and was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York. After his graduation he traveled for two years in Europe, following which he began practice in New York, where he remained four years, and then practiced four years in Omaha, returning thence to Chatham Center in 1895, where he has maintained a successful practice. In 1899 he was appointed coroner. He is a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 98, F. & A. M. He was united in marriage with Frances M. Vedder, daughter of Dr. Ransom and Emily A. Vedder. They have three children, Emily, Clara and Gertrude.
VAN SCHAACK, David, was born in Kinderhook, N. Y., December 9, 1793, and was one of Columbia county's leading lawyers. He married Catharine Sickles, and they had three children: Elsie E., Anna, and John J., the latter having been cashier of Kinderhook Bank. Mr. Van Schaack died March 23, 1872, and his wife February 17, 1885.
VAN STYNE, Andrew A., p. o. Chatham Center, N. Y., was born in the latter place, February 12, 1836. His father, Isaac L. Van Styne, was a native of Chatham, and a blacksmith; his wife was Hannah Smith, of Sand Lake, N. Y., and their children were Peter (deceased), William, of Plainfield, N. J., Andrew, Lewis, John, Isaac, Frank P., and Mrs. Mary E. Chadsey, of New York (deceased). Andrew A. Van Styne obtained his education in the district schools, and has through life devoted his attention to the mercantile trade. In July, 1862, he was appointed postmaster and is still the incumbent of the office; he has been collector and town clerk of Chatham, and is a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 98, F. & A. M., and of the Holland Society of New York city. He was married to Elsie M., daughter of Abram P. Van Alstyne, September 4, 1867. Their children are Clarence, of New York, Helena Sterling, of New York, and Andrew Jr., now of New York.
Pages 247 & 248:
VAN TASSEL, William H., of Hudson, is a native of the town of Canaan, N. Y., where he was born September 12, 1840, a son of Philip (born in Hillsdale), and Catherine (Messenger) Van Tassel, and grandson of Frederick, an early settler. Philip was a farmer through life. William H. Van Tassel, after being educated in the public schools and old Hudson Academy, engaged in hotel keeping in Greenport and Claverack until 1867, when he came to Hudson and purchased the St. Charles Hotel. This house he sold after running it two years, and immediately bought the Central House, which he kept four years and disposed of it in 1873 to enter upon the duties of sheriff of Columbia county, on January 1, 1874, to which office he had been elected. After serving one term as sheriff, in 1877 he entered the employ of the New York Central Sleeping Car Co., as conductor, in which position he was engaged six years, when he resigned, and in 1883 returned to Hudson and embarked in the drug trade, in which he has since been engaged. It is hardly necessary in this place to call attention to Mr. Van Tassel as a citizen of Hudson. He is too well known to require even a commonplace statement of his position among the people of the city, while adulation or even complimentary notice would be as distasteful to him as unnecessary. There is no business man in the city who has a broader circle of acquaintances, and one who stands higher in the estimation of the community where he is so well known. Thoroughly awake to the local and general public issues, he is always found among the active promoters of all worthy movements. In 1859 Mr. Van Tassel was united in marriage with Mary J. Robinson, who died in 1865. He was married, second, to Elizabeth, daughter of Salmon B. Thomas.
VAN VALKENBURGH, Barent H., of Ancram, was born in the town of Gallatin, N. Y., January 29, 1866, son of Hoysradt and Mary Elizabeth (Washburn) Van Valkenburgh, who had two children, Barent H. and Jennie Maria. Hoysradt was a son of Barent, and born in Columbia county. Barent H. Van Valkenburgh attended the common schools and completed his studies at Pine Plains and Rhinebeck, N. Y. He has always been connected with his father in farming operations, also buying produce for shipment to New York, and dealing in coal. He is a member of Stissing Lodge, No. 615, F. & a. M., of Pine Plains. In 1890 he was married to Frances Elizabeth, daughter of Peter A. and Mary (Rankin) Decker. They have two children, Barent Hoysradt and Eva Matilda.
Pages 249 & 250:
VAN VLECK, Charles King, D. D. S., is a native of Hudson, born January 16, 1854. His father was William B. Van Vleck, a native of Kinderhook, and son of Henry, also a native of the same place, and grandson of Abram Isaac Van Vleck, who was one of the pioneers of that town. The family trace their descent form Isaac Van Vleck, who was a prominent brewer in New York city and died there in 1695. William B. Van Vleck removed to Kinderhook to Hudson about 1836, and studied the profession of dentistry with his brother, Henry H., and afterward practiced the science in that city until his final illness in 1890; he died January 14, 1898. His wife was Anna, daughter of Charles F. King. Charles King Van Vleck received his preliminary education in the public schools of Hudson, where he began the practice of his profession. He has been very successful and ranks high among his professional brethren. He has always been a student and has permitted no improvement or progressive step in his profession that promised success to pass him untried. Dr. Van Vleck is one of those citizens whose worthiness becomes apparent to his fellow men without ostentatious demonstration or egotistical announcement. He has been a member of the board of education, the board of health, is a member of the National Dental Association, the Odontological Society of New York, the Dental Society of the State of New York and the Third District Dental Society. In 1885 he was married to Julia A., daughter of Gen. Thomas S. Gary, and they are the parents of one daughter, Lannie.
Pages 248 & 249:
VAN VLIET, Elmer, the well-known undertaker of Hudson, N. Y., was born in the town of Clinton, Dutchess county, N. Y., on January 26, 1843. His father, Platt Garrison Van Vliet, was also a native of Clinton, born May 15, 1807, and died at the age of sixty-seven years; he married Nancy, daughter of Timothy Lamoree and Esther Van Wagner. The Van Vliet family trace their lineage far back in the annals of the Netherlands; the first to emigrate to this country was Adrian Gerritson Van Vliet, who sailed from the province of Utrecht (Holland) with his wife and five children, on the "Frouw" (Faith), and arrived at New Amsterdam, June 13, 1662, and soon after settled at "the Esopus," now Kingston, N. Y.; by grant and by purchase he became the owner of considerable real estate. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, and later, several of the family achieved distinction in the fields of literature and art, and in military and civil life. Their armoral (sic) bearings, as given by Reitstap, are "D'pr, a trois losanges de gules; Casque braque de gules." In documentary history of New York (Vol. II, Colonial Documents) is an account, giving some interesting glimpses of passing events, in connection with the sailing and arrival of the "Frouw," June 13, 1662. Vice-Chancellor Van Vliet and Gen. Stewart Van Vliet, both of whom have gained some considerable prominence in military life, were among the descendants of Adrian Gerritson Van Vliet. Elmer Van Vliet attended the common schools and was graduated from Fort Edward Collegiate Institute in 1862. His first business venture was in the mercantile business, which he continued for a number of years, subsequently moving to Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and engaging in the furniture business, under the firm name of Herrick & Van Vliet; selling out his interest in the business to Mr. Herrick, he came to Hudson, N. Y., May 1, 1887, and engaged in his present undertaking business, in which he employs the most modern and scientific methods. Mr. Van Vliet has succeeded in building up a good business, through prompt attention to his calling and unostentatious courtesy and the finest skill, and merits the success he has attained. He married Mary Emily, daughter of Mary C. and the late James M. Allen, and has two children: Mary Ethel, born May 23, 1889, and Raymond Cornelius, born February 3, 1894.
VEDDER, George, W., M. D., was born in Chatham Center, N. Y., October 14, 1861, a son of Ransom H. Vedder, M. D. and Emily Leach, his wife. He received his early education in the public schools, studied a year in Poultney, Vt., and attended Wesleyan Academy at Wilbraham, Mass., two years, then returned to Chatham and read medicine in his father's office preparatory to entering the medical department of Columbia College in New York city, from which he was graduated on May 14, 1886. Dr. Vedder came to Philmont September 4, 1886, and opened an office in medicine and surgery, where he has remained ever since. He has always taken an active part in town affairs, and at the present time is chief of the Philmont fire department. He is a member of Hillsdale Lodge, No. 612, F. & A. M.; Cascade Lodge, No. 197, K. P.; R. A., 1,221, of Hudson, and Philmont Tent, No. 553, K. of M. On September 4, 1888, Dr. Vedder married Anna M. Damm, daughter of John and Julia (Gearing) Damm; they have one daughter, Charlotte F., born October 4, 1897.
Pages 250 & 251:
VEDDER, Nicholas S., p. o. Malden Bridge, N. Y., is a native of Columbia county, born January 28, 1833. His father was John M. Vedder, a native of Schoharie county, a carpenter and contracting builder, and who served as supervisor two years. He was married to Elizabeth Smith, and had three children: Nicholas S., Mynard M., and John H. Vedder. He died in 1890, and his wife in 1875. Nicholas Vedder was educated in the common schools and at Nassau Academy. After leaving school he engaged for a time in farming, and in 1871 settled at Malden Bridge in mercantile trade. He was appointed postmaster in 1886, and is a member of Union Lodge, No. 87, F. & A. M., of Schodack, N. Y. He was united in marriage with Catherine M. Smith.
VOSBURGH, Abram, was born in the town of Ghent, March 3, 1828, a son of William P. and Maria (Fredenburg) Vosburgh, who had eight children: Abram, Catherine (deceased), wife of Fred Mesick; Elizabeth, wife of Sylvester Garner; Benjamin F., Peter M. (deceased), Annie, wife of Jerry Garner; Agnes (deceased), wife of Theodore Jordan, and John (deceased). Peter I. Vosburgh, grandfather of Abram, was born in the town of Stuyvesant, where he was reared to manhood. During the Colonial struggle for independence he took an active part, faithfully discharging the duties of a captain. The sword he carried through the war and also the saber presented to him by the illustrious Lafayette, are now in possession of his grandson, by whom they are cherished and guarded as treasures. Mr. Vosburgh has also a certificate dated December 10, 1785, and signed by George Washington and John Knox, showing that Peter I. Vosburgh was a member of the association of Cincinnati, which was instituted by the surviving members of the American army. Abram Vosburgh was educated in the commons schools of the town of Ghent and Kinderhook Academy. Mr. Vosburgh is a man that is looked up to by all his neighbors and acquaintances. He has always taken an active part in town and county affairs and has held most all of the town offices. In 1872 he married Maria Dewey Dunspaugh. He and his wife are members of the Reformed church of the town of Ghent.