FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
Pages 367 & 368:
WADE, Edwin W., p. o. Chatham, N. Y., was born in Shelburne, Vt., May 7, 1853. His father, Rev. Richard T. Wade, was a native of Westport, Ireland, and emigrated to this country in 1837, settling in New Jersey, where he taught school four years. He read medicine for a time, but altered his intention and prepared himself for the ministry, and was admitted to the Troy Conference in April, 1841. He was engaged actively in his chosen work up to April, 1882, when he was placed upon the supernumerary list of the conference. He was twice married; his first wife was Eleanor Wakeman, who died in July, 1859, survived by a son a daughter, Edwin W. Wade and Mrs. Richard Peck. His second wife was Fanny R. Hamilton; she died March 19, 1892. Rev. Mr. Wade died March 5, 1883. Mr. Wade had been a preacher for more than fifty years, and he was honored and beloved by all who knew him. Edwin W. Wade received his education in the public schools and at Fort Edward Institute. After leaving school he went to New York city, where he spent four years in learning the watch making and jewelry business, after which he was, for a time, with the Harlem Gas Light Co. (now the Consolidated Gas Co.), his uncle, Burr Wakeman, being president of the company at that time. He spent a few years in the west, being in Deadwood during the gold excitement in the Black Hills, and was within twenty miles of Gen. Custer when he was killed on the Big Horn Creek. He returned east and in 1892 married Esther Feller, daughter of Henry Feller of Nevis, Columbia county, N. Y., and they have one son, Roland W., born June 10, 1893. In 1893 he came to Chatham, where he is engaged in the jewelry business, and is the leading jeweler of the town. Mr. Wade is an honorary member of the Harlem Yacht Club.
Pages 251 & 252:
WAGNER, Joseph B., was born in the town of Livingston, upon the farm where he now resides, a son of Henry and Mary Ann (Valentine) Wagner, who had two children: Endora, who died in 1865, and Joseph B. the subject. Henry was a son of Baltis and grandson of Peter, who settled in the town of Copake in 1778; he married Miss Lowne, and they had three daughters and one son. Baltis and his father, Peter, moved to the town of Livingston about 1810 and purchased the first soil farm that was bought in that town. The land previous to that time was leased. This land is still in possession of the family and is occupied by Edward B. Wagner. Baltis' children were Margaret, wife of Peter Moore; Jeremiah, who married Emma Bogart; Susan, wife of George Niver; Peter, married Maria Almstead; Catherine, wife of Nicholas Miller; Henry, who married Mary Ann Valentine, and John, married to Le June Gardner. The parents or ancestors of the elder Peter Wagner originally came from Holland and settled in Hessen Cassel, and their family name was Van Wagner, the Van having been dropped by the elder Peter during his early life in this country. The said Peter Wagner was born in Hessen Cassel, about the year 1757, and in 1777, when about twenty years of age, his family consisted of a widowed mother, two sisters and himself, the only son. He was a farmer and weaver by occupation and about that time, or during 1777, he, to avoid being compelled to serve in the army of his country, went to England, enlisted in the British service, and was sent to New York to serve in the Revolutionary war, and was stationed north of New York city, and at night he escaped from the British ranks on the ice and came north to Columbia county, where he made his home the remainder of his days. Joseph B. Wagner was born upon the easterly portion of the farm where he now resides, which portion was formerly known as the Rowe farm, which farm was afterward united with the McClelland farm, purchased by his father, Henry, in 1853. When Joseph was about three years of age he moved with his parents upon the McClelland farm, which comprises the westerly portion of the farm upon which he now resides. His early education was received in the common schools of the town of Livingston and his advanced education from Fort Edward Institute. In 1875 he acquired one-half interest in the farm with his father and was associated with him until his fathers' death in 1900. Mr. Wagner has been active in town and county affairs and in 1886 and 1887 was elected highway commissioner; he also represented his town on the board of supervisors from 1888 to 1891, inclusive for fours years.
Pages 252 & 253:
WAGONER, Adam E., p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y., was born in Claverack, N. Y., in 1845. Married Libbie Ostrom, of Saratoga county; they had one son, Kenneth, who died in 1892. Freeman E. Wagoner, of Kinderhook, N. Y., was born in Claverack, N.Y., in 1851. Adam and Freeman were sons of Erastus Wagoner and Hannah M. (Wolfe) Wagoner. Erastus was a native of Claverack and was through life a farmer; he died in 1897, and his wife in 1884. The brothers, Adam and Freeman, are representative citizens of Kinderhook, and have owned and lived upon the old President Van Buren home, "Lindenwald," since 1874.
WAGONER, Elmer S., p. o. Kinderhook, N. Y., was born in the town of Kinderhook, June 28, 1861, the only son of Sylvester and Sarah C. (Woolf) Wagoner. Sylvester Wagoner came from Martindale to Kinderhook in 1854, and was a farmer by occupation. Besides Elmer, Mr. and Mrs. Wagoner had one daughter, Sarah Adelaide Pultz. Mr. Wagoner died on October 17, 1899. Elmer S. Wagoner attended the district schools and Kinderhook Academy, and since leaving school has been engaged at farming. He married Ella d., daughter of G. T. Snyder, of Ghent; they have two children: Imogene and Hazel Pultz Wagoner.
WAGONER, Shadic, of Copake, was born in the town of Taghkanic, N. Y., September 4, 1860, only child of John and Annie (Shadic) Wagoner. John was a son of Peter and Maria (Simpson) Wagoner, all natives of Columbia county. Shadic Wagoner's mother died when he was an infant, and his father when he was four years old. He was reared by his grandparents, and, after obtaining a common school education, at the age of seventeen years began his own support. He purchased the farm of 164 acres where he now resides---a very attractive place on the shore of Copake Lake. He is an energetic man of good judgment and excellent character. He attends the West Copake Reformed church. In 1880 he was married to Maryette, daughter of Henry W. and Catherine (Bashford) Miller.
WALKER, Charles, of Chatham, N. Y., was born at Malden Bridge, N. Y., November 13, 1834. His father, Lewis Walker, was born at the same place in 1800, and was a hotel-keeper; he married Caroline Brockway, who bore him four children, Judith Ann, Lois Ann, Caroline B., and Charles. Mr. Walker died in 1842, and his wife Caroline in 1870. Charles Walker was educated in the public schools and at Nassau Academy. In 1851 he engaged in mercantile trade at Crescent, N. Y., and later went to Flushing, N. Y., in the same business. In 1859 he returned to Chatham and entered the grocery trade. He has been deputy sheriff seven years, and is now engaged in the real estate and building business in New York city. He married Anna, daughter of Alanson Brooks, and their children are Charles S., Frank B. and Eloise B.
Pages 253 & 254:
WALKER, William B., of Greenport, is a native of the town of Livingston, N. Y., where he was born, March 15, 1839. He is the son of Henry Walker, who was a native of a place called Mirfield, near Leeds, England, and came to America in 1832, to Brooklyn, N. Y., where he resided three years, and then moved to Columbia county, when he married Isabella Brown, of Philadelphia, who was formerly of Manchester, England. In the early period of his life he was engaged in cloth manufacturing, which he understood in all its branches; the latter period in Columbia county as flouring and grist miller, with a farm; he died in 1888, aged eighty-three years. William B. Walker obtained his education in the district schools and at Claverack Institute. After leaving school he learned the milling business with his father. After 1869 the business was conducted under the firm name of Walker Bros., the father having retired. In 1866 he was married to Mary Louisa Miller, who also was born March 15, 1839, daughter of Nicholas and Catherine Miller. In 1889 they purchased the place on which he now resides in Greenport, naming it the Greendale Farm.
Pages 368 & 369:
WASHBURN, Frank, of Livingston. --- Robert Washburn was born in the town of Clermont, N. Y., near Blue Store, February 6, 1819, a son of Caleb, who died March 8, 1846, and who was the father of four children, namely: Annie, Jane, Robert and William, all born in the town of Clermont. Annie became the wife of Morgan Lynk; Jane the wife of Peter Shutts; William was married to Frances Platner, and Robert made Margaret Miller his wife. The children of the latter were Charles, who was married to Jane Pinder; Reuben, married to Eliza Gott; William, married to Nellie Rosencrans; Edgar, married to Mary Wiltse; Delia, wife of Oscar Ford (deceased); Frank, married to Della Queen, and Philip. Mrs. Robert Washburn died, and he married, second, Cornelia A. Leroy, who bore him one child, Leroy Washburn, who was married to Mary Jackson. Robert's early life was spent at Blue Store, assisting his father in the conducting of his hotel and caring for his landed interests in Livingston and Clermont. Upon the death of his father (Caleb) the property was divided, and Robert's share was the farm in Clermont and some other interests. He followed farming until 1876. Upon the death of his son Reuben he removed to Washburn Dock, where he was interested in property which he purchased in 1869, consisting of a general freighting, shipping and merchandise business, where he remained until his death, February 12, 1898, since which time the business has been carried on by his sons Philip and Frank, who were actively interested in the business previous to the death of their father. Robert Washburn was given a common school education; he was a trustee of Clermont Academy many years, and served the town as supervisor. Frank Washburn, at the age of fourteen, entered the employ of Levi Leroy, where he remained two years, when he returned home, and attended school until he was eighteen, when he went to Washburn Dock, which was at the time the business was destroyed by fire, on May 2, 1872. When the store was rebuilt he took charge of the mercantile trade, and as the business was extended he had charge of he different branches. The members of the present firm are Edgar, Frank and Philip Washburn. Edgar is the salesman of farm produce in New York, and the foundry interest of Washburn & Co., at Catskill.
WASHBURN, Isaac C., M. D., was born in Northumberland, Saratoga county, N. Y. His father, George Washburn, was a native of Washington county, N. Y. He was of Scotch and English descent, and most of his life was spent in Saratoga county, where he died at the age of eighty-eight years. He served his town as supervisor for several years; was justice of sessions for twelve years, and held the office of justice of peace for forty or more consecutive years. In 1844 he married his second wife, Frances Viele, daughter of Platt C. and Phoebe Viele, who were both Hollanders. Six children were born to them: Archibald S., David, Isaac C., Platt V., Phoebe B., and Mary, four of whom are living, David and Mary dying in childhood. Isaac C. Washburn received his education in Schuylerville High School and Oberlin, Ohio, where he spent two years. He was a student of the late Prof. Jacob S. Masher, M. D., Ph. D., of Albany, N. Y., for four years. Took a three years' course in the Albany Medical College, where he graduated. He came to Chatham, N. Y., in 1882, where he has practiced medicine ever since. He served the village of Chatham as trustee for four years and president one year; is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a Knight of Pythias. In 1885 he married Carrie M. Barnes, daughter of the late Wright H. Barnes, M. D., and Henrietta Barnes. They have one child, Wright Barnes Washburn.
Pages 254 & 255:
WASS, Allen S., of Austerlitz, was born at Stephentown, Rensselaer county, N. Y., May 19, 1828, and educated in the public schools. He learned the trade of cabinet-maker at Pittsfield, Mass., and then went to Hudson, N.Y. He remained there five years, was in Pittsfield eleven years, when he went to New York, where he accepted the position of superintendent in the Cavanaugh & Decker Billiard Table Mfg. Co., which position he held eight years. From there he went to Bloomfield, N. J., as foreman in a cabinet organ factory, and for twenty years was foreman in the woodwork department of the Domestic Sewing Machine Company. He then moved to Spencertown and purchased the farm on which he now resides. September 12, 1850, Mr Wass married Zada White, who died in December, 1853; September 15, 1856, he married Helen P. Lawrence, who died in December, 1886; and on January 2, 1890, he married his present wife, Elizabeth Snyder, of Hillsdale. Mr. Wass has one daughter by his second wife, Nellie May, born in Pittsfield, Mass., in 1859, and wife of Walter Spaulding, of Bloomfield, N. J., who is at present engaged in the dry goods business in New York. Mr. Wass' parents were Allen and Harriet (Ford) Wass. Allen was born in Norwich, Conn., and was a practicing physician at West Lebanon and Nassau, N. Y. Mrs. Wass was born at Westerlo, Albany county, N. Y. They had five children: Sylvester, Catherine, Harriet, Allen A. and Elizabeth; two now living, Allen A. and Elizabeth.
WASHBURN, William, was born at Blue Store, April 16, 1845, a son of Robert and Margaret (Miller) Washburn. When nine years old his parents moved to the town of Clermont and settled on the Washburn homestead, which is located about one-half mile north of Clermont village. Mr. Washburn was educated in the common schools of the town of Livingston and Clermont and at Hudson Commercial College and Springfield Commercial College, at Springfield, Mass. When twenty-two years of age he entered the employ of D. & R. Miller, afterward Washburn & Co., at Linlithgo, N. Y., where he remained about six years, then moved to the State of Georgia, locating near Madison, where he remained sixteen years, engaged in general merchandise business, and then returned to the old homestead in Clermont. Mr. Washburn married Nellie, daughter of John N. Rosencrance, who bore him six children, four now living: Reuben, Charles, Albert and Leola. Mr. Washburn is interested in town and county affairs and at the present time is serving as one of the assessors of the town, which office he has held for the past six years. He has also been connected with the school in his district as trustee; is a member of the Manor church and at the present time is one of its elders. He has been superintendent of the Clermont Sunday school for five years and at the present time is assistant superintendent.
WEAVER, Leander H., of Hudson, is a native of the town of Livingston, Columbia county, N. Y., where he was born on October 17, 1867, a son of Robert A. and Margaret (Duntz) Weaver. Robert A. died in 1893. Leander H. Weaver, after obtaining a common school education, served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, and in 1888 came to Hudson, where he has since been engaged in business. Many of the modern private residences and some of the public buildings of Hudson attest his ability and honest workmanship, and he bears among his business associates the reputation of being all things honest, trustworthy and faithful to his obligations. He is endowed with a fund of good common sense, and his judgment is rarely at fault. He has served as president of the board of trustees of St. John's Lutheran church. In 1889 he was united in marriage with Anna May, daughter of Charles A. Hallenbeck. One daughter has been born to them, Florence May.
Pages 255 & 256:
WEBSTER, Constant, p. o. Rider's Mills, N. Y., was born in the town of New Lebanon, N. Y., September 10, 1848. His father, Aurelius Webster, was a native of Rensselaer county, N. Y., a farmer, justice of the peace a number of years, and superintendent of schools; he married Elsie, daughter of George Brockway, and they had the following children: Nelson Marcus (deceased), Gilbert, died while in the military service in 1865; Chloe J. (Webster) Gale, of Pittsfield, Mass.; Marcia (deceased), George A., of Illinois; Martha A., died in 1874; Constant, Charles B., and Frank I., of Turner's Falls, Mass. Aurelius Webster died in 1866, and his widow in 1870. Constant Webster was educated in the commons schools, and after leaving school spent two years in the West; returning East, he engaged in farming, which occupation he since has followed. In 1893 he was elected commissioner of highways and is still an incumbent of that office, and is a member of Gratitude Lodge, No. 674, F. & A. M., of Nassau. He was married to Mary L., daughter of Harvey P. Hayes, of East Nassau; their children are Charles, of Malden Bridge (he married Nina Rouse, and their children are Grace and Mary), Hattie E., who stands high as a school teacher, and George B.
Pages 369 & 370:
WEED, Darius, of Copake, was born in Pound Ridge, Westchester county, N. Y., November 25, 1830, son of Willard and Teressa (Sanders) Weed, whose children were Mary Jane, John, Jared, and David. Willard Weed married, second, Catherine Platt, by whom he had two children, John P. and Catherine. Darius Weed was educated in Westchester county, and at the age of fifteen years began working at the carpenter trade, and as carpenter and builder was engaged until he was twenty-six years old, when he and his brother, Jared removed to Spencertown, N. Y., and purchased a farm; after four years he sold his interest to his brother and went to Chatham, N. Y., remaining there one year, and removing thence to Hillsdale, where he followed farming for eleven years, when he removed to Copake and was engaged in teaming several years. His next business venture was in mercantile trade at Copake Iron Works, where he remained until 1884, when he purchased the farm he now occupies, containing 200 acres, devoted to dairying. He has sixty-two head of cattle and delivers more milk to the creamery than any other dairyman in Copake or Hillsdale. He has been assessor in Copake, and a man respected and trusted by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. November 24, 1850, he was married to Lucretia, daughter of James and Lydia Dann; they have three children: Frances E., Herbert L., and Ernest.
Pages 256 & 257:
WEEKS, Benedict A., a resident physician of Linlithgo, in the town of Livingston, N. Y., has been engaged in active practice since 1871. He was born in Starkville, Herkimer county, N. Y., March 17, 1836, and on the paternal side is of Scotch extraction. The progenitor of the family in America ws Levi Weeks, the doctor's great-grandfather, who came with two brothers from Aberdeen, Scotland, and settled on Long Island; he was a farmer, and remained in that vicinity until his death. His two brothers were ship-carpenters. The elder Levi had a son Levi, whose youth was spent on Long Island; he subsequently removed to Montgomery county, N. Y., where he carried on a mercantile business; his last days were spent with his son, Levi, 3d, who was born in Montgomery county, and brought up in the mercantile trade with his father; the latter subsequently removed to Amsterdam and engaged in farming, and later removed to Starkville, in Herkimer county, where he died in 1890, aged ninety-one years. Levi Weeks, 3d, was married to Jane, daughter of Isaac Hollenbeck, a native of Starkville; they had twelve children, as follows: Louisa, Jane, Anna, John, Albert, Hiram (all deceased), David, Dr. B. A., Solomon, Willard, Marion, Laura and Maria. Dr. Weeks remained at home on the farm until he was eighteen years old. He attended Charlotteville Seminary and Fort Plain Institute, and obtained his professional education at Hobart College, from which he was graduated in 1861. He began practice in Orleans county, N. Y., later removed to Mt. Upton, Chenango county, N. Y., thence to Starkville, and from there to Livingston. In 1862 he was married to Hellen, daughter of Robert Morrison; they had one daughter, Hattie M., who was married to Henry Hapeman, whose children are Genevieve J. and Arnold W. Mrs. Weeks died, and Dr. Weeks married, second, Veronica, daughter of William and Hannah (Valentine) Hover. Dr. Weeks is a member of the County Medical Society of Chenango county, and an Odd Fellow, a member of Holly Lodge.
Pages 370 & 371:
WESTLAKE, H. G., M. D., was born in Winsted, Conn., February 9, 1828, a son of Thomas Westlake, born in Newburgh, N. Y., and Sophia Goodwin, his wife, born in New Hartford, Conn., who were married in 1817. They had three children, of which Dr. H. G. Westlake was the youngest. Dr. Westlake received his early education in the academy of the town and finished his professional course at the medical department of New York University in March, 1850, receiving his diploma at that time. He began his practice in Hillsdale in October, 1850, which practice he has maintained to the present day. He was married April 15, 1851, to Henrietta Foster, daughter of Seymour and Madeline (Truesdale) Foster, of Hillsdale. They have had one child, Henrietta F., born March 3, 1854, died February, 1898. The father of Dr. Westlake was engaged in the manufacture of refined iron. The mother of Mrs. Dr. Westlake came from a line of farmers, her grandfather being one of the earliest settlers of Hillsdale, being identified with the farming industry of this section between 1770 and 1780. Dr. Westlake, at the present time, owns part of the land on which Mrs. Westlake's grandfather made the original settlement. Dr. Westlake has been in continuous practice of his profession in Hillsdale for over fifty years and had held longest continuous practice in one place of any physician in the county.
Pages 371 & 372:
WHEELER, John Thorne, the only son of Joseph Thorne Wheeler and Mary Ann Backus, was born in Albany, December 30, 1850. The Wheeler family was of English descent. William Wheeler, the grandfather of John Thorne Wheeler, was born and lived in Dutchess county, and afterward lived in Westerlo, Albany county, where Joseph Thorne Wheeler was born. Later William Wheeler came to Chatham, where he died in 1850. His wife, Martha Thorne, daughter of Joseph Thorne, was born in Dutchess county, and was likewise of English descent, the Thornes tracing their lineage directly to Governor John Winthrop, and also to John Bowne of Long Island. Mary A. Backus, the daughter of Harry and Philena Backus, was born in Chatham and came of New England stock, the father having come from the vicinity of Norwich, Conn., early in the century. The mother, Philena Patrick, was the daughter of Andrew Patrick, of Lebanon, N. Y., who emigrated from Connecticut about 1790, and here, evidently, comes in a strain of Irish blood. The father of John Thorne Wheeler was an inventor and a practical mechanic, and was associated with his brothers in the firm of Wheeler, Melick & Co., in Albany, in the manufacture of agricultural machines. The Wheelers were known quite generally among farmers throughout the county as the original inventors of the railway horse power and of threshing and winnowing machinery. He moved with his family to Chatham in 1856. John T., after serving a year as clerk in the Columbia Bank at Chatham, fitted for college (1866-1869), at Claverack and Amenia, graduating from the latter with valedictory honors. He entered Yale in the class of 1873, but his study was interrupted by ill health, and he completed his course at Cornell. He was a member of the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity. He graduated in medicine from the Bellevue Hospital Medial College, New York city, in 1876, with some hospital experience in Albany as assistant city physician. He located in Chatham and has practiced his profession there ever since. The only interruptions have been three winters spent in study in New York city and a short time abroad. He has given some special attention to diseases of the eye. He is a member of the Columbia County Medical Society, the Medical Society of the State of New York, the New York State Medical Association, the American Medical Association. He is at present president of the Second Division of the State Medical Association, including in its territory eleven counties. He is a frequent contributor of scientific papers to these societies and occasionally to journals. A paper read before the State Society in 1898, giving twenty-three years' experience in cold water bathing in typhoid fever attracted considerable favorable comment. Dr. Wheeler was married in 1881 to Gertrude Lake of Chatham, and they have one son. He is a Mason, a member of the Cornell and Aldine Clubs of New York city, and is vice-president of the State Bank of Chatham, N. Y. He has been a member of the Chatham board of education for twenty years, and neither tires nor loses interest in the development of the Union School, the academy and the public library. He has never held any other public office.
WHITBECK, Charles, was born in Hudson, N. Y., April 3, 1848, son of Volkert Whitbeck, and grandson of John, who was a descendant of Peter Whitbeck, one of the pioneers of Claverack. Volkert Whitbeck was married to Caroline, daughter of Jacob Rockefeller; for fifty years he was a leading physician of the county, and a man whose service and advice was never withheld in any movement for the advancement of the best interest of the city or its people; he died universally honored and mourned, leaving an enviable record, not only as a physician, but as an upright, manly citizen. Charles Whitbeck was educated in Hudson and early became interested in the insurance business, in which he continued for twelve years. In 1879 he was elected county clerk of Columbia county, and at the expiration of his three-year term he began the manufacture of iron bridges in his native town. Since 1897 he has been engaged in the manufacture of underwear in the village of Athens. Mr. Whitbeck ranks high among the business men of Hudson, no word having been uttered against his honesty, conscientiousness, or gentlemanly attributes. He is awake to the good interests of his native city, and may be found shoulder to shoulder with those on the side of progress, morality and the public good. In 1874 Mr. Whitbeck was married to Margaret, the daughter of Hon. George H. Power. They have two sons: George P. and Sherwood V., and one daughter, Katharine P.
Pages 257 & 258:
WHITBECK, Capt. John V., of Hudson, was born in Rhinebeck, N. Y., April 8, 1838. He is descended form John Thomase Whitbeck (1), born at Whitbeck, Holstein, who was an early settler of Albany. His wife was Margaret Gertrury Andriess Douchester, born in New Amsterdam. From 1652, when Beaverwyck (now Albany) was laid out, to 1678, he was the largest dealer in house-lots in the village; in 1664, in company with Volkert Jans Dow, he bought the islands (from the Indians) on the Schodack side of the river, and the main land opposite thereto. He had five sons and one daughter. His grandson, Volkert Whitbeck (3), of Red Hook, was born about 1720, and died in 1802. He held a commission as lieutenant in Capt. Hoffman's company, dated February 27, 1757, and signed by Henry Livingston, county clerk of Dutchess county. John Whitbeck (4), son of John, of Claverack, was married to Maria Decker. He was a major in the War of 1812. Volkert Whitbeck, M. D. (5), son of John, of Claverack, was born in 1802, and married to Caroline, daughter of Jacob and Gertrude (Schermerhorn) Rockefeller. He was a graduate of the Medical School at Pittsfield, Mass. He practiced medicine in Hudson for many years, establishing for himself the reputation of being not only the "good physician," but also that of an exemplary citizen of sound common sense and excellent judgment. He died at the age of eighty-six. His children were Jacob R., Ansel McK., John V., Volkert, Ellogene, Charles, and Gertrude R. John V. Whitbeck was educated in the schools of Hudson and was graduated from the law department of the Albany University (the Albany Law School) in 1859, and, after being admitted to the bar, began practice in Hudson. In 1862 he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-eighth New York Volunteer Infantry, being commissioned second lieutenant and receiving promotion to the rank of captain. He participated in the siege of Port Hudson and in several other engagements, in the Departments of the Gulf, being detailed for staff duty on the staff of Gen. Banks at New Orleans, La., and was honorably discharged in August, 1864. Returning to Hudson he gathered up the broken threads of his interrupted law practice, and for forty years he has stood in the front ranks of the legal profession in Columbia county. For several years he served as clerk of the board of supervisors, and four years was city judge; in 1895 he was elected surrogate for a term of six years. In all these official positions Mr. Whitbeck's record is unstained, and his course has been characterized by courteous dignity, unfailing geniality and unquestioned integrity. In 1868 Mr. Whitbeck was married to Harriet A., daughter of Henry and Antoinette (Vedder) Ham. They have two sons and two daughters: Harry H., John V., Jr., Mrs. Antoinette V. Benedict, and Miss Ellogene R. Whitbeck.
Pages 258 & 260:
WHITBECK, Capt. Volkert, was born in Hudson, November 28, 1840. He is descended from John Thomase Whitbeck (1), born at Whitbeck, Holstein, who was an early settler of Albany. His wife was Margaret Gertrury Andriess Douchester, born in New Amsterdam. From 1652, when Beaverwyck (now Albany) was laid out, to 1678, he was the largest dealer in house-lots in the village; in 1664, in company with Volkert Jans Dow, he bought the islands (from the Indians) on the Schodack side of the river, and the main land opposite thereto. He had five sons and one daughter. His grandson, Volkert Whitbeck (3), of Red Hook, was born about 1720, and died in 1802. He held a commission as lieutenant in Capt. Hoffman's company, dated February 27, 1757, and signed by Henry Livingston, county clerk of Dutchess county. John Whitbeck (4), son of John, of Claverack, was married to Maria Decker. He was a major in the War of 1812. Volkert Whitbeck, M. D. (5), son of John, of Claverack, was born in 1802, and married to Caroline, daughter of Jacob and Gertrude (Schermerhorn) Rockefeller. He was a graduate of the Medical School at Pittsfield, Mass. He practiced medicine in Hudson for many years, establishing for himself the reputation of being not only the "good physician, " but also that of an exemplary citizen of sound common sense and excellent judgment. He died at the age of eighty-six. His children were Jacob R., Ansel McK., John V., Volkert, Ellogene, Charles, and Gertrude R. Capt. Volkert Whitbeck was educated in the schools of Hudson, and was approaching his majority when the first guns of the Civil War were fired. He promptly enlisted as a private in Company K, Fourteenth Regiment of New York Infantry, and served faithfully through his term, and receiving promotion that gave him the sergeant's strips. He was discharged in 1863 with his regiment and returned to Hudson, where he found employment in the photograph business of Frank Forshew, a business which he ultimately purchased, and has ever since successfully conducted. Capt. Whitbeck was one of the organizers of the Cowles Guard, twenty-third Separate Company, was chosen lieutenant and afterward was promoted to captain of the company. He is a member of Hudson Lodge, F. & A. M. , No 7, and and of Hudson Chapter.
Pages 373 & 374:
WHITBECK, James F., of Taghkanic, was born in the village of Claverack, February 12, 1828, son of Jacob and Nancy (Miller) Whitbeck, the parents of eight children, as follows: Doratha, wife of Henry H. Brown; Cornelius, John, Mary, Henry M., Rachel, wife of Rev. William Ostrander; Harman B. and James F. James F. Whitbeck was educated in Claverack Academy, and when twelve years of age entered the employ of John Van Deusen as clerk in the general mercantile store at Johnstown, where he remained five years. He then entered the employ of Henry A. Dubois, who purchased the store and was with him three years; he was next employed by his brother Cornelius, who ran a general store at Taghkanic, remaining with him three years, when he purchased the farm where he now resides, which contains 214 acres. He has purchased land from time to time until now he own 800 acres and follows stock raising, making a specialty of fine horses and Jersey cattle. Mr. Whitbeck contributes liberally to the different churches. His father was an active worker in the Dutch Reformed church at Claverack and was one of its elders many years.
Pages 374 & 375:
WHITING, Henry Carter, of Canaan, was born there July 6, 1876, and married Clara A. Hopkins, of the same town, March 14, 1900. His father, William Whiting, was born in 1846, and married Emma L. Blinn, of Canaan, in 1875. His grandfather Henry J. Whiting, was born in 1816 and died in 1883. He was a brother of Rev. George B. Whiting, missionary to Syria from 1830 to 1855. Henry J. married in 1845 Alida R. Warner, daughter of Col. Daniel Warner, of Canaan, formerly a soldier in the Revolutionary War, whose continental uniform is now in the possession of Mr. Henry Carter Whiting at his home in Canaan. Through a previous matrimonial alliance between the Whiting and Warner families, both Henry J. Whiting and Alida, his wife, were equally related to the distinguished authoresses, Susan and Anna Warner, of "Wide, Wide World" and "Queechy" celebrity, Abigail, sister of John Whiting, and Jason, brother of Daniel Warner, being their grandparents. Henry J.' s father was John Whiting, born in 1764, and died in 1844, who married, first, Lydia Leffingwell and, second, Ruah Aylsworth. He filled the offices of supervisor, member of Assembly, and county judge, and was also captain of cavalry. His father was William Bradford Whiting, born in 1731, died 1796, who came from Norwich, Conn., having married Amy Lathrop in 1757, and settled at Canaan in 1765, near Whiting's Pond, from whom it took its name---which was afterward changed to Queechy Lake in honor of the book written by Miss Susan Warner. He built, about 1775, just below the lake, the first grist mill ever erected in this town, which, stored with grain belonging to the government, was burned by the Tories during the war. It was afterward rebuilt, and now, in its ruined condition, is a well known landmark. Mr. Whiting served as colonel in the Revolutionary Army, commanding a regiment of militia during the whole war, and was present at the battle of Saratoga and the surrender of Gen. Burgoyne. He was State Senator for twenty years, and also county judge. His father, Charles Whiting, of Montville, Conn., born 1692, died 1738, married Elizabeth Bradford, a direct descendant of Gov. Bradford of the Plymouth Colony. His father, William Whiting, of Hartford, Conn., was born 1659, married Mary Allyas, granddaughter of William Pynchon, who came to America in 1730 with governor Winthrop, and was treasurer of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay. William Whiting was a representative to the general court from 1710-1715, Speaker of the House in 1714, served in the old France War as captain, colonel and major, commanded troops at Port Royal in 1710 and in the expedition against Canada in 1711. His father, Rev. John Whiting, born 1635, died before 1700, married Sybil, daughter of Deacon Edward Collins, of Cambridge, Mass., and, after her death, Phoebe Greyson. He was a graduate of Harvard College, a tutor in the college, member of Assembly, pastor of the First Congregational church of Hartford in 1660, and chaplain of the troops in King Philip's War in 1675. He was the son of William Whiting, who married Susanna ----------; a merchant, who had been engaged in a patent for lands at Swampscott with Lord Say and Lord Brook. He came from England about 1633 and settled at Hartford in 1636. He served as a member of the First House of Representatives in 1641, was assistant and treasurer of the Colony of Connecticut from 1643 to 1647, and was called "Major" at the time of his death in 1647.