FACTORS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY HISTORY
Columbia County at the End of the Century
Published and Edited Under the Auspices of the Hudson Gazette
The Record Printing and Publishing Co.
Hudson, New York
M C M (1900)
These biographies in Part III begin after page 132 of Volume II beginning with page 3.
Abbreviations used: p. o. = post office
YAGER, Abram, was born in the town of Clermont, September 24, 1858, a son of Jacob and Margaret (Potts) Yager, who had seven children, as follows: Kittie (deceased), Howard (deceased), Lillian, wife of Charles Rockefeller; Nathan J., married Nettie, daughter of Frederick Lasher; Maryetta, Crawford (deceased), and Abram, all natives of Columbia county. Jacob Yager was a son of Adam and Catherine Yager, and their children were Alexander, Harry, Jeremiah, Fite, Jacob, Louisa, Sally, and Serena. Alexander and Jacob, in their early life, followed boating on the Hudson river and New York harbor, but the latter part of their lives was spent in farming. Abram Yager was associated with his parents until sixteen years of age, when his father died, and he and his mother took charge of his father's estate. He conducted the home farm until twenty-two years of age, then purchased the estate, which included the farm where he now resides. When thirty years of age he married Carrie, daughter of James C. Fingar, and they have three children: Byron J., Clarence Victor, and Edith M., all born on the farm where Mr. Yager now resides. Mr. Yager takes an active part in town and county affairs and was elected assessor in 1898. He is also interested in school and educational work and the family have all taken an active part in church work, Mr. Yager having served as one of the officers of the Dutch Reformed church for many years.
YEISLEY, Rev. George C., D. D., of Hudson, was born in Baltimore, Md., on January 21, 1849. His ancestors were among the early settlers of the colonies of Maryland and Pennsylvania. George C. Yeisley received his preparatory education in his native city, and at the age of sixteen was graduated from Baltimore City College. Entering Princeton College, he was graduated therefrom with honors, receiving the belles-lettres oration as his commencement appointment. After completing his university course, he spent a year in Europe and the West. He then pursued a course at Princeton Theological Seminary, and upon his graduation received a call from the Presbyterian church of Baltimore. He was installed pastor of the Presbyterian church of Hudson on December 30, 1875. The degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him by his alma mater, and also the degree of Doctor of Divinity in 1890. He is a member of the American Academy of Social and Political Science of Philadelphia, of the American Institute of Christian Philosophy, of the University and Princeton Clubs of New York city, and of various literary and benevolent associations. Rev. George C. Yeisley has now served as pastor of the Presbyterian church a quarter of a century and has been the active factor in its growth and prosperity. A man of unusual ability, with a broad intellect and superior education, the church is fortunate in its possession of his services. Much might be said of him and his work, of which he is truly worthy, but a man of his character is averse to praise publicly spoken, even if he feels himself deserving of it; therefore, let his works speak for him. In 1879 Dr. Yeisley was united in marriage with Catherine Bushnell, daughter of Hon. John Gaul, Jr.
Pages 274 & 275:
YORCK, Otto, of Claverack, was born in Germany, August 20, 1847, and educated in the schools of his native land. He remained at home until twenty-five years of age, and in 1872 came to America, locating first in Long Island, where he worked on a farm. This was not to his liking, however, and in a short time he located in Brooklyn and engaged in the butcher's trade. After staying there a short time he started up the Hudson river and landed at Hudson and settled in Mellenville, going to work for Harvey W. Rogers in the paper-mill, and from there went to work for the railroad, helping to lay the double track in the city of Hudson. He next went to Hillsdale and tried the butcher's business there, but soon returned to Hudson and worked for Mr. Fitzgerald, who had one of the sewer contracts there; he helped on the Fifth street sewer. He worked for Ed. Blake and Joe Fox, and then returned to his old place in Hillsdale and engaged in the meat business again at the Red Mill, starting in with a capital of $43, and has continued the business since that time; he is also proprietor of the Union Hotel at Hollowville. On November 29, 1876, Mr. Yorck married Mary Young, daughter of Christopher and Catherine Young; they have one son, Christopher A. Yorck, born September 18, 1877.
YOUNG, Charles, of Claverack, a son of John and Mary Young, of Claverack, was born June 22, 1862, and educated in the village school. In 1884 Mr. Young married Edith M. Niver, daughter of William E. Niver, of Claverack; they have eight children: Chester, Harold, Russell, Minnie, Mattie, Myrtle, Mabel, and Ruth.
Pages 275 and 276:
YOUNG, Jacob, was born January 16, 1846, son of Christopher and Catherine Young, and one of a family of six children that are all living at this date. He received a common-school education and was obliged to help on the farm, as most boys of that age did. Upon the death of his father on September 8, 1898, Mr. Young bought the home farm from the heirs, consisting of 180 acres, and has managed the farm since. He makes a business of general farming, stock and fruit-raising. His mother died February 22, 1893. Mr. Young has never married.