By Capt. Franklin Ellis241
This church was organized in 1854, and was then connected with Copake church. Preliminary meetings were held at the school-house by Rev. Alexander H. Ferguson, then of Pine Plains.
The church edifice was erected in 1855 by Henry Scism, and cost about $2500. In 1867 or 1868 an addition of fifteen feet was made in the rear of the church.
The first parsonage was located at the north corners, and was a gift from Arthur McArthur. It cost $1100, and was sold five or six years since to Mrs. Thomas Scutt. The society then purchased the present parsonage adjoining the church, and fitted it for occupancy at a total cost of about $1500. The entire church property is now valued at $4000. The church was dedicated by and named after Bishop Janes. He once taught school here, and while attending a protracted meeting held at the school-house was converted, and at once turned his attention to the work of preparing himself for the ministry. The pastors have been Rev. R. S. Amerman, Thomas Ellis, Edward Ashton, Hiram Lamont, Abram Davis, Benjamin H. Burch, Edward Ashton, James Burch, J. H. Michell, S. P. Gallaway, and Rev. Adee Vail, the present pastor.
The first trustees were elected at a meeting held May 2, 1855, and were Henry Hoysradt, Freeland McDaniel, William Belcher, John Van Benschoten, Edward H. Sheldon, Andrew Scott, and Isaac Miller.
The present member ship is one hundred and twenty, and there are in addition to that number nine probationers.
The Sabbath-school, which has existed since the organization of the church, now numbers about eighty members, and has a library on one hundred and fifty volumes. The officers are John Porter, superintendent; John Roraback, assistant superintendent; Jane M. Rossman, secretary; Leila Simpson, treasurer; Mrs. M. Loomis, librarian.