Hill Henry Hill is a son of Caleb Hill, who was identified with many of
the principal improvements in North Chatham, being a man of great personal
energy and activity. He removed from the town of Dover, Dutchess Co., N.
Y., and settled at North Chatham before there was any village at that
point known by its present name. He built a tannery and followed tanning,
currying, and shoemaking, adding also to this occupation that of a farmer,
having purchased seventy acres of land where the village now stands. He
procured the establishment of a post-office as early as 1816, and later
erected a hotel, which is still one of the old landmarks of the place.
After his removal from Dutchess county, Mr. Hill married Eunice Moore, of
Chatham, by whom he had four children who arrived at years of maturity and
who are still living, of whom Henry Hill, the subject of this notice is
brought up to work on the farm and in the tannery, and was a handy and
industrious boy, improving his time and making the best use of his
opportunities for schooling. At the age of eighteen he became identified
with the affairs of the hotel, which he continued to manage about thirty
years after his father's death. After this event, which occurred December
17, 1832, the management of the estate and care of the family devolved
upon Henry, who, by his characteristic energy and successful business
qualifications, greatly improved and increased the value of the property
left to him and the rest of the heirs. His father had been postmaster from
the time of the establishment of the office till his death; after which
Henry was his successor for about fifteen years.
married for his first wife, Parmelia Hunt, daughter of Daniel Hunt, of
Windham Centre, Greene Co., N.Y., May 22, 1850, and by this marriage had
two children, both deceased. Mrs. Hill died April 16, 1854. On the 31st of
August, 1868, he married his second and present wife in New York city,
Mrs. Elizabeth Van Salisbury, whose portrait appears by the side of her
husbandry in the above engravings.