Townsend Powell, son of James and Martha Powell, was
born at Clinton, Dutchess Co., N. Y., August 23, 1807. He lived at the
homestead, early assuming the care of the farm, until the year 1845, when he
removed to Ghent, Columbia Co., where he now resides. He has devoted
himself to the careful cultivation and improvement of his farm, and has also
entered largely into local improvements, for many years taking an active
interest in the public school.
His wife, Catharine Macy, daughter of Abram and
Elizabeth Macy, was of Nantucket ancestry. She was an enthusiastic
lover of flowers, and cultivated them with great success. She died
Feb. 10, 1877, but the home still bears the evidences of her zeal in making
it attractive and beautiful.
Their oldest son, Aaron M. Powell, was born at
Clinton, in 1832. At the age of eighteen he became interested in the
anti-slavery cause, and from that time until the proclamation of
emancipation gave his best efforts to secure the abolition of slavery in the
United States. He was editor of the National Anti-Slavery Standard
from 1866. He has since devoted himself to the temperance cause,
having been for several years the associate editor of the National
Temperance Advocate, published in New York. He has also been an
advocate of woman's suffrage, and in 1872 went as a delegate to the
International Prison Congress held in London, and in 1877 attended the
International Congress held at Geneva, Switzerland, to promote the abolition
of State-regulated vice. In 1864 he married Anna Rice, of Worcester,
Their daughter, Elizabeth M. Powell, was born in
Clinton in 1841; graduated at the State Normal School, at Albany, was
subsequently a teacher, and was connected in that capacity with Vassar
College, at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. During the year 1871 she was
associated with Charles C. Burleigh in the care of the Free Congregational
Society, of Florence, Mass. In 1872 she was married to Henry H. Bond,
a lawyer, residing in Florence.
The son, George T. Powell, born in Clinton, in 1843,
and his wife, Maria Chace, of Claverack, have charge of the farm. He
is especially interested in the culture of fruit, and has flourishing
orchards of apples, pears, cherries, and peaches. He shares the
various public interests of the town, acting as president of the Farmers'
Club of the Columbia County Agricultural Society, as editor of the
agricultural department of the Chatham Courier, as trustee of the
public school, and superintendent of the Friends' Sabbath-school. In
the year 1877 he was elected president of the Columbia County Teachers'