By Capt. Franklin Ellis328
The Friends' Meeting of Rayville was established about 1777, and was composed of members from the Finch, Reynolds, Wilbor, Mosher, Coffin, Swain, and Barnard families. Later the Ray, Gardner, Smith and Cornell families were added to the meeting. A house of worship was built about 1800, by Palmer Homes, in which semi-weekly meetings have since been held, generally with silent worship. The meeting at present numbers about forty members.
An North Chatham was formerly a flourishing Baptist society, which erected a meeting-house in the village; but the society became so feeble years ago that the services were discontinued, and occasional meetings only held. The house has lately been used for the services of the Congregational and other churches, but no regular organization has been effected.
These Beautiful Graphics Designed by: