By Capt. Franklin Ellis306
Rayville is a hamlet of a dozen houses, in the northeastern part of the town, a mile from Rayville station, on the Extension railroad. In early times it had an active business, but is now simply a country trading-point. Among the early settlers may be named the Reynolds and Finch families, Obdiah Wilbor, Noah Ashley, the Gardners, and the Browns. In 1800, Francis Ray became one of he prominent citizens of the hamlet, and from him the place has taken its name. A son, David Ray, was born at this place, and is now one of the oldest and foremost citizens of the hamlet.
One of the first to engage in merchandising here was Horatio Gates Spafford, who afterwards became a distinguished author, some time about 1805. After him came Cornell and Wilbor. David Ray has been in trade since 1827. Formerly a good many mechanic shops were here, and a large quantity of velveteen was manufactured by the early settlers. A Friends' meeting-house is at Rayville.
The station was first known as Rider's Mills, but received the name of Rayville, four years ago, as being more appropriate. The post-office is know as Green Brook, and has Philander Reynolds as postmaster. The place contains but a few houses.
These Beautiful Graphics Designed by: