THE SECRET ORDERS
By Capt. Franklin Ellis318
The Secret Orders of the town have embraced the following societies:
CANAAN LODGE, NO 44, F. & A. M,
was instituted at New Concord, March 26, 1796. Among the petitioners for a charter were John Noyes, Alexander Smith, Palmer Cady, Nathan Noyes, Patrick Hamilton, John Stranahan, Gershom Babcock, Eleazer Davis, Silas Pratts, Joseph Kellog, L. Stone, M. Butler, Amasa Adams, H. Hobart, Jonathan Ball, F. Luck, Peter Savage, John Camp, Samuel Anable, Hezekiah Hulburt Zebulon Douglas, and Benjamin Lord. The lodge ceased to work in 1827.
CHARITY LODGE, NO. 192,
of the same order, was organized at Spencerport in 1808, and had a very flourishing existence until the anti-Masonic times, when it also went down.
The remaining interest of these lodges were united, in 1844, in the formation of Eureka Lodge at Chatham Four Corners. This society gave place in 1851 to the present
COLUMBIA LODGE, NO. 98,
Its charter members were Samuel P. Lee, John H. Mesick, Harry S. Clark, Richard C. Tobias, Samuel Marshall, David H. Cornell, Thomas Everett, Elijah Payn, Chalres B. Dutcher, and Albert Brown. Hugh W. McClellan was the first initiated, Sept. 25, 1851. The members at present number one hundred and eighty-three, and the lodge is in a very flourishing condition. Since 1873 the meetings have been held in a hall which, for beauty and convenience, has few superiors in the county. Simeon R. Hatfield is the present M.; and Uriah Harmon, Secretary.
CHARITY CHAPTER, NO. 47, ORDER OF EASTERN STAR,
was instituted at Chatham village, March 1, 1876. The original members were Abram Ashley, W. H. Barnes, C. M. Burrows, W. C. Daley, C. H. Bell, J. W. Boright, Henrietta Barnes, Eliza F. Burrows, Phoebe M. Burrows, Eva A. Drumm, Sarah Wentworth, Mattie C. Fellows, and Abbie J. Bell. It now numbers forty-five members, with John W. Boright, W. P.; Eliza F. Burrows, W. M.; and Kittie E. Daley, Secretary. The meetings are held semi-monthly in Masonic Hall.
MORNING STAR LODGE, NO. 128, I. O. OF O. F.,
was instituted at Chatham village, Sept. 23, 1844, with the following officers: H. allen, N. G.; S. P. Lee, V. G.; William S. Peak, R. S.; and William T. Groat, Treasurer. The lodge at present numbers forty-four members, having George W. Cady as N. G.; and Charles Smith, R. S.
CHATHAM LODGE, NO 144, K. O P.,
was instituted Dec. 14, 1875, with twenty charter members and the following officer: Charles Smith, P. C.; Elijah C. Tripp, C. C.; William R. Mesick, V. C.; J. G. Griffith, P.; George H. Angell, K. of R. S.; and C. J. Seymour, M. of F. C. Edwin A. Beckwith is the present P. C., and the meetings are held in Odd Fellows' Hall.
These Beautiful Graphics Designed by: