By Capt. Franklin Ellis330
Catholic missionary work was begun at Chatham village, under the auspices of Hudson parish, in 1855. The following year a church edifice was erected under the direction of Father James S. O'Sullivan, priest of the parish, which was consecrated by the bishop, now Cardinal McCloskey. This house was enlarged in 1868 by Father J. J. Moriaty, and now has sittings for five hundred persons. It is reported worth $5000, and the parsonage, purchased in 1867, an equal amount.
Chatham village and the surrounding country became a parish in February, 1867, at which time Father J. J. Moriaty became the resident priest, and still serves in that capacity. The bounds of the parish at present extend southward to Boston Corners, having a church at Copake, which was added in 1873. The communicants of the parish number about one thousand souls.
A Sabbath-school at Chatham village was organized in February, 1867. It has seventy scholars, and is superintended by Miss Kate Moriarty.
These Beautiful Graphics Designed by: