The Village of Mellenville
By Captain Franklin Ellis24
Mellenville is a small but pleasant village, at the confluence of Claverack and Eastern creeks, a mile west from Philmont, and eight miles northeast from Hudson. It is a station on the Hudson and Albany railroad, and has an active though limited trade. Formerly the place was locally known as Centerville, receiving its present name in 1837, in compliment to a Mr. Mellen, who built the railroad through this point. Settlement here was made very early, among the families being the millers, Storms, Philips, Harders, and Hortons, but no special importance attached to the place until after it had the railroad. At present it numbers several hundred inhabitants.
Among the first to engage in trade were George Philip and Stephen Miller, in a small red building in the lower part of the place. After many years successful merchandising they were succeeded by their sons, and afterwards by William Philip, who was long in trade. Other pioneer merchants were Storms & Miller, Jeremiah Groat, and Herman Best. At present there are several stores, in one of which is the post-office, which was established about 1840, with Herman Best postmaster. A. W. Ostrander holds the position at present.
Captain George Philip kept one of the first public-houses, which other members of the family continued. Mellenville has now two taverns.
The practicing physicians of the place have been Doctors R. H. Mesick and E. J. Palmer.
In the eastern part of the village, on Eastern creek, is the Harder Hosiery-Factory, occupying a large frame building. It has a good power, and being supplied with excellent machinery, is capacitated to produce a large amount of work annually.
The Mellenville Hosiery-Mills were erected on the site of a former grist-mill, a part of the building being converted to this purpose in 1872. It is supplied with two sets of machinery, which enable it to produce twelve thousand dozen pieces per annum. S. D. & A. A. Miller are the proprietors.
Above this point Thomas Storm had a grist-mill erected many years ago, which in 1768, was converted into a paper-mill by Wm. Smith, and is still operated as such.
The place has also several good mechanic shops, and contains a Reformed Church.