By Capt. Franklin Ellis286
In 1800 the town was divided into twelve road districts, having the following descriptions and overseers:
No. 1, from the camp line to the creek, at Jacob Salspagh's,--David Winans.
No. 2, from the camp line to Dutchess county,--Gerrit B. Lasher, who was appointed, May 31, by Philip D. Rockefeller and Peter Feller.
No. 3, from George A. Sagendorph's to Andreis A. Bortel's,--Jacobus Ryphenburgh.
No. 4, from Dutchess county, on the post-road, to the bridge, near Walter T. Livingston's,--Philip D. Rockefeller.
No. 5, from the camp line to John Lynk's,--Peter P. Herder.
No. 6, from Ira Gale's to John Weaver's, and so on to the old bridge,--Ira Gale.
No. 7, from Andreis A. Bortel's to Nicholas Hermance's,--John Sisson.
No. 8, from Pleasant Vale to the Dutchess county line,--Isaac Burham.
No. 9, from the post-road, passing Philip H. Clum's and Peter Feller's, to John Cooper's,--Adam Minkler.
No. 10, from the post-road, passing Philip H. Clum's and Peter Feller's, to John Cooper's,--Adam Minkler.
No. 11, from Nicholas Sagendorph's to the camp line,--Benjamin Pitcher.
No. 12, from the new bridge, near the Widow Livingston's, to the camp line,--Philip C. Moore.
In 1878, in a smaller territory, the town had twenty-six road districts.
The post-road was long used by the Highland Turnpike Company, which had erected a toll-gate on the hill just above Fraleigh's, at the old Philip D. Rockefeller place. From Clermont village to the Roeloff Jansen Kill the course of this road was formerly northeast, crossing at the upper bridge. From the Blue Store to the above point the post-road was located some time after 1800, as being a more direct course. It has always been one of the principal thoroughfares of the town. The old "wagon-path," from the manor-house, in the town of Livingston, to Elizaville, crossed the Roeloff Jansen Kill, near Clermont village, and passed up on the south side of the stream to Johannes Dyckman's. This road was located soon after 1700. Its course has been much modified. In the western part of the town is a good highway, running north and south, popularly known as the "telegraph road;" and west of this is the Hudson River railroad, which does not have a station in the town. The Rhinebeck and Connecticut railroad was constructed through the southeastern part of the town in the fall of 1873. It has a station opposite Union Corners, called Elleslee, and affords good shipping facilities for this part of Clermont and the adjoining towns.
These Lovely Graphics Designed by:
The Separator Bars Designed by: