By Capt. Franklin Ellis288
In matters pertaining to education, Clermont has a record of the establishment of a school which antedated the school system of the State. It was authorized by a special act passed in 1791, and was the germ of the common schools which followed soon after. These were under the supervision of Wm. Wilson, John Cooper, and Nathan Collins, in 1800; and later, Dr. Thomas Broadhead and the Rev. Augustus Wackerhagen were active promoters of education in the town. In 1833 a part of the "Christian chapel" was used for a select school by Dr. Wackerhagen, which became an incorporated academy April 26, 1834, and was received under the regents Feb. 26, 1837. After several years of most successful operation, the academy passed under the principalship of Ephraim Hudson, also a very successful educator. But it was at length suffered to go down, and finally became a public school. The building is yet employed for this purposed.
These Lovely Graphics Designed by:
The Separator Bars Designed by: