ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
By Capt. Franklin Ellis215
Religious services were held at Copake Iron-Works, in the house of Michael Herihy, by the Rev. James S. O'Sullivan, of Hudson, from 1855 to 1867. At that time it was thought best to build a church, and steps were taken to secure its erection. It was commenced in 1866, and finished in 1867. The mission was attached to Chatham parish in February, 1873, under the pastoral care of Rev. Jame J. Moriarty, A.M., who is still ministering to the people. Oct. 31, 1875, the church was formally dedicated, and seventy persons confirmed by Rt. Rev. Francis McNierney, Bishop of Albany.
The church, which will seat two hundred persons, cost $5000. Present valuation about the same.
Previous to Father O'Sullivan's ministrations, Rev. William Howard, of Hudson, held services. He first began about 1849.
The congregation now consists of forty-five families. The present lay trustees are Michael Herlihy and Matthew Murnane.