CHURCH OF ST. JOHN
By Capt. Franklin Ellis214
Previously to 1852 Episcopal services were held occasionally in the district school-house at Copake Iron-Works; Mrs. Aurelia Pomeroy and Mrs. Harriet Chesbrough being teachers.
The parish was organized in 1852, at a meeting held for the purpose at the residence of Isaac C. Chesbrough, Rev. N. S. Stoughton presiding and William L. Pomeroy acting as secretary. The following officers were elected, viz.: Lemuel Pomeroy, senior warden; Isaac C. Chesbrough, junior warden; William L. Pomeroy, Lemuel Pomeroy, Jr., S. H. Platner, Lee Chamberlain, Sylvester Melius, John D. Groat, Julius Snyder, J. G. Palen, vestrymen.
The minute of these proceedings was accepted May 24, 1852, and signed by Rev. N. S. Stoughton, in the presence of two witnesses. June 17 it was recorded, and the society was incorporated.
The land for a church site and parsonage lot was given by the "Copake Iron Company," and the members contributed liberally towards a fund to build a church. In this they were assisted by the Trinity church of New York, and a church was erected at a cost of $3000. The size of the main building is thirty by forty-five feet, with a chancel fifteen by twenty-two feet. It furnishes comfortable sittings for one hundred and fifty persons. It was consecrated on St. Peter's day, June 29, 1852, and received into the jurisdiction of the bishop of New York by the Rev. Carlton Chase, of New Haven, performing Episcopal duties at the request of the standing committee of the diocese of New York.
Prior to the settling of a rector over this parish, service was held by various clergymen, among others by Revs. N. S. Stoughton, H. Wheaton, Dr. Berrian, ------Haight, and ------Anthon, the three last all of New York. The first resident rector was Rev. William T. Ludlum. He was followed by Revs. E. W. Hager, Peter S. Ruth, P. O. Barton, William A. Leach, J. H. Babcock, and Levi Johnston. Services have also been conducted at the church by Revs. Joseph Johnson, W. C. Brant, ------Hale, and Rev. R. C. Terry, of Hudson, N. Y. The church is at present without a pastor. The membership is quite small. The present valuation of the church property is about $5000.
The present officers are Isaac C. Chesbrough, senior warden; Lemuel Pomeroy, junior warden; H. T. Goodale, William Wright, William A. Miles, Darius Weed, Peter N. Campbell, Asa Martin, F. P. Miles, Lott Cook, vestrymen; Wm. A Miles, treasurer; Lemuel Pomeroy, secretary.