SONS OF THE COVENANT
COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Captain Franklin Ellis171
Gamaliel Lodge, No. 116, was instituted and chartered by the Grand Lodge, Aug. 23, 1868, the number of original members being twenty-five.
The first officers were M. Greenthal, President, N. Dosenheim, Vice-President; Jacob Wronski, Sec.; A. Harris, Financial Sec.; S. M. Swartz, Treas.; William Boston, Mentor; M. Peyser, Assistant Mentor; J. Friedlander, Warden; M. Simon, Guardian; S. Kritzman, M. Sylvester, A. Israel, Trustees.
The lodge has at present a membership of fifty, and a fund of nearly $1000. Its cardinal principles are benevolence, brotherly love, harmony, and the rendering of aid and support to the sick, needy, and aged of the order. At the decease of a member, the widow and children receive the sum of $1000, which is collected by a per capita tax upon the members in the district. The order, of which this is a subordinate lodge, extends through the United States, and has a membership of over twenty-five thousand.
The present officers of Gamaliel Lodge are M. Greenthal, President; M. Sylvester, Vice-President; Jacob Wronski, Sec.; M. Wolke, Financial Sec.; J. Kritzman, Treas.