THE HUDSON RIVER BANK
COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Captain Franklin Ellis127
The Hudson River Bank was chartered in the winter of 1830, and organized June 30 of the same year. Its capital was $150,000. The first board of directors was composed as follows: Oliver Wiswall, president; Rufus Reed, Solomon Wescott, Samuel Anable, Israel Platt, William H. Coleman, Abner Hammond, Robert A. Barnard, Laban Paddock, James Vanderpoel, J. P. Beekman, Herman Livingston, Abraham Van Buren.
William Currie was first appointed cashier, but resigned the office immediately after, upon which Francis W. Edmonds was appointed in his stead. Mr. Wiswall retained the presidency of the bank until the expiration of its charter, in 1855.
The bank was reorganized with the same name June 12, 1855, under the banking law of April 18, 1838. The capital was $200,000, and the following-named gentlemen were chosen directors, viz.: Robert A. Barnard, president; Jonathan Stott, Alexander C. Mitchell, Conklin Terry, George Barker, Charles Paul, L. R. Mellen, peter Hoffman, Charles McArthur, Henry Hubbell, Richard F. Clarke, George H. Power, Stephen A. Du Bois; A. B. Scott, cashier.
In 1865 the institution was reorganized under the (then) recently-enacted national banking law, and became
THE NATIONAL HUDSON RIVER BANK
The capital had previously been increased to $150,000, and has continued at that amount until the present time. The first president under the national organization was Stephen A. Du Bois, and the cashier A. B. Scott.
The present officers of the bank are Henry A. Du Bois, president; Edwin C. Terry, Henry J. Baringer, William Bryan, Abijah P. Cook, Cornelius H. Evans, George B. Fairfield, Benoni S. Johnson, Henry Hubbel, William J. Miller, Augustus McKinstry, Ezra Waterbury, Caspar P. Collier, directors; William Bostwick, cashier.