HUDSON LODGE, NO. 7, F. AND A. M
COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Captain Franklin Ellis160
The petition to the Grand Lodge of the State of New York, praying for the charter, which was afterwards granted to this lodge, was dated Dec. 18, 1786, and was signed by the following named petitioners, viz.: Seth Jenkins, Jared Coffin, Joseph Hamilton, John McKinstry, John Thurston, John Penoyer, Joseph Olney, Shubael Worth, Isaac Bateman, Thomas Worth, William Wall, Daniel Gano, Thomas Frothingham, Robert Folger, David Lawrence, Benjamin Chace, Lemuel Jenkins, Samuel Mansfield.
The petition ws presented by Daniel Gano on March 17, 1787. In the month of May following, a warrant, as prayed for, was issued by the Grand Lodge of the State of New York, and the first officers were installed at Albany in June, 1787, as follows: Seth Jenkins, W. M.; Jared Coffin, S. W.; David Lawrence, J. W.; Samuel Mansfield, Treas.; Daniel Gano, Sec.; Thomas Frothingham, S.D.; Simeon Stoddard, J. D.; Shubael Worth, Benjamin Chace, Stewards.
The first meeting was held Dec. 18, 1786, at the house of John McKinstry.* First by-laws were adopted June 28, 1787. The lodge was chartered as No. 13 in 1787; became No. 15 in 1823; No. 12 in 1831;† and No. 7, as at present, in 1839.
In 1795 the proprietors of Hudson granted to this lodge a lot of land on the southeast corner of Union and Third streets, for the purpose of erecting thereon a building suitable for their use; the conditions of the grant being that the building should be not less than twenty-five by fifty feet, that it should be completed within two years, and that it should never be used as a tavern.
The corner-stone of the building was laid June 12, 1795, and it was dedicated with imposing ceremonies December 27, 1796. It was considered an ornament, and very creditable to the lodge and the city. On the 4th of July, 1829, it was partially destroyed by fire, but was rebuilt as St. John's Hall, which still remains the property of the lodge and their place of meeting. Following is a list of the Past Masters of the lodge.
The officers of the lodge for 1878 are Aaron Colton, W. M.; William H. Spanburgh, S. W.; William A. Spaulding, J. W. ; W. S. Wattles, Treas.; Charles S. Champlin, Sec.; John K. Vosburgh, S. D.; William T. Miller, J. D.; Frank A. Punderson, S. m. of C.; John K. Vosburgh, Organist; W. R. Elting, Marshal; J. W. Kenyon, Tiler.
*The same who, having been taken prisoner at the battle of the Cedars, in 1776, was saved from torture and death by Captain Brant, the Mohawk chief.
†Through the persevering efforts of some of its members (particularly Mr. Stephen A. Coffin) the lodge preserved its organization through the anti-Masonic warfare.
‡Richard Carrique was, at the time of his death (1849), Senior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge of the State of New York. He was interred by the Grand Lodge, which body also erected a monument to his memory in the Hudson Cemetery.