ST. JOHN'S METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH (COLORED)
COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Captain Franklin Ellis147
1878This organization was the result of a secession from the African Methodist Episcopal Zion church of Hudson, which occurred in April, 1872. On the 10th of that month a meeting of the seceders was held at the house of Henry Pitts, and at that meeting they formed themselves into a religious society, and took the name of "Friends of Religious Liberty." Of this society Philip Reading was chairman, Garret Deyo secretary, and Albert Porter treasurer. This society raised among its members the sum of $200, with which they purchased a lot on Diamond street, near the corner of Third, on which they commenced the erection of a church building. Many of the leading citizens of Hudson assisted them liberally, enabling them to complete the church at a cost of $3319.11, including furniture, and it was dedicated July 17, 1873,--but, as the building was found to be too small for the occasion, the services were held at the First Methodist church, the use of which was most courteously offered.
Prior to this (March 17, 1873) a church organization was effected at the house of Garret Deyo, under charge of Rev. S. J. Ferguson. This consisted of about thirty persons, and was named and known as St. John's Methodist Episcopal church of the city of Hudson. Garret Deyo was appointed secretary. They were supplied with preachers from different parts of the district until November, 1873, when Rev. Richard Hiscox was employed, and was succeeded by Rev. William P. Snyder, a local preacher, who remained until May, 1878, when the charge was assumed by Rev. Aaron Hunt.
The present membership of the church is forty. Attendance at Sabbath-school forty-eight, including officers and teachers.