LAND TITLE AND GRANTS
In Kinderhook, Columbia County, New York
By Capt. Franklin Ellis41
One of the first owners of Kinderhook soil, as we are informed by the records, was a chief of the Mohican tribe of Indians, name Emikee, who was the possessor of a tract of land north of, and including the village site of Kinderhook. This tract was named in the Flodder and Baker patent, as being the south boundary of the lands of those proprietors.
The Flodder and Baker patent was covered by the grant made afterwards to Jan Hendrik De Bruyn, and a great amount of litigation was the result. The interests of De Bruyn in this and later patents were sold to Laurence Van Alen in 1707, and by him divided among his children. After much litigation among the claimants under the two patents, the matter was made the subject of legislative action June 8, 1812, and a committee, consisting of John Radcliff, David B. Ogden, and Thomas Rudd, were appointed to adjust the claims.
The Kinderhook patent, and the Powell, Wessels, Gerrit, Teunissen, and Burger Huyck grants were also located in old Kinderhook.
The usual small quit-rents are attached to all of these patents, which are noticed in the general history of the county.
The Buttons and Bars supplied by:
Bulls Buttons & Bars