KINDERHOOK, COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Capt. Franklin Ellis43
As near as can be determined, the first mill in the county was erected in old Kinderhook. Frans Peiters Clavers had a saw-mill on the little stream, two miles north from Stuyvesant Landing, as early as 1665. Here, doubtless, was sawn the lumber used by the early settlers, and from this circumstance the stream was known as the Saw Kill long after Frans Peiters had passed away. There were grist and saw-mills at Valatie in 1697; and in 1763 the saw-mill at this point was owned by Hans Hoes, and the grist-mill by Derick Hoses. The power on Valatie creek was also improved as early as 1712.
The Buttons and Bars supplied by:
Bulls Buttons & Bars