ST. JOHN'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Capt. Franklin Ellis71
The St. John's Roman Catholic church of Valatie was formed as the result of missionary labors from the parish of Coxsackie, by Fathers Finnegan and Roach. The former erected a plain frame church, in the western part of Valatie, standing on two acres of ground. There is also a good parsonage near the church, the estimated value of both being six thousand dollars.
About 1871 a parish was formed, and placed in care of Rev. John J. Brennan, who was the spiritual guide of this people until 1874. Since that period, Rev. M. J. Griffith has held the priestly office. The parish now includes the churches at Stuyvesant and Stuyvesant Falls, and has seven hundred communicants.
The Buttons and Bars supplied by:
Bulls Buttons & Bars