ST. PAUL'S CHURCH (EPISCOPAL) OF KINDERHOOK
COLUMBIA COUNTY, NEW YORK
By Capt. Franklin Ellis66
The services of the Episcopal church were first regularly held in Kinderhook in the fall of 1850. These resulted in the organization of the present society, Jan. 18, 1851. An attractive house of worship was soon after commenced in the village of Kinderhook, which was consecrated June 22, 1852, by Rev. Carlton Chase. The rector, Rev. Fred T. Tiffany, preached the first sermon after the consecration, June 17, 1852, and remained with the church until July 2, 1856.
Since that period the rectors and officiating ministers of the parish have been as follows: Rev. Rolla O. Page, 1856-58; Rev. Porter Thomas, 1859-62; Rev. George Z. Gray, 1862-65; Rev. John Rutherford, 1866-67; Rev. Edward Hale, officiating minister, 1870, died March 17, 1871; Rev. William Henry Capers, 1871-72; Rev. Newton Dexter, 1876-78; Rev. S. Hanson Coxe, 1878.
In 1872 the chapel was rebuilt and very much beautified. It has sittings for one hundred and fifty persons, and is valued, with the rectory adjoining, at six thousand dollars. The parish has fifty-five members.
The Buttons and Bars supplied by:
Bulls Buttons & Bars