By Captain Franklin Ellis410
Blue Store near the southwest line of the town, where the Highland turnpike intersects the post-road, is a hamlet containing half a dozen houses. About the present century there was a store and tavern at this place painted blue, which gave the name to the locality. W. T. Livingston and Leonard Ten Broeck were some of the early proprietors, and at a later period John Ring and others. The place was widely and favorably known, and was one of the principal stopping-places on the Albany road. Before 1829 Henry Baker had a store on the opposite side of the street, which was afterwards kept by various parties, but long since became a tenement. The tavern became the property of Caleb Washburn in 1836, and in 1840 was demolished to give place for the present well-appointed hotel, which, since 1846, has been kept by William H. Washburn.
A Post-office was established in this place, May 22, 1871, which, since Jan. 1, 1878, has been supplied with a daily mail.
Dr. Benedict A. Wicks is located here as a physician. the place has also several mechanic shops.