By Captain Franklin Ellis409
Three miles northeast from Johnstown, on Copake creek is the pretty hamlet of Glenco Mills.
This locality was formerly known as "Sober," but received its present name after 1830. It contains a good flouring-mill, a saw-mill, several large shops, a neat chapel of the Methodist church, and about eighty inhabitants.
Henry P. Hermance engaged in trade at Glenco Mills about 1845. Between that period and 1850 James Bogardus occupied the stand, and since the latter date the merchant here has been Ira Williams. On the east side of the creek Milton Shaurman put up a store in 1872, which he has since carried on.
The hotel was erected about 1850 by Stephen H. Ham, and kept by him several years. Subsequently John Waterford, Sylvester Bortle, Suydam Decker, and Frank Backford have been landlords at this place.
The Glenco Mills post-office was established in 1856, with Henry P. Hermance postmaster. Ira Williams was appointed deputy, and at a later period became the postmaster, and still retains the office.
Dr. Nelson H. Mesick has been located here the past four years as a practicing physician.