By Captain Franklin Ellis413
Union Corners, containing about fifty inhabitants. The first attempt at a village was made on the north bank of the Roeloff Jansen, a short distance below the present hamlet. Here were mills and other industries on the Clermont side of the stream, and the place was known as Elizaville. As early as 1790 there were half a dozen houses. In one of the oldest at this point John Manny had a store in 1800, and kept a tavern in the same building. The house has been rebuilt, and is now used as a farm residence by John A. Coon, who was the last in trade at Elizaville. Other proprietors in the order of time were John Crawford, in 1810, Alexander Brothers, John Steager, Jabez Parsons, Robinson F. Peaster, Jacob & William Elkenbergh, and E. & N. Coons. The mills were destroyed by a freshet in 1869, since which the business has centered in the upper part of the hamlet. Here Thomas Swart had a store in 1803, and afterwards Punderson & Wheeler. Then the house was changed into a tavern called the "Union Corner House," from which the hamlet has been named. John B. Latham was one of the early keepers. It is yet standing used as a residence by Samuel Baker. In 1830, Michael P. De Lameter erected the store now occupied in merchandising by John H. Gardner, and in 1854 Zach P. Smith engaged in trade on the same corner, removing his buildings in 1864. Since 1874 Mr. Smith has conducted a store and public-house in the building now occupied by him, and which was erected that year.
The post-office was established about 1840, with the name of Elizaville, having Peter Robinson as postmaster. The office is at present held by William Stickle.
The hamlet has also several mechanic shops, a Methodist church, and a good school-house. The Rhinebeck and Connecticut railroad has a station on the Clermont side, called Elleslee.