The Hudson River Seminary
Capt. Franklin Ellis396
The movement to establish a manual labor school on the banks of the Hudson began about 1865, and was headed by David Smith. With this purpose in view, he purchased a large tract of land at the mouth of Stockport creek, four acres of which, on an elevation commanding a fine view of the Hudson, were set aside for building purposes, and a portion of the adjacent grounds was devoted to gardening. In 1836 a large five-story brick structure, containing ninety-six rooms, ws erected by a joint stock company, in which the same year was opened a seminary under the superintendence of Prof. E. D. Maltby, assisted by George Schneck and others. Nearly two hundred students were in attendance, and the school would no doubt have flourished if its financial basis had been sound. On the 6th of May, 1837, it was incorporated by the Legislature, but soon after was closed for want of funds. A select boarding-school was subsequently conducted in the building by the Rev. Alden Scovel, which, after a few years, was also discontinued. The house became the property of Joseph Wild in 1857, and five years later was demolished. The ground is now covered by a vineyard.