Special Thanks to Holice
Young for transcribing this work!
ROUND TOP CHURCH, BETHEL
Location: At Bethel
Condition: Restored to order in recent years
Inscriptions: 97 and 56 in number. Copied by L. Van Alstyne Of
Sharon, Conn. See page 240 and 243 of "Burying Grounds of
Sharon, Amenia, and North East, New York", printed 1903.
Remarks: About 1746 a Lutheran Church was built on this site
which came to be known as "Old Round Top Church." The
burial ground grew up around it. Within recent years the highway was
cut through the cemetery, dividing it into two parts one on the east
side of the road and one on the west. The former included the site
of the old church building (long since disappeared) and has been
acquired by the descendants of Michael Rowe as a family burial
ground. It is known as "Rowe Cemetery". The portion of the
churchyard now on the east side of the highway is a neighborhood
August 24, 2000
Html by Debbie
You are the 5195th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since March 9, 2001.
58,000 visitors prior to installation of this counter.
Index][Pine Plains Cemeteries][Dutchess County]