HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF FISHKILL
HISTORY OF DUTCHESS COUNTY, NEW YORK
By James H. Smith
GROVEVILLE is pleasantly situated on the Fishkill, .79 mile by rail below GLENHAM, through which it enjoys postal facilities. It derives its name from the extensive oak grove which formerly occupied the site of the Stewart carpet works, which, with the dwellings occupied by the employes therein, constitutes all there is of it. There was a grist mill at GROVEVILLE from a very early day. It was owned about 1820 by Samuel UPTON, a Quaker who acquired it from Abraham DUBOIS. UPTON tore down the old mill and replaced it with a larger one. He also erected on the opposite side of the race a stone building which he used as a fulling mill. Between 1830 and 1840, UPTON sold the property which also comprised six acres of land to Peter CROMWELL and Epenetus CROSBY. Messrs. CROMWELL and CROSBY sold it to the GLENHAM Co., who converted it to a woolen mill, and did carding, spinning and weaving. It subsequently passed through the same changes in proprietorship as the GLENHAM mill property, and like it was purchased by A. T. STEWART, who purchased additional land on the south, making in all about twenty-two acres, all of which formerly belonged to the ROGERS farm, and in 1874-75 commenced improvements which have evolved the magnificent and extensive works which employ nearly 700 persons.
Previous to the improvements by Mr. STEWART there were two or three houses besides the woolen mill, on the site of GROVEVILLE. In 1880 the population was 379.
Typed and submitted by
Virginia A. Buechele
Ginny's Genealogy Page
Back to Town History and Biography Index Page