HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF NORTHEAST
From
HISTORY OF DUTCHESS COUNTY, NEW YORK
By James H. Smith
1882
Chapter XXI.

Part Three

The old Hartwell burial ground, in which many of the early settlers were buried, was in the forks of two roads leading easterly therefrom, one to Spencer’s Corners, and the other to Dakin’s Corners. This old graveyard was formerly left open to commons, but about the year 1825, it was fenced into the field by the owner of the HARTWELL farm, who afterward removed the gravestones which had been placed there, used the stones for a fence, and plowed over the ground as if it were never used for the sacred purpose of the burial of the dead. There are now few if any traces left of the old graves.

John RAU, who emmigrated from Germany with the Palatines about 1712 or ‘15, built, it is supposed, about 1745, the original mill which stood on the site of what is known as the Phineas CARMAN mill. *(This property was sold at auction and bid in by Walter LOUCKS, for $2,520.00, November 1, 1879.) This is believed to be the oldest mill site in this locality. In 1740, if not earlier, John RAU, *(In old documents this name is written RAU, RAUGH, and ROW. It is now almost universally written ROWE.) Had a residence northeast from this mill, where Chauncy ROWE now lives. He was a carpenter by trade, and is said to have built the old portion of the house in which Chauncy ROWE, a descendant, now (1879) lives. The pine beams in the house, which were cut and hewn in the forest on the “pine plains,” over a century and a quarter ago, are doing duty now and are in a good state of preservation. Peter RAU, a son of John RAU, is the first positively known owner of the CARMAN mill. He sold it to his brother Mattice or Mottice, *(A name now known as Matthias.) And soon after the sale emigrated to Scaticoke, Rensselaer county, N. Y. One or two men, of the name of REYNOLDS, succeeded Mattice RAU in the ownership of the mill. Then Mr. ELLISON, then Richard CARMAN, the Phineas CARMAN, his son. At the death of the latter it came into the possession of his sons; John, the youngest lately deceased, being the last owner. According to the surveys of the Little Nine Partners and Great Nine Partners grants, a strip of land triangular in shape, was left between them, the point being at the western boundaries, which strip widened as the boundaries extended eastward to the Oblong, and was known as the “Gore.” The mill stands on this gore. Here the Sha-ca-me-co creek, which furnishes the mill power, runs through an opening or pass in a range of hills of considerable note, which rise on either hand perhaps four hundred feet. The indian name for this locality was “Puck-ka-puck-ka,” rock against rock, signifying two rocky hills or mountains bearing down upon each other, with a stream intervening. *(Isaac HUNTLING on Indian names and their significance.) Tradition has preserved the Indian name, somewhat corrupted, in the mountain north of the mill as “Buck-ka-barrack,” while the mountain south of the gap is known as “Fish Mountain,” after an early settler at its eastern base, A short distance down the stream stands an old one-story house, 16 by 18 feet, with the wall of stone, which forms the back of the fireplace, and part of the chimney and fireplace exposed to the weather, filing half of the end of the building. This building also stands on the “Gore,” and tradition has it that John RAU was the builder. The nails used were wrought, and imported from Germany or Holland. Here in an early day settled John FLYNN--the father of Old John FLYNN--whose wife, familiarly styled “Aunt Molly,” was well known in the neighborhood. Her husband left her in the early days of their married life, and she paid for the building of the now old house. She died about 1817, not far from ninety years of age.

Continued in Part 4

Typed and submitted by Janice Sanford

Back to Dutchess County Page

Back to Town History and Biography Index Page