HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF NORTHEAST
From
HISTORY OF DUTCHESS COUNTY, NEW YORK
By James H. Smith
1882
Chapter XXI.

Part Six

On the 5th of July 1775, this pledge was sent into the precinct of North East for signers. The response was enthusiastic, and among the names of those who signed we find James WINCHELL, Benjamin COVEY, Eusly SIMMONS, Elisha MEAD, David HAMBLEN, the KNICKERBACKERS, John FULTON, Ebenezer CRANE, Smith SIMMONS, Israel THOMPSON, Nathaniel MEAD, and others. The ore bed, now known as the MALTBY, formerly the DAKIN, ore bed, had been opened several years before, but abandoned. It was this year re-opened, and iron taken out of the casting of cannon for the patriot army.

In 1776 the society prepared to build a house of worship. Rev. Simon DAKIN donated to them the land now occupied as the old burial ground at Spencer's Corners, and on this they laid the foundation of their second meeting house, which was completed and deicated the following year.

In 1778 the church recorded its protest against slavery, and at a church meeting, held September 24th, they declared it to be contrary to the gospel and voted that they would do nothing to uphold it. Few events of more than ordinary interest occurred until the year 1780, when Elder WOOD, with others, withdrew from the North East church, and organized a church in the Amenia Precinct. Elder WOOD was ordained their pastor. Hezekiah EASTMAN was licensed to preach, being the third thus authorized by this church.

In 1787 occurred a serious division of sentiment, which was continued into the following year, when, by invitation of the church, a council met at their house of worship to advise with them. As a result, fifteen were dismissed to form a new church, which they did at what is known as North East Centre.

In 1797 the membership had decreased, by deaths and removals to sixty-four. In this year Rev. Simon DAKIN died. During this time Rev. John LELAND moved into the town, purchased land, and took charge of the church. He preached on the Sabbath in the meeting house, and on week day evenings in the kitchen of the house now the Presbyterian parsonage.

In 1812, James M. WINCHELL, having graduated at Brown University, was licensed to preach by the Church. He was ordained the following year at Bristol, R. I., and the next year was installed as pastor of the First Baptist Church in Boston. In this same year John BUTTOLPH was licensed to preach, and on the 4th of May, 1814, he was ordained, and began his labors as pastor, which he continued for eleven years.

In 1828 the errection of a new house of worship was begun, and was finished in 1829, the dedication taking place on the 12th of August, Rev. Thomas WINTER preaching the sermon, and Rev. Rufus BABCOCK assisting in the services. The edifice cost about $4,000, of which sum James WINCHELL donated $1,700. In 1831, James WINCHELL and wife gave to trustees a house and fourteen acres of land, to be for the use and assistance of the pastors of the church.

In April, 1839, Rev. Thomas WINTER resigned the pastorate, and was succeeded by Rev. John LAGRANGE, who began his labors, as the sixth pastor, in April, 1843, and remained until March, 1846. His successor was the Rev. C. C. WILLIAMS, who remained as pastor until 1847, and was folled by Rev. H. L. GROS, who began his labors in 1848, and closed them the 20th of December, 1851.

Rev. C. B. KEYS succeeded to the pastorate, in March, 1852, and resigned in 1853. In 1854, Rev. G. ANDERSON, a licentiate from the Baptist church in Lewisburgh, Penn., came here, and the church called him to the pastorate. He was ordained November 21st, and remained until 1857. Rev. George KEMPTON succeeded him in 1857, and closed his labors in 1860.

In 1861, Eugene M. BYRNES was called to the pastorate and began his ministry. He was followed by Rev. Thomas WINTER, who in August, 1863, was the second time called to serve the church. He remained until 1865, when he removed to Roxboro, Penn. The pulpit was then for some time supplied by different pastors who officiated for brief periods. Rev. W. C. MCCARTHY supplied the pulpit a few weeks and Rev. J. B. SIMMONS, of Philadelphia, officiated for a month.

In 1866, the church voted to sell the meeting house, purchase a new site, and erect a new edifice in the growing village of Millerton. On the 19th of August, the church met for the last time in the old house at Spencer's Corners. November 4th, 1867, a hundred and sixteen years after its organization, the church met to lay the corner stone of its fourth house of worship.

In November, 1873, Rev. S. L. HOLMAN began his labor as pastor, and on the 20th of November, the new house of worship was dedicated. Mr. HOLMAN's pastorate lasted until the 23rd of May, 1875. His successor was Rev. A. C. LYON, the present incumbent, who began his ministerial work in June, 1875.

The Presbyterian Church, formerly known as the North EastCongregational Church, was organized January 15, 1829, with nine members, six by letter, and three by the profession of faith.
The names of these members were:--Elihu PAINE, Ezra L. BARRETT, Rhoda BARRETT, Phillip J. JENKS, Julia Ann JENKS, John G. DOUGLASS, Elizabeth CLARK, Mary HOTCHKISS, Myra COLEMAN, [Mrs. PITCHER]. The original church was formed and located at North East Centre. The old church edifice there was torn down in 1866. During the year there were fourteen additions to the membership, eight by letter and six by profession of faith. Phillip J. JENKS was elected Deacon.

The first to preach to the society was Rev. Mr. VANDYKE, who remained six months. In 1830, the first regularly installed pastor, Rev. Thomas FLETCHER, began his labors. On the 21st of May, 1833, Rev. Thomas FLETCHER was dismissed for want of adequate support. On the 30th of September, 1834, the church became connected with the Litchfield North Association of Connecticut. There is no account of a ministerial supply for that year. In 1841, Rev. Mr. HOWE was the pastor. Rev. Joel OSBORN was invited to become the pastor, and was installed May 27, 1846. In 1848, Rev. Joel OSBORN was dismissed on account of ill-health. The church was closed the greater portion of the time from his withdrawal to March, 1850. In that year Rev. Isaac DEVOE was engaged for one year. Mr. DEVOE was again engaged for 1852, and remained until 1855.

From April, 1855, until the summer of 1858, the church was for the most part closed. In the latter year Rev. E. W. STODDARD, pastor of the church in Amenia, commenced preaching every Sunday afternoon, and under his labors the church was gathered together again, after being seemingly almost scattered. Mr. STODDARD supplied the desk until September, 1859, when the Rev. George R. FERGUSON took his place. In October, 1863, the church secured the services of Rev. O. PARKER, who held for three weeks a series of revival meetings. In 1866 the church was removed to Millerton. The last sermon in the old house was preached February 11th. The corner stone of the new house was laid August 1st, with appropriate ceremonies. Services were held in the basement of the Methodist church, at the Centre, while the work of building was in progression. The new house of worship was dedicated February 17, 1867.

In 1873 the church severed its connection with the Association of Litchfield North in Connecticut, and was received under the charge of the Presbytery of North River. Mr. FERGUSON closed his labors about 1874, and September 21st, of that year a call was extended to Rev. John J. WALSH, who accepted it and remained until March 5, 1876, when on account of failing eye-sight he was compelled to cease preaching. >From that time for a considerable period the desk was variously supplied by Revs. BEEBE, PHILLIPS, TERRITT, CLEVELAND, BROWN, ACKERMAN, WOODRUFF, WESTERVELT, LENT, COOPER, SHAW. William E. WESTERVELT was called in February, 1877, and remained until 1880. He was succeeded by Rev. J. Y. MARSH, one year.

The Methodist Episcopal Church records are very meagre. The Methodists were the first to hold religious services here after the departure of the Moravian missionaries. Their first meeting was held in this town about 1750, and the first sermon was preached in a house just east of Sharon Station, by whom it is not known. One of the early Methodist itinerants of Northern Dutchess was "Billy" HIBBARD, who probably preached in this vicinity.

One of the early members of the church here was Thomas HAYWOOD, who lived near what is now known as Mt. Riga. He had a family of five sons and nine daughters, nearly all of whom were Methodists. At his house the traveling preachers were wont to stay, and services were held there once a fortnight. This was probably from the year 1790 to 1807, as the school house near there was built in 1807, to the erection of which Mr. HAYWOOD gave fifty dollars on condition that the building be made large enough to be used as a place of religious worship. The first original document as yet discovered is a certificate of incorporation of the chapel which stood at Spencer's Corners. It read as follows:--
"At a meeting of the members and supporters of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Spencer's Corners, at the house of Orville DAKIN, Nov. 5, 1842, at 7 o'clock P. M., the meeting being duly called, Rev. A. F. SELLECK, preacher in charge was called to the chair, A. WINCHELL was chosen secretary, and Nathaniel GRIDLEY and Orville DAKIN officers to preside at the meeting. Upon motion of N. GRIDLEY, it was voted that the number of trustees of said church would be five, two of whom should be chosen for the term of one year, one for the term of two years, and two for the term of three years. Orville DAKIN and Alexander MCCALISTER were then chosen for one year, Alanson COLVER, for two years, and Nicholas D. EGGLESTON and Nathaniel GRIDLEY for three years.
"It was then voted that the church be known by the name of 'Spencer's Corners Methodist Episcopal church.
        Alonzo F. SELLECK, Chairman.
        Alexander WINCHELL, Secretary.
        Nathaniel GRIDLEY, } Presiding officers of
        Orville DAKIN, } said meeting."
This was duly recorded February 7, 1843, in the Clerk's office of Dutchess County.

The next is an agreement for the land, and then the minutes of another meeting in which John W. SNYDER figures in procuring a vote for a gallery in the house, and these are all the records which have been discovered relating to Spencer's Corners' chapel.

The first record of the North East Centre church, of which anything is known, is under date of 1842, and is a record of an election of trustees. The first mention of pastor is of Rev. D. C. BENJAMIN. In 1847 appear the names of sixty-four members, divided into classes, under different leaders, with Denton KEELER as pastor.

Under date of April 2, 1859, is found the following:--
"The trustees of Millerton beg leave to report that they have purchased a lot on which they have erected a church edifice which costs, with the said lot, the sum of $4,500. That they have paid $3,700. That there is a debt of $350.00.
This relates to the present church edifice.
From 1842 to 1881 the succession of pastors has been as follows:--
        Rev. A. F. SELLECK...................1842
        Rev. D. C. BENJAMIN...............1845-46
        Rev. Denton KEELER................1847-48
        Rev. J. KEYS.........................1849
        Rev. J. L. DICKERSON..............1850-51
        Rev. J. N. ROBINSON..................1852
        Rev. A. N. MULNIX....................1853
        Rev. A. H. FERGUSON...............1854-55
        Rev. W. G. BROWNING...............1856-57
        Rev. A. E. GALLAHUE...............1858-59
        Rev. W. E. CLARKE....................1860
        Rev. Thomas EDWARDS...............1861-62
        Rev. T. B. ANDREWS................1863-64
        Rev. Philip GERMOND...............1865-67
        Rev. Robert HUNT..................1868-70
        Rev. Aaron COONS..................1871-72
        Rev. Marvin R. LENT...............1873-75
        Rev. Wm. A. MACKAY................1876-78
        Rev. James H. MICHELL.............1879-81
        

THE WAR OF THE REBELLION

No complete record was made of the men who served from this town in the late war. The following list was gleaned partly from official and partly from private sources, and is manifestly incomplete. We give it, however, as it was given us, to preserve at least a few names of those who fought for their country in that eventful struggle.

91st Regt. N. Y. S. Vols. Enlistments of 1861; Co. E.--John MCGINNIS; Thomas O'HARAN, died in the service in 1865; John TAYLOR, died in the service in 1863; Henry F. BENEDICT, died in 1866; Michael FARLIN, Co. H., died in 1862; Jeremiah PRICE; Perry KNICKERBACKER, (Enlisted in 1864), and Michael ROWE, (Michael ROWE was a Corporal. He is now a landlord in Millerton.)

128th Regiment, Co. B.--William E. HAMILTON, (Corporal,) William H. SPIELMAN, Edward CAIRN, Michael SULLIVAN, James CAMPBELL, L. VAN ALSTYNE, Leonard LOUCKS, Charles H. FERRIS, George BISHOP, Jacob BURCH, John R. WOODEN, Walter H. LOUCKS and William PALMER.

Co. F.--Theodore V. SMITH, Theodore SIMPSON and Patrick CONNERS.

Company unknown.--George S. DRAKE, E. KNICKERBACKER, Seneca H. MARKS, George M. LUBAN, William PARKER, George STOREY, John C. THORNE, (Died in Pine Plains in 1865.) Edgar J. CRAINE, Jacob COON and Walter FISH.

150th Regiment, Co. D., (This company was mustered into the service October 11, 1862, and was mustered out June 8, 1865.)--Theodore TEMPLETON, Corporal; Francis [or Frank] WOOD, Corporal.

Irving E. AYRES, James DELANCY, Sanford EGGLESTON, Charles E. FRENCH, Henry MAYHEW, William H. MYERS (Died about 1866.), Joseph MCGHEE, John MCLAUGHLIN, John MAYHEW, William W. PALMER, Lewis REED, George M. SCRIBNER, Charles H. SCRIBNER, George N. BIRCH, (The following were transferred to other regiments and the Veteran Reserve Corps.) Martin C. PALMER, George COOK, James E. MYERS, Patrick MCCUNE, George REED and Freeman THURSTON died in the service.

Company unknown.--George BRUSIE, Edward FRENCH, Theodore H. MYERS, M. C. PALMER, Robert W. PHELPS, Chauncey PHELPS, J. C. SMITH (Now a dentist in Washington, D. C.), George F. WILSON, Phoenix BOCKEE (Assistant in Q. M. Department.), Daniel BISHOP, Peter MELIUS and George T. WILSON.

Scattering.--M. WOODIN, 47th Regiment; John WOODEN, 5th Conn. Regiment; David KILLMER, 9th CONN. Regiment; Samuel REED, First N. Y. Mounted Rifles; Horace GILBERT, 16th Artillery; John LINDSEY (Died about 1879.), 20th Battalion.

Regiments unknown.--Henry SMITH (Dead.), John SWART, Chandler C. DRESSER, Levi VAN WAGNER, H. S. NEWCOMB, W. E. OSTRAM, Francis FRANK, Joseph FRANK, T. J. GILBERT, Ira MARSHALL, Cornelius MORRIS, John H. FULLER and Sidney PRATT.


Typed and submitted by Janice Sanford

Back to Town History and Biography Index Page