The village of Pawling or Pawling Station, as it is more familiarly known, on the line of the Harlem Railroad, is the only important settlement in the town. It contains according to the last census, a population of 580, and is a shipping point of considerable importance. There are three churches, Baptist, Methodist, and Catholic, two hotels, a National Bank and Savings Bank and several stores.
The age of Pawling village proper does not extend beyond the date of the construction of the Harlem Railroad. Clustered around the site of the present Baptist church, at, and previous to that time, was a small hamlet of some half dozen houses, known as Gorsetown. On the site of the Baptist church stood a public house which was kept for many years by Thomas HOWARD, and was widely known more than half a century ago as "Tom Howard's Hotel" (building was torn down in 1876). It is said that one Bradley BARLOW kept a store at this place, but it never amounted to much as a business center. Some eighty rods south from Gorsetown was a store in operation from about the close of the Revolution. Then the Harlem Railroad was completed the locality around the station began to develop and has since attained considerable importance.
The hotels here now the Lee House and the Dutcher House. The former, the oldest house, was built in its original form by Le Grande HALL about 1860. The original building was about sixteen by twenty-two feet, and was built for office use. The first to occupy it were Dr. PEARCE and Hiram S. HAVILAND, a lawyer. It was afterwards for a time used for various purposes, mechanical and otherwise. Additions were then made to it, and it was first kept as a hotel by Noah G. CLARK and James CRANE in 1866. The latter succeeded CLARK and conducted it alone until 1869, when he was succeeded by Peter D. DOUGHTY, who kept it till his death in 1872. The property then passed through several hands, and was sold by George NORTON in 1880 to the present proprietor, George F. LEE.
The hotel which occupied the site of the Dutcher House was built in 1850, and was kept as a public house until it was purchased by John B. DUTCHER, who removed the original portion of the structure and converted it into a dwelling house. In 1881 Mr. DUTCHER began construction of the large hotel known as the Dutcher House, one of the finest structures in the County. The building has a north frontage of 172 feet, and an eastern frontage of 116 feet. One the first, or ground floor, are two large stores, and two rooms, one fitted up as a Library and Public Reading Room, for the benefit of the citizens of the village, and the other devoted to town uses as a Town Hall. Over these is a large room to be devoted to the uses of a Public Hall or Lecture Room. The hotel contains fifty-six rooms for boarders, besides Parlors, dining, and reception rooms. The building is heated by steam and lighted with gas; and is supplied with pure water, which is brought one mile, from the mountains east of the hotel.
John B. DUTCHER, to whose public spirit Pawling owes these and other substantial improvements, was born in Dover, Dutchess County, in 1830. His father was David DUTCHER, who died in 1852. He was educated in the common schools of his native town, with the exception of one term at a select school in Litchfield County, Conn. In 1860 he was married to Christina, daughter of Daniel DODGE, of Pawling, by whom he has one child, John G. DUTCHER.
In the fall of 1860, he was elected to the Assembly by the Republicans of his district, was re-elected in 1861, and in 1863 was elected to the State Senate. He was a delegate to the Republican National Conventions held in Baltimore in 1864, and in Chicago in 1880. After serving his term as Senator he withdrew from politics, and engaged in business in New York. He is a Director of the Harlem Railroad Company, and for several years has had charge of the live stock traffic of the N.Y.C. & H.R.R.R., and the management of its stock yards in Buffalo and Albany. He is President of the Union Stock Yard and Market Company in New York; Vice-President of the National Stock Yard Company of East St. Louis, Ill.; and Vice-President of the St. Louis Beef Canning Company. He is also the Vice-President of the National Bank of Pawling, and President of the Mizzen-Top Hotel Company of this town.
Mr. DUTCHER takes much interest in all matters pertaining to the improvement of Pawling, where he retains his residence. He has here a farm of nearly six hundred acres, which embraces the DODGE homestead, where his wife was born, which contains about the same number of acres. Although owning a city residence in New York where with his family he remains during the winter, Mr. DUTCHER's interest seems centered in his country home and its surroundings, where he has made extensive improvements.
The Bank of Pawling was organized in 1849, under the old State laws. The officers were Albert J. AKIN, President; J. W. BOWDISH, Cashier. The bank was changed to the National Bank of Pawling, in June, 1865. The officers then remained the same. The present Cashier is George W. CHASE, J. W. BOWDISH having retired.
The Pawling Savings Bank was chartered and incorporated in 1870, and was opened for deposits in 1871. The first President was David R. GOULD, who figured prominently in its organization, and who died in February, 1873. William J. MERWIN was the first Treasurer, and the first Secretary was Dedediah Wanzer. The deposits of this bank in July 1880, amounted to $82,000. It has now, in 1881, a surplus of $5,000. The present officers are: John J. VANDERBURGH, President; W. H. TABER, Vice-President; Jedediah I. WANZER, Secretary; William J. MERWIN, Treasurer; Horace D. DUFCUT, Attorney.
Pawling has one newspaper, the Pawling Pioneer, published weekly by Philip H. SMITH, who established it here in 1870. Mr. SMITH was born in Kent, Putnam County, N. Y. in June 1842. His parents were Horace SMITH and Ruth NICHOLS. The earlier years of his life were passed upon the farm of his father, and during that period he received an education in the common schools in which he became a teacher. He early evinced a desire to learn the art of printing, and as soon as an opportunity offered he entered that business in Carmel, Putnam County. In 1870, he began the publication of the Pioneer, in which enterprise he has been measurably successful. About 1875 he conceived the idea of writing a history of Dutchess County, and immediately began to collect material for that work. This was a task of no little magnitude, involving as it did a considerable expenditure of time, labor, and money. To this task he devoted the labor of two years, and the history was presented to the public in 1877. The work was largely illustrated by himself, and may justly be considered a valuable contribution to the historical data of the State, Mr. SMITH was married December 4, 1867, to Amarillas BABCOCK, by whom he has three children now livingNellie M., Josephine, and Carrie Belle.
One of the early merchants here was Archibald CAMPBELL, who conducted business for a number of years, and was succeeded by Gideon SLOCUM & Sons, who continued until about 1848. When the railroad was completed the business was taken up by William T. HURD, and subsequently by J. W. STARK, under the firm name of J. W. STARK & Co. Mr. STARK died May 22, 1880. His partners were William J. MERWIN and Henry A. HOLMES, who at his death succeeded to the business. In this store is kept the postoffice, W. J. MERWIN, postmaster, appointed in June 1880. Mr. MERWIN was born in New Milford, Conn. in 1832. Mr. HOLMES is a native of Putnam County, born in Patterson in 1836. The other merchants now engaged in business here are:
Hiram W. CHAPMAN, general merchant, in business five years; G. W. & S. R. GIBNEY, stoves and house furnishing hardware, in business three years.
Fernando OLMSTEAD, dealer in boots and shoes, in business here twenty years. He was born in South East, Putnam County, N. Y. in 1838, and became a resident of Pawling in 1858.
Elmore FERRIS, flour, feed, coal, and lumber dealer, in business here thirteen years. A native of Otsego County, born in Westford, in October 1837 and came to Pawling in November 1855.
Edward PEABODY, dealer in watches and jewelery, in business since July 10, 1879.
Frederick S. MERWIN, stoves and general hardware, in business here some fifteen years.
Andrew J. WHEELER, harness and horse furnishing goods, in business here eleven years.
John McGLASSON, dealer in and manufacturer of monuments, began the business here ten years ago.
George W. TURNER, also a dealer in and manufacturer of monuments, began the business here ten years ago.
Henry PEARCE & Co. (James S. PEARCE) druggists, in business here four years.
Doctor Henry PEARCE, was born in Pawling in 1833. He graduated from the University of Michigan in 1857, and began the practice of medicine in 1860. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he entered the United States service as surgeon in the 150th Regiment.
The only other resident physician is Dr. William B. LINSLY, a native of New York City, born in 1840, and came to Pawling in March 1880. During the Rebellion, for one year, he was a medical Cadet in the Sanitary Commission, and for eighteen months thereafter was acting Assistant Surgeon of the U.S.A.
The lawyers now in practice here are Esquires TICE, LEE, and HAVILAND. William G. TICE was born in New York City in 1857. He studied law with Hackett & Williams, Poughkeepsie, was admitted to the bar in September 1879 and came to Pawling in 1880.
William R. LEE, a native of Beekman, was born in 1847. He received his legal education in the office of William I. THORN, Poughkeepsie, and was admitted to practice in 1867. He became a resident of Pawling in 1871.
Hiram S. HAVILAND is a native of Pawling, born 28 October 1830. He studied law with Homer A. NELSON, and was admitted to the bar 17 May 1860.
Here the Pawling Chapter continues with a section on Pawling Churches
Typed and submitted by Lynn Airheart Brandvold
Back to Town History and Biography Index Page