HISTORY OF THE VILLAGE OF QUAKER HILL
HISTORY OF DUTCHESS COUNTY, NEW YORK
By James H. Smith
[Part Five of the Chapter on Pawling]
Quaker Hill, the home of the first settlers who located in the town, is an elevated and fertile plateau three miles east of Pawling Village. This is one of the most romantic and picturesque regions in the County, whose attractions rival those of the Highlands and the Catskills. From the summit of this plateau, nearly sixteen hundred feet above tide water, and reached by steep and winding roads, a view of unsurpassed beauty is obtained, embracing in its scope the rugged peaks of the Catskills, the fertile plains of the valleys below in which nestle prosperous villages, and mile upon mile of rich farming land in the states of New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut. This is the eminence heretofore mentioned, whose history includes important reminiscences connected with the Revolution. In this vicinity, where dwelt the pioneers whose labors, made possible the present prosperity of the town, encamped Washington and the Revolutionary troops whose valor gave permanence to existing institutions and homes. Here, in the church, now old and gray, of a denomination whose mission it was to preach "peace on earth good will to men", were laid the wounded and dying heroes who shed their blood for the supremacy of the idea that all men were created free and equal. The grim old rafters of that ancient tabernacle resounded to their lamentations and groans, and the oaken floor still bears the crutch marks of the crippled and maimed who sought the shelter of its friendly roof. The encampment with its pomp and circumstance of war has disappeared; the patriots slumber near by in unremembered graves; the generation that knew the hopes and fears, the reverses and triumphs of those days has passed away, but the old church still remains, a monument to the patriotism of that trying time.
This meeting house of the Friends was built in 1764, eleven years before the breaking out of the Revolutionary War. It cost in those times, as would appear from the records, the sum of £236. The structure is plain and unpretending, but large, roomy and decidedly substantial; with oaken timbers whose massiveness attests its ability to stand the storms of another century. This is the second meeting house of the Friends in this vicinity. The first stood nearly opposite the present edifice, and was a smaller framed building. Then the present house was built it was sold and converted into a barn which has long since passed from existence. It stood on the farm since occupied by Stephen OSBORNE.
This hill so rich in historical lore has become a fashionable and popular summer resort. Up these steep and tortuous roads, over which rumbled the artillery of Revolutionary times, now sweeps the pleasure ladened "Tally-Ho", whose musical horn awakes the echoes which once resounded to the bugle-call, the rattling drum, and the stern challenge of the vigilant sentry.
Mizzen-Top, one of the most healthy and popular hotels in the State, was built through the energy and perseverance of Albert J. AKIN, who is the principal stock-holder, and who furnished the greater share of the money for the enterprise. The capital stock was originally $25,000, which has since been increased to $65,000. The building was begun in September, 1880, under the supervision of J. H. WOOD, of New York, architect, and was completed in June, 1881. It has a frontage of 342 feet, commanding an extensive view of mountain and valley scenery, and contains in all 145 rooms, 128 being used as sleeping apartments. The servants' departments are in a separate building containing sixteen rooms. The interior of the hotel is finished in the most modern style, and has all the conveniences of bath rooms, gas, steam heating apparatus, billiard room, bowling alleys, and telegraphic communication with New York. The pure spring water, with which the house is supplied, is derived from the adjacent hills, while that which is used for the fountain and for fire purposes, is forced from a glen some quarter of a mile distant. The officers of the Mizzen-Top Hotel Company are John B. DUTCHER, President; Cyrus SWAN, Vice President; George W. CHASE, Secretary and Treasurer. The house is now conducted by James L. JONES, of New York, a man of much experience in this business.
A short distance from this resort is a beautiful is a beautiful structure known as Akin Hall, a model of architectural neatness and taste without and within. This building in its name memorizes one of the oldest families in the town. It was erected in 1880, by Hon. Albert J. AKIN, by whom it was endowed and donated to trustees who are limited to no age, sect or sex. The Hall was opened to the public on the 13th
of July 1881.
Typed and submitted by
Lynn Airheart Brandvold
My Genealogy Pages
Here the Pawling Chapter Continues with a section on Pawling in the War of the Rebellion
Back to Town History and Biography Index Page