In the winter of 1886 Bishop Ryan was wearied with his long labors in the diocese, and found it necessary to seek a milder climate to regain his health, and he proceeded to California for rest. The cathedral residence had become undesirable on account of the many trains passing over the tracks adjoining the cathedral property, and on account of the many manufactories in the surrounding district. For some time prominent Catholics of the city had discussed the desirability of a more favorable location for the residence of their Bishop. Whilst he was absent in California a handsome piece of property was secured on Delaware Avenue near Utica Street. This part of the city had grown rapidly in population for some years previous, and it became evident that a church would soon be necessary to accommodate the Catholics living in that part of the city. Preparations were made for the building of the chapel and also a handsome residence in Delaware Avenue for the Bishop. The corner-stone of the chapel was laid in the summer of 1888, and the chapel was dedicated on the 26th day of May, 1889. The first Mass was said on that day by the Rev. James E. Quigley, D. D., who was then rector of St. Joseph's Cathedral. Bishop Ryan announced at the services that the Rev. James F. McGloin would have charge of the chapel and the little congregation which would be organized in that district. The Bishop took up his residence in his new home the same year. The congregation increased very rapidly, so much so that it was soon evident that before many years a larger church would be necessary to accommodate the increasing number of Catholics, who were securing homes in this pleasant part of the city. Father McGloin bought the handsome Newman property at the corner of Delaware Avenue and Utica Street in March, 1902. Here he hoped some day to have a handsome church, which would be an ornament to this part of the city, sufficiently large to accommodate one of the most important congregations of the diocese, and which would also be a suitable chapel for the head of one of the principal dioceses of the United States. Bishop Colton, however, decided to build a new marble cathedral instead of a parish church, and when the new cathedral was opened the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament was merged in St. Joseph's Cathedral.
Back to Buffalo Parishes.
Cheektowaga, New York