HOLY NAME CHURCH
When the West Shore car shops were established at East Buffalo a large
number of mechanics were attracted to this part of the city. A little
community soon sprung up here of men engaged in the West Shore car shops,
and many of these were Catholics. This little settlement was far
removed from any Catholic church, and Bishop Ryan soon took steps to organize
a little congregation for these people. He commissioned the Rev.
J. C. Long to organize the new parish. Father Long dwelt for a time
at the cathedral until he assembled his people and secured a place in which
to hold services. He bought property in 1884, on Bailey Avenue, a
short distance from Walden Avenue. He soon erected a small frame
building for church purposes and secured an old frame building which he
converted into a school He rented a house on Bailey Avenue, which
he used for a parochial residence until he built a comfortable house on
BUFFALO, NEW YORK
He was succeeded in February, 1896, by the Rev. D. M. Reilly.
Father Reilly placed the parish in good financial condition, and then turned
his thoughts to a new church. The congregation had been growing for
some years, and the little frame building was no longer large enough to
accommodate the numbers who came to the services on Sundays. Father
Reilly accumulated a fund for the new building, and he felt so secure in
the enthusiasm and co-operation of his people that he laid plans for a
magnificent stone structure. The building is of St. Lawrence granite,
which gives a very solid and imposing appearance to the church, making
it an ornament to that section of the city.
The new church was dedicated June 14, 1904, and it was solemnly consecrated
in August, 1908. It cost $60,000. Father Reilly started the
new school in July, 1913, and had it dedicated the following May.
It cost $56,000.
Father Reilly died, March 29, 1919, and was succeeded by the present
pastor, the Rev. Adam Scheidel.
Rev. Thomas Donohue, D.D., History of the Diocese of Buffalo
(Buffalo, New York: The Buffalo Catholic Publication Co., Inc., 1929),
Back to Buffalo Parishes.
Cheektowaga, New York