CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF THE B.V.M.
For some years it was evident that a new church would be needed between
the Holy Angels' and the Annunciation parishes, to furnish sufficient accommodation
for the Catholics of that district. Bishop Quigley assigned this
difficult task to the Rev. Daniel Walsh in 1898. Father Walsh went
to work with his usual energy and determination. And he soon had
secured property in a favorable locality and built a temporary structure,
in which he held services for the large congregation he had assembled.
He laid his plans for a beautiful stone church building and a fine parochial
residence, both of which were completed in the summer of 1903. Father
Walsh lived in a rented house on Ferry Street until his new residence
was completed. Bishop Colton blessed this new church the second Sunday
after his arrival in Buffalo. The school connected with this parish
was formerly a branch of the Holy Angels' parochial school.
BUFFALO, NEW YORK
Father Walsh broke ground for the new church in the spring of 1901,
and he had everything ready for the cornerstone ceremony, which was conducted
by Bishop Quigley, August 1, 1901.
The fine school was begun in the spring of 1911. The cornerstone
was laid July 16, 1911, and was completed a year later.
Father Walsh died February 23, 1920, and the Rev. Daniel O'Brien came
shortly after as pastor of the Nativity. In April, 1921, Father O'Brien
bought a house adjoining the church and remodeled it into a convent home
for the sisters. Father O'Brien is still the pastor of Nativity.
Rev. Thomas Donohue, D.D., History of the Diocese of Buffalo
(Buffalo, New York: The Buffalo Catholic Publication Co., Inc., 1929),
Back to Buffalo Parishes.
Cheektowaga, New York