OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP CHURCH
This parish was created by Bishop Quigley on the 25th of March, 1897.
It was formed from portions of St. Brigid's and St. Stephen's parishes.
The Rev. R. C. O'Connell was appointed first pastor of the new parish and
he held the first services in the club house at 100 Louisiana Street, on
the 11th of July, 1897. Father O'Connell purchased property at the
corner of Sandusky and Alabama Streets shortly after his appointment as
pastor, where he began the erection of a magnificent stone church edifice
a few months after taking charge of the new congregation. The corner-stone
of the church was laid by Bishop Quigley on November 21, 1897. As
soon as the basement of the new church was finished, the club house was
abandoned, and services were held in the new basement until the church
was completed. The church was dedicated by Bishop Quigley on the
21st of March, 1900. The building is of Medina sandstone, and is
a very pleasing Gothic style of architecture. A handsome brown stone
frame residence was erected the same year that the church was completed.
BUFFALO, NEW YORK
Father O'Connell died February 8th, 1907, and was succeeded one month
later by the Rev. Thomas P. Lynch.
Father Lynch soon planned the fine large school, which was completed
The convent was built the following year.
Father Lynch promoted devotion to the Blessed Virgin under the title
of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, and he attributes much of the success of
his undertakings to this devotion.
The Rev. John J. Sheehy was appointed pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual
Help parish in September, 1923.
Rev. Thomas Donohue, D.D., History of the Diocese of Buffalo
(Buffalo, New York: The Buffalo Catholic Publication Co., Inc., 1929),
Back to Buffalo Parishes.
Cheektowaga, New York